Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
ITT: would noobs, wound snobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

ITT: would noobs, wound snobs

If we could only have rubbed salt in the wounds of BackPanther. :qq:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Blood or clear fluid out the ears/nose is the real tell-tale sign. Major brain trauma. The ragged breathing thing too. You'll know it when you hear it.

My friend fell out of a crane, about 16ft, head first down on the drawbar on his truck. Cracked his skull right open, stopped breathing twice in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, and for about three months afterwards he had clear fluid seeping out into his right ear (which also suffered permanent loss of hearing).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

If we could only have rubbed salt in the wounds of BackPanther. :qq:

You need lasers to remove tattoos.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wound. Wound noobs.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

A++ would noob again.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

You should always season your hamburger meat/wound liberally.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What's more weird, salting your wounds or not having salt in your house and deciding the correct course of action is to go steal it from the closest restaurant.?

Are you not familiar with the meaning of 'rub salt in the wound'?

That's not a saying about how to make your boo-boos feel better you know...

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
When I get rashed up I take a orbital sander to it and wash it out with brake parts cleaner. No big deal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I just put the affected body parts in the microwave for a bit

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Hey remember the 90's?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

HNasty posted:

When I get rashed up I take a orbital sander to it and wash it out with brake parts cleaner. No big deal.

I've seen my (now) 65-year-old uncle disinfect a literally bone-deep finger cut by dipping the digit in kerosene, then wrap it with a paper towel and duct tape and get back to work.

The older generation is tough.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tough is a word. So is ignorant.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Not gonna argue the point. It's also true.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Had my first get-off on Friday morning.

On my usual morning commute to work and approached this "intersection" of sorts.

A car blasted through the intersection, I grabbed some brake and the front end washed out. I was only going about 35 mph before I went down. The first thing that came to my mind was to get off the bike and tell the dude to look where the gently caress he is going. I was pretty upset. He asked if I was ok and when I said I was fine, he slammed the door and sped off. Some passerby's also asked if I was alright and one guy helped me pick the bike up.

The bike was OK, just a busted shifter lever, broken frame slider, scuffed handlebar, and a scratched front fairing. I rode the bike home about a mile and a half in first gear.

As far as me, I was in my commuting gear, so First Gear HT overpants, Sidi Vertigo boots, A* textile jacket, basic leather insulated gloves and my helmet. I braced myself with my hands when I hit the ground and put some significant strain on my wrists. I went ahead and made an appointment and got them x-ray'ed just to be sure I didn't fracture one of them as they were pretty difficult to move. Otherwise I was ok. I noticed later that my visor was cracked, which is probably because I was riding with it cracked. The helmet didn't make contact with the ground as far as I can tell.

Verdict on the 'crash': Could have been avoided. I was pretty exhausted that morning and not even thinking about riding to work. If I had been more alert to the situation and my surroundings, I could have veered to the left rather than just applying the brakes. I do recall there being water on the road near that spot (leaky fountain), which could be why the bike went down so easily.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Had my first get-off on Friday morning.

On my usual morning commute to work and approached this "intersection" of sorts.

A car blasted through the intersection, I grabbed some brake and the front end washed out. I was only going about 35 mph before I went down. The first thing that came to my mind was to get off the bike and tell the dude to look where the gently caress he is going. I was pretty upset. He asked if I was ok and when I said I was fine, he slammed the door and sped off. Some passerby's also asked if I was alright and one guy helped me pick the bike up.

The bike was OK, just a busted shifter lever, broken frame slider, scuffed handlebar, and a scratched front fairing. I rode the bike home about a mile and a half in first gear.

As far as me, I was in my commuting gear, so First Gear HT overpants, Sidi Vertigo boots, A* textile jacket, basic leather insulated gloves and my helmet. I braced myself with my hands when I hit the ground and put some significant strain on my wrists. I went ahead and made an appointment and got them x-ray'ed just to be sure I didn't fracture one of them as they were pretty difficult to move. Otherwise I was ok. I noticed later that my visor was cracked, which is probably because I was riding with it cracked. The helmet didn't make contact with the ground as far as I can tell.

Verdict on the 'crash': Could have been avoided. I was pretty exhausted that morning and not even thinking about riding to work. If I had been more alert to the situation and my surroundings, I could have veered to the left rather than just applying the brakes. I do recall there being water on the road near that spot (leaky fountain), which could be why the bike went down so easily.

