Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Off the top of my head the only really useful ones would be like.. HP fire on venusaur to deal with stuff like ferrothorn that is otherwise immune to just about anything you can do and is 4x weak to this one specific move

But it's very much a move you put in to deal with one or two very specific threats
When ProtSub Gliscor was making GBS threads all over Gen5 competitive, I was very proud of my HP Ice Infiltrator Chandelure. Loved my spooky lamp. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PMush Perfect posted:

When ProtSub Gliscor was making GBS threads all over Gen5 competitive, I was very proud of my HP Ice Infiltrator Chandelure. Loved my spooky lamp. :3:

Chandelure didn't have Infiltrator in gen V

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I think I may never use the GTS again and just start late night wonder trade gambling. Last night, I got a Shiny bulbasaur, some neat gen iv mons I've never heard of because I'm a noob, and a hacked shiny ditto, all in exchange for some breedjects and virtual console mons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

less laughter posted:

6, sorry. I am very smart.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

less laughter posted:

Nice one! Got him!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RC Cola posted:

Nice one! Got him!

God forbid people know things about a video game. What nerds, am I right?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Bypassing subs is one of those great meta-breaking mechanics that seems to catch lots of people off-guard. It is fun.

And don't worry I know you meant Gen6.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Which ones? Not only was hidden power nerfed to be less necessary the movepools have been widened enough that most Pokémon can do perfectly fine without it.

The big one for me is Magnezone since I have all these Magnemite in cool balls and have been wanting to use them. Porygon-Z was another one but yeah, thinking about that one HP Fighting probably isn't extremely necessary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey all. Have a leaked Evolution I stole from Sugimoro's desk.

His name is apparently 'Paddy Dadoo' but we all know this stuff changes in translation. Probably going to make Drought Pelliper @ Eviolite a real beast.

http://antidevelopment.tumblr.com/post/154488404537/antidevelopment-i-had-a-dream-that-there-was-a

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm looking at this joke and all I can think is "pelipper gets drought?"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dungeon cousin posted:

The big one for me is Magnezone since I have all these Magnemite in cool balls and have been wanting to use them. Porygon-Z was another one but yeah, thinking about that one HP Fighting probably isn't extremely necessary.

Porygon naturally has one of the best special movepools in the game imo

Did it's Z-Conversion gimmick ever take off

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Well, I don't play competitive, but I use a Pory-Z Z-Conversion into Ghost Type with Shadow Ball, because it's fun to turn the Fighting weakness into immunity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm looking at this joke and all I can think is "pelipper gets drought?"

Obviously Paddy Daddo should have Sap Sipper.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Porygon-Z Z-Conversion is pretty awesome. I prefer electric conversion, for the solid one weakness, but I could see Shadow Ball conversion.

also i mistook Drought for Drizzle gently caress you guys :(

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Since I don't understand Porygon at all I might as well ask. But why is it in competitive everyone uses 2 over Z? Is there just a different ability that works better on 2? Even the Battle Tree sticks to 2 most of the time.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Yeah, actually thinking about how to make a set instead of just looking over the ones on Smogon helps me remember what I really wanted to do with one. Also it turns out the Porygon-Z I got off the GTS when completing the dex is Timid with Adaptability and HP Fighting so I could just throw it in Isle Evelup and them give it a Gold Cap if I ever need to use that set.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hrist posted:

Since I don't understand Porygon at all I might as well ask. But why is it in competitive everyone uses 2 over Z? Is there just a different ability that works better on 2? Even the Battle Tree sticks to 2 most of the time.

2 with Eviolite is very tanky while Z is more offense-oriented.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Eviolite Porygon2 is a premiere Trick Room setter iirc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Pory2 is stupid tanky, but it's weak to taunt.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hrist posted:

evolite

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I loving hate eviolite.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eviolite should just give them the stats they would have from their evo if they were at that level. also all non-level evolution methods are gone now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm actually kinda surprised it doesn't do that since all that'd accomplish is letting you bring your bulbasaur or w/e to the e4

e: combine eviolite with everstones and make 2 versions of it; one for the next stage evo and one for the final stage evo. have the first one available in the midgame and the second available in the late game so you can keep your pokemon in their first stage if you want to

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

oddium posted:

eviolite should just give them the stats they would have from their evo if they were at that level. also all non-level evolution methods are gone now

How would that work with split evos.

There are a lot of good and cool evo mechanics. Just throw out trade and trade+item and you're basically good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

for the eeveelutions you would use a stone while eevee is holding an eviolite. and eevee gets the stats of whatever

extended to all stone/item trade things

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What if a kid decides later they do want their monster to evolve?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

At this point it sounds like it would be easier to just allow evolved Pokemon to look like their previous form.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

slowly climbing random doubles. Right now im at 1446. I believe that's close to 'average'?

nevermind im losing a fuckton of games because the enemy happens to get good sweepers and then i get a pyukumuku with reflect counter and baton pass

E: 1302 now lmao

Dizz fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 25, 2017

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Dizz posted:

slowly climbing random doubles. Right now im at 1446. I believe that's close to 'average'?

nevermind im losing a fuckton of games because the enemy happens to get good sweepers and then i get a pyukumuku with reflect counter and baton pass

E: 1302 now lmao

I didn't know there was random doubles! That's a much better format!

Apparently I keep winning because I'm "lucky". That's what my opponents tell me at least. /salt

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

What if a kid decides later they do want their monster to evolve?

they'd do the same thing you already do with an everstone

take the item away and level up once. perfect use of a rare candy right there

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just delete Chansey and Eviolite is fine

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I didn't know there was random doubles! That's a much better format!

Apparently I keep winning because I'm "lucky". That's what my opponents tell me at least. /salt

Sometimes you get the dumbest loving movesets.

*throws out umbreon*

It loving has reflect, wish, protect, moonlight

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Or you get a pokemon who doesn't have it's strong STAB moves and just has a support move or some poo poo.

Yeah I really love getting an electric pokemon that only knows volt switch or a bug with only U-Turn

E: Oh they have a fire arceus? I guess to beat it I need to use earthquake on... mega glailie??

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey man U-turn is basically as good as bug moves get anyway outside of megahorn and bug buzz

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Hey man U-turn is basically as good as bug moves get anyway outside of megahorn and bug buzz

It's not that it's weak, but sometimes I need to add some form of pressure and UT isn't gonna do it, nor would I want to switch sometimes.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Leech Life and Pollen Puff too

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I'm impressed with the amount of people that hate eviolite considering there's a grand total of three Pokemon that make good use of it. And if it wasn't for them you just be fighting some other stally tank that will be just as annoying for your team to face.

EDIT: I apparently don't know how to spell eviolite.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 25, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
blissey is a lot less annoying to fight than chansey

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

I'm impressed with the amount of people that hate eviolite considering there's a grand total of three Pokemon that make good use of it. And if it wasn't for them you just be fighting some other stally tank that will be just as annoying for your team to face.

EDIT: I apparently don't know how to spell eviolite.
It's the combination of Eviolite + Recovery that gets absurd. Most of the time, having to trade away your item slot and long-term healing for short-term defenses is a fair trade. Eviolite means no Leftovers/Black Sludge/whatever. But when you've got things with Recover, Soft-Boiled, etc, then it gets stupid. Especially with Natural Cure. Chansey is the perfect storm of bullshit hypertank tactics, and Porygon2 is only slightly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Eviolite is why everybody has Knock Off now.