Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't even get to interviews. I don't even get responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 10, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, I loving did internships, I even loving designed a medical device and matching imaging system by the end of April. I don't understand how I go from that to "completely unemployable" unless I am somehow mentally retarded. What am I doing wrong?

Got a resume (minus identifying information, if you care) that you could show us? Got any sample positions you've applied to, company names, etc?
Without any extra information, I'd assume one of three things given you aren't even getting interviews:
#1 - Your resume sucks. (Most likely.)
#2 - You're applying to companies that aren't really hiring, due to hiring freezes or reorgs, but still have those positions listed on their site because 'hey free resumes.' (Very common in pharma and at J&J's various job portals in particular, devices included.)
#3 - You're applying to positions that aren't actually entry level, or are applying to companies that don't really hire B.S applicants in the first place. (Far too common these days.)

Can't judge without more information, though. :)

Biomed is an absolute bitch to get your first (worthwhile) job in, by the way. It gets easier from there, provided you can hang onto the job for ~3 years so that you can get past the experience hurdle.

quote:

I'm beginning to think that biotech is a very bad field.

Yup! It's an absolutely lovely field, but so is everything else everywhere. Enjoy! :D Seriously though: network to high loving hell if you decide to hang around biotech. It's a very small world, and the more people on your side, the better. Listen to the guy above me who asked about the contacts from internships. Nepotism Networking is absolutely key. Without that, it is pure and absolute luck whether a position even exists for you to fill. Biotech doesn't really hire B.S people very often. Entry-level is either B.S + interned there or a M.S/M.Eng now.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 11, 2012

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Pollyanna posted:

I'm asking yet again, but what exactly can I do as a recent BS graduate in Biomedical Engineering? I've been looking at everything available in the Boston area and almost everything is either heavy software related stuff or lab bitch positions. I have zero idea what entry level jobs it qualifies me for, or what jobs it qualifies me for at all.

I'm beginning to think that biotech is a very bad field.

edit: Hell, what can I do PERIOD? Am I able to take apprenticeships, or become a teacher, or something? Am I in any way, shape or form useful!?

How did you get through the program without knowing any of this? If you can't tell people what job you want or qualify for after you graduate, it's no wonder they aren't falling all over themselves to put you into a position.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RogueLemming posted:

How did you get through the program without knowing any of this? If you can't tell people what job you want or qualify for after you graduate, it's no wonder they aren't falling all over themselves to put you into a position.

I think you're taking him a bit too literally there. I read his post as the typical frustration of someone who has applied to hundreds and hundreds of positions and isn't even getting a reply, not someone who literally doesn't know what jobs he can get. Also, I can definitely vouch for biotech / biomed programs at universities overselling (both the professors and the guidance / career office) what you can actually get when you come out. They always neglect to mention the part where "entry level" isn't a B.S. Been there, assumed that, went back to grad school. :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 11, 2012

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Sundae posted:

I think you're taking him a bit too literally there. I read his post as the typical frustration of someone who has applied to hundreds and hundreds of positions and isn't even getting a reply, not someone who literally doesn't know what jobs he can get. Also, I can definitely vouch for biotech / biomed programs at universities overselling (both the professors and the guidance / career office) what you can actually get when you come out. They always neglect to mention the part where "entry level" isn't a B.S. Been there, assumed that, went back to grad school. :)

Fair enough. I can understand the frustration because I'm also a recent grad (though not in biomed) and things are kind of still in a slump. However, even from your perspective, when I reread his post I get the sense that he didn't have a clear goal in mind as he went through his degree. I could be wrong, that's just how it reads to me.

Just as a curiosity, would someone in his situation maybe be better off going for a masters in ME? He said he didn't want something heavily related to software, and ME could open more doors while also not locking him out of the biotech industry. I guess what I'm asking is: how much easier did getting your masters really make it for you?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Got into nothing yet (no interviews or anything) with a Nuclear Engineering BS (and a naval officer career backing that up). DustingDuvet's helping with my resume. Still, after about a hundred applications sent out so far, I'd hoped for more. And all entry-level jobs I see are BSEE, BSME, or software engineering required.

