Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
So today I walked into Barnes and Noble asking for King's new Shining novel remembering that the FB notice I got said September 24.

Wait, September 24, 2013? Alas, now I am the fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

I bought The Regulators (in hardcover) for a buck at the Humane Society thrift store. I should have just given them the dollar and walked out.

I really couldn't get into Desperation or Regulators.

Those, lisey's story, Rose madder... are probably his worst books.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I really couldn't get into Desperation or Regulators.

Those, lisey's story, Rose madder... are probably his worst books.

I liked Desperation :smith:. Regulators not AS much but still way more than Rose Madder. I even have the movie versions of Desperation and The Tommyknockers (somewhere).

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's the first teaser for the new Carrie movie. It's supposed to be less a remake of the original film and a more faithful adaption of the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Ra9EEIGLg&hd=1

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I just borrowed 11/22/63 from my sister. When my dad saw the title, he said "That's the day Kennedy got shot, isn't it?". So I'm going in with a pretty good idea of how significant that date is to King's generation.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I just borrowed 11/22/63 from my sister. When my dad saw the title, he said "That's the day Kennedy got shot, isn't it?". So I'm going in with a pretty good idea of how significant that date is to King's generation.

I finished that up the other week, and I think I can safely say without spoling anything for you that your assessment is pretty much right on the money.

Overall I enjoyed the book, but having been born well after the Kennedy assassination (and generally having different cultural experiences than King's), I found that this song kept running through my head while I was reading it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVfeLavkFso

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I just read The Shining for the first time. It's really great.

It's a little heavy handed with Danny explaining everything rather though.

Jack keeps saying the hotel wants him. The hotel keeps telling him to kill his wife and son. There's no need for Danny to info dump to his mother. "It wants all of us. It’s tricking Daddy, it’s fooling him, trying to make him think it wants him the most. It wants me the most, but it will take all of us."

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Not sure if this is quite the appropriate place, but I know that the thread here has derailed a little onto his books before and it's been sort of dead lately, so hopefully some of you guys might be interested!

Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) had his book Horns picked up to be made into a film. Currently playing the lead role? Daniele Radcliffe. There's a short interview here along with a photo. I'm pretty excited for this, because while Radcliffe isn't anywhere near on my favorites list, Horns certainly is. I hope it's good. :C

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

That drat Satyr posted:

Not sure if this is quite the appropriate place, but I know that the thread here has derailed a little onto his books before and it's been sort of dead lately, so hopefully some of you guys might be interested!

Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) had his book Horns picked up to be made into a film. Currently playing the lead role? Daniele Radcliffe. There's a short interview here along with a photo. I'm pretty excited for this, because while Radcliffe isn't anywhere near on my favorites list, Horns certainly is. I hope it's good. :C

If I thought Heart-Shaped Box had a great beginning but was ultimately a disappointment, is Horns likely to produce the same reaction?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

If I thought Heart-Shaped Box had a great beginning but was ultimately a disappointment, is Horns likely to produce the same reaction?

I don't think so, Horns is better than Heart Shaped Box by far. Then again, I didn't really like any part of Heart Shaped Box.

And I think Daniel Radcliffe is a perfect choice for the lead of Horns. I didn't realize it, but he's pretty much exactly what I thought of when I pictured the character while reading the book.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

One thing I didn't like about Horns is that it took the mopey but ~totally hardcore~ protagonist of HSB and cranked it up to 11. Once he gets his horns he starts belting out awful one-liners and long monologues about how the devil is really the good guy and god is the bad guy if you think about it maaaan and sick burns that are totally :rolleyes:-worthy even if you accept that it's all because the horns make him act like a mustache-twirling devil. I didn't think it was bad by any means but there was a part around the middle where I just wished I could have less background on his totally perfect goddess girlfriend's murder and more of him loving with people by making them casually reveal their darkest secrets, which is funny because one of the reasons why I liked HSB is because he cut right to the chase and didn't have three hundred pages of farting around before the actual story started like his dad does all the time.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Farbtoner posted:

One thing I didn't like about Horns is that it took the mopey but ~totally hardcore~ protagonist of HSB and cranked it up to 11. Once he gets his horns he starts belting out awful one-liners and long monologues about how the devil is really the good guy and god is the bad guy if you think about it maaaan and sick burns that are totally :rolleyes:-worthy even if you accept that it's all because the horns make him act like a mustache-twirling devil. I didn't think it was bad by any means but there was a part around the middle where I just wished I could have less background on his totally perfect goddess girlfriend's murder and more of him loving with people by making them casually reveal their darkest secrets, which is funny because one of the reasons why I liked HSB is because he cut right to the chase and didn't have three hundred pages of farting around before the actual story started like his dad does all the time.

