Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The all white reverse retro kit was a big hit with everyone. I even have a pair of kinda matching white gloves and was able to get an amazon delivery of a tinted visor in time to swap it for my clear visor on my helmet. I’d kill for some late 90s white Nike skates.

C league all played together against a B league team and we didn’t lose! 1-1 tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Beginner C League I'm in matches teams to play every week, 1&2 v 3&4, 1&3 v 2&4, etc, so there's no offical jerseys. Just bring a dark and a white and (usually) find out which to wear when you arrive. I know for sure that my team is wearing white tomorrow, and the sweater finally arrived in the mail today:

drat, that's hot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sick jersey. Reminds me that I want to get a Minneapolis stars jersey at some point cuz mighty ducks. But at that point I might as well get a classic ducks jersey

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Haha, we won our 5th of 6 playoff games (double elimination) tonight while the Kraken were doing it to Colorado too. I had a goal and assist and we have a rematch tomorrow for the whole prize, so much fun!

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Wow, okay. So my team is second in the league (at Crossover). Like...this is such a 180 from playing at The Pond (out of two seasons, my teams won 2 maybe 3 games TOTAL). This league is really C2 (okay. more C2 than The Pond) and I am actually improving. This is awesome. I drop almost all the time now. I'm making better stops. My brain and body still aren't in sync (Brains: "hey the puck is over there." Body: "huh. OH RIGHT!") but I know what to improve on. I'm pretty excited. YAY!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Hockey is so much fun especially when you notice you've improved on something and more options open because of it.

We lost our championship rematch though 5-6. It was one of the most complete games we've played as a team all year, and the other team just honestly had a couple shots hit top corners that even they weren't expecting to hit. I smashed a one timer from the low slot past the goalie that felt wonderful too. I finished the playoffs with 4 goals and 3 assists too, so now I'm going to expect scoring contribution from myself most weeks going forward in this league.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I was thinking, pro shop has a Crosby stick which I want to try since it’s close to the curve of my wood stick (Sherwood PP09). But it’s at 100 flex which I can’t reliably flex yet (see: wood stick). Should I just get it and hope to grow into it later? Or just go with something like hockey stick man to get a lower flex and similar stick that I can already use now and then get the Crosby stick next year (assuming they’ll have it next year)? I've been hitting the gym again and should regain much of my old upper body strength back so I'm confident over time that I'll be able to use it properly in the next year or two, but I think it's mostly a case of FOMO if they ever stop producing similar sticks.

I've looked at pure hockey and everywhere else and haven't been able to see similar patterns - it's just not in vogue having a barely curved stick with a closed face anymore. The hockey stick man blade 3 is mostly similar, but looks to be more open and curved. But I really like the ease of passing and backhand shots the 09 allows me to do more than the ease of lifting the puck with the P29.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 4, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Check the P88 curve, I’ve got no problems with it on the backhand and it’s got a pretty gentle curve.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don’t use a 100 flex stick. Go get something around 70-75 with a P92/P29 curve.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chemmy posted:

Don’t use a 100 flex stick. Go get something around 70-75 with a P92/P29 curve.

I have a friend that orders sticks with higher flex than 100, but he's 6'6" and is a big dude. When he lays into it the stick bends. I would have the hardest time using that thing, but I give up 7" and a hundred pounds. So if you're a really big and tall person than 100+ might be great for you if you know how to use it. But there's a reason most of the sticks on the rack at the store are 70-85 flex.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

So I was thinking, pro shop has a Crosby stick which I want to try since it’s close to the curve of my wood stick (Sherwood PP09). But it’s at 100 flex which I can’t reliably flex yet (see: wood stick). Should I just get it and hope to grow into it later? Or just go with something like hockey stick man to get a lower flex and similar stick that I can already use now and then get the Crosby stick next year (assuming they’ll have it next year)? I've been hitting the gym again and should regain much of my old upper body strength back so I'm confident over time that I'll be able to use it properly in the next year or two, but I think it's mostly a case of FOMO if they ever stop producing similar sticks.

I've looked at pure hockey and everywhere else and haven't been able to see similar patterns - it's just not in vogue having a barely curved stick with a closed face anymore. The hockey stick man blade 3 is mostly similar, but looks to be more open and curved. But I really like the ease of passing and backhand shots the 09 allows me to do more than the ease of lifting the puck with the P29.

