Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
"baby" is slang for "Water chip" and "Shaun" is what you called your Water Chip. There, now its Fallout again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i also wish that the black brotherhood of steel field fatigueshad a backpack like the field scribe uniform
it's kinda weird that it doesn't since that's the only difference between 'em besides the color scheme, but i guess they wanted some variation

NecroMonster posted:

just wondering here but what would happen if you removed stat and skill checks from the dialogue choices in fo:nv without actually removing any of those binding dialogue choices?
you would lose out on the fantastic failure dialogue is what
unfortunately it seems nobody has the 'boy i sure would like some drugs right now' one in image form

RBA Starblade posted:

It's pretty obvious though that either way your character actually did and you're in denial over it happening, or just denying that anything that happened was your fault (it's not, the worst part of Lonesome Road is there is no way to sit down and explain to Ulysses what a Courier actually does). The Courier has a pre-built backstory the whole time.
that's a fair way to view it, though it still feels like there's enough ambiguity to where you can define just how out of his gourd he is in regards to whether you did the stuff or not

edit:
i just remembered that there's a speech skill check that lets you fake your way into pretending you're competent enough to perform brain surgery on caesar and then with a high enough luck check you can actually luck your way out into successfully doing so
so i guess you'd miss that because iirc it requires a failure on a medicine check after a passed one

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 17, 2015

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Patrolling the games thread almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter. You know, on account of all the meltdowns.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Buy the season pass. The Product loves it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

You reply:

[Triangle] This is the best Fallout game in a long time.

[Square] ...And if you ignore New Vegas, is the best Fallout game since the 2D or isometric ones.

[Axis] I better play again X-Com Under the deep than Fallout: Tactics.

[Circle] Fallout 1 and 2 where too similar to Baldurs Gate with a sci-fi universe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So Apparently when your vault-boy representation in the pip boy has his tongue out, he's got an addiction. Apparently I played half of the day yesterday while addicted and had no idea. I'm tempted to leave it but I've got stacks of mirelurk omelettes and poo poo that I cooked up for just this eventuality...

strong bird posted:

The perk system is constrictive because previously I would have raised my Small Guns score and been competent with all varieties of such guns instead of only being competent with one specific archetype, and I would have picked perks with interesting powers instead of 'Non-scoped, non-automatic bolt action rifles with wooden stocks do 10% more damage'. Thanks for reading.
I disagree, and was actually kinda annoyed how energy weapons' mods require the Science perk rather than Gun Nut, because I didn't really want to dump points into all the combat poo poo early in.. But on the difficulty I'm on enemies turn into horrible bullet sponges after level 14 or so unless you can keep stacking those max-level weapon mods on them to keep up with their hps getting exponentially higher.

Also multiple legendaries in cramped spaces means I have to magdump while hopped up on Jet more often than I'd prefer to.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
So all the talk about the corvega factory everyone was talking about using the main entrance for easypeasy way and all the other places are harder. But nobody was talking about the sewer entrance. Is that included already with the other entrances? Because it was really not very hard since raiders are literally deaf and can't hear me shooting rickety pipeguns two rooms over. Of course I'm only playing normal so that may be the issue.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Helios Grime posted:

So all the talk about the corvega factory everyone was talking about using the main entrance for easypeasy way and all the other places are harder. But nobody was talking about the sewer entrance. Is that included already with the other entrances? Because it was really not very hard since raiders are literally deaf and can't hear me shooting rickety pipeguns two rooms over. Of course I'm only playing normal so that may be the issue.
Yes, you're a loving genius and nobody has ever thought of the sewer pipes (which are remarkably hard to find if you don't know where to look and what to look for - took me an hour to find even when I knew what color the pipe was and vaguely where it was.)

Or, you just don't spend any time reading the thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW I built a level 2 trader and a clothing store in settlements with mostly no one working and I'm still only making like 30 caps an hour, so besides using them as convenient selling spots they actually do seem completely worthless for moneymaking.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Some of the better characterization and voice acting so far has been in the Memory Den scenes where you use a piece of Kellogg's brain to explore his childhood, life and such. Which makes me wonder if it was possible NOT to kill him and advance the story. I'm thinking not?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW I built a level 2 trader and a clothing store in settlements with mostly no one working and I'm still only making like 30 caps an hour, so besides using them as convenient selling spots they actually do seem completely worthless for moneymaking.
when used in conjunction with the water baron plan and their bizarrely fantastic stock they're pretty great for raking in money
also i'll be honest i totally ignored all the sewer pipes and stuff and only found out that they hold vast secrets and wonders due to a quest
now i'm left wondering just how many cool hidden lil alcoves and stuff i missed out on by ignoring them

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
update: water is working again, apparently it helps to withdraw it all and throw it in a Water Box or something instead of letting it sit in the workshop.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god I loving love jetpacks for power armor

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sankis posted:

Will building artillery at multiple settlements increase the range?
Yes.

