Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s the new VROD, the objectively best* harley that harley owners hated!!

*besides the xr1200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sagebrush posted:

Half the appeal of H-D bikes to their target market is that they sound like a Harley and can be made loud and obnoxious.

The other half of their appeal is that they still look the same way they did in 1958.

This bike has neither of those features; ergo it will not sell to any of the people who generally buy Harleys.

If they end up making an electric bike that has a 120-mile all-up range, doesn't weigh 600 pounds, and costs under 10k, they'll probably sell very well. Outside that....ehhhhhh

they made the electric motor on the prototype intentionally loud as gently caress :v:

I wonder how noise on an electric motor affects the range

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Razzled posted:

wow that's exceptionally terrible. 50 mile range doesn't even get me to work and back

But, does it smell like a pack of cigarettes and dead cow leather when it's parked?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

R-Type posted:

But, does it smell like a pack of cigarettes and dead cow leather when it's parked?

No, but the owners do/will.

They need to put huge speakers on it that blast Traditional Harley Sounds (tm) as you throttle it. Amps and Sub Package are a $3000 add on from the factory.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I feel like the Lightning is supposed to be a halo bike to attract younger, environmentally conscious buyers, and it's going to be dead on arrival:

1) Most of the 20-somethings I know don't appreciate bikes or cars, have a hard enough time just making rent, and spend what little free cash they have on other things like music and travel. Even if they had the cash to spare, I don't see them looking to the storied HD marque for 10K+ in accessory transportation that only has a 50 mile range.
2) HD's existing market will have little or no interest in this thing other than as an oddity
3) We all saw how well Harley dealers did selling Buells - if it's not covered in chrome and tassels it's going to gather dust on the dealership floor. They'd need to release it under a completely separate brand and sell it through a different channel than their existing dealership network.

If HD want to actually start gaining market share and making money again they need to rip off the loving band-aid, stop trying to sell the motorcycle rebel image/lifestyle, and make interesting, affordable bikes that more than a few people under 60 would actually buy - not cheap half-measures like the "see, it still looks like a Harley!" Street 750. This would be a loving massive shift from their current direction and would possibly piss off a lot of their existing customer base.

Side note - 50 miles out of a peanut tank could be fine if there's a gas station inside that 50 miles. There aren't a ton of charging stations for electric vehicles out there, and waiting hours for it to charge from a standard wall outlet won't work for most people.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

If they end up making an electric bike that has a 120-mile all-up range, doesn't weigh 600 pounds, and costs under 10k, they'll probably sell very well. Outside that....ehhhhhh

Zero and Alta are close, but they're but probably three years off still. If anyone could cross it right now it'd probably be a major manufacturer, but that manufacturer being Harley? lol keep dreaming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It would be unbelievably ironic if the historically lowest tech motorcycle manufacturer suddenly puts out the highest tech motorcycle.

Or alternately they make the Harley Davidson of electric bikes: A brushed DC motor controlled by a mechanical speed controller that runs off a shitload of series-ed NICad AA cells

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You guys really need to think about not-america, I think you're really underestimating Harley's cleverness and adaptability. HD fans in this country (and I assume others) tend to vary in demographics a lot. Ten years ago it was all midlife crisis chromosexuals but nowadays there are loads of people in their 20's buying them for the cool factor and spraying everything black; I would say most of the harley owners I deal with are under 40 and a good chunk are under 30, although they generally buy sportsters because the larger models are too expensive even used. There's the look-like-a-gang-member scene, the look-like-a-hotrod scene, the flat-track/hipster scene and even a few guys stunting sportsters.

IMO despite their apparent inactivity HD are actually making an immense effort to capture new buyers and do interesting stuff. The new softtail range are amazing to look at up close, the materials quality and fit/finish are easily on a par with honda or yamaha and, even more astonishingly, they ride real gud. The milwaukee 8 is an incredible engine, I've ridden the new fat bob back to back with a diavel and I preferred the harley by far. Every segment now has a bike with little to no chrome and normal bars/pegs, they even make a cafe racer.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

No, but the owners do/will.

They need to put huge speakers on it that blast Traditional Harley Sounds (tm) as you throttle it. Amps and Sub Package are a $3000 add on from the factory.

Huge sound system?
...range now 40 miles.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Other than the range and the fact that the regenerative function during "engine braking" made it feel like your brake pads were made of gravel. I actually liked the "livewire" Harley:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Slavvy posted:

You guys really need to think about not-america, I think you're really underestimating Harley's cleverness and adaptability. HD fans in this country (and I assume others) tend to vary in demographics a lot. Ten years ago it was all midlife crisis chromosexuals but nowadays there are loads of people in their 20's buying them for the cool factor and spraying everything black; I would say most of the harley owners I deal with are under 40 and a good chunk are under 30, although they generally buy sportsters because the larger models are too expensive even used. There's the look-like-a-gang-member scene, the look-like-a-hotrod scene, the flat-track/hipster scene and even a few guys stunting sportsters.

