Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

TheBacon posted:

If you are filling on the CA side (which I assume you are) that means you are getting CA summer mix which is even more expensive than just normal CA higher gas prices. I assume you know but it is kind of relevant to the thread.

Nope, those prices were at a Maverik in Minden NV. The price difference is actually smaller by quite a bit right now in CA.

And anyway my point wasnt diesel is cheaper!, it was it depends on location, here is a counter example.

So, yeah, the summer mix price is relevant to the thread but not at all counter to my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Getting closer to my used prius purchase.

If I go with a dealership, what's the premium I should factor into my head with the out-the-door cost, with (California) taxes and everything? Really have no idea what to expect. CarEdge is saying a listing for $18,500 would be around $20,700 OTD. Is that what I should expect without any hassle or is that gonna be days of me talking down the nitrogen tires, vin etching, etc?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its taxes and distance from refineries and also local competition/collusion. (Gas prices)

Also we just bought a new Honda pilot. It was absurdly expensive. I had a nervous breakdown. Oh well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there's also some regional differentiation due to alternate uses for diesel / #2 home heating oil. not too many alternate uses for gasoline.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If your state doesnt limit documentation fees those can be substantial. Theyre capped at something like $400 around here (not ca).

Quick google search suggests its only $80 in ca

ethanol fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 15, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those tabletop docusign computers are expensive. Someone has to pay for them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

euphronius posted:

Its taxes and distance from refineries and also local competition/collusion. (Gas prices)

Also we just bought a new Honda pilot. It was absurdly expensive. I had a nervous breakdown. Oh well

Was there a long wait for the pilot? I have been avoiding checking out honda/toyota because I dont want to get put on a waitlist for 6mo for a pilot or grand highlander.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was on the lot. So no. No wait. 2025 Trailsport trim.

The lower trims were nowhere to be found obviously

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

Was there a long wait for the pilot? I have been avoiding checking out honda/toyota because I don’t want to get put on a waitlist for 6mo for a pilot or grand highlander.

What is peace of mind worth to you?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh my gord

Cant do dealer markups in canada I think, but would expect the stock to be a lot more limited.

Still trying to get my wife out to check out some vehicles for her but it has been tough schedule wise! Maybe by the time we are set to buy the refreshed mdx will be out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

Can I just skip the car and purchase peace of mind by itself? Just lobotomize all this stress please

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Catatron Prime posted:

Can I just skip the car and purchase peace of mind by itself? Just lobotomize all this stress please

Yes send me $3000. $2995, actually, it's a real number and real value proposition and not some made-up bullshit

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Catatron Prime posted:

Sorry, peace of mind is only offered with purchase of vehicle weighing 4,500lbs or more at your local Toyota dealer.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/d/east-islip-2007-honda-accord-v6-manual/7746550204.html
Assuming their story checks out, is there any reason not to buy this? Trying to but not really finding any.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that seems like a lot of money for that car but it's 2024 or whatever and it will probably get you another 100k easy. Make sure they aren't bullshitting about the timing belt replacement, those J engines are interference and if the timing belt goes it isn't cheap. That era of Accord eats brakes but otherwise is pretty robust.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My old Mirage finally gave up the ghost, so Im looking for something new

Proposed Budget: Under $30K

New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work and running errands on the weekends, so mostly highway mileage. I sometimes play taxi for children, and I do also carpool with a friend, for what its worth
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, and cost/ease of maintenance. Finding parts for the Mirage was not great

Right now looking at the Civic, which my credit union has a couple deals to take off about $1800 from the MSRP. A friend wont shut up about the Kia Forte as an affordable Sedan, but Ive not heard a lot good from Kia in my research, so that might be going down too low in price. But it does check a lot of boxes so maybe its worth a look.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

My old Mirage finally gave up the ghost, so Im looking for something new

Proposed Budget: Under $30K

New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work and running errands on the weekends, so mostly highway mileage. I sometimes play taxi for children, and I do also carpool with a friend, for what its worth
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, and cost/ease of maintenance. Finding parts for the Mirage was not great

Right now looking at the Civic, which my credit union has a couple deals to take off about $1800 from the MSRP. A friend wont shut up about the Kia Forte as an affordable Sedan, but Ive not heard a lot good from Kia in my research, so that might be going down too low in price. But it does check a lot of boxes so maybe its worth a look.

