Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

HappyHelmet posted:

Suspension is too hard. Though I found last night if I sit farther back its not so bad... so I guess maybe I was sitting too far forward on it.

What's hard, the front or the back ?

You could always swap the fork oil for a little bit thinner oil, the back would most likely require new shocks, but maybe you can find some softer springs to replace on your shocks if money is an issue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Primo Itch posted:

What's hard, the front or the back ?

You could always swap the fork oil for a little bit thinner oil, the back would most likely require new shocks, but maybe you can find some softer springs to replace on your shocks if money is an issue...

Mostly on the back end of the bike. I did some more riding around today, and I think the problem was definitely my riding position. Its a much smoother ride when I move my butt back a bit.

Also just got back from the shop and it was indeed a faulty regulator that was causing the problems. Hopefully that will be the end of that.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010
My bike since 2004, a '99 Kawasaki ZR-7

I've thrown a small wind/bug shield on it since that picture to make it more comfortable for highway riding and replaced the crappy aftermarket mirrors with some bar end mirrors that came off of a friend's K-bike craigslist find.

This bike has been my first street bike and being a 750cc it has always had power to spare and has grown with me well, mellow at lower rpms but hiding a beast up near redline. I'd eventually like to upgrade to a Ducati Monster or Triumph Speed Triple but I'll save that for when I'm living somewhere with a longer riding season than ND.

The company I work for has been prodding me to move down to CA (SF) where they are, having such nice riding weather year round is making it very tempting...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't do it, everything about CA sucks. Especially awesome weather, year round, multiple tracks within 2 hours of you, a huge motorcycling community, and great roads.

(Things that actually suck about CA: Cost of living, and cost of property. Occasionally insane government, but usually in a hilariously ineffective sort of way.)

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010
You're right, that does all sound horrible. Especially the great weather and roads.

I've spent enough time in the bay area to be both totally enamored and wary. The office is in the financial district so it's either selling my house to spend twice my monthly mortgage payment on a crappy one bedroom apartment in the city or alternatively I can move somewhere in the greater bay area and deal with an insane commute every day.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My GIRLFRIEND always tries to use motorcycling as leverage to try to get us to move to California :(

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Interrupt posted:

You're right, that does all sound horrible. Especially the great weather and roads.

I've spent enough time in the bay area to be both totally enamored and wary. The office is in the financial district so it's either selling my house to spend twice my monthly mortgage payment on a crappy one bedroom apartment in the city or alternatively I can move somewhere in the greater bay area and deal with an insane commute every day.

Just move to Petaluma or San Rafael and drive in, thats what my friend and his wife does.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Interrupt posted:

Live in the city, there are tons of sweet apartments and you'll be closer to all the best things the region has to offer for the times when you're not on your motorcycle.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Old and busted...

New Hotness

Traded the 02 YZ 426, my first ever dirtbike for an 04 CR 125R. The CR will become my Arena Cross and Motocross bike. I am going to completely build up the CR over the course of the year, porting, high compression, the works all done by my own hand with the guidance of my boss, who has been building dirt bikes since before they existed. If I can find reasonably priced dyno time, I might do a before and after. Might put together a build thread.

Two hours after I got it, it was in the shop being stripped. This picture is actually after I put the swingarm back on after greasing the bearings. Tomorrow I order new springs, topend, pipe, starting device.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should totally do a thread. Firstly because more threads are always good, and secondly because long term they end up being a little piece of history for you. I still go back and read old threads sometimes, stirs up good memories :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

epix posted:

Scored this off craigslist and was delivered today.

95 Honda XR650L dual-sport

FMF Exhaust
Clarke 4.7 Gallon Tank
Jetted
K&N Filter

To do:
new chain, sprockets, tires, signals, led tail light, lowering link.

It's like a fat girlfriend, fun to ride but you dont brag to your mates about its looks.

----------------

got a little bored and went for a ride up Mt Gravatt.

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/bdd23136a59a606af3605c3d7ad6c19fcca31862/[Group 1]-IMG_0015_IMG_0020-6 images.jpg[/timg]

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up this 1975 Yamaha DT175 today. Stole it for $450. It doesn't seem to need much. It just needs the tanks and carb cleaned out, new front brake lever, mirrors, Turn signals (not sure if they're mandatory in WA) and chain lubed/replaced.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

NinjaTech posted:

I picked up this 1975 Yamaha DT175 today. Stole it for $450. It doesn't seem to need much. It just needs the tanks and carb cleaned out, new front brake lever, mirrors, Turn signals (not sure if they're mandatory in WA) and chain lubed/replaced.

