Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

Let it be know that I don't explicitly disagree, but I've just come to accept that Subaru is no longer the little Japanese outfit it used to be, and they don't really seem to look back all that often.

Subaru’s most popular car in the US is formally a legacy station wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Curry posted:

Speaking of WRX wagons, my wife has a 2014 and she loves everything about it except the headlights. I’ve seen posts that we may be able to swap in HIDs from the STI.

Has anyone done it or know where to find a good write up? My googling came up with mostly aftermarket headlight installs and I don’t want to be blinding people when we drive.

Closest thing I found
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648308

hobbesmaster posted:

Subaru’s most popular car in the US is formally a legacy station wagon.

Yea but I'm talking about the WRX? Are you suggesting that because an older legacy wagon sold well that formula automatically copy pastes onto the WRX for instant success?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

um excuse me posted:

Closest thing I found
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2648308

Yea but I'm talking about the WRX? Are you suggesting that because an older legacy wagon sold well that formula automatically copy pastes onto the WRX for instant success?

Kinda, yeah. Hatch/sedan sales were split pretty evenly. The wagons weren’t a niche option like with other cars. https://www.motortrend.com/news/subaru-wrx-wagon-not-likely-after-all/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

um excuse me posted:

the car they’re referring to is the Outback, which remains Subaru’s sales leader, along with the Crosstrek, in the US by an order of magnitude over any of their sedans, including the WRX

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

um excuse me posted:

-Subaru has been quoted as expressing interest in bringing the WRX to a more mature crowd, this means calmer tunes, softer lines, and more luxury features. Eyesight and CVT is exactly the kinds of changes they want. They don't even really like the hood scoop anymore.

As a "mature" buyer (42 with plenty of disposable income and an 19 year history of owning two WRXs) they completely and totally failed to hit the mark with this car.

I mean, for fucks sake, they tied adaptive dampers and recaros to the CVT.

What Subaru thinks they are building -> an Audi A3 or Golf R alternative

What they actually built-> something that competes poorly with a Sonata while borrowing the worst of Crosstrek styling with none of convenience bits

In a year of manufactures putting out really nice advancements in their models, this stands out as one of the worst revamps in years.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i own every Bionicle posted:

Kinda, yeah. Hatch/sedan sales were split pretty evenly. The wagons weren’t a niche option like with other cars. https://www.motortrend.com/news/subaru-wrx-wagon-not-likely-after-all/

The thing about that though is that the current gen sold better than both combined. There might be an argument if sales were the same or less than the outgoing model, but looking at WRX sales from 2016 to now show theyre still holding strong. Subaru doesnt really have any motivation to do the extra tooling work to make an additional model, unless they just convert the Levorg for US sales.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bull3964 posted:

As a "mature" buyer (42 with plenty of disposable income and an 19 year history of owning two WRXs) they completely and totally failed to hit the mark with this car.

What Subaru thinks they are building -> an Audi A3 or Golf R alternative

What they actually built-> something that competes poorly with a Sonata while borrowing the worst of Crosstrek styling with none of convenience bits

In a year of manufactures putting out really nice advancements in their models, this stands out as one of the worst revamps in years.

It’s ok tho. There’s a Type R coming, and it’s a hatchback. Also a Z. Even the BRZ/86 looks solid enough this time.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they're really still riding on that rally car heritage from 15+ years ago eh lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s ok tho. There’s a Type R coming, and it’s a hatchback. Also a Z. Even the BRZ/86 looks solid enough this time.

I mentioned this in the other thread but I'm fully intending to trade my BRZ in on one of the new twins in a year or two and I think I'm going GT86 this time due to not wanting a Subaru badge in my driveway after this hot mess.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

um excuse me posted:

The thing about that though is that the current gen sold better than both combined. There might be an argument if sales were the same or less than the outgoing model, but looking at WRX sales from 2016 to now show theyre still holding strong. Subaru doesnt really have any motivation to do the extra tooling work to make an additional model, unless they just convert the Levorg for US sales.

Thats a good point. I’m sure they would have sold more overall if they also offered a hatch/wagon, and some customers who flat won’t buy a sedan probably went to a GTI/Golf R or Focus ST/RS.

A lot of us were disappointed the VA was sedan only and kept hoping the hatch/wagon would come back for this generation, only to be disappointed again.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hi it's me, I didn't buy a WRX because of the lack of a hatch and somewhat because of the premium requirement. I have a Focus ST now that I got when Ford decided to stop making cars for the US that weren't Mustangs. I do miss the way AWD feels into and out of corners.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ditto, I ended 19 years of WRX ownership by buying a Golf R.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Subaru was happy to replace both of you with flat bill wearing vapers financing base WRX’s with burble tunes

dk2m
May 6, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I pretty much agree with this take. It’s sad to see one of my favorite cars become a giant joke but these things sell themselves and I have no doubt I’ll see them all over the place.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Subaru was happy to replace both of you with flat bill wearing vapers financing base WRX’s with burble tunes
but I thought they wanted to attract a more mature crowd :confused::confused:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I kinda wanna get the orange one :shrug:

I might.

Edit: looking at it on a bigger screen, I don’t think so now.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 11, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So in the press release:

quote:

...the new Subaru Performance Transmission (automatic) which offers up to 30 percent faster upshifts (2nd to 3rd) and 50 percent faster downshifts (3rd to 2nd). The automatic transmission incorporates adaptive shift control that can quickly respond to perform rev-matching downshifts under braking, maintain the ideal ratio through corners, and respond faster on corner exit. Total ratio coverage range has been enlarged, and lower ‘fixed’ gear ratios have been revised to improve acceleration and response.

