Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I have like 3 different hotbar setups with different hotkey layouts complete with different stones for midas savage so I can assure you the suffering never ends even at 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Zweihander01 posted:

I just made three macros to replace my 1 slot with Stone 1, 2, or 3 as needed.

Then I hit 60 on whm and removed them, resolving to never do a level syncing DR with that class ever again.

Yeah but what's the alternative? If they tune down your numbers below what they did at that natural level, even if you have more abilities, then you'll feel like the carrot on the stick isn't worth it! If you're too helpful then low level players will get frustrated at high level players being too good and not level up! There is no winning.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kwyndig posted:

That's more of a problem with dragoon than it is with other jobs. Yeah, I'm not sure why you get kicked out of your abilities aside from possibly the way they coded level sync having that baked in from the early days. I mean, it took them over a year to fix the gear issues level sync dungeons had.

It would be a fairly long process of applying penalties to ensure that a level 60 ninja isn't doing 4 times the dps of a fresh one instead of the 50% more it tends to be.

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah but what's the alternative? If they tune down your numbers below what they did at that natural level, even if you have more abilities, then you'll feel like the carrot on the stick isn't worth it! If you're too helpful then low level players will get frustrated at high level players being too good and not level up! There is no winning.

The real reason is that people are lovely and SE doesn't want a bunch of stupid drama over people vote kicking newbies when they dungeon run in the hope of getting someone sync'd. SE makes a lot of decisions with an eye towards not incentivizing lovely behavior towards other people. Sometimes this makes the game worse in some ways but I find it preferable since I have significantly fewer lovely experiences in this game than I do elsewhere.

Edit: Oh and you were wrong because your 200 hour claim is ridiculous. At launch it was 40-60 hours to get from 1-50 and there have been buffs to nearly all forms of experience gains plus experience boosting items have been added since then. 2.x-3.0 is another 30-40. If your response is "well I shouldn't have to spend that much time doing something I don't like!" Then yes, don't play the game you don't like.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 3, 2016

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

FFXIV is a very deep cheesemaking simulator, wherein you must learn first to utilize normal milk, then sweet creams, and ultimately the power of Night Milk farmed by seafishmen to make Ultima Cheese Souffle. And that is a fake out ending, because your cheese adventures are only beginning there!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm talking about stuff like verminion you loving

I beat every stage of Verminion with a controller, no worries at all. Sorry about your mongoloid hamhands.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Burn My Dread posted:

I miss Belzac

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Burn My Dread posted:

I miss Fracture

Same buddy, same

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac will be in our hearts forever, angrily criticizing your blood pressure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No wonder I have high cholesterol. Fracture's stealing away all my heart's TP!

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

It would be a fairly long process of applying penalties to ensure that a level 60 ninja isn't doing 4 times the dps of a fresh one instead of the 50% more it tends to be.

The real reason is that people are lovely and SE doesn't want a bunch of stupid drama over people vote kicking newbies when they dungeon run in the hope of getting someone sync'd. SE makes a lot of decisions with an eye towards not incentivizing lovely behavior towards other people. Sometimes this makes the game worse in some ways but I find it preferable since I have significantly fewer lovely experiences in this game than I do elsewhere.

Edit: Oh and you were wrong because your 200 hour claim is ridiculous. At launch it was 40-60 hours to get from 1-50 and there have been buffs to nearly all forms of experience gains plus experience boosting items have been added since then. 2.x-3.0 is another 30-40. If your response is "well I shouldn't have to spend that much time doing something I don't like!" Then yes, don't play the game you don't like.

Yeah what a ridiculous number, if you generously average it out at 10 minutes per quest it only takes 60 hours to get through the main quest line. Of course this doesn't count actually hitting the requisite level for these quests, dungeons, leveling up side jobs, or really doing anything else at all but repeatedly teleporting to Limsa Lonsa Lower Docks and chilling through 3 load screens to click on Mom. The thought that somebody would spend two hours playing with other human beings or trying stuff out for every one hour of clicking on Mom is frankly ludicrous and I don't know where I got that number from. Sorry about that.

