Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GoutPatrol posted:

You probably are, enjoy your next century of humiliation

God drat if it there's ONE thing my ancestors didn't need it's 1000 years of humiliation!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham posted:

Nuke shanghai pudong.
Seriously.
Going to pudong from the other end of shanghai I could have easily gotten to Taiwan

The funniest part to me is that there's a high-speed maglev line to the airport, but to use it you have to go 2/3s of the way on your own and are already at the edge of the city.

(for people unfamiliar with Shanghai, the maglev starts south of the "11" on the map, while downtown is where the two purple lines intersect west of the river) and yeah this is a map for golf clubs in shanghai for some reason

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Eating or just hanging around while squatting is fine and if it makes your monocle pop off that’s your problem. Slavic/Sino solidarity.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you tear your trousers when you squat is that a Sino-Soviet split?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is homosexuality accepted in China? Really now zilch about that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

1 in 5 people in the world is Chinese. Going by my family it's either Colin, Jun Feng, Jia Xuan, Qichen, or me.

But I think it's Colin.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Only in Chengddu. Why do you think so many of our posters are from there? Spicy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

No lies the gay bar I know in Hong Kong is without fail a great night out

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's fun because you're there (*´ω`*)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

simplefish posted:

1 in 5 people in the world is Chinese. Going by my family it's either Colin, Jun Feng, Jia Xuan, Qichen, or me.

But I think it's Colin.

Well, I mean, the McSweenys are an old and established family.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mike12345 posted:

Not at all. But even here there's been a little progress--there was a new law earlier this year that basically banned any sort of gay content from appearing in media, even mentioning gays was illegal, and the pushback was so strong it was rescinded. My high school students are all pretty okay with gay people and were actually disappointed they never had a gay foreign teacher to be their gay friend, so I think it's going to improve.

It's weird because historically, being gay was fine here. You had to do your filial duty, get married and produce a son, but what you did in your own time was your own business and nobody cared. There's still echoes of that, it's a thing where gay and lesbian couples will make an agreement and the men and women have a sham marriage to make the family shut up, then continue on with their actual relationships.

Chengdu is the gay capital and there are open gay clubs and stuff here, it's marginally more acceptable and it's possible my students are not a representative sample of the next generation's views on things.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hmmm negotiation with chinese characteristics.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

lol possession is 11/10ths of the law in chainar

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Backwards scroll, cursed image.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What was the item? What went wrong?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

mike12345 posted:

I'm semi-knowledgable on this since I am friends with and have banged lots of Chinese gays from my years in Tokyo.

Short answer: No. If your son likes boys the face lost is so much it's very difficult to calculate, requires multiple equations.
Long answer: No, but if the gay person in question is a foreigner, then yeah, that makes sense, they have gays out there. But not here in China.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Recently met a lesbian couple from guangxi and have everyone’s blessing, including all the grandparents!

They don’t care about getting it legally done else where.

When it comes to older people’s attitudes lots of senior executives love hiring gay people - for the wrong reasons.

They will never get married, can focus on their jobs, won’t have kids, and have more disposable income and lower financial burden so there’s no need to give them much of a raise. Just make homosexuals marry the company and have an emotional connection!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Slightly related

Crowd gathers in Sheung Wan to watch two men having sex
https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/crowd-gathers-sheung-wan-watch-two-men-sex/amp/

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everybody likes a good show.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
in other news on hurt feelings about disputed islands

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/18/asia/south-korean-military-drills-disputed-islands-intl/index.html

quote:

In the latter case, Tokyo lodged a formal protest with Seoul about the mango mousse planned for the dinner between the two Korean leaders because the dish featured a map that included the islands.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what's to dispute. Dokdo is Korea.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
do you know

mango mousse is korean confectionery

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Had a friend marry a gay from China. He moved to australia for school and then to Canada. His parents aren't super rich, just "middle class" by chinese standards. Big big extended family, I'm not sure how he had an older brother and younger sister legally but he did, plus tons of uncles and aunts all with kids too. Everyone was totally supportive and happy, he said even his extended family never had a problem with him being gay. But I think the critical thing is that he had a straight older brother who reproduced, as well as his younger sister who married a local rich guy. The middle child being gay and marrying a canadian dude was fine and good. But again, it wasn't just that they tolerated it, they were all extremely pumped for his wedding and seem to genuinely love and support their kids no matter what.

It's always been my impression that China doens't have a strong sense of homophobia like you'd see in parts of the US or middle east, this religious-based homophobia where the mere act is a disgusting sin worthy of death. Instead I think it mostly stems from a sense of family-duty. A man's duty to his family is to marry, have kids, and support them into retirement and for this arrangement to keep reproducing generation after generation. A gay man is bad not because gays are gross, but because it's a selfish abandonment of one's duty to family and society to continue reproducing the traditional family. It's self-indulgence at the expense of one's family line and expectations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Being different is a sin. But being gay doesn't bring about the same kind of murderous, white-hot rage that it does in the west.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My mom immigrated to the US in the 80s from China and she personally thinks being gay is a little weird. But what they do is their business so really that's fine by her.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's my current China situation.

