Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how when offered to have SAM implanted into his head like the humans on the Tempest Drack just says "gently caress no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Tiny Deer posted:

The thing I think a lot of the discussion about hard vs soft sci-fi actually revolves around is internal consistency.

Basically, when we read stories we expect them to follow their own internally consistent rules. As long as those rules are clear and make sense to us we accept all kinds of unreal things in the story as being true within the context of a world that isn't ours, but still obeys rules we either have laid out for us explicitly or (and this is the trick of 'show, not tell') infer based on how the world is presented to us as working.

Mass Effect started off from a few made up premises, but it used to stick by the rules it set up for its fictional elements. Mass effect fields aren't real, but the writers treated them as if they were and, as 'real' things within the fiction, they obeyed certain rules.

Compare to SAM and for bonus points try to coherently explain a) how SAM interfaces with Ryder and b) what can't SAM do, if anything?

I don't know that I look at it the same way, there's lots of "soft" sci-fi that is internally consistent.

Whether or not I feel like a story is hard sci-fi is usually based on whether the story uses true-to-life orbital mechanics :v:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Skippy McPants posted:

This part pissed me off. What with everyone in your squad screaming about how you're doomed when it's like ten guys plus an Ascendant. I've had more trouble with random camps on Voeld. I get that they wanted to endear you to Raeka, but that situation was so contrived that it had the opposite effect on me.

It's not the guys that you're fighting so much as the fact that you're trapped in that room and all the doors are disabled.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Burkion posted:

She really didn't.

The only fight I ever had any trouble with in the entire game was the Architect fight on ice world, and that was because it was the first one I accidentally ran into at a super low level, 25 I think. I had the worst powers in the world for it, too- Charge, Nova and my Remnant VI. My guns were all shotguns, and really lovely ones too.

I died twice- the first time I tried to take cover too much and the second time the environment got me. So I just buckled down and Vanguarded harder than ever and it was the most fun I had in the entire game. Just really fun and challenging. The fact that I had lovely weapons and the only power I had that could do a drat thing was charge really did help matters. The environment being so dangerous also added a level of difficulty that I loved.

And then I leveled up further and decided to save the other fights with those fuckers til I got some better powers and a better shotgun because I knew they leveled to you.

That was a mistake. That was a giant mistake.

The fight on Eladan just was really sad. I felt bad about it. Never once was I in any danger. It was just such a let down from earlier.

I died to the Architect on Voeld a few times because of the electrical stuff underneath, I just didn't notice it! The one on Eos was super easy.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, started playing a few days ago, managed to make it to The Ice Planet (of two options, I assume the other one was The Jungle Planet) and here's a few observations

- Facial expressions are really goofy at times
- The dialogue camera is really odd, a lot of times I'm talking with someone a 3rd person is talking off-camera and all I see is my shoulder, neither me or the 2nd person will look at who is talking
- Male Ryder seems horribly incompetent at his task and makes up for it by cracking silly jokes and shooting everything on sight (this is might be a positive)
- Fighting respawning kett and remnant clusters is not very fun
- Who the hell thought those glyph puzzles were a good idea (thank heavens for online help)
- Crafting system is still really overwhelming

Here's my biggest gripe coming from ME: my crew feels really bland so far. Maybe it gets better over time? I mean, my team is full now and my boy-girl romance options all seem really lame.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tiny Deer posted:

Compare to SAM and for bonus points try to coherently explain a) how SAM interfaces with Ryder and b) what can't SAM do, if anything?

Let me try: your implant is hooked up to your nervous system and transmitting your senses to SAM, who uses that data to grow his understanding of life. In turn, SAM has complete control of your tech, biotic implant, and nervous system and can fine tune it to optimize your abilities. Your private channel? I think of it like the CODEC system from Metal Gear Solid; SAM is stimulating your inner ear to "speak" to you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiny Deer posted:

A) there's a tiny jack behind your ear, that's where you put your cyber implants
B) make love

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TeaJay posted:

- Who the hell thought those glyph puzzles were a good idea (thank heavens for online help)

I will continue to laugh at everyone that makes this complaint.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Tiny Deer posted:

SAM can't tell you where the signal is coming from unless you scan four more objects scattered around the map

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love doing the glyph puzzles and I'm sad there aren't more at them and :newlol: at anyone who thinks they're hard. Like you people are all using computers and probably know poo poo like Algebra and you can't solve the most basic kind of logic puzzle that exists?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Those puzzles you have to logic out like maybe two glyphs. After that it's just click the spot until you see the one that's missing from the line/zone. Haven't had one take more than like 2 minutes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm just surprised that each puzzle was Sudoku instead of Towers of Hanoi.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jaal is more believable when you remember that Milky Way technology and culture is loving rad. Of course he's stoked.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

HAmbONE posted:

Contagion - Nexus Task

Initiative member somehow smuggles his Aunt on board the Human Ark and she is unknowingly a carrier of SPACE AIDS. SPAIDS is airborne, fatal to all the Races, and has a built-in countdown.

The Hyperion Captain, instead of instigating emergency quarantine procedures, calls you back from your mission of doing everything to deal with this on the down low.

The infected person somehow manages to steal a shuttle and then proceeds to explore more of the galaxy than I have. IN A loving SHUTTLE. A SHUTTLE THAT IS BROKEN.

I hate this because:

1. The story: Everything has gone wrong with the Initiative. We have our own traitors, threatened by rebel Angaara, and we are at war with the Kett. Security should be a lot tighter. A colonist, somewhat freshly out of cryo, stealing a shuttle is terrible, lazy writing. The conclusion is just as terrible

2. Look we made this: Why is she flying from system to system in a damaged shuttle? In a hostile galaxy, with mysterious space cancer that's hard to navigate and destroys ships. Thankfully I did this mission after the update so I could shave some time off the travel

3. I want to go on but then I feel I've already put more thought into this game than Bioware

Is there really any reason at all to not kill both terminally ill space AIDS woman and bio-terrorist guy and put an end to all that in one go?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think it's more that people are not interested in playing sudoku in the middle of an action rpg. If they wanted to do that they'd whip out their phone. And you can claim its all "haha you're just a dummy," but not everyone can just switch brain modes from third person shooter directly to analytical puzzle solving in a heartbeat, nor should they be expected to do so.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you like the idea of military sci-fi about a group of alien species exploring a strange galaxy, but are disappointed by ME:A's story, there's a tabletop game called Fragged Empire you should check out. It's not hard sci-fi by any means (they have jump gates and Cronenberg guns), but the aliens are all linked in that they were engineered by an advanced species who then abandoned them. They're recolonizing the galaxy after a disastrous war, with a total known population of under 100 million.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Is there really any reason at all to not kill both terminally ill space AIDS woman and bio-terrorist guy and put an end to all that in one go?

It'll make some faceless APEX scrub sad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sudoku is easy once you realize you're looking for the most constrained character. Figure out what that has to be and move on to the next-most-constrained character and so on until you're done.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The sudoku... is not good.

I did the first one, the next one I googled them or used the item that the game give you to skip them.

In contrast, I sincerely enjoyed all minigames in Skyrim, ESO, Alpha Protocol and Fallout games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The sudoku is fine. Walking around with your scanner out looking for glyphs is not much fun, though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It is, and this choice has an effect on gameplay for the remaining story missions in the game. If you save the salarians, behemoths become regular minibosses in the remaining story missions. If you save the krogan, it's the much weaker fiends instead.

This wasn't the reason I saved Raeka the first time, but it's the reason I'll save her the second time I play for sure. Behemoths are more interesting to fight that fiends, and don't have sync kills.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

The sudoku is fine. Walking around with your scanner out looking for glyphs is not much fun, though.

