Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can also tell you that the Australians were good at jury rigging stuff; or at least the Australian squadron flying Short Sunderlands were. The Browning .303 was kinda underwhelming for shooting down airplanes, so the Australians would swap them out with .50 cals when they could lay hands on them. When the U-boats started staying on the surface to fight back, the aussies up-gunned their Sunderland's nose turret with .50s and mounted extra guns in nose mounts to "suppress" the German gun crews.

The Aussies also built a tank with a hull mounted water cooled machine gun, complete with cast cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

The Aussies also built a tank with a hull mounted water cooled machine gun, complete with cast cover.

All guns are phallic, but this one is the :dong:est I've ever seen.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
If the enemy didn't die from laughter the machine gun would finish the job.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Never change, Australia.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

TheFluff posted:

All the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight's currently flyable jets lined up in one shot. Closest to the camera J 29 Tunnan, then J 34 Hawker Hunter, Sk 60 (tail number 14, mostly hidden behind the Hunter), Sk 35C Draken and AJS 37 Viggen. And a DC-3.

All in all, A++ air show would visit every day
I visited the AIRPOWER air show in Zeltweg, Austria today. Should have brought a camera, but I'm glad I've brought binoculars.
What made my day was that the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight's also attended. Haven't seen a flying Draken since my childhood and can say that I'm not the only one who got a bit teary-eyed about it.

While a a planned Bf-109 flight was canceled, they filled the slot with a Viggen demonstrating that awesome thrust-reversal supported ability to land, turn around and blast off again.
Wouldn't really have appreciated that without this thread, thanks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
just got back from the NY airshow at Stewart, the fuckin Thunderbirds rule.... until one broke :laugh:

also the Navy F-18 demo team was having none of the Air Force's shenanigans and the dude decided to just run 8 consecutive high speed passes at the end of his set because gently caress everything that's why

e- one was real sketchy, too, even I winced when the cone started to become visible in the condensation

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also if you were one of the slack jawed yokels that stood up to get a better view at an air show I hate you so much right now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

also if you were one of the slack jawed yokels that stood up to get a better view at an air show I hate you so much right now

I want to straight publicly execute anyone who has a front row seat and stands up. It's so common.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

I want to straight publicly execute anyone who has a front row seat and stands up. It's so common.

dude I was 2nd row too so you nailed it

e- also gently caress the 20 foot long camera nerds taking blurry pictures no one wants to see in the most self-important way possible

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

just got back from the NY airshow at Stewart, the fuckin Thunderbirds rule.... until one broke :laugh:

also the Navy F-18 demo team was having none of the Air Force's shenanigans and the dude decided to just run 8 consecutive high speed passes at the end of his set because gently caress everything that's why

e- one was real sketchy, too, even I winced when the cone started to become visible in the condensation

Aww, I'm going tomorrow. What happened? Like an airplane broke during flight, or what?
Also, how were the static displays?

edit: Don't they have a special section for people with lens envy? Were you in the VIP tent?

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 4, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Russian Supreme Court has upheld a conviction against a blogger who correctly noted that the Soviet Union jointly invaded Poland with the Nazi government in 1939.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It's not peak Canada-fail until Bombardier is involved.

Also something about how this wouldn't have happened if only they'd built the Arrow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ah but you see at Nuremberg the Nazis were convicted of that invasion therefore its not Stalin/the USSR's fault.

The allies were kinda angry that the Soviets went full on show trial at times at Nuremberg...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

VikingSkull posted:

dude I was 2nd row too so you nailed it

e- also gently caress the 20 foot long camera nerds taking blurry pictures no one wants to see in the most self-important way possible

I went to an airshow at Rochester airport with my then-girlfriend a few years back, and there were no seats; we just brought lawn chairs and a picnic blanket and sat right up at the front by the fence.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Effective-Disorder posted:

Aww, I'm going tomorrow. What happened? Like an airplane broke during flight, or what?
Also, how were the static displays?

edit: Don't they have a special section for people with lens envy? Were you in the VIP tent?

Don't worry, nothing serious. He landed, the other guys kept flying, and then 6 popped back up and rejoined them. The static displays were kinda light, but you can crawl through a C-17, and there's a B-1 there, so I mean, c'mon. Plus Panchito might be the sexiest polished aircraft around.