Dropping the sarcasm, they punish the non-toxic players by removing gameplay and leaving out features like damage meters or health numbers just to remove any fuel a person could have to be toxic. It took me 2 seconds to realize that they could just remove group finder members from the combat log if they don't want people making GBS threads on each other. What they're doing doesn't combat toxicity. Toxic shitheads are toxic shitheads, and they will find ways to be lovely and mad about video games. You ban them. Someone talked about not touching LS dungeons and I feel the exact same way, I stopped doing the random roulette because I was tired of getting relegated to smashing two buttons for 40 minutes straight.

Just to drop some anti-venom, when given the freedom to people can be surprisingly nice and accommodating. When GW2 first started its free weekends 40% of the max-level player base showed up in lowbie zones to mentor people, help kill mobs, and help them through dungeons. Max level highly geared characters are multiple times stronger than lowbies even when scaled, but they still show up to help out in zones and blast through dungeons side by side with lowbies because they still get relevant rewards and everybody wins. The same thing was true for Rift back before it melted down. Nobody cares unless the group specifically says it's a fast run. The toxicity that shows up from primadonna tanks, people bitching about honest healers, 200 dps etc. shows up because they're frankly tired of repeating the same content over and over, they feel forced to due to the currency grind, and there's no mechanism for forming speed run groups outside of shouting in a city's chat for 30 minutes. The restrictions and feeling like they're being held back is what pisses people off.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 3, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Thunderbro posted:

Uh, no? A lot of it's been the generic "DONT POST" or unjustified "UR WORNG" posts that always occur when you give criticisms about someone's precious video games.

"Uh, no? A lot of it's been what you just said."

I wasn't talking about you specifically, dude. You basically just said "no you're wrong. I agree."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Burn My Dread posted:

I miss Belzac

I haven't been in the thread for a while. What happened to Belzac?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Hamsterlady posted:

"Uh, no? A lot of it's been what you just said."

I wasn't talking about you specifically, dude. You basically just said "no you're wrong. I agree."

Well you know we've been talking about stuff, discussing a video game. I don't think a veiled "stop posting" post was very helpful or that we're not getting our messages across to each other.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unless hardware or Microsoft issues prevent you from doing so, you should use the DX11 version. Barring any additional features, it has lower overhead than DX11, and very frequently runs better than an equivalent DX9 version. Any integrated graphics from Ivy Bridge onwards and all APUs have DX11 support.

Yeah it's hardware I think, direct X11 runs slow and choppy when direct x 9 is perfect. I could take some time to see if I can run it in direct x 11 with minimal graphic settings but I don't see why when I'm satisfied with dx9

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Inner Beast and Fell Cleave could be rolled into one ability, same with Steel Cyclone and Decimate. it's actually silly that they aren't, considering that ninjas and astros have abilities that change with their stances.

If/when SE does any sort of skill button compression I'd be surprised if they don't do this for monk attacks. Give the class three attack buttons and tie those to Bootshine/Dragon Kick/Arm of the Destroyer, Twin Snake/True Strike/one-ilm punch something useful, Snap Punch/Demolish/Rockbreaker with each of the 3 skills showing up based on what form your in and with boot/dragon/arm also showing up when you're out of form just as it does now and if you're level synced then the respective skill just greys out and you have to use one of the other buttons. It's also friendlier for controller players I guess?

More games need to make better use of combo systems.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They wouldn't do that for MNK because Perfect Balance exists.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

If/when SE does any sort of skill button compression I'd be surprised if they don't do this for monk attacks. Give the class three attack buttons and tie those to Bootshine/Dragon Kick/Arm of the Destroyer, Twin Snake/True Strike/one-ilm punch something useful, Snap Punch/Demolish/Rockbreaker with each of the 3 skills showing up based on what form your in and with boot/dragon/arm also showing up when you're out of form just as it does now and if you're level synced then the respective skill just greys out and you have to use one of the other buttons. It's also friendlier for controller players I guess?

