Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

My 2011 Forte with 226k km needs calipers all around according to the dealer. Usually Id be sceptical of the dealer, but I went in for a transmission fluid change and they guy said dont bother, just buy another car. Never offered me a sales rep or anything, didnt really seem to care to sell me a new one, just didnt want me to waste money on maintenance, or so he said. I was also looking fairly rough coming from work so it might have been genuine.

Fronts are seized causing blueing (Im told):

Rears are seized causing record grooves (Im also told):

I can buy calipers for $500, but would need to replace pads and rotors as well as apparently theyre all messed up from being dragged constantly. They also said to change out the flex lines.

My midpipe is super worn, and Im told I also have an oil leak from a silicone gasket on top of the engine(?). Also front suspension bushings need replacing as theyre drying out and separating from housing.

My question is: fix it, limp it through the winter so prices might come down, or buy another car now?

I dont know how to do any of this stuff so Id be paying a local guy to do the labour. I dont have a garage so all I ever do is change tires.

Edit: imgur doesnt like me I guess. Posting from the app, sorry no photos

Edit2: I made an album so you can tell me the dealer was lying about the flex lines probably

https://imgur.com/a/50GueGJ

i wrote/accidentally deleted a longer thing but tl;dr i would not worry too much about any of that stuff. all looks like a normal lovely old kia, nothing dangerous or about to fail. you can get cheap calipers for ~$150 and nice ones ~$300, 500 is a lot. the brake stuff is doable solo by a beginner if you were interested, bushings would need some kind of press, old rusty exhaust is a real pain in the rear end. valve cover leaking oil is nbd either and a real easy fix. what to do very much depends on needs/budget/skillset/just plain personal preference, but if i were dailying your kia i'd probably start looking for a deal on a car i liked better and try to sell this one before anything actually went wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Whats your financial situation and whats the best outcome for you?

A lot of this is just routine things that need to be done on a vehicle this age.

Hows the rest of the car?

Im on the fence on what to recommend. Paying shop prices to get all this work done is going to be expensive. If you could do this yourself Id go that way but thats not an option.

Prices arent going to go down anytime soon. If you were going to to replace the car soon anyway Id go ahead and do that. If you need the car to last a little longer thats doable. If I was just trying to make it a few months Id look at replacing the lube in the caliper slide pins and try to unstick them, maybe slap a cheap set of pads on there depending on what the existing pads look like.

I live in the southern US and Ive heard the cold north is hell on cars. Down here theres lots of life left in a 2011 even with 140k miles. Not sure how the overall condition of your car is. If its all rusted and in not great shape you may be better off replacing it.

I have money for a new car so Im not too bothered by it. Not looking forward to payments, but this thing has served me well and I dont feel shortchanged at all.

Its in good shape for 11 winters of road salt. Wheel wells are clean. Theres one worrying rock chip that turned into a big deep rust spot at the border of the windshield. I sanded and paint penned it years ago but it came back anyway. I told myself Id fix it but at this point I dont see the point.

I had heard that 2022 would be a good time to buy as chips returned to the market, so thought I could limp it through. If thats unlikely, Ill just get something now (depending on stock).

KIA Seltos are apparently in pretty short supply, but Im test driving one tomorrow. Sales guy said 3-4 month wait for an order, so is trying to steer me to a Sportage (which I dont want). Im planning on checking out the Crosstrek and the CX-30 as well, which are more likely victors.

I appreciate the advice, sounds like my thinking wasnt too off the mark.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

pnac attack posted:

i wrote/accidentally deleted a longer thing but tl;dr i would not worry too much about any of that stuff. all looks like a normal lovely old kia, nothing dangerous or about to fail. you can get cheap calipers for ~$150 and nice ones ~$300, 500 is a lot. the brake stuff is doable solo by a beginner if you were interested, bushings would need some kind of press, old rusty exhaust is a real pain in the rear end. valve cover leaking oil is nbd either and a real easy fix. what to do very much depends on needs/budget/skillset/just plain personal preference, but if i were dailying your kia i'd probably start looking for a deal on a car i liked better and try to sell this one before anything actually went wrong

Thanks. Is it worth a private sale? Seats have some coffee stains from over the years. Ill need to give it a clean. Also various scratches on the back bumper due to people not knowing how to parallel park.