Sankis posted:

Will npcs in power armor require fusion cores?
Yes, but they don't actually drain the cores. Since cores are weightless I just save my almost-drained cores and put those in when I want a companion to use the armor.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

god I loving love jetpacks for power armor

have you flown around that one guy at the atom cats garage who keeps talking about it?
i wonder if he reacts to that considering how the game has a lot of cool 'lil reaction bits to stuff like nick reacting to the mysterious stranger showing up

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I am enjoying this game. It is very fallouty.

Are you guys being nice and generous with the spoiler tags? Please say you are.

I survived my first round of ghouls, in Survivor mode. :hellyeah: My go-to gun for indoors remains the shotgun and I don't see myself progressing into melee until later.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fereydun posted:

when used in conjunction with the water baron plan and their bizarrely fantastic stock they're pretty great for raking in money
also i'll be honest i totally ignored all the sewer pipes and stuff and only found out that they hold vast secrets and wonders due to a quest
now i'm left wondering just how many cool hidden lil alcoves and stuff i missed out on by ignoring them

I've got 4 water purifiers, do I just need to buckle down, grab Science!, then make the jumbo one here and there? I've got like 5 stalls and 1 level 2 stall now and I don't know why I keep dumping money into it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So, as far as gathering materials for settlement building it seems like I have two options. Gather everything I see which necessitates fast travelling back and forth between my settlements and where I currently am to offload things. Or, only gather what I need at the time and come back later to get the other stuff I need.

The first one really takes me out of the game. The other option, combing through junk to find what I need, seems really dull.

Can I safely ignore building settlements and not miss a thing save for building settlements?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Viridiant posted:

So, as far as gathering materials for settlement building it seems like I have two options. Gather everything I see which necessitates fast travelling back and forth between my settlements and where I currently am to offload things. Or, only gather what I need at the time and come back later to get the other stuff I need.

The first one really takes me out of the game. The other option, combing through junk to find what I need, seems really dull.

Can I safely ignore building settlements and not miss a thing save for building settlements?

Yes, it's mostly there just for cosmetics.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What is the water baron plan?

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Make Industrial Water Purifiers, 40 water a pop. litter them everywhere you can for cheap water to sell

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So can anyone give me a low-spoiler hint at when the point of no return is for the Brotherhood/Railroad/Other faction choice? Is it Bunker Hill? The Brotherhood's mission there sounds like it'd piss off the Railroad but I can't see how the Railroad's mission would piss off anybody except the obvious.

roadhead posted:

Some of the better characterization and voice acting so far has been in the Memory Den scenes where you use a piece of Kellogg's brain to explore his childhood, life and such. Which makes me wonder if it was possible NOT to kill him and advance the story. I'm thinking not?

Agreed, Kellogg's voice actor is top-notch. And I'm thinking you're right, he says as much when you meet him.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 17, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I hope someone mods all the nuclear explosions in the game to include the nuclear double flash. poo poo bugs me even though it shouldn't. :shobon:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

I hope someone mods all the nuclear explosions in the game to include the nuclear double flash. poo poo bugs me even though it shouldn't. :shobon:

The Fallout nukes are all too small for the double flash to be seen by the human eye. You'd have to be using the special satellite nukes from FO3.

Seriously though, Highwater-Trousers is an amazing name for a satellite weapons system.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 17, 2015

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Jesus gently caress what the gently caress radscorpions gently caress

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deified Data posted:

So can anyone give me a low-spoiler hint at when the point of no return is for the Brotherhood/Railroad/Other faction choice? Is it Bunker Hill? The Brotherhood's mission there sounds like it'd piss off the Railroad but I can't see how the Railroad's mission would piss off anybody except the obvious.

The game will blatantly give you a popup that says "doing this will permanently aggro X faction. Y/N" so you can gently caress off and leave those quests until the last bitter moment.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cojawfee posted:

I just play the game and kill things. Sucks for some of you that can't get past your autism because your character doesn't get to be a trans dolphin who fought in the civil war and was transported four hundred years into the future.

Given that you just play the game and kill things, you probably think it's a waste that they devoted all these resources to your character and his backstory which you don't care at all about.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

2house2fly posted:

Given that you just play the game and kill things, you probably think it's a waste that they devoted all these resources to your character and his backstory which you don't care at all about.

It certainly was a waste because the attempt was lacklustre and basically a joke. Hard to imagine a more ham-fisted attempt to cram an idyllic family life, nuclear war, and wife/husband murder into five minutes.