If the Civic doesn't work out, I'd go with a Mazda 3 in a lower or middle trim level.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...RIORITY/DEFAULT

Is this a good deal? Does that accident make it an instant no?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Not necessarily - my FoRS had an "accident" where I scraped the door on a bollard and they replaced and painted the panel and you'd need a paint meter to tell it's not factory. On the other hand, my Aston had an accident from a prior owner where it was repainted and the paint bubbled because they didn't prep the aluminum body correctly. Both of those are completely cosmetic and don't really matter on a $10k car, but a bigger accident could mean frame damage and safety issues / never driving the same way again.

I would try to get the receipts for the repairs, and of course a PPI is 100% required.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

if you follow to dealer websites some of them offer the carfax for free.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DEY_0&vin=3FADP4GX8FM104352

something went wrong with the exhaust on this car in 2021 I think. it failed emissions and the owner was motivated to get rid of it.

but second owner then drove over half the miles on it in the last 3 years so hard to say. I would definitely want a through third party professional check on the underbody of this car..

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 21, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Get a PPI of course but if they dont find anything it seems like a reasonable deal.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Given the areas indicated Id wonder if it was hail damage. Usually dont get roof damage unless it was hail or a rollover, and it doesnt seem to be a rollover.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Just found out my 2012 Mazda 3 that I bought thanks to this very thread needs a new transmission. I won't get a quote until tomorrow morning but I guess I'm in the market for a new car.

Proposed Budget: 20-25 k
New or Used: used
Body Style: sedan I guess but I don't really care
How will you be using the car?: I commute about 44 miles round trip, half highway half city but other than that don't do much driving except for errands . It's usually just me in the car and I don't haul anything except groceries.
What aspects are most important to you?: Low maintenance, decent MPG, and a comfortable ride/interior.

Or should I just keep the Mazda? It's got about 130,00 miles on it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's much cheaper to rebuild a transmission

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Just found out my 2012 Mazda 3 that I bought thanks to this very thread needs a new transmission. I won't get a quote until tomorrow morning but I guess I'm in the market for a new car.

Proposed Budget: 20-25 k
New or Used: used
Body Style: sedan I guess but I don't really care
How will you be using the car?: I commute about 44 miles round trip, half highway half city but other than that don't do much driving except for errands . It's usually just me in the car and I don't haul anything except groceries.
What aspects are most important to you?: Low maintenance, decent MPG, and a comfortable ride/interior.

Or should I just keep the Mazda? It's got about 130,00 miles on it.

What's the goal here? You're driving what is a $4k car in working order. It's probably gonna cost half of that to put it back into working order and then you know you've got a good transmission.

And now you're asking about $20k cars.

If you want to and can afford to upgrade your car, go for it. But it's a wildly different discussion than "do I fix this or buy another $4k car".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

My thinking is that I'm going to need another car eventually, maybe now's the time, and I'd like to have some idea of what I should be looking at.

I never asked about buying another $4k car though, don't know where you're getting that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I never asked about buying another $4k car though, don't know where you're getting that.

That is the decision making process you should be using for fix or replace with your current vehicle.

The vehicle upgrade is a completely seperate decision making process. While I understand why you've chosen now to think about it, you need to think about it the right way: If your $4k car wasn't broken would you be shopping for a $20k car right now?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've been thinking about it more and more as the miles are starting to add up and things are starting to fail. I want something I can drive for another 10 years and not have to worry about it too much.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I've been thinking about it more and more as the miles are starting to add up and things are starting to fail. I want something I can drive for another 10 years and not have to worry about it too much.

Try a Prius.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Human Tornada posted:

I've had my Honda for 6 years now and it's been nothing but a source of stability (and boredom), which is something you should probably want in a car. The biggest expense I had was buying a set of 4 tires (quiettrack?) because I popped my tire somehow. It's also lost ~30% of its value over that time period which ain't bad at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

What things have been failing besides the transmission?

I ask because many people confuse normal 10 year / 100k mile wear parts with things that are going wrong with the car.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Turns out the only transmission they could find is used and has higher miles on it than the one that's in there now so I guess it's time to move on. I'm still open to suggestions of what I should be looking for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Whoever youre talking to is dumb as a sack of hammers and or lying to you considering a brand new transmission is available from Mazda for $3700. (I presumed you needed the auto; its more expensive) Reman options are out there for about a thousand dollar discount.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Human Tornada posted:

Turns out the only transmission they could find is used and has higher miles on it than the one that's in there now so I guess it's time to move on. I'm still open to suggestions of what I should be looking for.

