Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The original XBox maybe? Who cares?

Very little of the first Xbox is worth revisiting. It can basically be summed up as "better looking versions of PS2 multiplats, and also Jet Set Radio Future."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So long as my Steel Battalion controller exists my OG Xbox will remain in my heart and in my closet.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Very little of the first Xbox is worth revisiting. It can basically be summed up as "better looking versions of PS2 multiplats, and also Jet Set Radio Future."

Didn't it have that Japanese game where you play as the POTUS and fly to the moon in a mech to punch badguys?

Inzombiac posted:

Cool. I'm probably only going to play the Switch in mobile mode anyway.

Did they say if the switch has a sleep/rest mode? I'll most likely play in mobile mode as well.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Policenaut posted:

So long as my Steel Battalion controller exists my OG Xbox will remain in my heart and in my closet.

I wish something that cool would come out again :sigh: Like a Chromehounds 2 with a controller like that would be amazing

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Policenaut posted:

That huge stupid controller was awesome and Steel Batallion's gameplay did not justify it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Didn't it have that Japanese game where you play as the POTUS and fly to the moon in a mech to punch badguys?

Yeah, Metal Wolf Chaos. It's actually almost entirely in English but for whatever reason From Software didn't think Americans would like a game about the US President loving up terrorists in a giant chaingun-toting robot so it's Japan-exclusive.

Devolver Digital offered to HD remaster it but From never took, apparently.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I will not sit back and let you talk about Mechassault and Phantom Dust like that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Larrymer posted:

Isn't that TV too new for most of those game systems to look right/work? I remember trying my NES/SNES/N64 on a flat screen and it looked lovely if it even broadcast anything. Can't remember which AV adapter I was using, though. Might have been the RF cable (vs. the red/white/yellow) one.

They look fine; I'm using RCA for them (or HDMI if they support it) and although they're a bit stretched on the 60" screen they look fine. The TV is our old main one that started having a small intermittent colour bleed at the top of the picture so it became my spare one for as long as it will continue to work.

e: obviously to a purist they wouldn't be perfect but as someone who just likes playing games they're perfectly functional.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There's this cool place called e18hteen in my city

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I forgot to add "and it has the best version of Freedom Fighters" since it supports widescreen (unlike the PC version) and runs in 720p on the Xbox.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

I will not sit back and let you talk about Mechassault and Phantom Dust like that.

The one Xbox game I'm excited for in 2017 is the Phantom Dust HD Remake. So hype.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Xbox was fine at the time but I feel like practically everything that came out on it was done better since. Phantom Dust is a HUGE exception to this and we almost got a new one then MS poo poo the bed.

Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube are still great and dont just feel like I could just be playing "same thing but better" one generation later.

Edit: Oh looks like theyre HD-ing Phantom Dust after royally loving the remake (sequel?), awesome. I really hope it comes out on PC also. Hell, Id even buy it if it were Windows Store exclusive

edit: Woah holy poo poo it is coming to PC. I should google stuff BEFORE posting

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 13, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

The Xbox was fine at the time but I feel like practically everything that came out on it was done better since. Phantom Dust is a HUGE exception to this and we almost got a new one then MS poo poo the bed.

Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube are still great and dont just feel like I could just be playing "same thing but better" one generation later.

Edit: Oh looks like theyre HD-ing Phantom Dust after royally loving the remake, awesome. I really hope it comes out on PC also. Hell, Id even buy it if it were Windows Store exclusive

I don't know if I'd include PS2 in that list. In fact, in a lot of ways I still feel like we (people with non-Nintendo consoles) are still just playing better-looking PS2 games with more online poo poo.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

TheScott2K posted:

Did the whole "play it loud" thing come off as obviously Sega-inspired back then as it does now? I can't remember.

Yes. It was very obvious.

But Sega was the only real competitor (in the American market?) in any case. No one was creating ads to compete against the TurboGraphx or the NeoGeo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are you ready for the most 90's-est thing you've ever seen?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQAbQ1hJZw

I'm loving deadly serious. Don't click that link if you can't handle how rad the 90's was.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 13, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sickest av I ever seen

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm loving deadly serious. Don't click that link if you can't handle how rad the 90's was.