Horns just went south really fast for me. The "terrible secrets" every one had were just too terrible and too many people had them for me to swallow. I could not give one single poo poo about the protagonist either, because the action ramped up so fast that I never got an impression of what his life was like before, and even though that mystery was solved through flashbacks, after the second half started the book just jumped the shark and became too surreal for me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

On the same Joe Hill tangent, his upcoming novel 'NOS4A2' is really good, in my opinion leaving Horns flat. It shows he's really growing into his fathers shoes and filling them out VERY well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think its funny that while he doesn't exactly advertise it, its extremely obvious that Joe Hill is King's son. Not because of his writing but because of this:

Dude couldn't look more like his father if he tried.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

muscles like this? posted:

I think its funny that while he doesn't exactly advertise it, its extremely obvious that Joe Hill is King's son. Not because of his writing but because of this:

Actually, it looks like he's tring pretty hard, doesn't it?

If he shaved, changed his glasses and combed his hair he could totally go incognito, especially when you compare his jawline to his father's.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

muscles like this? posted:

That is a very awkward looking beard. It looks photoshopped. That thing could cut glass.

I only have his short story collection. Some of them were pretty decent, a couple were not to my liking. I would try his other stuff one day, but I won't pay full price or anything. They lack a certain je ne sais quoi that his father had, for me.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Farbtoner posted:

one of the reasons why I liked HSB is because he cut right to the chase and didn't have three hundred pages of farting around before the actual story started like his dad does all the time.

See, the reason I didn't like Heart-Shaped Box was because he jumped right into the story and then spent three hundred pages farting around.

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training

when worlds collide posted:

That is a very awkward looking beard. It looks photoshopped. That thing could cut glass.

I only have his short story collection. Some of them were pretty decent, a couple were not to my liking. I would try his other stuff one day, but I won't pay full price or anything. They lack a certain je ne sais quoi that his father had, for me.

I've actually found that Hill's a bit of a polar-opposite of his father as far as short stories vs novels go, at least thus far. King can write some really disappointing novels, but his short stories are almost always at least palatable; Hill's short stories disappointed me most of the time, but his two novels, thus far, have been quite good; he's a better novel-writer than short-story-writer. Of course, I've only checked the books out from the library; I'm not about to own copies or anything.

April
Jul 3, 2006

iostream.h posted:

On the same Joe Hill tangent, his upcoming novel 'NOS4A2' is really good, in my opinion leaving Horns flat. It shows he's really growing into his fathers shoes and filling them out VERY well.

I'm dying to read this - where can I get a copy?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

iostream.h posted:

Is it about street racing vampires?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

April posted:

It doesn't come out until April, he must have gotten his hands on a proof/ARC.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

It doesn't come out until April, he must have gotten his hands on a proof/ARC.

Well crap!

Thanks for the info, though. On the plus side, maybe I'll get to go to another Joe Hill reading. I went to one when Horns first came out, and it was great.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I read In The Tall Grass today.
It's sort of a poor man's Children of the Corn.
The set up is good but then it loses something as it goes on.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I scored FDNS at Goodwill the other day for a buck. Very dark stories, some of the scariest.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

April posted:

I apologize for the delay in replying, somehow this fell off my bookmarks list.

Yes, my sister is a librarian and while visiting I snagged it for a couple of days and tore through it. I didn't even pause to think whether or not that was kosher in this forum. Apologies if not.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

iostream.h posted:

NOS4A2

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is it about street racing vampires?
loving bravo. :golfclap:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I read In The Tall Grass today.
It's sort of a poor man's Children of the Corn.
The set up is good but then it loses something as it goes on.
He's rich, he's got every connection in the world, but I can feel sorry for him for this one thing: he'll never write anything that's not compared to his dad's work, at least not for a while. And because Stephen King has so many stories, on so many subjects, there's really nothing Joe can write about that won't be described as "a poor man's [insert dad's book here], or "Reminds me of ____, by his dad, who by the way did it better."

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Pheeets posted:

I scored FDNS at Goodwill the other day for a buck. Very dark stories, some of the scariest.

I think "Fair Extension" and "A Good Marriage" are the best in that book. FE is just so gloriously pessimistic about human nature.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I bought The Regulators (in hardcover) for a buck at the Humane Society thrift store. I should have just given them the dollar and walked out.

I did this at a salvation army this weekend.