IMO despite their apparent inactivity HD are actually making an immense effort to capture new buyers and do interesting stuff. The new softtail range are amazing to look at up close, the materials quality and fit/finish are easily on a par with honda or yamaha and, even more astonishingly, they ride real gud. The milwaukee 8 is an incredible engine, I've ridden the new fat bob back to back with a diavel and I preferred the harley by far. Every segment now has a bike with little to no chrome and normal bars/pegs, they even make a cafe racer.

The problem I think in the US is bigger than just HD. Just look at the AMA spending so much energy lobbying against helmet laws, while our death rate is astronomically high compared to Europe. I don't blame anyone who decides that it's just not safe. I'm hesitant to suggest motorcycling to anyone I know because they're not held to any standard for training or protection and I'd probably blame myself if they died being stupid. I bet motorcycle sales would go up if we actually lobbied FOR helmet laws or, God help us, tiered licensing and brought mortality rates down. Hell, just banning cell phone use while driving in more states would probably help.

Combo that with HD's racist potato pirate stereotype. Even if it's a small minority, HD's done nothing to avoid it and very few millenials want to touch that. Just because only 1/100 people poo poo in the pool doesn't mean I want to swim in it.

I agree they're nice bikes. I'd get a 1200 Sportster in a heartbeat, especially if I could afford one with ABS. They're pretty, and no loving valve adjustments or chain maintenance sounds great to me. People bitch about lean angle and weight and poo poo but really if you're out-riding the bike on the street you're probably being an idiot.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dutymode posted:

Combo that with HD's racist potato pirate stereotype. Even if it's a small minority, HD's done nothing to avoid it and very few millenials want to touch that.
They've done nothing but embrace that image for decades. Only in the last year or two have they realized how narrow their owner demographic is and are starting to include non-old-white-racist-males in their advertising. They actually named a bike after the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that's how much HD loves reactionary jingoism. They deserve any bankruptcy they get. Also their bikes are too heavy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They actually named a bike after the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that's how much HD loves reactionary jingoism. They deserve any bankruptcy they get. Also their bikes are too heavy.

I think HD deserves whatever bankruptcy they get, and certainly has embraced and encouraged a number of horrible mindsets. The Fat Boy being named after the bombs is an urban myth, it appears.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it doesnt have to be named after to still be an awful name

it makes about as much sense as "heritage not hate." The public perception matters a lot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'The public' hasn't got a clue what the bombs dropped on the Japanese were called jfc. There are bigger things to get pissy about even in our little two wheeled corner of the world.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
HD deserves to go bankrupt for being stupid enough to stray from their awesome flat track roots into the retarded 1000 lb dumpster cycles that litter the desolate flatland states of the midwest

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I don't understand why HD just can't make cool/modern bikes and vintage shitbox cruisers at the same time. There are plenty of dudes that ride 'rice rockets' that would fall all over themselves to buy sport bikes / sporty bikes made in America.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Becuase making something other than a cruiser is admitting defeat and super un-American.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
wasnt that what buell was

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It also seems really easy to build a Japanese style sportbike until you actually try and realise you're trying to shortcut decades of institutional knowledge. Plus they're a shrinking market in general; a sporty naked with a sportster engine is a lot more achievable, and would probably sell well if they made an effort to integrate it into the Harley canon and made it look like a normal bike instead of Uncle Erik's fantabulous contraptionism.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EX250 Type R posted:

wasnt that what buell was

And look how many times they admitted defeat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coydog posted:

I think HD deserves whatever bankruptcy they get, and certainly has embraced and encouraged a number of horrible mindsets. The Fat Boy being named after the bombs is an urban myth, it appears.

The bombs were called "Fat Man" and "Little Boy". The phrase "fat boy" -harley returns 4.98 million google search results.

The bike isn't named after the bombs, and I would bet money that the first person to suggest they were already had some real serious problems with the Japanese.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Anecdotally I've got both my bikes out and about these days and the Hawk GT, despite being the rarer, more refined, more desirable, and all-around better bike, gets almost no attention, while people take loving selfies with my CL350 and offer to buy it off me as I'm putting on my gloves.

People love that retro style.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Marlon, the guy behind the infamous "Honest review of the Triumph Bonneville" video has come out of the ether and released 2 new videos about putting aftermarket mods on a W650.

If you haven't seen it, go watch all of these:

https://www.youtube.com/user/StrangelyBrownNo1/videos

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Anecdotally I've got both my bikes out and about these days and the Hawk GT, despite being the rarer, more refined, more desirable, and all-around better bike, gets almost no attention, while people take loving selfies with my CL350 and offer to buy it off me as I'm putting on my gloves.

