Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It is a jest.

e:Holy crap did I mess up that url

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Totally taking an avatar off this page. Puppy Serious Time is definitely a well-timed breath for how the past few chapters have been.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

M.c.P posted:

I'm wondering what Annie is talking about when she says "that went quite well, I think."

Because dinner was an unmitigated poo poo show. Did she suddenly become so blind that she accepts that as good, or was she expecting something utterly worse?

Man who loving knows I'm just along for the ride at this point.

Nobody died, nobody ran off to the forest, there were no huge shouting matches. It went WAY better than one would initially assume that dinner would go.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Splicer posted:

It is a jest.

e:Holy crap did I mess up that url

Oh man I still like how that lizard on the next page is all "it has a heart on it~" :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wonder how the hyacinths are

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Mwahaha

My evil plan to get you all to waste your day on GC archives was successful

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

I'm contractually obliged to agree with this.

Also, I think my gutcheck is that the fire elemental side of her is being hidden from everyone, and that even Anthony isn't really aware of what's going on here, not entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong but that's my general read so far?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing is, the fire elemental is a good reason for that weird, massive white room he's keeping her in. If he's not aware of it, then why on earth is she in something like that? It takes us back to "what the gently caress is wrong with Anthony?" question if he just put her in there, while if he does know and is responsible then it actually makes some sense.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Would an Etheric creature be bound by the space it's in? I don't really feel like it would, and I'm pretty sure it's Etheric in nature (we get glimpses of the entirety of her room due to a few different shots, and Kat would've commented on it had it been over Annie in the few scenes we can see above Kat but not Annie).

I'm quite possibly wrong but the room being designed to "hold" the fire elemental doesn't click at all to me. Her telling it to come down was it telling it that it was safe to approach, and to me, indicated that her Dad wouldn't be coming in to find or sense it somehow.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well this now means Renard will disappear forever into the ether like Mort, who is gone forever and will never return, ever.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Well this now means Renard will disappear forever into the ether like Mort, who is gone forever and will never return, ever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

M.c.P posted:

I'm wondering what Annie is talking about when she says "that went quite well, I think."

Because dinner was an unmitigated poo poo show. Did she suddenly become so blind that she accepts that as good, or was she expecting something utterly worse?

Man who loving knows I'm just along for the ride at this point.

It's a really simple literal translation to physical reality of Annie's desperate attempt to fix what she perceives as the "problem" with her life. The problem being the extreme dichotomy between the expectations of her father, and the life she grew into while living away from her father. This dichotomy is represented by the fact that Annie with the short hair (dad annie) is physically separated from fire spirit Annie (mom annie). The fire spirit has an angry face because it's loving pissed about things. Not about the separation, but about what's going on.

Annie is still a little kid. Look at her standing there with that smug look on her face and that line "That went quite well, I think!" No it didn't Annie. Well, I mean it went according to your plan, but like you, M.c.P said, the dinner was horrible (for the reader) because nothing got taken care of. We're all left with "what the gently caress was the point of that". But Annie is very happy with the outcome.

The Donlan family represents two ideas at once. The first one is dumb and stupid, it's the desire to want to know more, it's the "direct approach" that Donald mentions. It doesn't work. It's the desire for answers. What are you working on Tony? Why were you missing? What happened to your face and hands? Shut up. That poo poo doesn't matter. This gets rebuked by Tony with really simple answers like "you know we can't discuss this", "I can't be so quick to trust Renard (the outsider)", "Antimony it is a school night". I like this last one because of what Annie does to Kat when Kat says "you can't use her like that". Like come on Kat, talk about irony. Kat is trying to use Annie in order to get the answers/vindication that she wants.

The second idea is not dumb and stupid, but we haven't seen much of it yet as it was taking the backstage on this chapter. It's the fact that what Tony has done to Annie and what he did when he came back to school are bad things and have really shocked Annie's system. Boom drop her off at school and leave her after her mom dies. Three years later, after she has slowly acclimated and actually has friends and poo poo (see Torn Sea), he reappears and gives another shock to the system. Neither of these shocks are good at all, beyond the fact that the first one led to friendships, and the second one is leading to hopefully reconciliation with her father.

