Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FMguru posted:

should have created an limited liability shell company (with your name) and had it take out the student loans on your behalf
nah repblicans are 2 smart to let the plebs possibly get away with that, you could only provide 5% of it to yourself lol

quote:

The program doesn't provide more than 5% of its benefits during the year for shareholders or owners (or their spouses or dependents). A shareholder or owner is someone who owns (on any day of the year) more than 5% of the stock or of the capital or profits interest of your business.

only murdocks and cock bros are allowed to generate billions in loophole. no poors allowed in MY tax codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
e: double p

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

similarly, salt only gives you hypertension if you have lovely genes. if you don't have the predisposition to sodium sensitivity you don't have to worry about your intake as long as it's below the lethal dose

unfortunately there's not a good way to test for this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

unfortunately there's not a good way to test for this
*eat a salt-heavy diet for 20 years*
*check blood pressure*

seems p simple

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the dietary guidelines for salt strike me as slightly insane because i think there's like one country in the entire goddamn world that's considered to be meeting those, and if i remember right it's a country that's pretty severely impoverished and food-insecure.

america doesn't even crack the top twenty.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

*eat a salt-heavy diet for 20 years*
*check blood pressure*

seems p simple

but how do i control for fatness

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the dietary guidelines for salt strike me as slightly insane because i think there's like one country in the entire goddamn world that's considered to be meeting those, and if i remember right it's a country that's pretty severely impoverished and food-insecure.

japan has one of the highest salt intakes and crazy long lifespans

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Wheany posted:

all i know is that if you're not eating utz, you're eating butts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doesn't AOL still have tons of people inexplicably paying for dial-up internet?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mystes posted:

Doesn't AOL still have tons of people inexplicably paying for dial-up internet?
yes but not not always actual dialup, theres "AOL DSL". also most dont use it for service but they have an @aol.com email they keep paying for because oldes are frightened and scared of sending out "hey everyone, heres my new senileshriveleddickboomer@gmail.com email, please email me there for now on" emails

also i love that even yospos is smarter than people running hudnred billion dollar companies because anyone here could have loving said yahoo and aol were awful purchases. but heyoo doesnt matter since they can write it off for $$ if it failed (it did)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

japan has one of the highest salt intakes and crazy long lifespans

they also have a lotta pension fraud and stomach cancer

really the best way to live a long time is to be rich - in america that adds a decade and a half

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the dietary guidelines are pretty much all like, based around stuff for people with existing issues aggravated by sodium intake yeah

Xaris posted:

yes but not not always actual dialup, theres "AOL DSL". also most dont use it for service but they have an @aol.com email they keep paying for because oldes are frightened and scared of sending out "hey everyone, heres my new senileshriveleddickboomer@gmail.com email, please email me there for now on" emails

also i love that even yospos is smarter than people running hudnred billion dollar companies because anyone here could have loving said yahoo and aol were awful purchases. but heyoo doesnt matter since they can write it off for $$ if it failed (it did)

one of the main things yahoo still did/i guess oath still does, is to run the email backends for a shitload of other isps and websites. it's why yahoo was able to have data leaks a few years back that affected 3 billion accounts or something, they ran email for so many others

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fishmech posted:

the dietary guidelines are pretty much all like, based around stuff for people with existing issues aggravated by sodium intake yeah

one of the main things yahoo still did/i guess oath still does, is to run the email backends for a shitload of other isps and websites. it's why yahoo was able to have data leaks a few years back that affected 3 billion accounts or something, they ran email for so many others

yeah thats loving terrifying lmao

imagine using loving yahoo as your email backend/ jfc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

q.v. that harvard study that came out recently purportedly showing that the healthy number of french fries to eat at a sitting is six.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

yeah thats loving terrifying lmao

imagine using loving yahoo as your email backend/ jfc

heres a short list of major isps that use yahoo as their email backend:
verizon (of course, since they bought them)
at&t
frontier
rogers (canada)
bt (uk)
sky (uk)

also all the old aol accounts are now on the yahoo backend service as a result of the merger