If by "cracked" you mean your visor has a crack in it, then yeah, your helmet almost certainly hit the ground. A lot of poo poo happens to you in a crash that if it didn't hurt after, you probably wouldn't remember it because it all happened at once.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

If by "cracked" you mean your visor has a crack in it, then yeah, your helmet almost certainly hit the ground. A lot of poo poo happens to you in a crash that if it didn't hurt after, you probably wouldn't remember it because it all happened at once.

Can confirm this. My last wreck was basically the exact same thing and upon close examination of the helmet there were tiny scratches and a bit of a dent in the foam inside. You may have bounced it off the ground and not noticed, because it did its job successfully.

Also in mine I got her insurance info and they paid (6 months later after losing in the subrogation process to the 800 lb gorilla of State Farm).

Thats also why I'll probably never buy a bike without ABS again.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Can confirm this. My last wreck was basically the exact same thing and upon close examination of the helmet there were tiny scratches and a bit of a dent in the foam inside. You may have bounced it off the ground and not noticed, because it did its job successfully.

Also in mine I got her insurance info and they paid (6 months later after losing in the subrogation process to the 800 lb gorilla of State Farm).

Thats also why I'll probably never buy a bike without ABS again.

This is a stupid line of reasoning; lots of people are able to stop on a bike in a hurry and not fall. Just getting bikes with ABS doesn't fix the problem. Especially seeing as 35mph isn't exactly a blistering speed to stop from.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Slavvy posted:

This is a stupid line of reasoning; lots of people are able to stop on a bike in a hurry and not fall. Just getting bikes with ABS doesn't fix the problem. Especially seeing as 35mph isn't exactly a blistering speed to stop from.

There's nothing wrong with bikes that don't have ABS, but decent ABS is a good thing to have on a commuter. KTM basically took the stance of 'gently caress nannies' until a system came out that they felt didn't hinder the performance of the bike. This isn't a bad thing. These are things you can turn off on most bikes when the need warrants, but cruising at 35 when a dumb rear end pulls out in front of you is a good time to have a bike that won't turtle you when you grab a poo poo ton of oh gently caress front brake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never done that, so I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Even in the most unexpected scenarios, cars seem to move in slow-motion and I always have ample time to apply the brakes and avoid hitting the car or lowsiding. This has been the case both on bikes with extremely strong brakes and ones with terrible, barely working single-disc brakes.

It seems dumb to me to rule out buying the overwhelming majority of bikes because they don't have ABS.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Terminus Est posted:

There's nothing wrong with bikes that don't have ABS, but decent ABS is a good thing to have on a commuter. KTM basically took the stance of 'gently caress nannies' until a system came out that they felt didn't hinder the performance of the bike. This isn't a bad thing. These are things you can turn off on most bikes when the need warrants, but cruising at 35 when a dumb rear end pulls out in front of you is a good time to have a bike that won't turtle you when you grab a poo poo ton of oh gently caress front brake.

If you aren't doing braking exercises either way you're going to be poo poo outta luck. I'v enever had ABS on a bike and I can totally see how it might be useful, but if you mash the front brake thinking ABS will save you then you aren't going to be saved.

Drill.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I've never owned a bike with ABS. My experiences are pretty similar to yours. I still think modern ABS is a good thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I never said it's a bad thing, I'm saying that having a low-speed, relatively avoidable accident then saying "Thats also why I'll probably never buy a bike without ABS again." is a faulty line of reasoning.

Drifter posted:

If you aren't doing braking exercises either way you're going to be poo poo outta luck. I'v enever had ABS on a bike and I can totally see how it might be useful, but if you mash the front brake thinking ABS will save you then you aren't going to be saved.

Drill.

What he said.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nah, I don't agree at all. ABS is great, because you can drill and drill and drill and practice and that still won't be the same as when someone pulls out in front of you and there's a manhole cover or some gravel or oil you didn't see and it saves your rear end. Or rain, or any sort of other inclement condition.

Is it a replacement for drills? No, but having ABS would have saved a lot of people from crashing.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My first down! Corner was sharper than I thought, went onto the white line and it was convered in gravel and I panicked. Got the bike straight and was tapping the brakes trying to stop but went off the road into the dirt and then the front tire washed out from under me.

