Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

In attempting to build a simple intranet for our HR person it's been interesting to see how much website construction has changed since back when I was doing this as an actual job in the 1990s. Back then I was mostly hand-coding for HTML 2/3 in GoLive Cyberstudio.

I had a spare Adobe cc license so I installed Dreamweaver cc and HTML 5 is a whole different ballgame. The CSS and Semantic Web side of things is really interesting, as are the functions to allow a single website to auto-conform to various screen sizes and platforms.

I decided to grab a Dreamweaver book in Kindle format and have forced myself to start at the beginning and work my way through it so I don't create some sort of hideous hand-coded/WYSISWYG monstrosity. It's been [b]so nice[/i] to sit here quietly and learn something new that I'm actually using, especially with my perspective from having started with web design in the old days.

I don't know why, but this is a really heartwarming post.

Also, ditch dreamweaver. Check out VS Code, along with CSS Frameworks[ link link ] or full web application frameworks [ link link ] or just front end libraries [ link link ]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

In attempting to build a simple intranet for our HR person it's been interesting to see how much website construction has changed since back when I was doing this as an actual job in the 1990s. Back then I was mostly hand-coding for HTML 2/3 in GoLive Cyberstudio.

I had a spare Adobe cc license so I installed Dreamweaver cc and HTML 5 is a whole different ballgame. The CSS and Semantic Web side of things is really interesting, as are the functions to allow a single website to auto-conform to various screen sizes and platforms.

I decided to grab a Dreamweaver book in Kindle format and have forced myself to start at the beginning and work my way through it so I don't create some sort of hideous hand-coded/WYSISWYG monstrosity. It's been so nice to sit here quietly and learn something new that I'm actually using, especially with my perspective from having started with web design in the old days.

dreamweaver is garbage compared to other stuff that has come out since.

I kind of miss HTML/CSS, when I was in my CS program in college html and CSS was my favorite class.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Recommendations please for a patch management tool which can handle service restarts, or scripting, or just generally allow more graceful management of servers than 'reboot and come back up when you're ready'?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Recommendations please for a patch management tool which can handle service restarts, or scripting, or just generally allow more graceful management of servers than 'reboot and come back up when you're ready'?

This is kind of a vague question. Are you looking for a config management system like Chef where you programmatically define what the correct state of a machine should be (eg. the version of node installed should be 6.10.3)?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No I mean literally patches, like, go forth, patch these 20 Windows boxes because I clicked Patch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use Shavlik, which is expensive, but you can tell it to not reboot, schedule the reboot, all sorts of poo poo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I mean literally patches, like, go forth, patch these 20 Windows boxes because I clicked Patch.

The problem with what you're asking is a lot of things in Windows are dumb and really do require full system reboots to load up the new patched code.

For a nice one-click GUI you could look into using Rundeck to define jobs with the winRM plugin http://rundeck.org/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Today I've been seeing first-hand that commiserating with users over the poor state of a system and working through it to deliver a sub-par product will sometimes earn you as many/more brownie points and respect than just fixing/improving the system before it became an issue in the first place.

I'm not really filing this away as usable information or saying it's at all a good idea for a Plan A, and ultimately this is just another aspect of having decent "people skills", but I'm kind of surprised I'm not hearing more complaints about something.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 19, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Methanar posted:

The problem with what you're asking is a lot of things in Windows are dumb and really do require full system reboots to load up the new patched code.

For a nice one-click GUI you could look into using Rundeck to define jobs with the winRM plugin http://rundeck.org/
No I mean, I know it has to reboot I just want to be able to do MORE than tell it to reboot. I want to reboot 5 servers, then I want to run this command, then I want to reboot 6 servers, then I want to validate that a service is running before rebooting 5 more, etc.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I mean, I know it has to reboot I just want to be able to do MORE than tell it to reboot. I want to reboot 5 servers, then I want to run this command, then I want to reboot 6 servers, then I want to validate that a service is running before rebooting 5 more, etc.

System Center Orchestrator (SCORCH) is the Microsoft way of doing this.

Pretty much the only way to sanely patch clusters right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

System Center Orchestrator (SCORCH) is the Microsoft way of doing this.

Pretty much the only way to sanely patch clusters right now.

Beat me to it. I think its pretty expensive though right?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I honestly can not believe that with all the push towards Powershell I can't just run a bunch of commands to patch my environment short of downloading a 3rd party module from Github.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

We use N-central for patching. It is a whole RMM suite. It handles third party patches, remote access, scripting, and monitoring.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I honestly can not believe that with all the push towards Powershell I can't just run a bunch of commands to patch my environment short of downloading a 3rd party module from Github.

I mean, you could write a PowerShell script to do it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, you could write a PowerShell script to do it.