Or they could tie all the combo attacks for a chain to the same button. Like Aion did in 2008. It's the same exact gameplay and decision making depth, only you don't get carpal tunnel from clawing your hand across modifier and number keys for every part of the chain.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Thundarr posted:

I was not expecting Ozma. I barely even remember that fight.

So when are we getting Chocobo Hot and Cold?
I got really, really excited. Then I remembered you were talking about FF9 :(

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thunderbro posted:

I mean, that's kind of the game in general. They took WoTLK era WoW's concepts and implemented them in the safest way possible. It honestly makes for a really mediocre experience. The writing is emotionally flat and unmemorable, the quest design and FATEs are very mediocre and outdated, and the entire 0-50 experience just feels like being trapped in a baby crib. There are even invisible walls almost everywhere where you can jump off and take serious damage. The graphics and sound are all completely excellent, but as seen with FFXIII that doesn't make for a very good game.

I didn't get to HW but I don't really care. The key I bought directly from SE's site doesn't work (going back to their site being unpolished) and apparently I have to grind through ~100 more dull, uninspired quests just to unlock the expansion content. There are no alternatives, it's the first MMO I've played that gates the majority of its content behind a single huge, completely linear quest line. That would be fine if the main quest line was actually good but it's mostly been just teleporting around and running to talk to some dude just far enough away from the waypoint to waste 5 minutes of my life, then wasting 5 more minutes returning to the Waking Sands.

I'll give SE credit for putting out the trash fire of 1.0 and doing a smashing job on the graphics and music, but ultimately ARR is just kind of bland, restrictive, and it really doesn't bring anything new to the table. It was a fine $20, but I'm not going to pay $15/mo for this game.

Source your quotes.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Source your quotes.

lol you think those things are acceptable and make for a good time. joke's on you

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Please point us to the better MMO, especially if the writing is better.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Mordiceius posted:

I haven't been in the thread for a while. What happened to Belzac?

Belzac's almost troll-like opinions were causing a constant uproar in the thread. FactsAreUseless told him to never post in the thread again as a result.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bell_ posted:

While I haven't gotten to the meat of the plot in this game, I think Star Wars: The Old Republic has some really great stuff going on story-wise. I still haven't even fought Titan yet but based on what I've seen of this game so far I am having a hard time imagining the story getting cooler than SWTOR's.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thunderbro posted:

lol you think those things are acceptable and make for a good time. joke's on you

Oh poo poo, you actually believe all that, have quit playing the game, and you're still posting here?

You have no leg to stand upon criticizing how we choose to waste our time. :laffo:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thunderbro posted:

Or they could tie all the combo attacks for a chain to the same button. Like Aion did in 2008. It's the same exact gameplay and decision making depth, only you don't get carpal tunnel from clawing your hand across modifier and number keys for every part of the chain.

Is the single button supposed to guess whether I want to use Snap Punch or Demolish this time around? Yeah you could easily give dragoon two buttons and cover both of their combos, but that doesn't work as easily for monk with the way it is set up in this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thunderbro posted:

What they're doing doesn't combat toxicity. Toxic shitheads are toxic shitheads, and they will find ways to be lovely and mad about video games. You ban them.

Just to drop some anti-venom, when given the freedom to people can be surprisingly nice and accommodating. When GW2 first started its free weekends 40% of the max-level player base showed up in lowbie zones to mentor people, help kill mobs, and help them through dungeons. Max level highly geared characters are multiple times stronger than lowbies even when scaled, but they still show up to help out in zones and blast through dungeons side by side with lowbies because they still get relevant rewards and everybody wins. The same thing was true for Rift back before it melted down. Nobody cares unless the group specifically says it's a fast run. The toxicity that shows up from primadonna tanks, people bitching about honest healers, 200 dps etc. shows up because they're frankly tired of repeating the same content over and over, they feel forced to due to the currency grind, and there's no mechanism for forming speed run groups outside of shouting in a city's chat for 30 minutes. The restrictions and feeling like they're being held back is what pisses people off.

Except they are because there is a clear and stated rule with the consequence of banning. Yes it doesn't stop the primadonna tank/honest healer hater level of toxicity but as you've stated, nothing will. The low-dps players that won't improve without being hit with a social stick is the chief counter-example to their chosen method.

