Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haha, yeah, for you. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Is it just me or does anyone else cringe slightly when they see all these cool self-made wood-working machines made out of wood? I cannot shake the feeling that wood is an organic material as changes with weather and temperature. In my mind I'm converting everything into aluminum and steel, with the exception of sacrificial tables and the likes. (ref: http://woodgears.ca/index.html and the likes)

Is it a non-issue because his work space is indoors and temperature/moisture regulated?

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Iskariot posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe slightly when they see all these cool self-made wood-working machines made out of wood? I cannot shake the feeling that wood is an organic material as changes with weather and temperature. In my mind I'm converting everything into aluminum and steel, with the exception of sacrificial tables and the likes. (ref: http://woodgears.ca/index.html and the likes)

Is it a non-issue because his work space is indoors and temperature/moisture regulated?

Do you have an examples of where wood expansion would cause significant problems in any of his designs? I think it's not an issue because there aren't really any tolerances that are measurably affected. Sure, the dimensions of various parts of the tool might shift in time but it might all do so proportionally right?

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
You may be correct but a lot of his designs have wooden parts where the fibers run at 90 degree angles and the part itself is built with very little tolerance for travel or expansion. Like the tightening piece for the upper wheel in his bandsaw: http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/homemade.html A slight swelling would result in it locking up and maybe even cracking up. If it dries up, you would get slack. Perhaps even as dangerous given the tool.

I was just wondering if it was an issue.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Blake- posted:

I've recently been doing a lot of looking for a decent local blank source.

that blank came from woodheadz.com I've got about 100$ worth of various blanks im probably going to order from him tomorrow.

Unless... I can find a local person on the east coast with nice burl / figured wood blanks

Plug your location into https://www.woodfinder.com
I've found 2 or 3 really great high end lumber yards near me using it.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Closest thing for me on Woodfinder is 224 miles away. Haha.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
http://hardwoodstore.com these guys are pretty close I'll have to check them out before I order stuff

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Blake- posted:

http://hardwoodstore.com these guys are pretty close I'll have to check them out before I order stuff

They have a nice selection but their prices are high. Check out Capital City Lumber if you haven't already.

http://capitolcitylumber.com/

There used to be a small place in Knightdale that had really good prices and some interesting wood but I've forgotten the name. Many years ago I went to a sawmill down around Fuquay that had like a hundred stacks of air dried lumber that was so grey you couldn't tell what most of it was but the guy was willing to make good deals. I didn't buy any because I don't have a jointer and planer. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of that place either. Maybe some googling would find it though.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I made a few more hand planes the other day.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

ChaoticSeven posted:

Closest thing for me on Woodfinder is 224 miles away. Haha.

Where are you in the Ozarks and what are you looking for?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Gorgeous planes, they look super ergonomic.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mds2 posted:

Lee Valley has probably dispatched some hitmen to your door already.

"We can't let people know that these things are not only relatively easy and inexpensive to make, but can also be so gorgeous, as to make ours look like crap! This guy can't be allowed to live. Kill him, burn everything."

(that's a compliment, those are beautiful)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

For any of you other College goons who have woodworking shops. Do you typically have to be enrolled in classes that use these shops? Are they usually open for students? I can't for the life of me find info online about their usage.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

For any of you other College goons who have woodworking shops. Do you typically have to be enrolled in classes that use these shops? Are they usually open for students? I can't for the life of me find info online about their usage.

At our college you just had to take some safety tests and show you wouldn't kill yourself using any of the tools. After that as a student you were free to use the shop.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

Blake- posted:

After trying to stain some furniture from ikea with ebony stain... (tried oil & water based on different projects) I will never do that again.

I'll either use black aniline dye, or black lacquer.

I recently made some picture frames out of fir and used India Ink to give it an ebony like colour. Worked out great. Just have to make sure you let it dry very thoroughly before putting any varnish on.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

mds2 posted:

Awesome, you should do a little build-a-long if you ever get the free time.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ChaoticSeven posted:

Speaking of planes:

Lee Valley has a Cyber Monday sale going on right now and they have 30% off their medium shoulder plane. They're slightly blemished, but at a $60 savings, I'm totally fine with that.