This is after industry contacts pledged to help get me hired, asking for my resume, telling me to apply to certain jobs (that I'd already applied to), then kinda not-really-responding.

Out of money, and pretty much eye-balling returning to the Navy (as a nuke rather than pilot/hydrographer this time) if DD's magic doesn't help me turn my situation around.

Yay engineering :unsmith:

Really feel like I should have gone EE or ME. They just seem so drat much more practical and desired.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pander are you willing to look at New York? Hit me up if you are.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

How helpful is undergrad research in getting a job? I'm doing a co-op now, and my professor offered me a position in his lab next semester. I'd prefer to not have anything extra to do during the semester as I've already given up :siren:MY WHOLE SUMMER:siren:, but if research looks particularly good on a resume I may consider it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RogueLemming posted:

Fair enough. I can understand the frustration because I'm also a recent grad (though not in biomed) and things are kind of still in a slump. However, even from your perspective, when I reread his post I get the sense that he didn't have a clear goal in mind as he went through his degree. I could be wrong, that's just how it reads to me.

Just as a curiosity, would someone in his situation maybe be better off going for a masters in ME? He said he didn't want something heavily related to software, and ME could open more doors while also not locking him out of the biotech industry. I guess what I'm asking is: how much easier did getting your masters really make it for you?

Fair enough on your reading as well. :) I can see your take on the 'no clear goal, etc' view.

Honestly, I don't know for sure how much easier the master's degree made it for me because I also had a lovely undergrad GPA. I have a M.Eng in biological engineering, and while my job offer count was massively higher, I also had a GPA advantage from my master's degree to help get past the Human Resources Wall'o'GPA. (Undergrad was ruined by a soph year, 21-credit 1.59, before I realized I wasn't cut out to be a MechE.) Showing a 3.89 instead goes a loooong way to getting you past dumb dividers. Whether this was the deciding factor or whether it was the master's degree remains to be seen.

HOWEVER... the bigger issue I see is who my coworkers are, or more importantly, who they aren't in the field. They aren't B.S holders. At Pfizer, I had about 150 people in my department when I got there. We had 3 total B.S holders. Across the site organization, the new-hire group had 25 or so B.S holders who were brought in. That's out of a site with a good 2,000 scientists and over 5,000 total staff. When the layoffs started a few months later, all but three of those B.S holders were gone. By the time I got laid off four years later, there was not a single B.S person left in my entire branch of the company.

The ratios aren't all that different here at my new company either, and my former co-workers - now all at different biotech and pharma companies - have not reported any vast concentrations of B.S scientists and engineers when I've asked. I have one person in my group with a B.S, and I know of two in the quality department. All three interned here.

I don't know where they're all hiding, but it isn't at work, as far as I can tell.

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Traitorous Leopard posted:

How helpful is undergrad research in getting a job? I'm doing a co-op now, and my professor offered me a position in his lab next semester. I'd prefer to not have anything extra to do during the semester as I've already given up :siren:MY WHOLE SUMMER:siren:, but if research looks particularly good on a resume I may consider it.

If you're a regular college student with the same (ie next to none) work experience as others, it'll help separate you from the herd and give you something to talk about in an interview, as well as networking. It also depends on your interests and field though; for something like biomed which is largely research based having the undergrad experience is fantastic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, I know what my field's all about. I'm just not specialized in any particular topic so I don't feel competent in anything. I think I'm just getting fatigued somehow...

Here's my resume as it is now. http://www.filedropper.com/pazresume

It doesn't have my GPA on there, which is pretty bad (2.9). I doubt that's the problem, though.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, I know what my field's all about. I'm just not specialized in any particular topic so I don't feel competent in anything. I think I'm just getting fatigued somehow...

Here's my resume as it is now. http://www.filedropper.com/pazresume

It doesn't have my GPA on there, which is pretty bad (2.9). I doubt that's the problem, though.

Your resume is very plain. Get a graphic designer in SA Mart to help with that. Use colors/fonts that will help you stand out.