I could've made the turn if I leaned over more, but I was scared and pretty sure I target fixated the white line. All cosmetic damage as fast as I can tell. Banged up my knee and ankle, landed square on my shoulder, and that hurts a lot. Elbow hurts a lot too, can't move my arm much without it hurting a lot and it hurts too much to hold its self up. I don't think it's broken, but it hurts a lot so I'm in the ER right now to get it checked out.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I ride a motorcycle to commute in one of the wettest areas in the country, a hilly and heavily congested urban/suburban area where headlight use by cars in inclement weather is apparently neither required by law nor considered reasonable by the general populace. Daylight Savings time, high latitude, and lackadaisical streetlight upkeep conspire to make one or both of my rides to or from work in darkness during the rainy half of the year. American roadway maintenance has for years been trending towards chip seal, tar snakes, or outright neglect instead of actual maintenance and repair. The number of vehicles on the road has increased wildly for decades while new construction and infrastructure projects and public transportation have decreased or all but ceased, drastically overburdening capacity. Our driver education and licensing scheme primarily requires the ability to recognize about 7 out of 10 major traffic control signs on a written test and park a car. I still love to ride and it's the only way to get to work without spending an hour and a half on a bus but even I recognize it's almost criminally self destructive in this environment.

So yeah thanks but I think I'll stick to keeping my stupid safety device with a proven record for reducing accidents while riding home from work in the dark on a crumbling road in the rain alongside all the fat boring slobs whose only concern while on the road is texting their fat boring wives from their fat boring SUVs about what fatty boring slop they'll be shoveling down their maw in the soothing light of the propaganda box. I also have stupid boots and stupid gloves and a stupid helmet and a stupid protective riding suit and stupid insurance, none of which would be necessary if I just learned to ride as good as the harley guys.

I know ABS isn't proof against all accidents but it vastly increases my margin of safety for the extravagant cost of a onetime add of about 500 bucks to the price of a new bike and never having any downside or being noticed again unless I gently caress something up.

ABS also has the unique benefit of allowing you to practice those braking drills in safety because it's got your back when you do find the limit. I've taken advanced rider training which did involve speed braking exercises in a dry parking lot and watched 2 guys eat poo poo because they went just over the limit which will still put your bike on the ground even in controlled practice conditions.

And also I just realized I'm a bit of a liar because I'll probably get a supermoto one day and they don't really do ABS. But supermotos are apparently special and not bound by the rules of mortal men.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I have a bike without ABS and a bike with ABS, and while they're not identical otherwise, it is plainly apparent that the system makes a tremendous positive difference. I have had emergency stops on the ABS bike that I firmly believe would've had me on my rear end without assistance, and situations on the non-ABS bike where I didn't fall, but came way closer than comfortable, that the ABS would've handled without sweat. If you have the option for a streetbike it is a literal no-brainer (possible exception of the very early BMW systems, mayyyybe.)

Also, drill and drill and drill by all means, but nevertheless if you commute there will be that day where the shadows of clouds hide a splash of oil, or you only got 39 winks instead of the full 40, or the stars align to gently caress you, and in that situation ABS if equipped will give you that little boost of odds that may be the diff between an uncomfortable scare and a blacktop slide.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Abs would have prevented my last get off, so would have not hitting a damp paint stripe while braking hard. We all gently caress up and make mistakes, and that's the (sometimes painful) truth. This poo poo is risky enough as is, why do so many riders have the "naw man, abs is bullshit" mentality when it has been proven to be effective?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I'll probably get a supermoto one day and they don't really do ABS. But supermotos are apparently special and not bound by the rules of mortal men.

Supermoto is the Konami code for motorcycling. Brake as deep into the corner as you like, take a short cut across that grass verge, ham-fist the throttle and land the resulting power wheelie with the front wheel sideways. I've lost the back on two corners now thanks to water/oil/ice and ended up at opposite lock, the bike has just sorted itself out on exit (even though I've near shat myself). Even when you drop it the bike just gives no fucks. I have to be super careful when I ride any other kind of bike (barring dirt bikes) because they aren't nearly as forgiving.

Would ABS prevent you doing a stoppie?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Schroeder91 posted:

My first down! Corner was sharper than I thought, went onto the white line and it was convered in gravel and I panicked. Got the bike straight and was tapping the brakes trying to stop but went off the road into the dirt and then the front tire washed out from under me.

I could've made the turn if I leaned over more, but I was scared and pretty sure I target fixated the white line. All cosmetic damage as fast as I can tell. Banged up my knee and ankle, landed square on my shoulder, and that hurts a lot. Elbow hurts a lot too, can't move my arm much without it hurting a lot and it hurts too much to hold its self up. I don't think it's broken, but it hurts a lot so I'm in the ER right now to get it checked out.

Trip report: fractured elbow and scapula. Stuck in a sling for 6 weeks, which means no riding :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

No, it only stops you from locking up the wheel, which would be a monumentally stupid thing to do while attempting a stoppie. Depends on how quickly it'll let your front wheel decelerate, though.