They're $120 and probably won't last long -

http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=68846

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

ChaoticSeven posted:

That could be kind of fun. If I remember I'll do it for the next one, but it will probably be a while.

Anyone know a good place to buy slabs or burl? I need a 24" diameter piece for an end table top.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
The fella that sits next to me at work is a ridiculously talented wood turner and he just finished these three ornaments, decided to show him off to you guys:

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
I've been thinking about trying my hand at ornaments...

Are they solid or hollow ? What did he use to texture the middle & then did he just apply gold leaf?

They are quite nice.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Blake- posted:

I've been thinking about trying my hand at ornaments...

Are they solid or hollow ? What did he use to texture the middle & then did he just apply gold leaf?

They are quite nice.

They are solid cocobolo and ebony, he used a dremel on the middle then gold leafed, yup.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
cocobolo is some incredibly difficult poo poo to turn.

I've got three more blanks I haven't chucked up yet because I haven't got propper face protection or breathing apparatus. When I made this bowl it felt like needles were shooting off my lathe into my arms & the dust is ome of the worst I've ever dealt with.

This is a cocobolo bowl I made:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blake- fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 28, 2011

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Blake- posted:

cocobolo is some incredibly difficult poo poo to turn.

I've got three more blanks I haven't chucked up yet because I haven't got propper face protection or breathing apparatus. When I made this bowl it felt like needles were shooting off my lathe into my arms & the dust is ome of the worst I've ever dealt with.

This is a cocobolo bowl I made:

I love cocobolo. How big is that bowl?

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
She's small... 4" or so

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Blake- posted:

She's small... 4" or so

I never see big pieces around here, not even 4" thick. I love the way it looks but agree with you 100% about working with it. Even sanding it a little makes my eyes and lungs want to die.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Blake- posted:

She's small... 4" or so

That's gigantic for cocobolo as far as I'm concerned. So much money in waste! :emo:

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002

MarshallX posted:

That's gigantic for cocobolo as far as I'm concerned. So much money in waste! :emo:

I got a super deal on eBay i watch teh turning wood section like a hawk and jump on anything that looks neat.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Turning-Wood

Been burned a couple times but usually I get some really nice wood.

I paid about 10bux each for 5x5x3 these mexican cocobolo blanks

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
slowly acquiring tools and I've had the itch to get a SCMS. I don't have any plan on having a table saw, so the scms would be good for cross cuts instead of clamping blocks and using my circular saw. I was looking at 12" saws and the hitachi c12rsh seems to be the least expensive "big" saw available. I was looking at it at lowes. It's a gigantic ugly thing, but the price sits better than the $600 bosch. Anyone use one of these?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_42379-67702...Id=10151&rpp=24

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

MarshallX posted:

The fella that sits next to me at work is a ridiculously talented wood turner and he just finished these three ornaments, decided to show him off to you guys:

Nice, I so need to learn the skew so I can do some fancy bead and cove work.

I really like how this one turned out:

Edit: Yes, I somehow got the roost hole off center.

MasonChumpia
Jun 29, 2004
Oh.

LordOfThePants posted:

Speaking of planes:

Lee Valley has a Cyber Monday sale going on right now and they have 30% off their medium shoulder plane. They're slightly blemished, but at a $60 savings, I'm totally fine with that.

They're $120 and probably won't last long -

http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=68846

Thanks for this. Was going to pick up the shoulder plane as a Christmas gift to myself this year. Looks like it's coming a little early!

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
you should take some pictures of the birdhouses in process...

do you glue them up and then make them or do you assemble after turning?

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I'll try to remember to do that next time I make one. I've been cutting a block of wood as big as my 4 jaw Supernova 2 can bite down on, bringing the tailstock up and turning the shape of the body down. Then I switch to a drill chuck in the tailstock and put a forstner bit in to hollow it out. I hollowed a couple with a scraper but really, the forstner is faster. Then I sand it, throw on whatever finish if any and part it off. Repeat for the top. The top is kinda sorta hollowed out, large enough for a friction fit with the body.