Someone said I could get $500 as a trade-in which seams like a lowball offer but honestly I dont know any better. A colleague brought his ancient Matrix to the wreckers and got $500 for it. Any idea how much I could ask for it as a trade?

For private sale, theyre going for a few grand:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/for...%200B8&sprx=100

Mine looks like that but is one trim tier above, with some coffee stains on the driver seat and the scratched rear bumper.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

Thanks. Is it worth a private sale? Seats have some coffee stains from over the years. Ill need to give it a clean. Also various scratches on the back bumper due to people not knowing how to parallel park.

Someone said I could get $500 as a trade-in which seams like a lowball offer but honestly I dont know any better. A colleague brought his ancient Matrix to the wreckers and got $500 for it. Any idea how much I could ask for it as a trade?

For private sale, theyre going for a few grand:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/for...%200B8&sprx=100

Mine looks like that but is one trim tier above, with some coffee stains on the driver seat and the scratched rear bumper.

$500 is loving you, without even looking if it's running/driving/not wrecked it'd sell for at least triple that private party in a day. my sales strat is to do all the little things you can, list high, and not be in a hurry. just being clean/a nice place to sit makes a huge difference. not really the guy to ask about trade-in value, never bought a car from a dealership

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
For another data point, I sold a 2005 Subaru Outback with 150K miles and a blown headgasket for $1,000 US back in March. Took two days to sell, though a lot of dealing with craigslist shitheads during that time.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And yet another data point, trading in will always gently caress you - $500 for an older car is the norm. Carvana and Carmax, however, will buy your car, generally for a lowish fair price. It's better than dealing with Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

Darchangel had a good experience with a broker that handled everything for a private party sale though (minus a small fee), maybe if he sees this he can remind me of who it was. He got his Spectra sold in 1 or 2 days through them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

skipdogg posted:

Whats your financial situation

I am extremely well off but I feel like its rude of you to ask.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

A private sale is looking good then, or at least I can lean on a dealer for more trade-in value. Ive also seen on here not to bring up the prospect of a trade until late in the buying process so Ill keep that in mind.

Ideally Id like to buy a demo unit or something used with low mileage but I enjoyed the peace of mind and full warranty that buying new provided last time.

Ive seen a lot of ads for Unhaggle and similar sites. I really hate haggling, especially since everyone seems to want MSRP right now. I might look into one of those sites to save me some time. Id be interested to know if anyone has experience buying like that.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I am extremely well off but I feel like its rude of you to ask.

I wish that were the case lol. My wife and I have been lucky to keep our jobs through the pandemic and we have some money saved so Ive been mentally prepared to buy something for a while. Just dont want to sink too much money in repairing something that wont last.

One thing I didnt mention is that I already replaced front ball joints, and the guy that did it said a steering rack is definitely next on the list. All of these things piling up make me want to peace out rather than dig in.

STR posted:

And yet another data point, trading in will always gently caress you - $500 for an older car is the norm. Carvana and Carmax, however, will buy your car, generally for a lowish fair price. It's better than dealing with Craigslist or FB Marketplace.

Darchangel had a good experience with a broker that handled everything for a private party sale though (minus a small fee), maybe if he sees this he can remind me of who it was. He got his Spectra sold in 1 or 2 days through them.

Thanks for the tips. Ive never done any of this before so very happy for the input. Ill check out those services, never thought of such a thing.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My power steering system runs exclusively on STP High Mileage Power Steering Fluid + Stop Leak. By which I mean there is no longer any normal PS fluid in the system. It is running on pure stop leak.

It went from pissing out all the fluid out in a day, to leaking several ounces per oil change. It still does leak a little, which causes the underside of my car to be permanently nasty. But for practical purposes, it fixed my PS leak.

e: And keep pouring it in. It took several bottles to stabilize my leak. I think desperation makes it work better.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 22, 2021

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Just to follow up on my partial tune up from a week or so ago. Yesterday I took the car out for the longest drive since putting the new plugs in. Wow, car ran so nice and the mileage gauge showed a huge improvement. In hindsight it seems crazy to wait until 100k miles to change the plugs.