Traction control will put a damper on wheelies. Probably stoppies too if it's got some kind of angle sensor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you have the option for a streetbike it is a literal no-brainer (possible exception of the very early BMW systems, mayyyybe.)
I've played around with those old systems a bit, and when they're working, they work pretty well. Not as unintrusive as more modern systems, but they work.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Welp, I had my first real crash-up today. I decided to take the bike to work because it is almost 70 and sunny here in Atlanta, although this morning was a little cooler and still wet from the night's rain. Less than a quarter mile from my house as I slowed for a stop light, I guess I was a little overzealous with my rear brake and locked it up maybe 40 feet from the intersection. As I slid and started going sideways, I think I let off the brake. I thought about this possibility as the bike suddenly snapped back straight and launched me off, flying through the air thinking 'God drat it. MSF training fail...' Actually, it was very quick, and most of that happened in the few moments immediately after the impact.

My ZX-6E skidded about 10 feet on its right side and rashed up it's pretty Purplish Black Mica paint. I smacked the pavement with my helmet and caused some small abrasions in the upper right visor area. After righting the bike and unflooding the carbs, I rode back home and hopped in the car. My backpack was now filled with my previously contained lunch and snack: chili and blueberry yogurt. Other than a slight headache and my back feeling a little sore, I'm totally fine. I didn't really see any damage to my gear aside from the helmet. I already ordered a replacement helmet just in case.

Lessons learned:
Just hold that rear brake down when the rear starts to slide.
Don't put chili in the backpack.
Be wary of wet roads, especially near stoplights where most cars just puke oil all over the ground because what's the worst that could happen?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You came out of it pretty good all things considered.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

The Speed Triple's does not, other bikes I can't say.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Faster Blaster posted:

Welp, I had my first real crash-up today. I decided to take the bike to work because it is almost 70 and sunny here in Atlanta, although this morning was a little cooler and still wet from the night's rain. Less than a quarter mile from my house as I slowed for a stop light, I guess I was a little overzealous with my rear brake and locked it up maybe 40 feet from the intersection. As I slid and started going sideways, I think I let off the brake. I thought about this possibility as the bike suddenly snapped back straight and launched me off, flying through the air thinking 'God drat it. MSF training fail...' Actually, it was very quick, and most of that happened in the few moments immediately after the impact.

My ZX-6E skidded about 10 feet on its right side and rashed up it's pretty Purplish Black Mica paint. I smacked the pavement with my helmet and caused some small abrasions in the upper right visor area. After righting the bike and unflooding the carbs, I rode back home and hopped in the car. My backpack was now filled with my previously contained lunch and snack: chili and blueberry yogurt. Other than a slight headache and my back feeling a little sore, I'm totally fine. I didn't really see any damage to my gear aside from the helmet. I already ordered a replacement helmet just in case.

Lessons learned:
Be wary of wet roads, especially near stoplights where most cars just puke oil all over the ground because what's the worst that could happen?

Yikes, glad to hear you are alright.

I've locked up my rear brakes twice before and think I just got lucky both times. One of the times I panicked and let off the brake, but the bike didn't buck back and forth much.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Nope, there's a motojournal on YouTube with tests on the 1190 Adventure R with some very impressive stoppies and wheelies.

As an aside, no bike means no riding for me at the moment but I've seen a couple of crashes recently, both Harley riders, grey nomads rather than bikies but both had managed to crash in straight lines without seeming to contact anyone else. Both times I was about the tenth car past the scene so no point stopping but neither rider looked in a good way.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 18, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Aargh posted:

Nope, there's a motojournal on YouTube with tests on the 1190 Adventure R with some very impressive stoppies and wheelies.
On ADV bikes you can usually switch the ABS off, though.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Faster Blaster posted:

Lessons learned:

MSF doesn't give you enough practice with that kind of thing. I suggest going to a parking lot after a good rain and practice locking the rear up and letting off, and holding a good rear wheel skid. The longer you hold the skid once you've started the less forward momentum you're gonna have (though of course it's not as good brakingwise as not sliding the tire) and the less the bike will try to fling you off.

In a straight line you can even lock up your front tire without going down, though you have to ease off the brake quick to avoid a spill. Either way the first time you do it you'll be spilling poop in your pants, it's a scary feeling.

Dual sports and supermotos are cheating but I love the rain because I can just skid the gently caress out of the rear tire on my DRZ and release pretty much whenever and suffer no ill effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Dual sports and supermotos are cheating but I love the rain because I can just skid the gently caress out of the rear tire on my DRZ and release pretty much whenever and suffer no ill effects.

What's mechanically different about a DRZ from a normal streetbike that makes you able to do that? Or is it just a style of riding you were taught to do?

• Locked thread