Very clean. Very cool. I need to find an old enduro.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yeah, it's got some spots here and there that need a little attention but I'd say it's a 5-10 footer. I was kind of put onto the idea of a classic enduro/dual sport by one of my friends getting a free 73 yamaha DT3 from his work. If he can get his licensed and running well, we're planning on exploring the Olympic national forest.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Gweenz posted:

My rides:

1988 Honda Hawk GT

What turn signals and mirrors do you have on it? My black one's getting some preseason love in the form of forks, 520 chain, and sprockets, and I'd kinda like to clean up the lighting and mirrors a little beforehand too.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Kommando posted:

Good to see you've bought yourself some proper gear to guard against future unnecessary injuries! :v:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Good to see you've bought yourself some proper gear to guard against future unnecessary injuries! :v:

yeah well, 5 weeks off work without pay kinda restricts your ability to buy gear. for now im going with lesson learned and not grabbing the front brake like a retard choking a bird.
also its loving hot here in brisbane.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

I also just bought one of these; for $350. Mine needs very little, and it goes well with my 1979 DT 175.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Choom Gangster posted:

I also just bought one of these; for $350. Mine needs very little, and it goes well with my 1979 DT 175.

awesome! Do you know how to check if the autolube works? The guy I got it from just premixed it, but it seems to have all the parts for the autolube system. You wouldn't happen to be in washington would you?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
babby's first bike

93 Honda Nighthawk 250. I've had it for a week and I've almost been hit twice already. Phoenix drivers :arghfist::mad:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Finally back on a bike, after an involuntary 3 year break :)

1992 DR350. Other than the fork boots and a slightly worn front tire, she's in great shape, and not as hard to start as some led me to believe.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

2011 Ducati 848 Evo @ 30 miles. It's my first new bike, with no one else's problems, an actual warranty, and full coverage insurance. It seemed like the best choice for me. Great power/torque, fantastic brakes, and crazy red wheels. It was between this and a "big 4" liter bike. The 1198 was too much money and too much bike for my needs. Even under 6k rpm (for break in) it's loads faster than the Buell XB9S I sold last week.

It's got a 2yr unlimited mile warranty and 2yr road side assistance. If anyone needs a motorcycle in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, Battley Cycles was awesome.

I'm beside myself with excitement. We'll see what world of hurt I've unleashed on myself.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

TheLarson posted:

2011 Ducati 848 Evo @ 30 miles. It's my first new bike, with no one else's problems, an actual warranty, and full coverage insurance. It seemed like the best choice for me. Great power/torque, fantastic brakes, and crazy red wheels. It was between this and a "big 4" liter bike. The 1198 was too much money and too much bike for my needs. Even under 6k rpm (for break in) it's loads faster than the Buell XB9S I sold last week.

It's got a 2yr unlimited mile warranty and 2yr road side assistance. If anyone needs a motorcycle in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, Battley Cycles was awesome.

I'm beside myself with excitement. We'll see what world of hurt I've unleashed on myself.

That thing is sexy as hell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You bastard, I was in Ducati today drooling over one of those :)

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

TheLarson posted:

Did you haggle at all? I was looking at bikes in Battleys the other day...want to know if they have any wiggle.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

on the color. Gorgeous bike, congratulations!

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

schreibs posted:

Did you haggle at all? I was looking at bikes in Battleys the other day...want to know if they have any wiggle.

On the Ducatis, the best you can do is wiggle on the financing. I went through 3 dealerships looking for a white one, and they're immobile on the price. I put a little less than half down and managed to shave a few points off the interest rate.

According to everyone I spoke to, these bikes "sell themselves". :(

Gweenz posted:

on the color. Gorgeous bike, congratulations!

I was a bit hesitant on the red wheels considering the original 848 came with black ones. Now that it's in my garage I can't help but love it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

TheLarson posted:

One of the best looking bikes, in my favorite color combination. Very cool. Post some more pictures.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Mcqueen posted:

One of the best looking bikes, in my favorite color combination. Very cool. Post some more pictures.
Click for big. I'm trying not to cock up this thread with too many huge pics.

It's raining today, but I'll be damned if I'm not riding this thing to work Monday. My car was booted out of the garage to make way. The orange Fit belongs to my roommate.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

My god, that it the best looking sportbike. Best colour combination too, if you ask me.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Picked up a 82 CB900C.