I once walked into the local pure hockey and they had about 10 Dropkick Murphys branded sticks. I laughed and figured maybe I’d grab them the next time and I haven’t seen them since and always regretted it. Moral of the story, if you see a stick that you think is wicked cool, take the shot if you can afford it. It’s beer league, let the radness of the stick make up for the lack of skill.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

V for Vegans posted:

I once walked into the local pure hockey and they had about 10 Dropkick Murphys branded sticks. I laughed and figured maybe I’d grab them the next time and I haven’t seen them since and always regretted it. Moral of the story, if you see a stick that you think is wicked cool, take the shot if you can afford it. It’s beer league, let the radness of the stick make up for the lack of skill.

Yeah, I ended up getting it as well as ordered the similar lower flex stick. This is Crosby's stick which is a reckoner with a sick alien green color and neat little diamond patterns that change when you angle the stick.

I'll keep my wooden one as well for continuing practice and for playing center, cuz it seems like face off stick battles are rough. Right now I'm trying them with longer shafts cuz I've been enjoying D, and I can always get it cut down later.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have something like this? https://conwayandbanks.com/products/conwaybanksorganizer

Seems like something that you can buy a generic version of that is much cheaper, but I don't know what to look for. My bag takes me a while to put back after practice and it's because things are always falling around inside until I get my pants and chest off to provide some structure to the rest of the bag. Figure something like this would help speed up teardown time.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I just use one of these that has the sections built in: https://gritinc.net/collections/hockey/products/airbox-hockey-carry-bag?variant=32909979811904

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you buy a big enough bag you don't care about organizing it, just throw it all in and zip it up.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My teammate has a rolling back with all sorts of compartments. Looked wicked convenient and easy but sometimes he gets chirped for it by teens as he walks into the rink and that’s just too scary for me to deal with.

Played my first game post mono last night. It was a fast game and I could feel the time away. Felt like I needed a nap after my second shift. Felt a little pressure on my left side after the game but my spleen seemed fine. Mostly I was worried about one of the chippier players cheap shotting me in the spleen so I just stayed away from them and put my arm over it whenever someone went to shoot the puck.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

If you buy a big enough bag you don't care about organizing it, just throw it all in and zip it up.

Yeah I've been using this bag I got for like $45 for three years now. I've had to replace the strap once, but other than that it's still going strong.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was invited to a C league by the captain of one of my teams. His reason for inviting me is that I'm a well of positivity on the ice/bench/locker room and I give 100% all game forechecking and backchecking. He didn't mention my skating or shooting abilities as reasons though... I wonder why???

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I was invited to a C league by the captain of one of my teams. His reason for inviting me is that I'm a well of positivity on the ice/bench/locker room and I give 100% all game forechecking and backchecking. He didn't mention my skating or shooting abilities as reasons though... I wonder why???

Because he knows you're not there yet, but your other assets make you a welcome addition to a hockey team? And what better way to find out where the holes are in your game than to push it a bit harder?

But more importantly, do you think playing with them would be tons of fun? Because screw it otherwise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone who's fun and plays every shift 100% is infinitely more valuable in beer league.

Well, to a point. You still gotta win games but I assume they already got skaters that score. If they're also fun they'll probably make it their mission to set you up for goals, so you'll also learn a lot.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

You still gotta win games

This is also optional

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RC Cola posted:

H-how many teams are you on? :stare:

xzzy posted:

Yeah I have a big JRZ bag. Problem might be that it’s more high than long. 30”x18”x15”. Everything fits but it bulges out a bit. Seems like senior size but I got it from sideline swap from what looks like a high school team so might actually be a junior size?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 9, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jhet posted:

Because he knows you're not there yet, but your other assets make you a welcome addition to a hockey team? And what better way to find out where the holes are in your game than to push it a bit harder?

But more importantly, do you think playing with them would be tons of fun? Because screw it otherwise.
It's kind of a joke, I have a ton of room to grow and I am one of the best players on our almost beginner league D team. I definitely like playing up though so this should help a ton. But both this captain, and the captain of the last team I was on at this rink are on my new team, so I'm super excited for this.

Chill la Chill posted:

H-how many teams are you on? :stare:
Right now 3, but once the playoffs are over in 2 weeks I'm taking a break from Tuesday because I loving hate playing at Big Bear. The team that everyone hates(blue horse bruisers) that plays Sunday and Tuesday had 2 players suspended last week! Last regular season game with no stakes, first in the league(bruisers) playing the free agent team that hasn't won a game. They got into fights for some reason. When my team played the free agent team we were up 9-0 in the second and stopped shooting and started letting them skate in and take shots. Wild how different my team's mindset is compared to bruisers.
1 of the suspended players hosed up my wrist last season and tore the ligaments in my wife's thumb and broke one of our guy's backs. He's injured a bunch of people on a bunch of teams but the rink owner's daughter is on the team so nothing usually happens.