Only 40%? FFXIV has those numbers skewed in it's favor, both due to the nature of character levels (max level players can also be low level players and therefor help other low level players and be helped as them) and because players are forced to. It wouldn't surprised me if FFXIV boasted 60-80% for that same criteria, only it would be all the time rather than free weekends or whatnot.

Also while level syncing does rob quite a lot of power in FFXIV, it still leaves higher level characters at an optimum power level for completing the content. Sometimes not completely steamrolling content is more helpful than doing so because some people like to actually learn things than the same lesson of 'zerging is overpowered' that's been in MMO's since EQ was the hottest thing on the block.

Getting tired of repeating content isn't just FFXIV's problem it's a problem every MMO has to a different extent. FFXIV's relatively quick content cycles just bring it to bear a bit more. Being held back from completing content quicker I believe is a good thing. I don't like being carried though things, I like to push buttons and contribute. If every instance was a hot-potato run to the finish (like Meriandum) I wouldn't be playing this game anymore because seriously, people, you have to hit the spotlights. Take 5 seconds out of your busy headlong run into polygonal content and hit the spotlights or we're going to be here for an extra minute because you're literally going too fast.

Thundarr posted:

Is the single button supposed to guess whether I want to use Snap Punch or Demolish this time around? Yeah you could easily give dragoon two buttons and cover both of their combos, but that doesn't work as easily for monk with the way it is set up in this game.

No, one single combo branch was one button. Any other branches started with the lowest button on that branch and would proceed upwards if you pressed it. It was a pretty good button saving measure for the game. It wouldn't really work for monk though because you're supposed to weave what you want with your combos. Also it's only 8 buttons, without Aion's combo system it would have like, 16 or so uncompressed buttons because the vast majority of your buttons were combos.

It would work for pretty much every other melee class though.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 3, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Evil Fluffy posted:

If/when SE does any sort of skill button compression I'd be surprised if they don't do this for monk attacks. Give the class three attack buttons and tie those to Bootshine/Dragon Kick/Arm of the Destroyer, Twin Snake/True Strike/one-ilm punch something useful, Snap Punch/Demolish/Rockbreaker with each of the 3 skills showing up based on what form you're in and with boot/dragon/arm also showing up when you're out of form just as it does now and if you're level synced then the respective skill just greys out and you have to use one of the other buttons. It's also friendlier for controller players I guess?

Your suggested evolving combo system that adjusts itself based on Monk's various forms would be a good idea, and I would definitely like to see something like that come into play some day.

Thunderbro posted:

I have not played Aion, so I do not have a good gauge on how well this would work if applied to XIV. I do not have a problem with XIV's Rotations and I feel that they require a reasonable amount of player agency for each job. If they could apply such a combo system, I would not be against it, but I hold reservations on how well they could do it while still enforcing an idea of strategy from combo to combo.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

While I haven't gotten to the meat of the plot in this game, I think Star Wars: The Old Republic has some really great stuff going on story-wise. I still haven't even fought Titan yet but based on what I've seen of this game so far I am having a hard time imagining the story getting cooler than SWTOR's.

Having played both, they're both good, though TOR makes the mistake of trying to give you the illusion that your choices can affect the outcome of the story when it most definitely can't, so you end up feeling bitter about that at the end. All around, though, FFXIV is a much more polished and fleshed out game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Except FFXIV has branching combos so I'd still have to hit more than one button if I waited Aion's shallow one button combo system.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Thundarr posted:

They could have different buttons for each combo chain, you could smack the same button multiple times to hit the move you want (dang it would totally feel like you're smacking down 100 punches), the superior possibilities are endless!

Like I've said before, when you're just smacking 3 different buttons in the same chain sequence, over and over, there's not really any thought or skill behind it. There is no reason to hit combos out of sequence unless you fat finger a key.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Only 40%? FFXIV has those numbers skewed in it's favor, both due to the nature of character levels (max level players can also be low level players and therefor help other low level players and be helped as them) and because players are forced to. It wouldn't surprised me if FFXIV boasted 60-80% for that same criteria, only it would be all the time rather than free weekends or whatnot.