So I'm thinking about finishing the job off and replacing the coil packs just to be thorough and, WOW, coil packs are expensive! The cheapest OEM Motorcraft I've found are $60 each. I'm not sure what I expected, but that's more than I expected. Guess I'll be saving up my pennies.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ryanrs posted:

My power steering system runs exclusively on STP High Mileage Power Steering Fluid + Stop Leak. By which I mean there is no longer any normal PS fluid in the system. It is running on pure stop leak.

It went from pissing out all the fluid out in a day, to leaking several ounces per oil change. It still does leak a little, which causes the underside of my car to be permanently nasty. But for practical purposes, it fixed my PS leak.

e: And keep pouring it in. It took several bottles to stabilize my leak. I think desperation makes it work better.

lmao just picturing the inside of your PS line, and its got like the consistency of chewing gum

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

More like uncured epoxy. But yes, it is very much like that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

Just to follow up on my partial tune up from a week or so ago. Yesterday I took the car out for the longest drive since putting the new plugs in. Wow, car ran so nice and the mileage gauge showed a huge improvement. In hindsight it seems crazy to wait until 100k miles to change the plugs.

So I'm thinking about finishing the job off and replacing the coil packs just to be thorough and, WOW, coil packs are expensive! The cheapest OEM Motorcraft I've found are $60 each. I'm not sure what I expected, but that's more than I expected. Guess I'll be saving up my pennies.

I wouldn't just replace your coilpacks, the value isn't there like it is for spark plug replacement IMO.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can get a spark gap tester for like $10 and run through the cylinders to see how strong the coils are. I was in the same spot as you last year and turned out my coils were all working great.

I have one like this, seems to work fine but I've never tried another type so maybe there is a better kind.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Depending on the engine, 100k miles is pretty standard for a change interval (iridium, non-boosted engine).

For boosted engines, change interval may be more like 60k, depending on the maker.

To be honest, if you're not hooning around everywhere, your plugs can probably go past 100k miles by quite a bit. It's not crazy :D

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
2017 F150 XL supercab 4x4 3.5L ecoboost with 4k miles: good deal at $34k?

My wife wants to tow an Airstream and get rid of our 2010 Odyssey.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Four year-old 4x4 and four thousand miles? :magemage:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Four year-old 4x4 and four thousand miles? :magemage:

Apparently the seller's wife is rich and buys him whatever he wants, and he's bored with this (the guy is a friend of my wife's friend). It lives the sunset in SF. It's got steelies so it's a work truck as far as I can tell. I can't argue with 4x4 combined with a 3.5L Ecoboost- that's pretty sweet. KBB says around $30k private party.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

AnnoyBot posted:

Apparently the seller's wife is rich and buys him whatever he wants, and he's bored with this (the guy is a friend of my wife's friend). It lives the sunset in SF. It's got steelies so it's a work truck as far as I can tell. I can't argue with 4x4 combined with a 3.5L Ecoboost- that's pretty sweet. KBB says around $30k private party.

People are pretty much always going to lie about the stories they tell about the cars they sell. This sounds super fishy, and even then a car that has sat around for the better part of 4 years is likely to have more issues than one that has been driven a lot. Definitely at the very least take it to a trusted mechanic and have them look it over.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Lowball em. Serious note its probably not too bad? I don't really follow the 150 line. Bonus if it has the tow pack or max tow.

Anybody have experience with corbeau seats, long term etc? 4wd forums seem to hit two points that they're either poo poo and fall apart or they're great.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
It seems to have the basic tow package (2 plugs + hitch). I looked up the VIN and it didn't mention towing. The 4x4 XLs with the 3.5L on autotrader seem to be $26-29k, with more miles and alloy wheels. I agree that the story could be just a story, and that a mechanic check and request for service records would be in order. Lowballing shouldn't be too hard given the comps.

Thanks all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Some packages are dealer-fitted (rather than factory fitted) so won't show on VINs

No idea about if that's the case here

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AnnoyBot posted:

It seems to have the basic tow package (2 plugs + hitch). I looked up the VIN and it didn't mention towing. The 4x4 XLs with the 3.5L on autotrader seem to be $26-29k, with more miles and alloy wheels. I agree that the story could be just a story, and that a mechanic check and request for service records would be in order. Lowballing shouldn't be too hard given the comps.

Thanks all.