Anyways, Annie desperately loves her father, and the reason why she is acting the way she does is exactly because of that. Love makes you do crazy things. What is crazy? This may not seem crazy to Annie ("That went quite well, I think!") but to Kat it's loving insane!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

That expression on her face when she says it went well reads like a mischievous smirk to me. I think it implies that she has some sort of plan going on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Mwahaha

My evil plan to get you all to waste your day on GC archives was successful

Hey, do you work here? Can you show me where the microwaves are?

Oh.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cool posted:

That expression on her face when she says it went well reads like a mischievous smirk to me. I think it implies that she has some sort of plan going on.

Yeah I agree. I just don't think her plan is as smart as she hopes it is.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Hell, it could be something as simple as trying trying to provoke a backlash against Tony and turn all his friends and acquaintances against him by playing up how awful he's being to her.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, if you want to play up the "the fire elemental half of Annie didn't consent to this split" interpretation of that page to the max... her remaining half's smirk could be read as taunting her fiery side as it frustratedly tries to get closer.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

SHISHKABOB posted:

The Donlan family represents two ideas at once. The first one is dumb and stupid, it's the desire to want to know more, it's the "direct approach" that Donald mentions. It doesn't work. It's the desire for answers. What are you working on Tony? Why were you missing? What happened to your face and hands? Shut up. That poo poo doesn't matter.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. How does one's old best friend showing up with scars and a missing hand "not matter"? How is it stupid to want to know about things?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ditocoaf posted:

I mean, if you want to play up the "the fire elemental half of Annie didn't consent to this split" interpretation of that page to the max... her remaining half's smirk could be read as taunting her fiery side as it frustratedly tries to get closer.
That's what I'm going with. The Mask has taken over.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ditocoaf posted:

That's the vibe this page gives me. It clashes a little with "you can come down now", but that could be further taunting--treating it like a pet.

It explains why it looks like the fire elemental wants to strangle her, anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo this page :3:

Also I'm really glad Tom is getting almost $6k through his Patreon.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Author comment for today's page, the title page for the next chapter "Annie and the Fire": "Let's see what this is all about." Yes, please.

Also, the thumbnail for this chapter:
Looks "characters sit down and talk poo poo out"-ey to me. Maybe.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ditocoaf posted:

Annie's gonna drink a whole bottle of whiskey and go on a rampage.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ditocoaf posted:

Author comment for today's page, the title page for the next chapter "Annie and the Fire": "Let's see what this is all about." Yes, please.

Yeah, because we found out so much about that chair last chapter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

I will eat a hat if that is what is happening.

We should have seen today's page coming considering Monday's.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 1, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope this chapter provides some answers, the last two have been awesome but essentially boiled down to punching the reader in the face, repeatedly :(

The title is fun to interpret though. Is Annie playing with fire or overcoming her inner fears?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Oh good, a Paz and Kat focused chapter

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Clearly "the fire" is a reference to the Court's annual chili cook-off. :ssj:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Please be a happy fun chapter.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Please be a happy fun chapter.
:cawg:

It's either about how Tony ripped half of his daughter's soul out, or how Annie did it to herself because it seemed like a good idea at a time.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
It's just going to be Annie being an arsonist. Not even using any sort of powers, just gasoline and matches, or some other materials like a broken gas pipe and one of those coil things you burn to keep mosquitoes away.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's going to be one of those chapters without Annie at all. :unsmigghh:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Azran posted:

Holy poo poo this page :3:

Also I'm really glad Tom is getting almost $6k through his Patreon.

Wow really? Good for him. Finally a Patreon story that doesn't make me mad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

this chapter will be about firannie going on a nice vacation to fun city

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's either really mad or concentrating really hard.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Fun fun fun

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh, it's now a fire-powered Jeanne-wraith. loving splendid.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Ah, The separation research has hit a head..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fire Anni doesn't look to happy, but she also doesn't seem to have much in the way of selfcontrol. Why else would she obey fleshy Antimoni despite looking pretty angry.