So my current school didn't want to renew my contract, so I got a job in a new school in a tiny town in the same province. This required getting a new Work Permit and Residence Permit etc. And apart from some minor issues, this all went well. This is not about that.

So a couple of weeks ago, I was in Nanping giving my passport to the Immigration people to get my new Residence Permit sticker. They say it will take 15 working days, and then they will post it to me here in Fuzhou via registered post. Cool beans. Yesterday afternoon I get a message from the teacher at my new school saying that she needs a pic of my new residence permit, so could I give her one. I tell her, it's only been 2 weeks, I haven't got my passport yet. She says that she has checked the EMS number and that it arrived and was signed for at the school on the 9th. Fair enough, so I go and check at the school gates. It's not there. I tell the school admin assistant here in Fuzhou, she goes and checks to find it's also not there. The guards deny ever signing for anything.

So this leads us to call EMS, and find the driver/delivery bloke. He said he delivered it, a guard signed, and also that he tried to call me several times at the time of delivery but couldnt get through. (I have no record or memory of any calls or texts). He also says that he was at the school around 9, when the EMS online tracking thing says it was signed for at 11:13 precisely. The school admin wants to check CCTV footage of the school gates and there is no delivery people to be seen around those times.

So what is happening is that the delivery driver will come into the school at some time this morning, we will re-check the footage etc. and they hope it will be resolved. i.e. If we find him delivering it, then we know who has it, if we find he didn't deliver it we know who to blame and get to find it. My feeling is, and I am going to push hard for, if we can't fiond who he delivered it to, then we drag him down to the police and report my passport as stolen, and have him make a statement there, (with CCTV backing us up.) I have no idea what the process, or even worth of doing this is. (I don't have much faith in the Chinese police in tracking down my lost/stolen passport.)

It's my passport. It's kind of important.

In the likely and depressing turn of events that my passport is lost to the ages, I guess I will have to make my way to Guangzhou to the nearest Aus. Embassy and get a new passport. I truly don't know how this will affect my visa/residence permit/work permit situation. Whether it will be a simple stamp and new sticker, or if I have to go through the whole bullshit process again. I also am not sure how I will get said new passport, as my school are kicking me out of my apartment on the 30th, and I don't move to the new school/town until the 10th. (I had booked a hotel here in Fuzhou already, expecting to have my passport in my hands by then). Also I don't know if I can buy train/plane tickets to Guangzhou from Fuzhou without a passport, of if a Guangzhou hotel will let me stay there whilst the Embassy does their business, whilst I don't have a passport. (At Nanping the Immigration woman said the photocopy paper they gave me was good for train tickets within Fujian province, but may or may not be accepted by hotels, and probably not by those outside the province.)

Best of all possible situations, its a EMS driver fuckup, and he miraculously finds the package in teh back of his van and brings it in. But I am not hopeful. Eitherway I will know more later today.

Thank's for listening to my whinge/rant.

edit: Passport update.
It turns out the EMS guy did deliver it, and it was just left on the desk in the guards office. So now we, (the EMS guy, teh security guard and me) are going through the CCTV footage hour by hour to see who took it and when. As of this typing they, (and me when I don't have class), have been sifting through footage for almost 3 hours and it is still on the desk. But considering we can actually see the envelope I am hopeful that eventually we will see where it ends up.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 20, 2018

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I traveled with that paper from Shanghai to Zhejiang province, train and hotel were fine, but this was in 2015 and the rules have become more strict since then. Call the Aus consulate and ask for advice (I hope they're one of the actual helpful consulates) you can't be the first person with this issue, surely.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

caberham posted:

Slightly related

Crowd gathers in Sheung Wan to watch two men having sex
https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/crowd-gathers-sheung-wan-watch-two-men-sex/amp/

The enthusiasm of the crowd makes this way better than the usual kan re nao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOy7aoHwbo

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I bought some tasteful man thongs, and couldn't help but marvel at the tags

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I'm back among the fiveheads. My sublet apartment is really tiny and sucks to cook in, but otherwise I am mostly-fine.
Bangkok sucks, IMO, but it had a lot of food perks and price perks that I lost immediately upon coming here. I will probably go back to BKK later. Shenzhen is alright.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He returns!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ziv Zulander posted:

I bought some tasteful man thongs, and couldn't help but marvel at the tags

Last I checked my body was not 8% spandex. :colbert:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Like a battered wife in a grim reality show, Bajaj returns to take more abuse for our entertainment. Godspeed, happy plunging!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bajaj posted:

I'm back among the fiveheads. My sublet apartment is really tiny and sucks to cook in, but otherwise I am mostly-fine.
Bangkok sucks, IMO, but it had a lot of food perks and price perks that I lost immediately upon coming here. I will probably go back to BKK later. Shenzhen is alright.