Also while level syncing does rob quite a lot of power in FFXIV, it still leaves higher level characters at an optimum power level for completing the content. Sometimes not completely steamrolling content is more helpful than doing so because some people like to actually learn things than the same lesson of 'zerging is overpowered' that's been in MMO's since EQ was the hottest thing on the block.

Yeah, that is skewed. GW2 doesn't have any automatic group finder or carrots for allowing yourself to be thrown into a lowbie dungeon. That metric was entirely max-level players who took time to go hang out and help in the newbie zones where the rewards really aren't that great. It's an extraordinarily friendly and anti-toxic community, and mean jerks get shouted down instantly.

With how absolutely everything is based off the same potency stat it should be completely trivial to scale down the equations so that a level 60 player with epic gear is at least in the same ballpark of effectiveness as lower level players. That's why Level Sync is so baffling, there's no legitimate reason to pare down abilities and no other MMO does that.

Bell_ posted:

GW2, TOR, ESO, hell, WoW might be dumb but you'll know exactly who the characters are, their personalities, and why they even exist. Hour 50 is about the point where I realized I only remembered the names of five characters, three of them being pure nostalgia plugs, because they are all vaguely European cardboard cutouts all the way through level 49. This is an opinion, you don't have to agree.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Oh poo poo, you actually believe all that, have quit playing the game, and you're still posting here?

You have no leg to stand upon criticizing how we choose to waste our time. :laffo:

You're projecting so hard that you're insulting yourself at this point. I haven't criticized anyone for playing or enjoying their video game. Go home.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 3, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

TOR's storyline is a lot better because a personal story works a lot better when your character actually has a personality, and its high notes are super high (the entire Agent storyline) but its got a lot of kinda bad stuff too (the Trooper past act one) and I feel like FFXIV is more... consistently better written, prose-wise?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thunderbro posted:

GW2, ESO, WoW

:laffo:

Somebody post the loving "you made me what I am" CGI

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Except FFXIV has branching combos so I'd still have to hit more than one button if I waited Aion's shallow one button combo system.

I think having buttons allocated for combos and changing them based on where you are at your combo would work. For example, put 1 and 2 as your combo buttons. Then when Warrior starts they can hit 1 for Heavy Swing and 2 is disabled, then after Heavy Swing 1 becomes Skull Sunder and 2 becomes Maim, push 2 and 1 becomes Eye of the Storm and 2 becomes Storm's Path. You'd need 3 buttons for ninja though and there's no obvious way to restart a combo without finishing it without putting aside another button, and as mentioned before it wouldn't work well with Monks.

Really I just don't want to put aside so many buttons for Drg's long combo v:v:v

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Scrublord Prime posted:

I think having buttons allocated for combos and changing them based on where you are at your combo would work. For example, put 1 and 2 as your combo buttons. Then when Warrior starts they can hit 1 for Heavy Swing and 2 is disabled, then after Heavy Swing 1 becomes Skull Sunder and 2 becomes Maim, push 2 and 1 becomes Eye of the Storm and 2 becomes Storm's Path. You'd need 3 buttons for ninja though and there's no obvious way to restart a combo without finishing it without putting aside another button, and as mentioned before it wouldn't work well with Monks.

Really I just don't want to put aside so many buttons for Drg's long combo v:v:v

This is all just proof of MNK superiority, really.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah, that is skewed. GW2 doesn't have any automatic group finder or carrots for allowing yourself to be thrown into a lowbie dungeon. That metric was entirely max-level players who took time to go hang out and help in the newbie zones where the rewards really aren't that great. It's an extraordinarily friendly and anti-toxic community, and mean jerks get shouted down instantly.

GW2, TOR, ESO, hell, WoW might be dumb but you'll know exactly who the characters are, their personalities, and why they even exist. Hour 50 is about the point where I realized I only remembered the names of five characters, three of them being pure nostalgia plugs, because they are all vaguely European cardboard cutouts all the way through level 49. This is an opinion, you don't have to agree.

