Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I would 100% ride my bike more to get around if the bike paths were fully connected. I want to go from Te Atatu to north west mall say but part of it is on a kind of hosed road and my wife is like 'u will get run over immediately and die' but I don't want to get arrested for riding on the footpath so I've never ridden it. If they painted a line down that one road's footpath it would be great for me, plus I don't see people walking there very much either. Seems a bit crazy to say don't even bother with footpath bike lanes. Maybe just make it legal to ride on footpaths if you're not being an egg? Functionally no change.

Also, I got my ebike up to 60km/h no problem down a hill lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

Just looked it up and it seems nz is the wild west because the government doesn't stipulate a maximum assist speed, so whether you have a limiter or not is down to the manufacturer and distributor. Which means we have essentially unregistered, warrantless mopeds running around. Neat!
nzta "recommends" 32kph for experienced riders, and some manufacturers limit their bikes to this even though they technically don't have to (since they have to limit it in other countries so all that stuff is still there anyway)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just looked it up and it seems nz is the wild west because the government doesn't stipulate a maximum assist speed, so whether you have a limiter or not is down to the manufacturer and distributor. Which means we have essentially unregistered, warrantless mopeds running around. Neat!

https://kiwihoverboard.co.nz/product/m1-black-fat-tyre-scooter-off-road/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I know, they are terrible and a menace

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

I would 100% ride my bike more to get around if the bike paths were fully connected. I want to go from Te Atatu to north west mall say but part of it is on a kind of hosed road and my wife is like 'u will get run over immediately and die' but I don't want to get arrested for riding on the footpath so I've never ridden it. If they painted a line down that one road's footpath it would be great for me, plus I don't see people walking there very much either. Seems a bit crazy to say don't even bother with footpath bike lanes. Maybe just make it legal to ride on footpaths if you're not being an egg? Functionally no change.

Also, I got my ebike up to 60km/h no problem down a hill lol

Nobody gives a flying gently caress if you ride on the sidewalk, a cop will never ever ticket you for it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
That's great but how does it help me stop being a goody 2 shoes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nobody gives a flying gently caress if you ride on the sidewalk, a cop will never ever ticket you for it

I say this to people constantly when they tell me biking isn't safe, but most NZers are natural rule followers!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I've regularly hit 50kmh on mine.

The true menace no one is talking about is the loving flamingo scooters left all over the local bike paths and footpaths. Love to have a company make my life worse, then say they can't be held responsible for the actions of the people using their services. Maybe you shouldn't loving exist then?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it says you need a learners to ride this, but how can that be true? you don't need a learners to ride an electric scooter, and this is clearly not a moped.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ghostlight posted:

it says you need a learners to ride this, but how can that be true? you don't need a learners to ride an electric scooter, and this is clearly not a moped.

It probably intended to be on the road instead of the sidewalk (and as you said it's not a moped so it isn't getting any favors there), both of which would need a liscense afaik. The 'offroad' version has no such requirements.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

carrionman posted:

I've regularly hit 50kmh on mine.

The true menace no one is talking about is the loving flamingo scooters left all over the local bike paths and footpaths. Love to have a company make my life worse, then say they can't be held responsible for the actions of the people using their services. Maybe you shouldn't loving exist then?

I throw them into the bushes at every opportunity

Ghostlight posted:

There is this gaping, cavernous hole in NZ law that starts at the 50cc mark

If you make electric pseudo moped things legally a moped then they have to meet nzta road worthiness standards which almost none of them do.

If you want to draw a line between those things and 50cc scooters then you have to distinguish between a true moped (has pedals and an engine/motor) and a scooter (engine/motor power only), which are legally currently the same thing. If you do this you must then require a full license and wof for scooters, at which point the entire scooter industry in NZ collapses because you can't sell a Chinese scooter for $1500 with a free helmet if you also have to care about things like that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

something awful forums posters absolutely seething at this "worse than nothing" bike infrastructure

literally unusable, I certainly don't trundle the whole way down at 20kph every day, happily separated from the traffic

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like absolute poo poo and I am on the road in both of those spots. The drivers would be much less angry at me if the magic symbols weren't painted there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Ride on the sidewalk' is the car driver version of 'go back to your country' and the best solution is to swamp every street with hundreds of bicycles

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The issue is that Kiwis blaze out of their driveways, and if you're biking on the footpath you're likely to get knocked off, as I have in the past.

That's why proper cycleways have line of sight worked out for each driveway, which is again a huge difference when you're getting into that 30kmph range.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

There is this gaping, cavernous hole in NZ law that starts at the 50cc mark

If you make electric pseudo moped things legally a moped then they have to meet nzta road worthiness standards which almost none of them do.

If you want to draw a line between those things and 50cc scooters then you have to distinguish between a true moped (has pedals and an engine/motor) and a scooter (engine/motor power only), which are legally currently the same thing. If you do this you must then require a full license and wof for scooters, at which point the entire scooter industry in NZ collapses because you can't sell a Chinese scooter for $1500 with a free helmet if you also have to care about things like that.
The definition of a moped under NZ law doesn't require pedals, and mopeds don't require a full license.