She has Jack Ma head.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Baronjutter posted:

It's always been my impression that China doens't have a strong sense of homophobia like you'd see in parts of the US or middle east, this religious-based homophobia where the mere act is a disgusting sin worthy of death. Instead I think it mostly stems from a sense of family-duty. A man's duty to his family is to marry, have kids, and support them into retirement and for this arrangement to keep reproducing generation after generation. A gay man is bad not because gays are gross, but because it's a selfish abandonment of one's duty to family and society to continue reproducing the traditional family. It's self-indulgence at the expense of one's family line and expectations.

Yep I think this is pretty much the situation. No ingrained Christian guilt to fuel a moral outrage. I'm sort-of-dating a guy from Kazakhstan now and last weekend I met his brother and I asked if he or his parents had an issue with his brother being gay, and he said "No because I'm not" and we all shared a hearty laugh. Then he pointed out this like doubled the pressure on him and his girlfriend to marry and have kids already. Whoops.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So simple and convenient!

Edit Round 2!

https://twitter.com/webbhk/status/1009361147110219776?s=19

Imperialist Dog fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 20, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

So simple and convenient!

Requires a transport department login

Can you like screencap and rehost?

In fact it keeps loving my browser with a login popup, please remove link

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Passport/CCTV fuckery update.

Well after hours and hours of looking through the CCTV footage my school has decided that they cant find it. More than that they don't even want to try anymore.

The last it was seen was where they moved it from the middle of the desk to a corner where it was barely visible by the cameras. then a while later some folders get stacked on top of it. A further while later these folders are moved and there is nothing underneath! MAGIC.

I came back from my class to the security camera guys office to ask him what happened, he shrugs and says they can't/won't find it. I get angry and yell at him. (My fault, I know.)

Now my only option is to go to the police, file a report, go to Exit/Entry office get a formal report thing, go to Guangzhou, (there is only one train a day from Fuzhou to Guangzhou) and get a new one. This is saying nothing of getting new work permits/residence permits etc.

Now the school seems reluctant to go to the police. What they have suggested is because the office security camera guy has decided he needs his computer to do things other than help me, they will download the footage from when the envelope was moved to when the blue folders are taken off it, and give it to me to go through on my laptop tonight.

I have told them that if I do not have my passport by the end of the day I am going to the police. (which I kind of have to do. You know legally), and they are still dragging their feet. Saying that if we can find it nobody needs to go to the police etc.

Now optimally I want my passport, with all of its stickers earned through hard won bureacracy, in my hands. But that ship seems to have sailed, and has sailed by the ignorance, laziness, and general China of the security guards at my, otherwise excellent public High School in Fuzhou. So I just want to know where I stand and what I need to do, (even if it is teh long expensive and hassling chore of getting a new Aus. passport whilst in China.)

That's all I have for now. I will obviously know more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Passport/CCTV fuckery update.

Well after hours and hours of looking through the CCTV footage my school has decided that they cant find it. More than that they don't even want to try anymore.

The last it was seen was where they moved it from the middle of the desk to a corner where it was barely visible by the cameras. then a while later some folders get stacked on top of it. A further while later these folders are moved and there is nothing underneath! MAGIC.

I came back from my class to the security camera guys office to ask him what happened, he shrugs and says they can't/won't find it. I get angry and yell at him. (My fault, I know.)

Now my only option is to go to the police, file a report, go to Exit/Entry office get a formal report thing, go to Guangzhou, (there is only one train a day from Fuzhou to Guangzhou) and get a new one. This is saying nothing of getting new work permits/residence permits etc.

Now the school seems reluctant to go to the police. What they have suggested is because the office security camera guy has decided he needs his computer to do things other than help me, they will download the footage from when the envelope was moved to when the blue folders are taken off it, and give it to me to go through on my laptop tonight.

I have told them that if I do not have my passport by the end of the day I am going to the police. (which I kind of have to do. You know legally), and they are still dragging their feet. Saying that if we can find it nobody needs to go to the police etc.

Now optimally I want my passport, with all of its stickers earned through hard won bureacracy, in my hands. But that ship seems to have sailed, and has sailed by the ignorance, laziness, and general China of the security guards at my, otherwise excellent public High School in Fuzhou. So I just want to know where I stand and what I need to do, (even if it is teh long expensive and hassling chore of getting a new Aus. passport whilst in China.)

That's all I have for now. I will obviously know more tomorrow.
That footage is going to get mysteriously and very unfortunately deleted irrecoverably in the process of trying to send it to you, because you are making noises about going to the police (which yeah you have to do). But with footage there's liability for the school and the guard, and without it it's your word agains theirs over who lost the passport

• Locked thread