Crazy 80's 5 speed with high low range.

15k miles and air shocks that might get removed for some standard ones and a set of progressive for the front fork might be in order.

Piss poring the rain and snow today so I will take some non cell phone pictures the next time I can get it out in the sun.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

evilnissan posted:

Picked up a 82 CB900C.

Crazy 80's 5 speed with high low range.

15k miles and air shocks that might get removed for some standard ones and a set of progressive for the front fork might be in order.

Piss poring the rain and snow today so I will take some non cell phone pictures the next time I can get it out in the sun.

I've had the pleasure of riding one of those. Those crazy Japanese must have thought that Americans love shifting! (10 fracking gears!!!)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheLarson posted:

Click for big. I'm trying not to cock up this thread with too many huge pics.

It's raining today, but I'll be damned if I'm not riding this thing to work Monday. My car was booted out of the garage to make way. The orange Fit belongs to my roommate.

Cock it up all you want.. Got a chance to see one of these matte white 848s this weekend and holy poo poo.. looks so slick.

Conrgats on a beautiful machine.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Sorry CA for fulfilling the goon stereotype but I went ahead and ignored your advice and bought a over-engineered super complicated waste of money Honda.

I'm excited to wrench on it this spring and summer. Going to be cleaning carbs and replacing the chain as soon as I get it back to Chicago.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 8, 2011

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
My first bike, a 2006 Honda Rebel 250. Basically fell into my lap for $600

She has taken me everywhere so far. Lovin it. :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crayvex posted:

I've had the pleasure of riding one of those. Those crazy Japanese must have thought that Americans love shifting! (10 fracking gears!!!)

So it had a low range so you could cruise really slowly past plate glass windows while making a lot of noise?

Seriously?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Crayvex posted:

What's the purpose of having so many gears? Are there like 4 extra super tall gears for highway cruising over the standard 6 (or possibly 5 for that era)?

edit: oh I see there's a hi/low for each gear. Still don't really see the point. Are you supposed to shift ten times from first to ten, or can you just do it 5 reasonably smooth?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I thought my CB360's 6 speed was too many...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
And here I thought the KLRs were supposed to be the tractor bikes. The last thing I drove with a gear splitter was a flatbed tow truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

hayden. posted:

What's the purpose of having so many gears? Are there like 4 extra super tall gears for highway cruising over the standard 6 (or possibly 5 for that era)?

edit: oh I see there's a hi/low for each gear. Still don't really see the point. Are you supposed to shift ten times from first to ten, or can you just do it 5 reasonably smooth?

Well if the weather holds out for this weekend and all my parts I ordered show up I will let you know.

From what I have read you use low for in town and spirited riding and pop it in high for the open road and fuel mileage.

If it work the way I think its does I think most riding would work like this.

L1-L2-L3-H3-H4-H5

PO did tell me that H1 is a little to tall to start out in from a dead stop.

Info

quote:

What Honda's engineers did to resolve their right-to-left dilemma was to cobble together some transfer gears, a jack-shaft and right-angle bevel drive in a housing that wraps around the left side and rear of the main transmission case but is not inseparably a part of it. They also doubled-up the transfer gears, which occupy space originally taken by a sprocket, and added a shifting dog, etc., to give the CB900 a two-speed secondary transmission. And although the entire exercise was prompted by cost considerations they did not stint in building reliability into their cross-over drive unit. It is a very strongly constructed piece of equipment, with its own oil supply and a small trochoidal pump to keep its bevel gears lubricated; splash oiling takes care of the transfer gears.

quote:

You can get economy, both in fuel mileage and engine life, by using the Select Range's high gear for cruising. In fifth/low the CB900's engine spins 4378 rpm at 60 mph; in fifth/high it turns only 3745 rpm, and feels like it's idling. There's a dramatic difference in fuel economy, too, which hints that the power engines need merely to overcome their own friction is significant. We rode the CB900 on a long loop around this area's freeways, first in fifth/low and then in fifth/high. Low-range riding returned 41.8 mpg; in high the mileage rose to 48.6 mpg. Using low-range for a period of maximum-effort performance and handling testing brought the CB900's mileage down to 28.5 mpg, and the overall average for the entire test was 37.2 mpg. That fuel consumption rate would give the Honda 164 miles before its 4.4-gallon tank empties, but running at a steady 60 mph would stretch the range to 184 miles if you keep it in granny, or 214 miles if you use the overdrive.

From here.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/honda/honda_cb900c%2082.htm