Maybe you should put your GPA on there? 2.9 isn't bad and some recruiters may immediately think you are hiding something.

Expected graduation when in 2012? Recruiters have a timeline to fill positions and need to know when you are available.

Take this with a grain of salt but your experience is almost coming across as a little TOO impressive for someone your age which may unfairly lead employers to believe you are embellishing a bit. Using the title "Academic Projects" to me means "Course Work" which might make employers think you are just filling space with the same experiences that every BE major will have. If it was a research effort outside of class state which department or professor you worked under.

None of your experiences are clearly defining leadership initiative or ability which makes you sound a bit like a tech. Do you have any points you could add that clearly show you have leadership experience?

Were you in any extracurricular activities? Do you have any worthwhile experiences that give a little insight into your personality? I still have hobbies listed even with 3 years experience because I think it can show character on top of academic ability.

Overall though, you seem to have very good experience for a graduating senior so I find it hard to believe you aren't getting any responses.

resident fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 11, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

resident posted:

Your resume is very plain. Get a graphic designer in SA Mart to help with that. Use colors/fonts that will help you stand out.

Maybe you should put your GPA on there? 2.9 isn't bad and some recruiters may immediately think you are hiding something.

Expected graduation when in 2012? Recruiters have a timeline to fill positions and need to know when you are available.

Take this with a grain of salt but your experience is almost coming across as a little TOO impressive for someone your age which may unfairly lead employers to believe you are embellishing a bit. Using the title "Academic Projects" to me means "Course Work" which might make employers think you are just filling space with the same experiences that every BE major will have. If it was a research effort outside of class state which department or professor you worked under.

None of your experiences are clearly defining leadership initiative or ability which makes you sound a bit like a tech. Do you have any points you could add that clearly show you have leadership experience?

Overall though, you seem to have very good experience for a graduating senior so I find it hard to believe you aren't getting any responses.

This is one of DustingDuvet's works. Maybe I should have him take a look at it again...

I'll put the GPA on, let's hope it works...

Formally, I get the piece of paper in October, but my requirements are all finished.

Not a single thing on there is a lie, but "Academic Projects" is pretty much notable coursework and projects. The most recent one is a senior year project dealio specific to my university. The professors like to harp on that as something you should tout, so :shrug:

Leadership experience? As in, have I ever been autonomous or have I ever led a group all on my own?

And it's a mystery to me too, dude. Maybe I'm applying to the wrong places. Basically, I use BioSpace, Indeed and Dice for job applications, as well as anyone I know who has tips and leads. I search stuff like "biomedical entry level" or "imaging engineer" and the like.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Pollyanna posted:

This is one of DustingDuvet's works. Maybe I should have him take a look at it again...

I'll put the GPA on, let's hope it works...

Formally, I get the piece of paper in October, but my requirements are all finished.

Not a single thing on there is a lie, but "Academic Projects" is pretty much notable coursework and projects. The most recent one is a senior year project dealio specific to my university. The professors like to harp on that as something you should tout, so :shrug:

Leadership experience? As in, have I ever been autonomous or have I ever led a group all on my own?

And it's a mystery to me too, dude. Maybe I'm applying to the wrong places. Basically, I use BioSpace, Indeed and Dice for job applications, as well as anyone I know who has tips and leads. I search stuff like "biomedical entry level" or "imaging engineer" and the like.

The design isn't "bad" but the fonts are just standard which can be good or bad depending on where you are applying. If you want, I can email you my personal resume for a better idea of what a graphic designer can do for you.

Did you have a client for your senior design project? Perhaps you could add that to your "Work Experience" if there is a company or professor associated with it so it would stand out more.

Leadership as in were you a president of a club, president of your senior design group, or organizer of an ultimate Frisbee league? Something besides x,y,z task that you completed under someone else's direction.

Also I edited in this after your quote...