'Extraordinarily friendly and anti-toxic community with mean jerks getting shouted down' is also how I would describe FFXIV's community, which is the salient point I forgot to make in my previous post. Then again I'm usually the first willing to shout at mean jerks for being mean so my experience is a bit different between the two games. As for your story comparisons...

dmboogie posted:

TOR's storyline is a lot better because a personal story works a lot better when your character actually has a personality, and its high notes are super high (the entire Agent storyline) but its got a lot of kinda bad stuff too (the Trooper past act one) and I feel like FFXIV is more... consistently better written, prose-wise?

This is why ESO and WoW don't actually have better stories (GW2 is a bit nebulous, right idea, wonky execution.) They're not about you, they're about the important not-people around you. You are always an accessory/carboard cutout to them and it is their deeds that will be sung by bards in taverns until the end of time. While your songs will be formatted with 'and then Insert Character Here slew the dragon and got some phat lewts except they rolled poorly and didn't actually get any phat lewts until the seventh such time they slew the dragon' etc.

I would much rather forget about my supporting cast because I'm the star of the show than the other way around.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thunderbro posted:

GW2, TOR, ESO, hell, WoW

Lmbo this is why nobody is taking you seriously.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The Grimace posted:

Belzac's almost troll-like opinions were causing a constant uproar in the thread. FactsAreUseless told him to never post in the thread again as a result.

I don't think he was forbidden from posting in the thread so much as he was told to just chill out. he's probably doing the thing where he takes a break to refresh his dark posting power. That said I haven't seem him around in game lately either, but I haven't been playing a whole lot myself so :shrug:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

'Extraordinarily friendly and anti-toxic community with mean jerks getting shouted down' is also how I would describe FFXIV's community, which is the salient point I forgot to make in my previous post. Then again I'm usually the first willing to shout at mean jerks for being mean so my experience is a bit different between the two games. As for your story comparisons...

This is why ESO and WoW don't actually have better stories (GW2 is a bit nebulous, right idea, wonky execution.) They're not about you, they're about the important not-people around you. You are always an accessory/carboard cutout to them and it is their deeds that will be sung by bards in taverns until the end of time. While your songs will be formatted with 'and then Insert Character Here slew the dragon and got some phat lewts except they rolled poorly and didn't actually get any phat lewts until the seventh such time they slew the dragon' etc.

I would much rather forget about my supporting cast because I'm the star of the show than the other way around.

Yeah. FFXIV has a really nice and constructive community from what I seen, which is why it's so weird that they're so insanely concerned about toxic players and harassment. Overall in games it seems like Japanese companies don't currently know what softness of kid gloves to use with Western audiences .'

I don't really agree with the stories not being about you, ESO has you conspiring with and smashing gods as a messiah in its main quest and WoW sets you up as a general in your faction. The only time I've felt really sidelined in WoW is when Green Jesus sniped the big bad of Cataclysm. WoW's the one I have way more experience in and I know for a fact it writes your name in on monuments and actually has easter eggs and lore sequences for doing the really exclusive stuff.

Failboattootoot posted:

Lmbo this is why nobody is taking you seriously.

You and a couple dismissive shitposters are hardly everybody bro~

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The reason Belzac conversations always got so heated was because he would often say things that were actually correct (or at least valid), but he'd say them in such an unbelievably insulting, condescending way that it would make people want to disagree regardless :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thunderbro posted:

Copying Aion's system directly by move would mean you'd have the same moves tied together always. Just tying 3 buttons to moves based on the form you're in would be a bit more flexible than how Aion's operates since their combos might branch but you can't use skills 1A or 1B then follow it with skill 2A or 2B which you'd want to keep for monks in FF14. Aion's system in FF14 would be something like boot-true-snap and dragon-twin-demo which would be a step back due to the rigidness.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The reason Belzac conversations always got so heated was because he would often say things that were actually correct (or at least valid), but he'd say them in such an unbelievably insulting, condescending way that it would make people want to disagree regardless :v:

So Belzac is our own personal fishmech?

• Locked thread