The point of this is soon I will drop down to 1 team until the winter and then back to 2 teams.
1 tough D league and 1 easier C league.

xzzy posted:

Someone who's fun and plays every shift 100% is infinitely more valuable in beer league.

Well, to a point. You still gotta win games but I assume they already got skaters that score. If they're also fun they'll probably make it their mission to set you up for goals, so you'll also learn a lot.

I do sometimes score, and I am really good at drawing penalties because I tend to intercept the blue line pass between a D pair and get breakaways and get hooked or tripped (jokes on them I usually just shoot into the goalie's chest or miss the net)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TIL the two line pass rule is no longer used in hockey and it's just the offsides bit. Neat!

That explains why people say hockey is much faster now

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You'd think they'd explain the rules in a learn to play class smh, can't believe they expect hockey players to know how to read

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If there's one thing hockey players are great at, it's failing to remember how to do the drill within 3 seconds of having it explained and demonstrated

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If there's one thing hockey players are great at, it's failing to remember how to do the drill within 3 seconds of having it explained and demonstrated

Three seconds? That shits usually out of mind like .3 seconds afterwards. You can actively see the intelligence oozing down their flow.

I decided to punish myself by taking net for a second session-ever-team. Actually a pretty good group of guys (and gal) at least so that eases the edge on it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How dare they expect you to glance through like 90 pages of rule book. If it's too long for coaches, it's definitely too long for the players.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Three seconds? That shits usually out of mind like .3 seconds afterwards. You can actively see the intelligence oozing down their flow.

All the blood is needed by the legs!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
This game has rules?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

V for Vegans posted:

This game has rules?

I broke the number 1 rule: doing a stick and puck right before practice

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I broke the number 1 rule: doing a stick and puck right before practice

That only counts if you do it before playing a game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

My favorite rule that I didn't know about until the middle of a game was when I tried to pass to my teammate right as he was coming out of the penalty box and I guess one foot was still in the box when he touched the puck, which immediately sent him right back into it for 2 more minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a call for "attempted tripping" once.

Never make contact with the guy's legs or skates but I was grumpy he had knocked me down so I swiped my hand towards the puck as he skated off and I guess it looked bad to the ref. It was a pretty stupid thing to do from a personal safety standpoint, deliberately putting my hands near the feet of someone trying to crossover was not super intelligent.

But I'm not sure what section of the rule book that's in.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

I got a call for "attempted tripping" once.

Never make contact with the guy's legs or skates but I was grumpy he had knocked me down so I swiped my hand towards the puck as he skated off and I guess it looked bad to the ref. It was a pretty stupid thing to do from a personal safety standpoint, deliberately putting my hands near the feet of someone trying to crossover was not super intelligent.

But I'm not sure what section of the rule book that's in.

The soccer one.

There’s no attempted tripping or really attempted stick infractions, you actually need to do the thing and impact play in hockey to be called for it.

Injury potential rules will often include attempting to do the thing (fighting, slashing, elbowing). All you need to do is attempt to throw the punch. You might get lucky and all you get is 2 for roughing for these attempts, but it really depends on the circumstances.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I thought hockey equipment should be cheaper during the off-season? Was looking at getting another pair of gloves to cycle through and let my pair dry longer. Looking at more pro stock gloves since I like the shot blocker look and I must’ve gotten lucky with my $75 (also pro stock) pair a couple months ago. All the pro stock I see now are $200 on sideline and $180 on PSH. I remember they were cheaper back then too but $75 was just the cheapest. All new and everything

Looking specifically at true catalyst 9X cuz I saw a good review of them way back. It’s what I have now. Just really weird since pure hockey’s already starting to place their stuff on sale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Generally the lowest prices are just before the next year's gear launches, which should be happening over the next few weeks.

Gear doesn't seem to go for much of a discount anymore, unless you're shopping the clearance inventory.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Lots of teams about to or already having end of season gear sales, so resellers are flush with new pro stock.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I must’ve gotten really lucky with my finds mid-season since I was getting stuff like $70 barely used HP45X pants, gloves mentioned above, and $90 mid grade shoulder pads. And I was thinking the pro stock sales should be happening now so was surprised at the $150+ items. But that might also be because I was checking frequently back then and they still happen now but are quickly snapped up cuz everyone else knows the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Also was wondering for those of you who picked up the game as an adult, how did you learn what systems or strategies to use when you got on a team? There’s no coach so you’re not really directed anywhere and I doubt most teams even have practice time scheduled during stick and pucks.

Do lower level teams just play on vibes?