Were you in any extracurricular activities? Do you have any worthwhile experiences that give a little insight into your personality? I still have hobbies listed even with 3 years experience because I think it can show character on top of academic ability.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think you need to stop applying for jobs and invest your time networking for jobs. Off the top of my head:

1. What is the BME equivalent to Eta Kappa Nu (HKN) for EEs? I.E., the honor society for your major? Any chapter worth its salt should maintain a mailing list that alumni remain a part of. Likewise, if you got into TBP (Tau Beta Pi), that's a good resource.

2. Were you in any kind of sorority/community-service fraternity/etc? Always networking there.

3. Have you talked to any professors? They keep in touch with alumni, and the guys they generally put the effort into keeping in touch with often have considerable hiring power.

4. Never hurts to ping your school's career office real quick.

5. Can anyone at your two internships help you out? They may not have jobs directly, but they may have friends/colleagues looking for people at their companies.

6. This is a stretch, but conventions can sometimes work as well for networking.

Leadership experience can be good to list; I listed some student government and fraternity positions that actually had some weight to them, not just 0-effort positions. If you led a senior design group or something, that could be good.

None of this is really sneaky/scummy; it's not like your resume is awful and you have no experience. You just need to make it past robo-filters and get your rear end in a chair for an interview. At that point, you demonstrate your technical competency, but more importantly, convince the interviewer(s) that you are someone they can tolerate working with for >40 hours a week.

Also, I personally don't see the point in listing any MS Office skills. For us engineers, the robo-filters haven't looked for that in a long time, and most people our age (22 here) are assumed to know it inside and out because we've been using it for the majority of our lives. Do you know any programming languages? Python or something? They can make your life a lot easier at work, and in general a scripting language is a good thing to know. It should take you the better part of a week to get usable in Python, I'd think.

Are there any "common" software tools in use in your field? I.E. AutoCAD for MEs, SPICE/Altium/Allegro/OrCAD for EEs, etc? If so, find experience in that somehow and throw it on your resume.

Also you left your personal information on your resume, remember we're all :spergin: Just make a copy without that and dropbox link-us if/when you make updates.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

resident posted:

The design isn't "bad" but the fonts are just standard which can be good or bad depending on where you are applying. If you want, I can email you my personal resume for a better idea of what a graphic designer can do for you.

Did you have a client for your senior design project? Perhaps you could add that to your "Work Experience" if there is a company or professor associated with it so it would stand out more.

Leadership as in were you a president of a club, president of your senior design group, or organizer of an ultimate Frisbee league? Something besides x,y,z task that you completed under someone else's direction.

Also I edited in this after your quote...

Is it really that big of an effect on the resume? I suppose it could make it a little less monochrome...

The client was for the professor's lab that the project was sponsored by. I thought I had included that? I'll put it in.

I don't really have anything like that. My section of my senior year project was rather separate from the device itself, and I was kind of on my own for that.

No organized activities. (I had attempted to get involved with the GSA at my school, but it was dead on arrival.) Experiences? Uh... I suppose I can bring up the week I was volunteering at a Guatemalan hospital, but that was a few years back. Hobbies, I like translation and writing, but it's not like a profession for me. I guess I also like working with MATLAB moreso than is healthy for a normal person :v:

This is what my cover letter looks like:

quote:

Dear sir or madam,

I am a senior intending to complete my Bachelors of Science in Biomedical Engineering by mid-June of 2012. My engineering experience ranges from biomaterials (tissue interactions with hip implants), to medical devices (a painless waterproof electrode for underwater training), to biomechanics (a process for modeling osteoporosis in chicken bone), to medical imaging (cell segmentation, fluorescence intensity analysis and statistics, etc.).

My prior work experience has been with Mayo Clinic Florida in the summer of 2010, where I assisted the Medical Physics department in quality control of Siemens fMRI systems and calibration of a newly-installed MAGNETOM Skyra 3T machine. From May, 2011, to August, 2011, I assisted in a project regarding transgenic mice as a model for genetic bone disorders by analyzing µCT sections of mouse bone specimens and compiling biomechanical statistics based on CT data.

My personal interest lies in medical imaging. I have experience in image processing and analysis of microCT sections, writing MATLAB scripts for segmenting epithelial cells and cell membranes from immunohistochemical slides, and semi-automatic segmentation and counting of osteoclasts from histological sections. My goal is to expand my experience with imaging analysis systems, and to become involved in practical applications of medical imaging.