After doing some reading though the actual thing is just that the page is lying. The NZTA have advised the police that e-scooters of this type (beyond what fits in the low-power vehicle category) should be treated as if they were categorised as mopeds (despite exceeding the limits that distinguish a moped from a motorcycle) and should be registered, warranted, and licensed as such.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The definition of a moped under NZ law doesn't require pedals, and mopeds don't require a full license.

No poo poo, that's the problem!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What?
But if a moped not requiring a full license is the problem then how would distinguishing e-scooters from mopeds (scooters) require e-scooters to get a full license? Contrary to your assertions, e-scooters are already distinguished under the law from scooters/mopeds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

300 watts is the line between an electric scooter and an actual scooter, looks like the law has changed. Idk where the average electric shitter lands on this.

But also you don't need a full license for a 50cc or a warrant of fitness and that, to me, is hosed.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

both of your photos have lightpoles in the middle of the supposed cyclelane bike tory. am i supposed to be owned by this

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

bike tory posted:

something awful forums posters absolutely seething at this "worse than nothing" bike infrastructure

literally unusable, I certainly don't trundle the whole way down at 20kph every day, happily separated from the traffic
What am I missing about NZ footpaths here, because this is about 3x the width of paths where I used to live with dozens of other bikes and people and everyone manages to negotiate this pretty smoothly?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

300 watts is the line past which an electric scooter isn't classified as a low-powered vehicle (and therefore can be on the road legally without registration, licensing, etc)

It doesn't become an actual scooter (moped) past that line because in 2018 e-scooters were explicitly declared to not be motor-vehicles under 168D of the Land Transport Act.

What defines an actual scooter (moped) is, essentially, that it is a less powerful motorcycle. It cannot have a engine above 50cc or a top speed above 50kph, or else it's a motorcycle.

Essentially the blind-spot is that when we declared e-scooters to not be motor-vehicles we failed to anticipate that technology would advance and produce an e-scooter that is essentially a motorcycle that cannot legally be on the road because it is not a permitted vehicle type, but in response the NZTA have informally declared that it can be considered a permitted vehicle type if you get a WOF, registration, and a license for it as if it were a moped.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But you don't need a wof for a moped!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh you're right on that one. You do need registration and license still.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A learner license yeah

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
And some kind of armoured gloves.

Got side-swiped off the road in Hawkes Bay by the usual sort and I'm pretty sure my left hand didn't have its fingers re-set correctly.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

here's my favourite bit of painted footpath

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you think that pole is a problem, wait until you see how much space a car takes up! The answer might shock you!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're right, that's why they need to get off the streets and make room for my bicycle

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You're right, that's why they need to get off the streets and make room for my bicycle

At least we can agree on that.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
not sure what the point of speed limiting e-bikes to 25kmh would be considering I can hit 45/50 going down even the smallest of hills in wellington on an acoustic bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My totally irrational belief is that you earned that speed by climbing the hill and doing it with an ebike is just all the power with none of the responsibility born of attainment.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
sooo i wrote a thing

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131374232/a-year-on-from-the-parliamentary-riots-mps-just-get-on-with-life

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I regularly got up to and over 55 passing cars going down here on Adelaide road, island bay, Wellington on my push bike

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HbWju6w5g7jD3YQZA

I do think it was pretty irresponsible but in the moment it ruled and if I didn't have to stop at the roundabout I didn't have to pedal for a.couple of blocks lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/03/02/dont-f-come-and-talk-to-me-wayne-brown-snaps-at-reporter/

Old mate is just on fire

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Labour: pro covid response

National: pro cops

Seymour: pro poo flingers

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Was it this thread that had the goon who was of the opinion that if your bike had tyres any wider than a road bikes you may as well drive, because the rubber dust coming off them was the same amount of pollution as a car, exhaust fumes and all?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Quoting my favorite bit of your piece:

David Seymour posted:

“Look, I think it was a very sad chapter in New Zealand history. And we have to be honest, the cause was a needlessly inflexible vaccination policy and the childish response of the Speaker.
No, I think the people getting shunned and exiled from their social circles in addition to their professions had little to do with government policies. Unless we're blaming the government for not letting people easily lie about their regressive anti-[science/intellectualism/academia] views.

Anti-plague measures are inflexible by need, ya dolt. (edit: talking to Seymour)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carrionman posted:

Was it this thread that had the goon who was of the opinion that if your bike had tyres any wider than a road bikes you may as well drive, because the rubber dust coming off them was the same amount of pollution as a car, exhaust fumes and all?

ridin dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I did an electric conversion on my bike a couple or years ago. 1000W motor can hit 50kph which I've only done once while testing.

lovely old mountain bikes don't really like going 50kph, I'm pretty sure it was trying to kill me.
I prefer to cruise 25-30 kph , and anyway the stock bank trails I'm usually on have a couple of holes in them atm.