I'm only like halfway done but one of those was actually good - the console is in an ice cave but you have to actually leave and climb on top to find the Glyph because the pillar is sticking up outside the ice. It was fun!

ashpanash posted:

And you can claim its all "haha you're just a dummy," but not everyone can just switch brain modes from third person shooter directly to analytical puzzle solving in a heartbeat

dude it takes like 3 seconds to switch profiles, come on

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Reclaimer posted:

It'll make some faceless APEX scrub sad.

didn't he know that, as pathfinder, my solution to all the nominal problems in the new cluster like renegade Kett, exiled Initiative diaspora, mysterious technology, and Angaran nationalists, has been to slaughter them by the hundreds? any other outcome would've been out of character.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sorry, but the crew stays pretty bland. They just don't make them like Dragon Age 2, or the slightly less robust but still amusing Planescape Torment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Sorry, but the crew stays pretty bland. They just don't make them like Dragon Age 2, or the slightly less robust but still amusing Planescape Torment.

ok this has gone too far

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

ok this has gone too far

Well, like in Torment, there's that sidequest about a guy who is actually a suit full of rats. Fine, neat. But in Dragon Age 2, we had an entire sidequest about your mother's murderer that spanned ten yeas and involved tragedy, loss, and hardship. It's pretty clear that where extra content is concerned, Dragon Age 2 just knew how to flesh it out in a more emotional and affecting way than Torment ever managed.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

The sudoku is really good and except for the first time it's not like they spring it on you out of nowhere. If you're going to go do remnant monoliths you'll probably have to do a sudoku so you can either get decryption keys or pull up google beforehand if you hate using your brain.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh my god the "Remtech" that you're supposed to risk your life grabbing as the wall of flame descends is vendor trash. This loving game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Well, like in Torment, there's that sidequest about a guy who is actually a suit full of rats. Fine, neat. But in Dragon Age 2, we had an entire sidequest about your mother's murderer that spanned ten yeas and involved tragedy, loss, and hardship. It's pretty clear that where extra content is concerned, Dragon Age 2 just knew how to flesh it out in a more emotional and affecting way than Torment ever managed.

Just imagine an ace attorney-style breakdown rn.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

precision posted:

B) make love

yet

:liara:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pick posted:

The best thing about Zombie Mom was the dramatic close up.

Also, holy poo poo, FemHawke is Ciri!

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 12, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do quests just break in this game or am I missing something? I'm doing the "search for the drive core" quest on Elaaden and the quest marker is still pointing at the second crashed shuttle you have to go to. They said something like Suvi was going to trace it but it's still doing the warmer/colder sensor noise and still seems to be homing in on the shipping container that I scanned a while ago.

edit: yup apparently known bug and Elaaden can't be colonized now on this save great AAA release

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 12, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But, man, when this game is good it's real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBaYOLfyR0Q

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

BrianWilly posted:

But, man, when this game is good it's real good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBaYOLfyR0Q
Is this all pre-scripted or did they edit out the dialogue wheel somehow? Because Sara Ryder answers the eyeballs question like a nerd and Jaal gets mad.

Kind of cool if they differentiated the twins like that

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That is cute, and yes, very different from fRyder's answer.

e: I guess it could also be based on what your dominant personality type is? But that seems less likely. Would be even cooler though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
How differentiated are the twins, anyway?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Cythereal posted:

It is, and this choice has an effect on gameplay for the remaining story missions in the game. If you save the salarians, behemoths become regular minibosses in the remaining story missions. If you save the krogan, it's the much weaker fiends instead.

behemoths are strong? on insanity i was literally able to stand in melee range and kill them with my sword

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yall throwin shade about there being two desert planets but goddamn this moon asteroid planet is PRETTY FUCKIN BORING aside from how fun it is to drive on

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Just imagine an ace attorney-style breakdown rn.

It's not their fault, Obsidian was an earlier company than BioWare and simply didn't have the same level of quality and finesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

How differentiated are the twins, anyway?

Not enormously, but I am noticing some differences playing Scott after a Sarah game and playing them with the same general responses. Sarah seems to be smarter, or at least more knowledgeable given her background as a scientist, and she's a lot dorkier. Scott is much less awkward (he's still very overwhelmed, just not as uncomfortable in the role of Big Heroic Leader Person as Sarah), more stoic in personality, and dumber.

Scott's been giving me the impression of an earnest dude in a position he's not ready for but he's trying his best. Sarah gave me the impression of a scientist and explorer who'd really rather be geeking out in a lab or exploring a ruin than fighting a war or leading the Initiative.