I feel that I would be a great help to [insert company and relevant pandering here]. I will formally receive my Bachelors of Science in October 2012, following summer classes in mid-June.

Thank you,

Pollyanna

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 11, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

This is what my cover letter looks like:

I know everyone's opinions on cover letters differs, but here's my take. Yours reads kind of generic (which is both good and bad), and strikes me as something you'd send out looking for an internship position. I can't say exactly why, but just a cursory skim over that letter (which I think is honestly what most HR people do) my gut feeling came away as "has BME experience, seeking internship". Maybe if you started targeting/customizing the letter for each position? Have a generic core that you can tack-on specific experiences too. I imagine a CT Imaging Engineer position may not care too much about your osteoporosis modelling experience; they can see you did that on your resume behind the cover letter.

I've only written a few cover letters, and I customized them for each company. Facebook was hiring hardware engineers for developing their own server hardware, and I wrote a custom letter to them that basically said "your position sounds awesome, I have vast amounts of experience in what you're looking for, I've done the tasks you're looking to hire people to complete and I can hit the ground running at your place". It was pretty direct, and got me an interview.

So, I guess, for example if you were applying to GE or Siemens to work on their MRI units, you could customize the letter for the position. Entry-level imaging systems analyst? Focus on your experience in the area in the letter, and show that you're passionate about the subject. I feel like you want to give the vibe of "yeah, I've done that, and done it well :smug: I am ready to help make your company's products even more awesome!"

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

Are you serious about this resume being plain? Please don't use any colors and odd fonts, when I read resumes I want to "understand" candidate in a shortest time possible and all these details just distract attention. What you have now is reasonable from design perspective.

I would move Experience above Education. I would also probably add another section on top, called "Skills" or similar and put a summary of what you can do. Not your current "Technical Skills" section, which is essentially a list of software/equipment you can use, but skills in a broader sense, like "CT analysis".

Languages are not a "Technical Skills".

When you write about your experience, focus on achievements, not process, i.e. not "performed", "executed", but write what was the goal of this study, was it achieved and so on.

Edit: Follow the advice on cover letters, it is absolutely essential. You resume and cover letter will get 1min of attention, at most, I would say. Focus on your strengths and make a solid, simple and short message that you can do what they need.

Exergy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 11, 2012

SneakySnake
Feb 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since we're doing resume help, I'm looking for some advice on how to fix up mine. I worked as a private investigator for about 7 months and quit when it was becoming too much with school work and research on top of it. What are good ways to phrase/highlight the skills that will translate over?

My job mostly involved being the guy in the car who sits outside for 8 hours and follows someone. I usually worked on my own or with another person, and had to type up reports to send in within 48 hours. While the job wasn't readily relevant, I feel like having a position where I didn't have a supervisor breathing down my neck and needed to write reports within a timely fashion is.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'll throw in that networking is extremely valuable, and add in that it's extremely valuable even outside of your field. If you are known as a competent and dedicated worker, you are pretty much always useful; I've been hit up by buddies in vastly different fields because they know that I can be trained easily enough and I don't really mess around when it comes to getting work done.

I always recommend getting some side skills, programming is always helpful, and I've designed databases for two of my last three employers (as a MechE). It can also be a good conversation piece if it's unusual or interesting, I had a nice conversation come about because I'm a trained fingerprinter.

Lastly, try as hard as you can to keep your chin up. A lot of us picked inconvenient times to graduate, it took me 18 months to find a job, and I was looking for a long time, hitting up everything I could. All I can say, and I mean this, is that it does get easier once you have even a year of experience, and it gets even easier past that. Try not to let it get to you too much. Regardless of everything else, getting an engineering degree is an accomplishment. I know I struggled really hard with it. Try your best to remember that you're still smart and capable, even if you're unlucky.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SneakySnake posted:

Since we're doing resume help, I'm looking for some advice on how to fix up mine. I worked as a private investigator for about 7 months and quit when it was becoming too much with school work and research on top of it. What are good ways to phrase/highlight the skills that will translate over?