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the first thing my nutritionist did when I showed up with hepatic steatosis was cut me from 2% milk to 1% (she’s against skimmed because vitamin d absorption or something)

long story short I’m down 25 lbs in six months and it’s probably because of that one thing

also a strict diet and gym three times a week but mostly the 1% milk yeah

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
who still uses their isp for email?

olds, ok sure but who else?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
more like hepatic steakosis

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Xaris posted:

these are the words of somebody who didn't have to deal with AT&T Broadband buying Excite@Home in 1999 and then Comcast buying AT&T Broadband in 2002

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pseudorandom name posted:

these are the words of somebody who didn't have to deal with AT&T Broadband buying Excite@Home in 1999 and then Comcast buying AT&T Broadband in 2002

during the time excite@home existed, there was also like comcast@home, cox@home etc and on some of those you'd have some sort of @home email as well as an @comcast email etc

also there was tci@home customers who got bought by att cable and were att@home for a bit and then became regular att and then got bought by comcast

poo poo was weird and hosed up

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quote:

Verizon’s Media business, branded Oath, has experienced increased competitive and market pressures throughout 2018 that have resulted in lower than expected revenues and earnings. These pressures are expected to continue and have resulted in a loss of market positioning to our competitors in the digital advertising business. Oath has also achieved lower than expected benefits from the integration of the Yahoo Inc. and AOL Inc. businesses. Effective August 1, 2018, Hans Vestberg became Chief Executive Officer of Verizon, and effective October 1, 2018, K. Guru Gowrappan was appointed Chief Executive Officer of the Media business.

In connection with Verizon’s annual budget process in the fourth quarter, the new leadership at both Oath and Verizon completed a comprehensive five-year strategic planning review of Oath’s business prospects resulting in unfavorable adjustments to Oath’s financial projections. These revised projections were used as a key input into the Company’s annual goodwill impairment test performed in the fourth quarter. Consistent with our accounting policy, we applied a combination of a market approach and a discounted cash flow method reflecting current assumptions and inputs, including our revised projections, discount rate and expected growth rates, which resulted in the fair value of the Oath reporting unit being less than its carrying amount. As a result, the Company expects to record a non-cash goodwill impairment charge of approximately $4.6 billion ($4.5 billion after-tax) in the fourth quarter of 2018. The goodwill balance of the Oath reporting unit was approximately $4.8 billion prior to the incurrence of this impairment charge.

So, let me see if I got this:

2010: AoL buys Huffpost for $315 million
2013: Yahoo buys Tumblr for $1.1 billion (the PDF Killer!)
2015: Verizon buys AOL for $4.4 billion
2016: Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.8 billion

so thats $10,600,000,000 in real money

2017: Verizon created oath, says Oath is worth about $4.8 billion
2018: Verizon says the Oath is really only worth about $200 million?

0.2 Tumblr
0.04 AOLs/Yahoos
0.6 Huffposts

So, does this mean that once these very real companies with very real accounting practices got ahold of these tech companies they realized the ad bubble online was worthless?

Also, how does this square with people who work at Yahoo? I assume this write down isn't "Yahoo is worth 100 million to us" but the brand oath is only worth $200m on the open market?

Also also:

quote:

The Verizon media unit's poor performance led the company to make "unfavorable adjustments to Oath's financial projections" for the next five years.

Verizon plans to focus more on wireless technology and less on content and distribution.