Mortabis posted:

I went to an airshow at Rochester airport with my then-girlfriend a few years back, and there were no seats; we just brought lawn chairs and a picnic blanket and sat right up at the front by the fence.

Same setup as Stewart.

e- bonus points: I got a Lockheed shirt with the Raptor on it, on the back there's a picture of the Raptor and under it it says "The ISIS Solution (you're welcome)"

I mean, how could I not buy that?

e- also each day last year (the first they had this show) they drew like 30,000 people a day. If there were 50,000 people there yesterday, that's a light estimate. I'm so happy this show has been a success.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 4, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VikingSkull posted:

e- bonus points: I got a Lockheed shirt with the Raptor on it, on the back there's a picture of the Raptor and under it it says "The ISIS Solution (you're welcome)"

You should have gotten one with a picture of a Bronco instead.

Unless Daesh suddenly acquired some modern integrated air defense system and a competent crew to man it? Boasting that the Raptor is what's needed to bomb a pickup in the middle of the desert is like boasting that a Formula 1 car is what's needed to do grocery shopping. I mean, sure, you could drive to the mall in one, as it's in probably physically feasible, but...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Also, it's worth mentioning that the psycho Hornet pilot was callsign MacGruber

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

You should have gotten one with a picture of a Bronco instead.

Unless Daesh suddenly acquired some modern integrated air defense system and a competent crew to man it? Boasting that the Raptor is what's needed to bomb a pickup in the middle of the desert is like boasting that a Formula 1 car is what's needed to do grocery shopping. I mean, sure, you could drive to the mall in one, as it's in probably physically feasible, but...

Hey, it's the most combat the Raptor is likely to see.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

SimonCat posted:

I hope so.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hello everyone. Thanks for your WW3 book suggestions. I ordered a bunch off Amazon.

Now I have a need for WW2 Pacific Theatre Books. Air/Navy preferable, Ive already read a bunch of Marine stuff

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Phi230 posted:

Hello everyone. Thanks for your WW3 book suggestions. I ordered a bunch off Amazon.

Now I have a need for WW2 Pacific Theatre Books. Air/Navy preferable, Ive already read a bunch of Marine stuff

Shattered Sword, of course, though that's only one major battle.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Shattered Sword, previously mentioned, is the canonical one alongside The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Symonds' The Battle of Midway is more personal narrative to Shattered Sword's analytical approach, but also worth reading. Surface and Destroy: The Submarine Gun War in the Pacific is a good one about a little-explored aspect of the Pacific submarine war. In Harm's Way is more about the drifting Indianapolis survivors than any military action but merits a mention, and there was a good one I read about the Battle of Savo Island and the name escapes me at the moment, I'll edit if I remember it. Or if I don't, everything I see is either called The Battle of Savo Island or something like Getting Your poo poo Pushed In: You're Fuckin' Boned, I doubt I'll find the one I read.

You mentioned that you've already read a bunch of Marine stuff, but Given Up For Dead is a good one on the very brief early Battle of Wake Island it does not have a happy ending

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Silent Victory by Clay Blair is great regarding the submarine warfare. Details most actions by US submarines as well as the torpedo problem.
He also wrote a 5-6 long series regarding the German submarine war in the Atlantic during WW2.

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Victory-Submarine-against-Bluejacket/dp/155750217X

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cardiac posted:

Silent Victory by Clay Blair is great regarding the submarine warfare. Details most actions by US submarines as well as the torpedo problem.
He also wrote a 5-6 long series regarding the German submarine war in the Atlantic during WW2.

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Victory-Submarine-against-Bluejacket/dp/155750217X

This is a really great book, but beware that it gets a little dry in sections. He details each patrol, and sometimes has little ancillary information to make it interesting, falling back on what was attacked, what was claimed, and what was confirmed after the war for a dozen pages at a time.

At Dawn We Slept is an excellent mostly-firsthand account of the Pearl Harbor attack. Was also my first book exposure to WWII history, as a kid.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Japanese Destroyer Captain is an excellent memoir by Tameichi Hara, one of the better destroyer captains in the IJN. Most of the book deals with the nighttime cruiser/destroyer knife fights in the Solomons after Midway, and he really digs into the tactical level and how destroyer combat changed before and after the Allies really learned how to use radar. He also wrote the IJN's prewar torpedo manual so there is a lot of interesting content about the famous Long Lance torpedoes. And of course, the psychological stress of leading men into battle when it's increasingly clear you're on the losing side.