My job mostly involved being the guy in the car who sits outside for 8 hours and follows someone. I usually worked on my own or with another person, and had to type up reports to send in within 48 hours. While the job wasn't readily relevant, I feel like having a position where I didn't have a supervisor breathing down my neck and needed to write reports within a timely fashion is.

That actually sounds pretty cool, I know I'd remember a guy who was interviewing who also used to be a PI. I guess you could emphasize your meeting deadlines, getting deliverables in on-time, long periods of independent work, etc.

I'd recommend the resume goon if you need some clean-up there. I don't think colour is ever worth it because chances are it's getting processed in B&W somewhere along the chain. Obviously, colour is probably a necessity in other fields.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Tovarisch posted:

Are you serious about this resume being plain? Please don't use any colors and odd fonts, when I read resumes I want to "understand" candidate in a shortest time possible and all these details just distract attention. What you have now is reasonable from design perspective.

This x100. Please don't use colors or fancy fonts. Garamond is about as fancy a font as you ever should see on a resume. You want to stand out, but you don't want to STAND OUT. Just having a resume in a sensible order puts you leagues above your peers.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Polyanna resume posted:

The resume.

Okay - first thing's first, forget everything people are telling you about your formatting blandness / not blandness. The reason I say that is that I use that exact same template from DustingDuvet, and though I'm at a different career point from you, I have absolutely no problem getting interviews at all anymore. (For the first time in my life, I'm actually getting unsolicited interview requests.) If the resume format was an issue, there would be a lot more STEM goons having the same problem as you. That format is pretty danged common around here.

I'd like to also add one other point about the 'basic' fonts: Remember that you don't get to give your resumes to people in person anymore. It's all done via automatic submission. Guess what happens if you give someone a resume with a custom font and they don't have it installed? Arial or Calibri, and if it breaks your formatting, tough poo poo! A round of Calibri for everyone, on the house!

2.9 is not a good GPA. Do not put it on your resume. That is almost exactly my end-of-B.S GPA, and I had recruiters at the career fair handing my resume back to me after reading that part.

What exactly happened to your GPA, by the way? Are you sure you're in the right field? Don't take that as an insult, please; I mean it from the perspective of finding out if there is something not 'clicking' for you in your field, or if parts just don't interest you, etc. Better to figure that out now than five years from now.

I'm going to be brutally honest here: you need to get to networking your rear end off. In biotech - especially with a B.S - that's how you get a foot in the door unless you have an astonishingly good resume and background, or unless you are astonishingly lucky. You don't have any of those qualities.

Your background really just isn't good enough to get you hired as a B.S unless you get amazingly lucky. You either need an in via networking, or you need to go back to grad school. Sign up for the GREs (good to have regardless of your final decision), start taking to professors and your internship contacts, and find out whatever you can find out about possible openings they can refer you to. (It also helps with grad school admissions if you stay in touch with your professors, by the way.)

Evaluate your options and interests before blindly walking into grad school discussions, by the way. Figure out what you like, what PROJECT ideas you like, etc. Even in an M.Eng, you drive it yourself.

Other people, feel free to disagree with me here. His resume is just deja vu to me as being my own from seven years ago.

quote:

I'll throw in that networking is extremely valuable, and add in that it's extremely valuable even outside of your field. If you are known as a competent and dedicated worker, you are pretty much always useful; I've been hit up by buddies in vastly different fields because they know that I can be trained easily enough and I don't really mess around when it comes to getting work done.

Don't ever forget this advice from CCKeane, by the way. This is how things work. Even after you get into your industry, you will change jobs. You will get laid off. You will talk to that guy you used to work with back at X before he moved to Y, and he'll tell you he has a position opening up in his department that pays way better. This is how the professional market works.

(Get on LinkedIn if you're not already there, also.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sundae posted:

2.9 is not a good GPA. Do not put it on your resume. That is almost exactly my end-of-B.S GPA, and I had recruiters at the career fair handing my resume back to me after reading that part.