People love that retro style.

Uh...

Are ancient cl350's really that common where you live?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Uh...

They're way more common than GT650s throughout most of the US I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I have seen a handful of 350 and 450 CL’s on the road. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Hawk GT in real life.

The GT didn’t sell well, there are just more CL’s out in the wild.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

There are plenty of dudes that ride 'rice rockets' that would fall all over themselves to buy sport bikes / sporty bikes made in America.

Actually this doesn't appear to be the case at all. "Why would I buy a $15000 EBR when I could get a $15000 GSXR without all that pesky engineering"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There’s also the fact that Suzuki doesn’t disavow the GSXR line’s existence and it actively supports and promotes it and you can trust that Suzuki, the GSXR, and their parts supply are going to be around 10 years from now.

That counts for a lot with people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Uh...

Honda built less than 10,000 NT650s across three years of sales (technically four, but there are only about 500 1991 models out there). That's worldwide sales -- I'd guess that about a third to 40% of them are in the USA.

On the other hand, Honda sold 250,000 CB350-series bikes, 100,000 of those in the USA, across six years of production. They're still the highest-selling motorcycle model in American history.

Even if you just count the CBs and NTs that are still on the road, the Hawk GT (which is thirty years old this year, so it's also a vintage bike by most definitions) is objectively much rarer.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 3, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Honda built less than 10,000 NT650s across three years of sales (technically four, but there are only about 500 1991 models out there). That's worldwide sales -- I'd guess that about a third to 40% of them are in the USA.

On the other hand, Honda sold 250,000 CB350-series bikes, 100,000 of those in the USA, across six years of production. They're still the highest-selling motorcycle model in American history.

Even if you just count the CBs and NTs that are still on the road, the Hawk GT (which is thirty years old this year, so it's also a vintage bike by most definitions) is objectively much rarer.

That is pretty amazing and makes me once again feel fortunate to live in Japan's dumpster cause I've seen countless nt650's (although always badged as BROS) but literally never seen a CL.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There's a super hosed up grey import NT650 for sale on autotrader right now for £750, and I was briefly tempted before realising it'd be utterly impossible to find parts, most prominently a stock seat to replace the dire looking aftermarket lump someone's put on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd buy that. The seat will be the only hard part to find, other stuff on them is very much regular old Honda bits. Might be a problem I'm the US, but you live in the home country of bearded men in sheds, where there's a fan club and website and aftermarket parts supply for the most obscure bikes ever made.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Half the appeal of H-D bikes to their target market is that they sound like a Harley and can be made loud and obnoxious.

The other half of their appeal is that they still look the same way they did in 1958.

This bike has neither of those features; ergo it will not sell to any of the people who generally buy Harleys.
I agree.

quote:

Nope, nope, and nope.

So, make a bike that people who normally buy Harleys won't buy, and also make a bike for people who normally DON'T buy Harleys won't buy. Seems to make good sense.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

One of mine turned the big three-oh this year.

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's a super hosed up grey import NT650 for sale on autotrader right now for £750, and I was briefly tempted before realising it'd be utterly impossible to find parts, most prominently a stock seat to replace the dire looking aftermarket lump someone's put on it.

Wemoto in the UK still sells parts for it, most of the US Hawk GT parts fit it, and there is still a good following over there, but that thing is pretty ratty. Mechanically I wouldn't worry about it 50k is nothing. They might be the most reliable bike Honda ever made as they don't have the typical reg/rec issues. One possible hidden issue I see is the chain is too tight. The Honda manual's chain procedure is wrong and if you overtighten it will shred the countershaft.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:aaaaa: I didn't even know the hawk came fully faired. That's beautiful.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

:aaaaa: I didn't even know the hawk came fully faired. That's beautiful.

They didn't! With enough time, money, and stubbornness any bike can have fairings, even a Grom (you know what to do!). This one was a former track bike. The Hawk was very popular in twins racing until the SV650 came along as a cheaper and more powerful option. Incidentally, the old adage of "don't buy track bikes and try to put them on the street" is 100% true. It has decorated my garage floor with every fluid possible. I've had to rebuild nearly everything on it and I haven't even got to the motor other than a carb rebuild/rejet and valve check. It's just a fun project with no time frame and I've completely bought into the sunk cost fallacy. I added the CBR600rr front end, Galfer rotors, 98-01 VFR rear wheel, SBK can, and a Mikuni vacuum fuel pump.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is the single best non-oem body kit I have ever seen. It looks completely factory on that bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seriously, the lines all match up perfectly. It looks better than the factory sv fairing (or any number of fully faired bikes tbh).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Funnily enough it's actually pretty easy to find bits for them, certainly easier than most grey imports (and didn't you used to have a 400?), because they were (and still are) popular with the Brazilian couriers in London, so there's still a pretty thriving scrap market.