So what happens to Yahoo now? They shut it down? Spin it off? Sell it? They're already killing Tumblr (LOL the timing on that and this announcement is amazing).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
of course the "oath" brand has no value, Verizon hasn't done anything to promote "oath" and it doesn't have the 30 or 25 years of name recognition of yahoo or AOL

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pseudorandom name posted:

I’m curious explain

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oath is a trashcan brand, so all this garbage they bought won't get on verizon's hands

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

I’m curious explain

"@home" was a company that cobranded and partially ran isp services for various telephone and cable companies so that they could expand into dsla nd cable internet without really needing to develop in-house email and internet account and all that stuff

it fell apart over 2000 and 2001 and many of those companies also sold off their services to other companies - like at one point AT&T operated seperate DSL and cable internet/TV operations in some places, and the cable stuff was mostly bought by Comcast (and to a small extent other companies) which is why AT&T doesn't still offer regular cable/cable internet

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

so thats $10,600,000,000 in real money

usually you offer them lots of your stock so generally it's not all real money. but yeah

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Verizon paid $4.4 billion for aol and $4.8 billion for yahoo.

They much rather still have $9.2 billion dollars than $9.2 billion of tax deduction.

if they’d just bought their own stock they’d have a 16% return lol.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Xaris posted:

I’m curious explain

my email address was forcibly changed twice in a three year period and I learned never to use my ISP's email service again

paying for an @aol.com address is a perfectly reasonable decision

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

oath is a trashcan brand, so all this garbage they bought won't get on verizon's hands

i think it goes underappreciated, but your insight into branding is top notch

edited from "marketing and advertising"

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 12, 2018

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Share Bear posted:

i think it goes underappreciated, but your insight into branding is top notch

edited from "marketing and advertising"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

verizon buying aol was pretty funny. the whole company was a shambling hulk propped up by dialup revenue, which by that point had really really fat gross margin. rather than admit that probably the best they could do was let the whole thing die naturally paying dividends for decades, mgmt wanted to pivot to adtech and content. everyone at director and above was obsessed with moonshots that would vault AOL back to the top. never did ofc but that dialup cashflow let them try again, and again, and again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“new” aol had a brief blip of relevance 10 years ago as a catchall blog owner for a lot of stuff young people were into but Facebook and particularly their false video claims nuked it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
aol_headbang.gif

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

shingy was right about people sitting on their couch with their phones

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

verizon buying aol was pretty funny. the whole company was a shambling hulk propped up by dialup revenue, which by that point had really really fat gross margin. rather than admit that probably the best they could do was let the whole thing die naturally paying dividends for decades, mgmt wanted to pivot to adtech and content. everyone at director and above was obsessed with moonshots that would vault AOL back to the top. never did ofc but that dialup cashflow let them try again, and again, and again

the building they leased for a while across the street from their old campus was sad. loudoun county made them take down the banner with the aol logo they put on the side instead of a sign because it was against zoning to have a permanent banner in that office park. :laugh:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hifi posted:

shingy was right about people sitting on their couch with their phones

what’s the quote?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

what’s the quote?

“Do you like the scent?” Shingy said. A diffuser released a fragrance (called London) designed by Tom Dixon into the air. Shingy’s office features another of Dixon’s scents (Orientalist), but Armstrong’s, he pointed out, was newer.

“It’s funny,” Armstrong said. “I thought it was the cleaning materials. The cleaning lady was in here last night, and I’m like, ‘I love the smell of this table!’ She was like, ‘Um, O.K.’ ”

“I still need to put some sound in here,” Shingy said.

Armstrong looked around. “I have meetings here, and people don’t know where to sit,” he said.

“They’ll figure it out, man,” Shingy said.

He took an Uber car uptown to IPG Mediabrands, an advertising firm, where he was due to give a speech. “I think some folks from Applebee’s are going to be in the house,” he said. “I’m more of a caffeine-free, gluten-free, raw-food sort of guy, but I am able to find something to like in every brand once I hear their story.”

He told the Applebee’s people that to make their brand “remarkable, reactive, and relevant” they have to tell stories in real time. Everyone is talking about SoLoMo—social, local, mobile—but they should be talking about HoMo: home/mobile, cell phones used on the couch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can understand a company hiring a "digital prophet" in like 1998, but I really can't understand why he was getting paid for this in 2018.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
god I love those paragraphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
they should be talking about homo indeed