I've beal buffed a couple, did blo on one and this latest one had a few coats of really thin shellac.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

god dammit all. someone on CL was selling their dewalt DW718 for $375cdn. missed it by a hair. so frustrated!! can anyone advise on a good alternate? I'm hoping to keep it under $400 for a used slider, 12" would have been great but 10" will probably do... not really sure what the best legacy tools are for sliding chop saws.

edit: as another poster asked, is hitachi any good? I found one that looks decent, but it's 5 years old and had the motor replaced two years ago. just wondering if I'm buying a soon-to-be paperweight. the manufacturer's warranty is 5 yrs which is why i'm guessing it's being sold? sold to someone for $250. drat. but there's a 10" that's cheaper so I'm still wondering if Hitachi is reliable - amazon reviews have it seemingly high-rated, the 10" is much higher rated than the 12". woodworking forums seems to complain about it a lot but sing the praises of the Makita LS1013.

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 29, 2011

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
those would be fantastic on a Christmas tree

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

god dammit all. someone on CL was selling their dewalt DW718 for $375cdn. missed it by a hair. so frustrated!! can anyone advise on a good alternate? I'm hoping to keep it under $400 for a used slider, 12" would have been great but 10" will probably do... not really sure what the best legacy tools are for sliding chop saws.

edit: as another poster asked, is hitachi any good? I found one that looks decent, but it's 5 years old and had the motor replaced two years ago. just wondering if I'm buying a soon-to-be paperweight. the manufacturer's warranty is 5 yrs which is why i'm guessing it's being sold? sold to someone for $250. drat. but there's a 10" that's cheaper so I'm still wondering if Hitachi is reliable - amazon reviews have it seemingly high-rated, the 10" is much higher rated than the 12". woodworking forums seems to complain about it a lot but sing the praises of the Makita LS1013.

I bought a DW718 for US$400 from Home Depot on Black Friday. So far I've made about 100 cuts with it, and I can say that the sliding motion is straight in relation to the blade, and the setup is really easy. My problem with it is that the blade has a solid 1/8" vertical play depending on your force when you are pushing it back. This is a huge problem when making beveled cuts or partial depth cuts. When you're looking at a used saw, pull down the stop tab and see how much flex your blade has in the fully extended position.

It's usable, and I am still really stoked about owning it, but it is imperfect.

Wood magazine just had a big writeup comparing 10" sliders. Makita and Bosch was their favorites.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The 2 lumber suppliers around Wake Co. I was trying to remember are
East Wake Hardwoods (out of business) and

TE Johnson Lumber Co
3872 Old School Rd
Four Oaks, NC,
27524-8675
Phone:919-963-2233
http://goodsfromwoods.com/

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

iwannabebobdylan posted:

Wood magazine just had a big writeup comparing 10" sliders. Makita and Bosch was their favorites.

Cool, thanks for the tip! I Found a like-new Makita LS1013 for sale near me - it's a bit high for a discontinued model but I'm hoping to talk the guy down (if it isn't sold, that is...)

I don't know if anyone here likes Fine Woodworking, but if you do, I have found a workaround for getting their articles free of charge... I don't want to subscribe just yet so I tried a bunch of tactics until this one worked.

Find a random article, and copy its title with the word "PDF" into google. This article for example, would get this link. The second link in the search result is to the PDF. Click on "Quick View" instead of the PDF link itself, and you'll get the full article - then either Print to PDF or save it ("download original" won't work). Voila!

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Everybody turning in this thread should Pick up Ellsworth on Turning. I've read it cover to cover 3 times in the last two weeks or so and it has helped me a ton. He's a total hippie and there is a whole section where he shows anti-fatigue stretches on his shop floor which is amazing/ridiculous at the same time but there really is a ton of really amazing information that is well laid out and easy to grab onto.

I've read a bunch of turning books since I've been mostly figuring it out as I go along until recently and it's by far the most helpful book I've read by a wide margin.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
Turning fatigue is no laughing matter! Though I suspect watching someone do lunges to avoid it is amusing ;)

After spending a full day in front of the lathe I'm worn out (happy, but worn out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I was fine tuning some 1/8" inlay on the drum sander today and it shot back out and hit me square in the balls. Most painful injury in the shop so far.

Anyone ever sharpen a bowl gouge 3 times in succession trying to figure out why it wasn't cutting, only to finally have the forward/reverse switch catch your eye? Cause I did. After getting shot in the balls.