Odds on it being the same CVT as the XT and Ascent? It can't take any tuning with the turbo so if so a lot of people are going to blow them up.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

BRZ fake engine sound comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVLyVsXCT-g

Apparently it can be disabled by the dealer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Do I really need to post that Subaru actually do make a WRX wagon? And it's a wonderful car blighted by a loving CVT?

quote:

What the actual gently caress?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the WRX wagon? IIRC the Crosstrek doesn't have a turbo version, the Legacy and Outback are much bigger.

This whole discussion is why I can't say that even if I had the $40k or whatever to spend on a car that I would choose a new Subaru. I don't know what I would pick tbh. Manual, AWD, sporty, and not stuffed full of electronics that remove your connection to the road isn't exactly a crowded field. I haven't driven a late '00s - '20s car that I like as much from a driving perspective as a '90s Impreza despite the fact that almost everything from that timeframe I have driven is far faster than the Impreza.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The answer is you are better off to ditch the AWD requirement (invest in wheels/tires instead) and then there's a much more open world.

If you only need two seats, one of the twins (from non-person carrying capacity they aren't far behind a sedan WRX, the trunk is cavernous for the size of the car.) or the new Z.
If you need to carry 4 people occasionally, GTI, Civic Type-R, Veloster N.

Seriously though, the new GTI looks to pretty soundly beat the WRX on everything except the whole AWD thing. It's going to be just as quick (officially 6.3 0-60 but been tested to 5.4). It's also going to be very nicely equipped and only a little bit more expensive (maybe, we actually don't know what the price of this WRX is yet.)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I get good tires but I also live where it snows like 8/12 months so I'd prefer AWD too. And ideally a limited slip diff or some kind of smart torque vectoring for poo poo traction.

TBH my ideal car really would be a turbo Crosstrek, good ground clearance, small, manual, IDGAF about it being rattly or cheap-feeling inside, I still drive a '90s poverty-spec Impreza if you want to talk about rattly and cheap.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the WRX wagon? IIRC the Crosstrek doesn't have a turbo version, the Legacy and Outback are much bigger.

The international Levorg STI not sold in North America. Think it's primarily Southeast Asia and the underworlds of Australia/NZ.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the WRX wagon?

quote:

the Legacy and Outback are much bigger

The WRX is not much smaller. It's in reality a previous gen Legacy sedan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 10, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looking closer at the 2022 WRX back end and plastic bits… is it too late to order a 2021? I’d want a limited with the sound upgrade and have never seen one that isn’t a base/premium at my dealers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Who the gently caress comes in the Subaru thread and says that wagons are stupid??

lmao imagine being so clueless

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Who the gently caress comes in the Subaru thread and says that wagons are stupid??

Subaru of America.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wonder if the STI will get the body cladding painted, like most manufacturers do with the premium versions of their SUV’s.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rolo posted:

Looking closer at the 2022 WRX back end and plastic bits… is it too late to order a 2021? I’d want a limited with the sound upgrade and have never seen one that isn’t a base/premium at my dealers.

yeah I'm happy with my 2020 and like the look better. Doesn't seem like the new one gains any power for the little bit of extra displacement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

large hands posted:

yeah I'm happy with my 2020 and like the look better. Doesn't seem like the new one gains any power for the little bit of extra displacement.

Also what the heck is going on here

The logo is half into the black trim, the lights are civic lights and that black plastic bumper is going to bash my knees every time I’m loading the trunk.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Wow the bumper does actually stick out quite a bit. I thought it was just perspective at first.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mother of god

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Why is everyone so negative? Subaru just heeded everyone asking for a Crosstrek Sti.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked it in the video on my phone, but looking at it on a big screen I’m seeing how insanely :pwn: the plastic bits are.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

JohnCompany posted:

Why is everyone so negative? Subaru just heeded everyone asking for a Crosstrek Sti.

Make it a hatchback and 400hp and DCT instead of CVT and we’re good!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rolo posted:

The logo is half into the black trim, the lights are civic lights and that black plastic bumper is going to bash my knees every time I’m loading the trunk.

I'm missing something... two WRX badges on the back? And the center one is misaligned? Where the heck does the license plate go?

I'm not a fan of the redesign. I bought a 2020 WRX thinking I may possibly regret buying so late into a model. Heard the new WRX may get a big power boost, started weighing my options just in case it ended up looking awesome and/or is a wagon. No! I will be keeping the 2020 for sure. That mandatory black molding all over the car is horrendous, and is only going to look worse with age & sun damage. Can we just have a Levorg wagon instead? (And what happened to that rumored 300 HP power boost?)

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 11, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

enojy posted:

I'm missing something... two WRX badges on the back? And the center one is misaligned? Where the heck does the license plate go?

I think the plate goes where that center logo is.

Also, fellow wagon aficionado adding to the roll call. A Crosstrek STi would be awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

enojy posted:

I bet one of them gets replaced with the STi badge on the STI

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rolo posted:

drat thats approaching civic type R fugly levels, and I don't say that lightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna call my local dealer today and see if I can order a 21. Getting the last car in a generation doesn’t bug me if my other option is, well, that.