Patch-Server -Filter * -Restart

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Never used it before (only done automation for windows with Chef) but ansible should do what you want, like in this example:
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/en/patching-windows-servers-ansible/

Another short example patching for WannaCry:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/patching-windows-against-wannacry-ransomware-using-ansible-krishna/

Ansible docs:
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/win_updates_module.html
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/intro_windows.html

It has host inventory file you manage, and you can customize how many servers go in parallel etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well some old bat just tried to get me fired today. Our parent company has this old lady who was employee number 3 when the company started 40 something years ago or whatever as a secretary. She doesn't have an official title at the moment but all she basically does is look for things she doesn't like in the building and demand it be changed. She does this at our company building instead of her own, because the parent company doesn't have the money to have cool things. Whatever, I generally don't have to deal with her in any part of my work.

The issue is that we are expanding our building and we have had a lot of 3rd party vendors do building construction for us. I, a new employee of the company, have also been in this area seen by her installing some network equipment because the rest of the team is busy with poo poo I don't want to do. She has seen me in this area and assumes I am a laborer. Fast forward to today and she walks past me in a hallway and demands I go to the other side of the building and move pallets because and I quote "They look atrocious where they are and we should all know better than to leave it in the middle of the floor." I told her that I don't feel like moving pallets right now and that she probably has me confused with someone else. I introduce myself and she has none of it. She pokes me in the chest with her loving glasses and tells me she knows exactly who I am and that I better move those pallets like she said. I walk away both laughing and angry that this old bag just poked me with her dumb glasses.

The CIO catches up with me later and tells me this old bag yelled at the construction crew to figure out who my boss was only to not get anywhere. Someone from another department stops her, talks to her, and eventually ends up talking to my CIO. Apparently she told him that as an employee here I don't know my place and yada yada yada. She tells him that she wants me gone. He informs her that I am not involved in or in charge of building construction and that I am not be used to move pallets.

I am livid that I just had another employee poke me with anything. We talk and he calms down. I ask him why she is here and why someone doesn't tell her to gently caress off, but apparantly its another weird social dynamic with the elderly owner. Everything else about this job is borderline loving luxurious but this weird poo poo is taking me for a loop.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Have you seriously not dealt with any politics like that before?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

Have you seriously not dealt with any politics like that before?

Yeah it seems like this could be defused with "you'd have to clear that with my supervisor"

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like she'll probably retire/die soon so I wouldn't stress too much about it?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't take kindly to getting poked with anything and HR would be hearing about it, but it sounds like there's probably not a lot to be done at that psycho factory you've taken employment at.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure Sickening is at the point in his career where he doesn't have to direct people to his supervisor when they ask him to move a pallet. Once you get high enough it's all a bullshit power game and if you don't stand up for yourself people are going to walk all over you.

[Edit: And yeah, I agree with MC Fruit Stripe, physically touching me is going to involve HR, but in this case it sounds like it's best to just shrug and move on or find a new job. Place sounds good otherwise, so I'd just shrug and move on and let crazy old lady be crazy old lady.]

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm pretty sure Sickening is at the point in his career where he doesn't have to direct people to his supervisor when they ask him to move a pallet.

Because telling her "no" worked out so well

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mewse posted:

Because telling her "no" worked out so well

It seemed to work out just fine? Other than her being annoying and aggressively poking him with her glasses. Now everyone that she's talked to know he's not going to be bullied into dumb poo poo because he's a professional who is there to do a job.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't take kindly to getting poked with anything and HR would be hearing about it, but it sounds like there's probably not a lot to be done at that psycho factory you've taken employment at.

I loving hate being poked, I would likely be in a rage after this kind of incident.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You're the guy saying to find a new job because he got poked with some glasses

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No one is telling him to find a new job.

mewse
May 2, 2006

it sounds like it's best to just shrug and move on or find a new job.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I should clarify that were I in that situation, I probably would have done the exact same thing and likewise been very annoyed. But I would probably remind myself that, like I said, she'll probably be gone soon and doesn't matter that much. Especially given that the CIO handled it pretty properly and told her not to bother you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah, I see. So you're one of those people who can't read good.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Can we have one situation go by without devolving into a fight?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No gently caress you fight me irl

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Poke me with your glasses again and see what happens, granny. I will punch you out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull up thread, pull up!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't you live in Vancouver? I probably can't afford to fight you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Don't you live in Vancouver? I probably can't afford to fight you

If the hobos can fight on the street than so can we

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sure we c

CLAM DOWN posted:

Okay, maybe not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If the hobos can fight on the street than so can we

Those hobos make 50k a year.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Those hobos make 50k a year.

So homeless in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

Beat me to it. I think its pretty expensive though right?

I don't think you can buy it ala carte, you have to buy it with the full System Center suite, or at least a part of it that includes Operations Manager and Config Manager.

I mean you totally can do it with Powershell scripts, but it's going to be hacky at best without some sort of runbook solution. I imagine PS DSC, Ansible, Chef, yadda yadda can all accomplish it somehow with enough development.