People have been suggesting things, namely another Mazda 3 or a Honda Civic if you'd like a reliable, efficient car but still value driving dynamics and a bit sportiness, or a Toyota Prius if you don't care about "fun" and just want an appliance of a car that will do what you need it to for as long, and cheaply as possible. The 2nd gen Mazda 3 is pretty aggresive with its suspension and gearing, I'd imagine if you liked it, you'd probably prefer the former, and if you hated it, you'd probably prefer the latter but if you're in that price range there's no reason not to test drive.

They are also telling you that you can save a lot of money fixing up your old car if you didn't have any issues with it. You're not going to save money buying a $25k car because the car you have currently needs $4k to be functional again. Buying a car under duress (i.e. you do not have a functional car and need to buy one) is definitely not ideal and can screw you over if you're forced into buying something quickly. If there are other reasons you want a new car (including being plain sick of the car you have now) that's fine, but it is not the financially prudent thing (which is how you are framing it.) Auto trans is a wear item pretty much, as is most things a car will need at that milage, but even new cars will have required maintenance so don't expect all of your car stress to disappear with a new one.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I ask because many people confuse normal 10 year / 100k mile wear parts with things that are going wrong with the car.

Can you give a general overview of how to mentally adjust to this concept? It's an ongoing struggle with my spouse (which is why I'm always reading this thread). We dropped a couple grand on both our old cars a year ago to get them running again, but only stuff like tires, batteries etc, not fixing broken antilock brakes or bad struts.

This last month I noticed a burning oil smell on one of them and took it in, plus it was having some turn signal errors. Cost a bit under $500 to replace a gasket and the old lights.
Meanwhile, my spouse was going on and on about getting a new lease because she 'barely drives.' I tried to explain how it's a waste of money to finance miles you don't use, but it's an issue every single time we get a repair.

To me, I just paid $500 to get hopefully another year out of the vehicle, which is probably what a single month on a new car payment would be, if not a lot less.

Tl;dr spouse's entire family does zero maintenance, doesn't replace things until they break, etc, and considers any wear and tear to be a failure of the vehicle. Example: they drive on completely dry rotted tires.
But I've also had a bunch of crappy cars that I was constantly fixing - I think my pontiac vibe needed a/c repairs 4 straight years, and since my parents bought it as a rental they did a $4k engine rebuild on it at 100k miles before I bought it off them. Another example would be last year having to replace the tie rods + more on the front end of this car. To me that's wear+tear+rust, to my spouse that's 'broken car, need new one'

How do you tell the difference between the two categories of 'something going wrong' vs 'wear and tear'?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 22, 2024

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

How do you tell the difference between the two categories of 'something going wrong' vs 'wear and tear'?

Every moving part on a car is technically a wear item. Struts, control arms, ball joints, wheel bearings, belts, hoses, relays, tires, etc. - each part will have to be replaced eventually and has its own expected lifetime.

Parts that last as long as they're expected to have worn out. Parts that break prematurely have gone wrong. Replacing the alternator after 10 years is normal wear and tear. Replacing the new one after six months is not.

Regular maintenance can help parts last their full expected life, or longer. Lack of maintenance leads to things going wrong.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

It's an ongoing struggle with my spouse (which is why I'm always reading this thread).
most goons answering questions in AI are comfortable diagnosing their car or talking to mechanics (read figuring out if they're full of poo poo) and so on with a stoic DIY sort of outlook they often post as such.

but it's perfectly fine logic imo for people who couldn't even point out the location of the dipstick want to spend little extra just to never worry about it by pretty much never owning anything older than like 3-5 years

but if your budget is strict or its a sticking point to spend as little on your car as possible then keep researching / asking people you trust. Some stuff is common experiential knowledge, like a manual clutch is probably going to need replacing somewhere around 100k miles. It always depends on the driver's behavior too. You can apply some basic logic to figure out which moving parts might wear faster too.

rust issues taking over can be a real car killer.

your owners manual has a general overview of what will need to be maintained and when, but it's not going to get you there compared to just asking a knowledgable mechanic or something like that

there's real value in making your wife happy by just getting what she wants

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

What the guy told me was that for my specific model he couldn't find one other than one with about the same amount of miles on it for $2600. He could be lying or stupid but I don't know. My family's been going to this place for a long time now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ethanol posted:

there's real value in making your wife happy by just getting what she wants

:hmmyes: absolute truth

My wife keeps wanting me to just get her a new car but this is a horrible trap and I won't get caught in it (again)

Need to take her out for some test drives etc and then she can see what she wants!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

What the guy told me was that for my specific model he couldn't find one other than one with about the same amount of miles on it for $2600. He could be lying or stupid but I don't know. My family's been going to this place for a long time now.

PM me the VIN if you want