There are a lot of books about the Solomons naval battles but this is one of the only ones I've found from the Japanese side, and it's excellent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SimonCat posted:

I'm a lot less sure of that than I was in 2005. Especially when you think about how the F-22 is the frontline fighter until the 2040s+.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

gohuskies posted:

Japanese Destroyer Captain is an excellent memoir by Tameichi Hara, one of the better destroyer captains in the IJN. Most of the book deals with the nighttime cruiser/destroyer knife fights in the Solomons after Midway, and he really digs into the tactical level and how destroyer combat changed before and after the Allies really learned how to use radar. He also wrote the IJN's prewar torpedo manual so there is a lot of interesting content about the famous Long Lance torpedoes. And of course, the psychological stress of leading men into battle when it's increasingly clear you're on the losing side.

This one is an interesting read. Just be warned that while Hara was candid about the IJN's brutal discipline and had plenty of praise for his American adversaries, he was definitely in denial about Japan's conduct in China.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I loved Japanese Destroyer Captain, amazing what the Solomon's campaign looks like from the other side. American forces were like aliens, adapting and getting new technology...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

I loved Japanese Destroyer Captain, amazing what the Solomon's campaign looks like from the other side. American forces were like aliens, adapting and getting new technology...

I remember reading about Leyte, IIRC BB Yamashiro was just firing blindly into the night while taking fire from USN BBs that had great fire control radar. Yamashiro couldn't see poo poo and sank without ever even knowing where the enemy was.

Also PT boats creating a gauntlet of torpedoes

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I call this the, "lets pretend that the Marine Super Cobra, Sea Cobra, and Zulu Viper don't already exist" gambit.
https://warisboring.com/u-s-army-attack-helicopters-could-take-on-iranian-missile-boats-dfc2894655f8

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, Vella Gulf is a serious oh poo poo moment because the US had all these advantages and finally really put them together, and the Japanese had been losing the war with their victories, let alone something like that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Reading DD captain.

First few chapters about how he is a total nerd and cant talk to women

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

B4Ctom1 posted:

I call this the, "lets pretend that the Marine Super Cobra, Sea Cobra, and Zulu Viper don't already exist" gambit.
https://warisboring.com/u-s-army-attack-helicopters-could-take-on-iranian-missile-boats-dfc2894655f8

The Army already stations AH-64s in Kuwait, adding Cobras would be redundant.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

B4Ctom1 posted:

Or back up to that, it obviously takes special training to operate from a ship, why not give Army aviators practice and institutional knowledge?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if the radar equipped Longbow Apaches would have any extra advantage over open water, extra detection and engagement range?

Have no idea of the range for a radar guided hellfire is significantly further than laser etc. Optics are pretty good and FLIR might be better than radar for picking up patrol ships in choppy seas idk.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The Apache is designed to track and engage multiple armored vehicles at once, that translates to small boats very handily.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Besides, will the marines want to farm out CAS assets to the Navy if they can avoid it?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I wonder if the radar equipped Longbow Apaches would have any extra advantage over open water, extra detection and engagement range?

Have no idea of the range for a radar guided hellfire is significantly further than laser etc. Optics are pretty good and FLIR might be better than radar for picking up patrol ships in choppy seas idk.

We already employ hellfires from sea based choppers, mainly the Cobra and the Seahawk. Apaches at sea would be redundant really.

I mean at sea, tge helos get vectors from much more powerful surface search radars of their host ships

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Phi230 posted:

We already employ hellfires from sea based choppers, mainly the Cobra and the Seahawk. Apaches at sea would be redundant really.

It's not redundant if there are already Apaches in the Gulf. You'd have to bring in the Cobras and that would duplicate the capability already there.

No one is talking about stationing Apaches on ships outside of that particular scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

SimonCat posted:

It's not redundant if there are already Apaches in the Gulf. You'd have to bring in the Cobras and that would duplicate the capability already there.

No one is talking about stationing Apaches on ships outside of that particular scenario.

Yes, but it seems like folks are underestimating what it would take to do that as a "normal" thing.