If the switch gets the Butthole Surfers to play at my house, I'll buy two

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Give me the zelda game

and do not cancel my Switch preorder, best buy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember way back then when people described the processing prowess of the Wii as one and a half gamecubes taped together?
What's the Switch power compared vis a vis to Wii Us

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Check out this video of Nintendo losing the grip they never got back

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Calaveron posted:

Remember way back then when people described the processing prowess of the Wii as one and a half gamecubes taped together?

The Wii was 2 gamecubes. The Wii itself was gamecube 1, and then the gamecube glued to the top of the case was gamecube 2.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cartoon Man posted:

At least Nintendo didn't sink as low as SEGA and call them names in their commercials. That's what I really liked about Nintendo, they stayed classy even when they're being called names by children.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

5 Gamecubes that fell into the garbage compactor

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TheScott2K posted:

Check out this video of Nintendo losing the grip they never got back

Intercut that with the DMCA notices for Let's Play Videos.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calaveron posted:

It's 1.5 Wii Us crammed into the tablet controller.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
The Switch is actually the secret lovechild of the New3DS and a hoverboard, which is why they won't advertise people using it next to a swimming pool.

PLAY IT DRY

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

a.lo posted:

At least Nintendo didn't sink as low as SEGA and call them names in their commercials. That's what I really liked about Nintendo, they stayed classy even when they're being called names by children.

It's typically the sign of a lesser brand to punch up at a stronger one.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Spellman posted:

Sickest av I ever seen

look like our base bitch yoshi back for some more

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

re: console names

Lest we forget the PlayStation Vita.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, Metal Wolf Chaos. It's actually almost entirely in English but for whatever reason From Software didn't think Americans would like a game about the US President loving up terrorists in a giant chaingun-toting robot so it's Japan-exclusive.

Devolver Digital offered to HD remaster it but From never took, apparently.

There was, apparently, an English demo of MWC on an Xbox Underground demo disc, but for whatever reason, not a single publisher wanted to touch it over here, even in the midst of Metal Gear Solid.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Takoluka posted:

There was, apparently, an English demo of MWC on an Xbox Underground demo disc, but for whatever reason, not a single publisher wanted to touch it over here, even in the midst of Metal Gear Solid.

Yeah, I have that demo disc even after all this time. IIRC it was a hidden demo that needed a secret button combination to unlock. The early 00s had weird demo discs.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Spellman posted:

Sickest av I ever seen

Kinda wanna spring for it but feel like I missed the boat on having an SA av.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Stan Taylor posted:

Kinda wanna spring for it but feel like I missed the boat on having an SA av.

just get it you doofus

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I have that demo disc even after all this time. IIRC it was a hidden demo that needed a secret button combination to unlock. The early 00s had weird demo discs.

What the gently caress? Did MS like, hold the demo hostage and say "if you dont pay us a bunch of money your demo will be LOCKED AWAY AS A SECRET"

I cant imagine a single developer who would want their demo to be hard to access.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Spellman posted:

Sickest av I ever seen

If no one gets this by tomorrow evening I'll spring for it. I just need to come up with some good text to go with it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yoshi ate the wrong brownies.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Gutcruncher posted:

What the gently caress? Did MS like, hold the demo hostage and say "if you dont pay us a bunch of money your demo will be LOCKED AWAY AS A SECRET"

I cant imagine a single developer who would want their demo to be hard to access.
It's because the magazines printing these demo disc were all about the radical 90's and thought to themselves "Videogamers LOVE secrets and passwords am I right?? So we'll put content behind secrets and then publish the secrets of last month's disc in the next issue". Publishers didn't have much to say about how magazines distributed free demos I think.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If no one gets this by tomorrow evening I'll spring for it. I just need to come up with some good text to go with it

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gutcruncher posted:

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

This is good, use this.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

just get it you doofus

Ugh fine.

Gutcruncher posted:

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Goddamnit I'm stealing this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thats what up man. I think you'll find posting more fun with an avatar!

• Locked thread