I would go for it, always negotiate what you can out of it. The 4k miles are unusual but not implausible. Sounds like it's not a luxury trim, and didn't become anyone's daily driver.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When it's cold outside the doors of my BMW G31 5-series touring freeze shut and it can be very difficult to get them open. It looks like it's mainly freezing in a bit that is not exposed, so spraying de-icer on it doesn't seem to do much.

What the hell can I do? I feel like an idiot trying to get them open and it can make me late for stuff.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Maybe this thread is relevant to your doors?

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/144756-off-side-rear-doors-in-the-frost/

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

When it's cold outside the doors of my BMW G31 5-series touring freeze shut and it can be very difficult to get them open. It looks like it's mainly freezing in a bit that is not exposed, so spraying de-icer on it doesn't seem to do much.

What the hell can I do? I feel like an idiot trying to get them open and it can make me late for stuff.

this isn't specific to your car at all, and what you can do is spray silicone lube on your door seals. doesn't 100% prevent this, but it'll happen less often/not be as bad

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

pnac attack posted:

this isn't specific to your car at all, and what you can do is spray silicone lube on your door seals. doesn't 100% prevent this, but it'll happen less often/not be as bad

WD-40 will do it too, or at least disrupt it enough so the ice doesn't get a good seal going

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, I'll give some silicone lube a try.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AnnoyBot posted:

Thanks all.

Where did you look up the VIN? Sometimes with Fords you can look up the actual original window sticker and that will tell you all the options but it's not decoding the VIN its just pulling the window sticker out of a database. Not all options are coded into VINs. In fact hardly any of them are.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hey everyone. My tail light got smashed, and I got the idea in my head to replace it myself, since it seemed like a pretty simple and fun job to do. Upon trying to order the OEM part from a retailer online they insisted they needed my VIN. Did I fall into a classic scam, or is this normal? I had the part number and everything so I'm not really sure why they insist on needing the Vehicle Identification Number to begin with. Is this normal, and are there things I need to be aware of when trying to buy parts online? This has left me pretty confused. Is the VIN even something I need to worry about sending out to strangers? Thanks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Perfectly normal.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I guess the better question is: Do I have to ever worry about giving out my Vehicle Identification Number?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hell astro course posted:

I guess the better question is: Do I have to ever worry about giving out my Vehicle Identification Number?

No. And for most manufacturers it indicates not only make/year/model but also package/trim model, therefore what parts that particular car needs for various things. Since most people are idiots and returns are expensive the online parts companies often require a VIN that matches those expensive parts you are ordering so they can reduce morons calling up yelling at them for sending them the wrong thing (the thing they specifically requested).

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Motronic posted:

No. And for most manufacturers it indicated package/trim model, therefore what parts that particular car needs for various things. Since most people are idiots and returns are expensive the online parts companies often require a VIN that matches those expensive parts you are ordering so they can reduce morons calling up yelling at them for sending them the wrong thing (the thing they specifically requested).

Yeah, i did all my homework to make sure it was the right part. I was just sort of taken aback that the make/model/year/package wasn't enough, but if it's a harmless number to give out then I can relax. I was just worried I was getting into something shady by accident. Thanks for the answer!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hell astro course posted:

if your car was involved in crimes and you're worried about a paper trail

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
A big reason for needing a vin is because there can be variations in which parts a car was equipped with not just from year to year but even from month to month or week to week depending on suppliers. The left bank oxygen sensor for a 2020 f150 might be a different part number for one made in January vs one made in June.
*Sometimes* the manufacturer may have to slightly tweak the ECU to work properly with a sensor that is slightly different so if your ride was built on January and you get an o2 sensor for one made in June things may get funky.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Also your VIN is just out and visible on the dashboard of your car to anyone that wants to take a look. A VIN is not like a social security number for your car or anything.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Also your VIN is just out and visible on the dashboard of your car to anyone that wants to take a look. A VIN is not like a social security number for your car or anything.
I mean, maybe YOURS is :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I mean, maybe YOURS is :q:

I am *still* upset about the rental car worker who couldn't possibly comprehend why my C10 didn't have a VIN tag on the dash, and insisted she needed to check the VIN to make sure I wasn't driving off with one of their cars.

This was twenty loving years ago.