If anybody seriously finds that immersive or emotionally engaging, you probably also find airport paperbacks the height of literature.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

By the way, any weapon with bleeds target for 25 damage is OP as gently caress. More-so if it can be made automatic or is a shotgun.

This is because each shot stacks the bleed damage, so an automatic bleeding weapon can do hundreds of damage a second in bleeds, which ignores armor resistance.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jeza posted:

If anybody seriously finds that immersive or emotionally engaging, you probably also find airport paperbacks the height of literature.
Oh there are several in this thread who are unironically what you are describing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeza posted:

It certainly was a waste because the attempt was lacklustre and basically a joke. Hard to imagine a more ham-fisted attempt to cram an idyllic family life, nuclear war, and wife/husband murder into five minutes.

The intro would have been a lot better if it was given more time but the last time Bethesda did that everybody threw a fit, so you can't really blame them for not doing it a second time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I just play the game and kill things. Sucks for some of you that can't get past your autism because your character doesn't get to be a trans dolphin who fought in the civil war and was transported four hundred years into the future.

This whole character background thing is a red herring. The real issue is that the quest design almost never allows for things to go more than one way or for quests to have more than one path, which just destroys any chance this game had of serious replayability that isn't just driven by mods. Bethesda's "quantity over quality" approach with side quests really shows here. "Your character has a set background" is just one part of the ways this game prevents you from having a truly different experience on a second or third playthrough.

(Why am I responding seriously? Am I broken? I'm broken, aren't I?)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

The intro would have been a lot better if it was given more time but the last time Bethesda did that everybody threw a fit, so you can't really blame them for not doing it a second time.
No bullshit introductions that allowed you to be engaged in the plot relatively quickly were pulled off pretty well in Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

If only because the first game dumped you into a rat pit of hell and New Vegas just thrust you into the standard western "this town's in trouble" plot. Having the player be optionally invested in the stakes is as important as the player character being invested in whatever stakes it exposits before thrusting you into a series of non-threats

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 17, 2015

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA
I just want to say that after 38 hours I love this game and have no complaints outside of some minor things except that sometimes my workshop tab in the pip boy will tell me Sanctuary has no beds or defense so I panic and fast travel back to discover this is not true at all.

It's the only thing that actually bothers me because I have a hard time ignoring it WHAT IF IT'S TRUE THIS TIME

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Oh there are several in this thread who are unironically what you are describing.

I find that more tragic than the backstory of Fallout 4.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes, this is a fair enough POV, but I don't see why they had to go for some halfway house that is mediocre in all ways. The story is about as cliché as it comes, too. People found the FO3 intro too long because it was boring. Rather than fold from pressure, they should have a little artistic backbone and have a longer opening if that's what it takes to make it good. People won't complain if it isn't poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kimmalah posted:

I don't understand why this is such a huge deal? I think most people (myself included) play these sorts of games to wander around and explore a weird game world, not build intricate character backstories.

I don't give a gently caress about "building" character backstories I just don't want character backstories period in my open-ended open world games. In New Vegas my character didn't have a backstory, they had a profession and it was "Courier" and so all that mattered was what I was doing in the moment.

In Fallout 4 all that matters is what I'm doing in the moment too, except I also have this baggage named "Shaun" that my character has to occasionally remember to care about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

No bullshit introductions that allowed you to be engaged in the plot relatively quickly were pulled off pretty well in Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

Yeah, but it's also not what Bethesda wanted to do. Jeza's right that they should have just kept on trucking and fleshed it out more.

I appreciate you leaving Fallout 2 out of that by the way. :v:

quote:

In New Vegas my character didn't have a backstory, they had a profession and it was "Courier" and so all that mattered was what I was doing in the moment.

They did in fact, it was just contained (mostly) to a single six hour dlc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Fallout 1 and 2 were super good games but I feel weird when anyone praises the writing. They both were like 95% just reused plots from popular fiction. Which is fun and cool to play through but just stealing scenes from the planet of the apes or mad max or a boy and his dog or whatever isn't really "writing".

Like the whole origin of the entire 'master' plot (and the super mutants) is taking the master blaster "combined organism" line too literally from thunder dome.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jeza posted:

I don't think it exist to build any engagement. It exist to give you a "before-after" image. So you can appreciate more the level of destruction. The valley was green, plenty of life, with a blue sky. It looked like a paradise. The same place is a horrible wasteland after 200 years, where just staying outside can kill you (radiactive storms).

It also some sort of level of "pandering to the fans", by giving them a bit of the world before the nukes, something people may have a lot of curiosity.

I think was welldone and correct for the setting. Nothing in it offend me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Lol are there really fans out there who were clamoring for a peek at pre war america? Hint: its the 50s

• Locked thread