Agreed on this, though again, its absence will be noted no matter what. It can go either way...they'll think you're hiding it, or they'll use it on the robo-filter. Can you afford to take some blow-off credits to tip it over to a 3.0?

quote:

Other people, feel free to disagree with me here. His resume is just deja vu to me as being my own from seven years ago.

Don't ever forget this advice from CCKeane, by the way. This is how things work. Even after you get into your industry, you will change jobs. You will get laid off. You will talk to that guy you used to work with back at X before he moved to Y, and he'll tell you he has a position opening up in his department that pays way better. This is how the professional market works.

(Get on LinkedIn if you're not already there, also.)

No disagreement here, I posted a half-dozen networking ideas at the top of the page/earlier today.

movax fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 12, 2012

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Networking is critical regardless of GPA and regardless of industry.

I wouldn't put your GPA on your resume either, by the way. It's an employers market out there and it seems hard for anyone with less than a 3.0 to get noticed. Hell, I've heard 3.2 in some circles. Maybe not putting your GPA on your resume might get your resume thrown in the trash but probably not as much as if you were to put your GPA down.

See if you can take some disposable classes to boost it up. A semester of taking Intro to Sociology and 19th century Art History may be worth it if it is enough to push it up over a 3.0. Yes, it is an arbitrary line drawn in the sand but when there are 100 job applicants for a job, a hiring manager and HR has to find easy ways to thin the numbers. GPA cutoffs are one of the easiest ways to go about it.

movax posted:

What exactly happened to your GPA, by the way? Are you sure you're in the right field? Don't take that as an insult, please; I mean it from the perspective of finding out if there is something not 'clicking' for you in your field, or if parts just don't interest you, etc. Better to figure that out now than five years from now.

This seems odd (the copy and paste of Sundae's original post).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Experiment posted:

See if you can take some disposable classes to boost it up. A semester of taking Intro to Sociology and 19th century Art History may be worth it if it is enough to push it up over a 3.0. Yes, it is an arbitrary line drawn in the sand but when there are 100 job applicants for a job, a hiring manager and HR has to find easy ways to thin the numbers. GPA cutoffs are one of the easiest ways to go about it.

Only problem would be of course if Pollyanna has a huge number of credits already accrued; hopefully 2.9 is more like 2.98 or something.

quote:

This seems odd (the copy and paste of Sundae's original post).

Oops yeah, I misplaced the quote tag. :shobon:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

movax posted:

Only problem would be of course if Pollyanna has a huge number of credits already accrued; hopefully 2.9 is more like 2.98 or something.

2.98 rounded to two digits is 3.0 so if you're above a 2.95, put a 3.0

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!
I had a 2.54 GPA when I graduated, and I got a job offer 6 months before I graduated. I had to work my way through school. More often than not, work took a priority over school as being a bum but living in the library only works in the movies.

How did I nab a job amongst a sea of 3.5-4.0 applicants who had mommy and daddy paying their way?

NETWORKING!!!!

Holy poo poo, just do it. Be a networking whore, no one will think less of you. Join a professional society and hit up all their meetings. Go to every job fair offered, etc.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, yadda yadda.

Edit: Oh yeah, 6 years out of school, I'm a manager AND I do the technical work too. In the big picture, GPA doesn't mean squat.

CapnBoomstick
Jan 20, 2006

Well it's not going to hurt, that's for sure. And what were you going to do with the time that you would be working? Having a life?? Ha, you're in Chem E son, you don't get one of those!

But seriously, what are you taking next semester? If it's a full load, I would consider just focusing on course work. I think working in the lab is great because you get some work experience and at the end you have a great reference from your professor, and hell, you might even get published. But your course work comes first, so make sure you can handle your classes before you consider doing anything extra.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Seconding this. Using some formatting to highlight stuff and catch the eye is fine. But colors and multiple fonts are distracting and unneeded in an engineering resume. Most people who look at it are going to see either an unformatted form from the HR website or a black and white printoff of the resume anyway.