I don't know what it is with people using creepy children with psychic powers/demon possession as villains but that poo poo was old before I was born.

On the plus side the murderous children toy hallucinations killing people in drive-bys is pretty funny. Too bad the kid wasn't in to power rangers.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Klisejo posted:

I did this at a salvation army this weekend.

I don't know what it is with people using creepy children with psychic powers/demon possession as villains but that poo poo was old before I was born.

On the plus side the murderous children toy hallucinations killing people in drive-bys is pretty funny. Too bad the kid wasn't in to power rangers.

Considering how he holds up The Village of the Damned in his novels (Bobby Garfield has an awakening that movies can be art when he sees it in Hearts In Atlantis and I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it in other novels) I imagine it had a profound effect on him as a kid and he's been drawing from that ever since.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just wanted to pipe in and say that I picked up Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box cause of the thread. Only about half way through it, but it is definitely..... different. I'm enjoying it, and I gotta say that it's actually a pretty creepy book, but sometimes the story gets a little disjointed. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Judas is actually just going nuts or something. I'd recommend it if you want an interesting romp.

*edit* Just finished it. Good book, ending was a little.... cheery considering the tone of the book, but not bad at all. If I liked this I guess I should take a look at Horns next, huh?

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 28, 2012

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
'Under the Dome' just got a 13-episode TV series order for CBS's 2013 summer lineup, helmed by 'ER' and 'Law & Order SVU' writer/producer Neal Baer and 'Lost' alum Brian K. Vaughan.

Baer wrote a lot of early-season 'ER' episodes, including season two's "Hell or High Water", generally considered to be just about the best episode in the show's 15-year run. Vaughan created and wrote the comic series "Y: The Last Man" and a handful of 'Lost' episodes.

https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118062857

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Aatrek posted:

'Under the Dome' just got a 13-episode TV series order for CBS's 2013 summer lineup, helmed by 'ER' and 'Law & Order SVU' writer/producer Neal Baer and 'Lost' alum Brian K. Vaughan.

Baer wrote a lot of early-season 'ER' episodes, including season two's "Hell or High Water", generally considered to be just about the best episode in the show's 15-year run. Vaughan created and wrote the comic series "Y: The Last Man" and a handful of 'Lost' episodes.

https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118062857

On one hand, that's awesome, but on another, the network adaptations of his books have generally left something to be desired.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

3Romeo posted:

On one hand, that's awesome, but on another, the network adaptations of his books have generally left something to be desired.

Most movies and TV treatments of his books tend to reveal the stunning amount of blood and gore in his works. Strange how I barely seem to notice it while reading, but holy poo poo he wrote a lot of blood-soaked horror.

So maybe that's why the movies are not as popular to the mainstream?

"Under The Dome" would be a horrific movie for the faint at heart.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I hope they don't change the kid who talks like she's from a bad tv show in 1991.

And psychic dog obviously.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Vaughan created and wrote the comic series "Y: The Last Man" and a handful of 'Lost' episodes.
Holy poo poo I never realized this!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pheeets posted:

No, the movies aren't unpopular because they're gory.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

3Romeo posted:

And by 'something', I'm thinking 'a lot'. I can't think of one good one, myself.

Pheeets posted:

Most movies and TV treatments of his books tend to reveal the stunning amount of blood and gore in his works. Strange how I barely seem to notice it while reading, but holy poo poo he wrote a lot of blood-soaked horror.

"Under The Dome" would be a horrific movie for the faint at heart.

I wouldn't expect Stephen King to be for the faint of heart. Perhaps a nice historical romance...

Fallom posted:

No, the movies aren't unpopular because they're gory.

Pretty much this.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Perhaps a nice historical romance...

I thought "Carrie" was quite romantic, after all what girl doesn't want to be Prom Queen?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Pheeets posted:

I thought "Carrie" was quite romantic, after all what girl doesn't want to be Prom Queen?

That's the stuff a girl's dreams are made of! :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

And by 'something', I'm thinking 'a lot'. I can't think of one good one, myself.

Yeah, I was trying to be nice. Network adaptations of his have sucked more poo poo than a porta-john vacuum. They have their good parts, sometimes, but as a rule, they're terrible. And it isn't because they're gory. It's because they aren't. King's style--outside of his naturalism, I mean--only really works on the screen when you have one of two things: actors who can sell some otherwise cheesy dialogue (eg, Morgan Freeman) or buckets and buckets of blood and gore. I'm talking like a red tide of eyeballs and intestines. It's where his humor comes from. Without either of those two things--neither of which you'll find on network television--his stuff tends to suck real bad.