I'm not saying make the resume a rainbow with some weird rear end curly cue serif fonts. DustingDuvet's layout is cluttered and looks exactly the same as the resume I created in my intro to engineering course freshman year. There are subtle changes to the layout that can improve organization and readability of the entire resume using standard fonts that are available on 99.9% of computers without looking like you are trying to be an artist. An actual graphic designer can help with this. Unfortunately, the layout of Pollyanna's resume is not what is holding her back so it's probably the last thing to worry about at this point.

resident fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 12, 2012

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

SeaBass posted:

How did I nab a job amongst a sea of 3.5-4.0 applicants who had mommy and daddy paying their way?

NETWORKING!!!!

Holy poo poo, just do it. Be a networking whore, no one will think less of you. Join a professional society and hit up all their meetings. Go to every job fair offered, etc.

A year ago I was presenting a new product on a biggest SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) conference and exhibition. And still remember a young Chinese guy, graduating from some US university. He spent 15 minutes of my life trying to find a shortcut way to get into company I work for. That was a bit funny to observe and unfortunately I was not able to help him. But he was extremely persistent and I have no doubts he found some options during that conference. So, yes, don't be shy, you have nothing to lose.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

movax posted:

Agreed on this, though again, its absence will be noted no matter what. It can go either way...they'll think you're hiding it, or they'll use it on the robo-filter. Can you afford to take some blow-off credits to tip it over to a 3.0?

Yep - it's a lose-lose situation really. I opted for leaving it off of mine at the suggestion of my career center, but that didn't work for me any better than when I had it on the resume. :) Grad school fixed that for me, plus some dumb luck. I was a loving awful networker coming out of school. :lol:

Of course, if he talked with people in person, did a bit of networking, maybe he could explain away the GPA before the robofilter does it for him! It's almost like everyone in this thread is really onto something useful. :D

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Don't do this. If a company doesn't have a cutoff the difference between a candidate with a 2.98 and a 3.00 is inconsequential. If they do have a cutoff at 3.00 then you are setting yourself up for getting an offer pulled after an interview if they ask for your transcript.
Didn't read the full discussion about GPA but just as an example to back this up... I got interviewed for a position and told I was hired. My application got lost somewhere and they asked for me to fill out a new one as a formality and my GPA was under a 3.0 which was a requirement. The removed the offer. Don't bullshit your GPA because they will take away job offers.

Edit: As I read that it looks like I BS'd my GPA, I didn't. Some rear end somewhere didn't notice my low GPA and got me an interview.

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 13, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like that place wasn't worth working at anyway, judging from their priorities.

I've finally been getting callbacks to applications I'm sending in, so I'm gonna keep trying after this round of interviews. Thanks, guys.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

CapnBoomstick posted:

Well it's not going to hurt, that's for sure. And what were you going to do with the time that you would be working? Having a life?? Ha, you're in Chem E son, you don't get one of those!

But seriously, what are you taking next semester? If it's a full load, I would consider just focusing on course work. I think working in the lab is great because you get some work experience and at the end you have a great reference from your professor, and hell, you might even get published. But your course work comes first, so make sure you can handle your classes before you consider doing anything extra.

Heh, yeah next semester is likely to be my hardest one yet:

Mass and Energy (just now getting to take this)
P. Chem
Fluids
Materials
Linear Algebra (needed a technical elective)

I'd be working in Dr. French's lab if you happen to know anything about it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Mass and Energy (just now getting to take this)
P. Chem
Fluids

Some of my favourite subjects from the chemistry and physical chemistry parts of my degrees, excluding risk analysis. When I do computer modelling work I rely heavily on heat and mass transfer knowledge along with fluid dynamics.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Thoguh posted:

Don't do this. If a company doesn't have a cutoff the difference between a candidate with a 2.98 and a 3.00 is inconsequential. If they do have a cutoff at 3.00 then you are setting yourself up for getting an offer pulled after an interview if they ask for your transcript.

sig figs are important. If they ask for your gpa to 3 digits give them it to 3 digits. Be honest if they ask, but no sane employer is going to pull an offer for less than .05 of a GPA if they like you otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice