Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nocheez posted:

There's also the carts that cost a quarter to borrow and you get your quarter back when you return it to the rack.

Should cost $20, you'd see higher return rates.

Edit: If I was shifty, I think it's a good deal for a cart, a quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

Nocheez posted:

There's also the carts that cost a quarter to borrow and you get your quarter back when you return it to the rack.
Yeah, I love those. It's really amazing, given how loving lazy the general public is, just how motivated a single quarter will make someone to return their cart to where it actually goes.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Surely a shopping cart is worth more than a quarter for salvage, though.

...well, I guess if you factor in transportation costs you might be looking at pretty low margins, considering that any store 'sophisticated' enough to use a system like that would probably be in a city or suburb, and most salvage places are usually well away from civilization.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LonsomeSon posted:

Surely a shopping cart is worth more than a quarter for salvage, though.
The idea probably isn't to deter theft, but rather lazy people who are just gonna leave the carts lying around wherever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Canada the carts were always $1 to rent, and one day when I was like 8 years old my neighbor somehow got an old shopping cart and we thought we were going to be SO RICH if we managed to open up the compartment that the money went in, because we didn't realize that you get your loonie back when you bring back the cart. We spent all afternoon trying to open that compartment up, finally did it, and there was just one lonely dollar there :smith:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Shopping trolleys in the UK always used to be a pound to unlock when I was younger, and more and more stores dropped it as I got older, these days I hardly ever see it. A lot of the really big stores have sensor lock things on the trolley wheels that lock them up if you try and take them too far from the store.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
When I go home or to work, I see customers push those carts to wherever they live nearby. Usually poor people who can't afford a car and are too loving lazy to carry their groceries or purchase some sort of dolly/container that they can pull along home.

Then some of those carts are retrieved by some individuals with a trailer hitched to their pickup and are paid by our stores. That's probably why someone would maybe steal some carts; to have the store pay them for retrieving lost carts.

Our company has been implementing some cheap device that locks a wheel after they cross a boundary outside the parking lot, preventing lazy assholes from pushing it to their homes. Not sure if they are still doing it, but I'll take a look tomorrow when I work. From what I can tell it works, in the past I've seen people give the "WTF" look when the wheel locks up right before they get to the sidewalk.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Chicken Doodle posted:

I've just spent the last two days in a flurry of tests and phone/in person interviews for a credit card call centre (inbound, thank god) while sneaking to my retail job in the afternoons. This plus a cold from hell and no sleep meant I completely passed out for a few seconds at work today, left early, slept for an hour, then went to my final interview.

And now I get to go on vacation while the possibility of my leaving retail finally is decided. How exciting. :v:

I got the phone call today, got offered the job, and started crying from happiness right in the middle of the Rodeo at the Calgary Stampede.

Best birthday ever. :canada:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Chicken Doodle posted:

I got the phone call today, got offered the job, and started crying from happiness right in the middle of the Rodeo at the Calgary Stampede.

Congratulations sir or madam.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chicken Doodle posted:

Welcome! Please direct your hatred of your new job this way! ---->
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309332

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Didn't happen to me (thank god) but last night at our peak hour, some lady went through one of the express lanes with a huge cart full of poo poo, and had several separate orders including WIC and EBT purchases. She single-handedly managed to back up an entire checkout lane for close to 45 minutes.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

silversiren posted:

Didn't happen to me (thank god) but last night at our peak hour, some lady went through one of the express lanes with a huge cart full of poo poo, and had several separate orders including WIC and EBT purchases. She single-handedly managed to back up an entire checkout lane for close to 45 minutes.

Ugh, I wish the cashier had the balls or spotted the customer in time to turn them away. Whenever I worked the express lane my only meagre pleasure was turning away people who went hugely over the item limit.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

modeski posted:

Ugh, I wish the cashier had the balls or spotted the customer in time to turn them away. Whenever I worked the express lane my only meagre pleasure was turning away people who went hugely over the item limit.

Unfortunately we can't even do this. We can only "kindly suggest" they go to another register and even then we still risk getting in trouble if a customer complains that we offended them. Plus, I mean, 15, 20, 30 items, that's close to 10, right?

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Chicken Doodle posted:

Nice!!! :hellyeah:

Gotta say I'm jealous though :smith:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

silversiren posted:

Unfortunately we can't even do this. We can only "kindly suggest" they go to another register and even then we still risk getting in trouble if a customer complains that we offended them. Plus, I mean, 15, 20, 30 items, that's close to 10, right?

Customers used to do that all the time when I worked at [Australian Supermarket Chain]. Worst was when this situation arises:
*Two people (usually a husband + wife) show up at 12 items or less counter with 24 items*
:) Hey it looks like you've got more than 12 items, the line's pretty long, could you just go to the other lanes?
:byodame:+:byodood: WELL THERE'S TWO OF US RIGHT SO WE'VE BOTH GOT 12 ITEMS EACH HAR HAR HAR THAT SHOULD MAKE IT OKAY, RIGHT???
:) Well sure if you want me to separate the transactions
:byodame:+:byodood: WELL WHAT ABOUT OUR FUEL VOUCHER* YOU NEED TO PUT THROUGH IT ALL AT ONCE
:) Well you've got too many items, I'd suggest going to a different register.

Self-entitled, lazy gits like this are the worst.
* Edit: at the time, all transactions over $30 meant you got a voucher that would give you 4 cents per litre off fuel.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 13, 2011

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

froglet posted:

Customers used to do that all the time when I worked at [Australian Supermarket Chain]. Worst was when this situation arises:
*Two people (usually a husband + wife) show up at 12 items or less counter with 24 items*
:) Hey it looks like you've got more than 12 items, the line's pretty long, could you just go to the other lanes?
:byodame:+:byodood: WELL THERE'S TWO OF US RIGHT SO WE'VE BOTH GOT 12 ITEMS EACH HAR HAR HAR THAT SHOULD MAKE IT OKAY, RIGHT???
:byodame:+:byodood: WELL WHAT ABOUT OUR FUEL VOUCHER* YOU NEED TO PUT THROUGH IT ALL AT ONCE

* Edit: at the time, all transactions over $30 meant you got a voucher that would give you 4 cents per litre off fuel.

Isn't the fuel voucher thing still running, or are you at a different chain where it's not a thing anymore?

Also the fuel voucher is a godsend.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Pidmon posted:

It's a total false economy, though. I shop at Aldi for most of my staples and save far more than the 4c a litre would net me.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

froglet posted:

They do this too and it isn't supposed to work that way. The whole idea behind express is that it allows for fast checkout, and if you think you can checkout with a cart full of poo poo because it's your, your husband, and your 6 kids because there's 8 of you, it's not just me you're pissing off, it's all the customers behind you who followed the rules, who in turn will be angry with me because I "let them through the line".

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

modeski posted:

It's a total false economy, though. I shop at Aldi for most of my staples and save far more than the 4c a litre would net me.

Yeah most of the time that's true, discount offers and/or cards work on the basis that most people never bother to do the calculations to see if they're really saving anything.

If you're gonna bother with that kind of thing the best option is something like a cashback credit card. I have one which I pay off in full every month (so builds my credit score) and it gives me 1% on all purchases, or 2% at the specific retailer which runs it. That combined with a fuel card gets me about 4% off the fuel for my car, and I use the credit card for everything I can which brings in a surprising amount of money over the course of a year.

Testro
May 2, 2009
The people who expect you to break the rules for them are the same people who HUFF and PUFF when another customer pulls the same stunt in front of them.

The people that really baffle me are those who clock you walking towards a checkout with just one item in your hand, and step in front of you with a loaded trolley and look smug with themselves. I can't imagine being proud of myself for making a complete stranger have to stand around for 10 minutes..?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Pidmon posted:

Isn't the fuel voucher thing still running, or are you at a different chain where it's not a thing anymore?

I wasn't sure if it was still a thing because I haven't worked there for a few years now, and I don't normally use the vouchers. I checked just then and apparently vouchers are still being printed off.
Though I found an odd correllation between a persons financial planning skills when it came to grocery shopping and how anal they were about the fuel vouchers. It seemed that people who often showed up to the store without enough money to pay for all the groceries they selected were also the ones most vocal about making sure all their transactions were arranged into $30 lots or would get upset when they realised they didn't have $30. Weird.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
Here's another cart use for you.

My friend used to work at a grocery store and would have to go round up the carts that had been taken. He found one in a guys yard, overturned and covered with tinfoil. The guy was using it as a barbecue.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I witnessed an event worthy of this thread last week.

I was at the mall food court getting lunch for a coworker at Burger King. It was around 1:30pm, so the "lunch rush" was still going.

When I went up, I noticed that a few people were still waiting for their food. Also, to the right, were some tables with a bunch of teenagers. They were all in the same shirt, indicating that they were all part of some camp or church group or something. Most of them had Burger King, indicating that they had all just ordered from the establishment.

The "leader/teacher/counselor" of the group was a middle-aged woman who was in front of me in line. When I got there, it seemed like she had been waiting for a little while, because she was giving that exasperated sigh, arms crossed look around.

I'm not sure what she expected, because the Burger King only had two staff members working. One girl ran the register, and the other was in the back making food. They appeared to be both working non-stop to try to get the orders out.

I got in line right when the woman had waited long enough, and began to chew the employee out.

:witch: *exasprated sigh* How long is this going to take?
:nyd: Ma'am, we're trying to work as fast as we can.

:witch: then began asking if each person waiting had gotten their food yet.

:witch: Does he have his food? Does she have her food? Where is their food?

Normally, in this situation, a retail worker would kow-tow to the person, kissing their boots and apologizing profusely. However, this girl working had simply had enough.

:nyd: Look, ma'am, we're trying to get stuff out here. We're short-staffed, but if you want I can get a uniform for you to throw on so you can get back here and help out.

She then went back to filling orders, mumbling obscenities to herself that were loud enough that those in line could here.

:nyd: ...loving complainin.... come on there's only two of us...

The woman waiting in line got out some paper and a pen.

:witch: Miss, I'm going to need your name and your managers name now. I'm going to file a complaint.

:nyd: You can do whatever the hell you want. I'm just trying to fill orders here and help out these nice people waiting in line.

:witch: Your name and your managers name.

The girl began angrily doing all her order filling, slamming fries into boxes and whatnot, seeming to lose her temper more and more.

:nyd: My NAME is BLAH BLAH and my manager is BLAH BLAHBLAH (I forget the names).

:witch: And I'd like a refund.

The girl refunded the woman's order.

:nyd: You have a BLESSED day, Ma'am.

And then she went back to filling orders and mumbling to herself.

:nyd: Woman thinks she can tell us this. I TOLD her she could put on a uniform if she wants to come out. Jesus Christ.

As the woman was leaving...

:witch: You are a witch.

:nyd: COMPARED TO YOU? COMPARED TO YOU? MA'AM I THINK YOU LEFT YOUR BROOM BACK HERE.

I apologized for the behavior of the woman in front of me and got a free drink.

I was so sure that girl was going to be fired, but lo-and-behold she is still working at that register a week later. Go you.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Small update to my story from a couple pages back about the crazy bitch who lost someone else's dog. Remember how I said she was given $100 store credit? Well apparently she came in today and wanted to use some of it. Unfortunately, what she wanted to use it on was shipping, and it just doesn't work that way. The shipping terminals are on an entirely separate system from our regular POS terminals and it will not allow a shipment to be processed without some sort of payment, either a valid account number or the normal methods of payment. There is literally no way to discount shipping in any way, save by tying the shipment to an account that gets a discount. So basically, what she wanted to do was (aside from the fact of not being what she was originally told she would get) literally completely impossible. Like, you can yell and scream and fill out all the paperwork you want. Without some method of payment of the full price, it simply will not generate and print an Astra (shipping) label.

Well, I wasn't there for it, and I'm really pissed about it because I still have yet to see this crazy bitch, and I really wanted to see her, but unfortunately she left right before I walked in the door. Long story short, though, she started pitching a fit and throwing a tantrum and the way that it was left was that she's apparently going to call the Attorney General because "our prices are too high." :laffo: [Reminder that the only reason this lady has store credit in the first place is that she brute forced my manager into it because she was too stupid to park in the right parking lot and got towed because of her own stupid rear end. Oh, I also found out that apparently the spot she got towed from just happened to be a handicapped spot as well. Bitch is seriously lucky she got out of it without a $500 fine from the city.]

Apparently my manager called the DM immediately after and basically told him she didn't want that bitch back in her store again and she doesn't ever want to see that bitch again. He was just like, cool with me. It's so nice when you have some support from your superiors, even if they are slimeballs in general.

In other news, some lady came in today and my manager happened to be the one to wait on her, and she had a letter from her doctor or something or other, that had specific dates of a "bereavement leave" that she'd been granted from work, ie the date it officially was supposed to begin, and the date it was officially supposed to end. Well, guess what she wanted? If you guessed that she wanted us to do an OCR scan and change the dates for her because she didn't feel like going back to work when she was supposed to, well you win something or other!

Seriously, I don't consider myself to be racist, although I'm realistic enough to realize that pretty much anyone has at least somewhat "racist" tendencies/leanings/thoughts whatever the gently caress. Human nature and all that. But seriously, why is it always black people that want us to help them commit some sort of fraud? I swear to you, I've worked in this shithole for close to 4 years at this point, and never once have I seen a person of any other race try to get us to do something like that. And it happens ALL THE TIME! Wtf???

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 14, 2011

Anemone Mine
Dec 30, 2010

CUMGUARD posted:

Seriously, I don't consider myself to be racist, although I'm realistic enough to realize that pretty much anyone has at least somewhat "racist" tendencies/leanings/thoughts whatever the gently caress. Human nature and all that. But seriously, why is it always black people that want us to help them commit some sort of fraud? I swear to you, I've worked in this shithole for close to 4 years at this point, and never once have I seen a person of any other race try to get us to do something like that. And it happens ALL THE TIME! Wtf???

White people have their own computers to do it on?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CUMGUARD posted:

Seriously, I don't consider myself to be racist, although...

Didn't even take one page

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I was thinking of this thread when I read this article on The Consumerist.
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/your-complaint-is-not-important-at-kmart-if-youre-just-a-customer.html

Never say "just a customer" or you'll be complained about on the Internet by rich people. She was angry because the lines were long and they were unable refused to open registers just for her.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Yaos posted:

I was thinking of this thread when I read this article on The Consumerist.
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/your-complaint-is-not-important-at-kmart-if-youre-just-a-customer.html

Never say "just a customer" or you'll be complained about on the Internet by rich people. She was angry because the lines were long and they were unable refused to open registers just for her.

Sometimes I love consumerist but honestly the comments are all from a bunch of entitled jackasses. Behold!

idiot posted:

abandoned a cart with about $200 worth of merchandise in a Target because every line had more than a dozen customers, and they clearly had no intention of opening any more registers.

I wouldn't normally be so persnickity, but I was on crutches, and one of their employees had already soured me by giving me a dirty look and muttering something under her breath when I asked her to move out of the way because she and her co-worker friend were blocking an aisle while they chatted about their weekend plans.

idiot posted:

I would have said "JUST?" right then, dropped my stuff where I was and then said "No, FORMER customer" and left.

idiot posted:

Just a customer? I'll have you know I make $100 an hour and you will work here forever! I am better than you.

And then one pretty reasonable guy

the voice of reason posted:

These consumer posts are getting more and more crazy.

1. Getting email notifications on appointments
2. Unattended carts being put away
3. Waiting in line.

My next email to consumerist? "So I bought all this stuff at Target and they wanted me to pay for it! Who does that! Pay for it with money! Clearly they don't want my business."

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

idiot posted:

Just a customer? I'll have you know I make $100 an hour and you will work here forever! I am better than you.

:allears:

That's pretty much what's wrong with our culture as a whole, not just retail. We're just the poo poo end of the entitlement stick.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

hello clarice posted:

Sometimes I love consumerist but honestly the comments are all from a bunch of entitled jackasses. Behold!

And then one pretty reasonable guy

I don't think the guy on crutches (assuming he's not lying) is out of line. The other crap though. :psyduck:

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Rurutia posted:

I don't think the guy on crutches (assuming he's not lying) is out of line. The other crap though. :psyduck:

I copied it because I'm pretty sure what actually happened was not "HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT OUR CHATTING" but probably more like two people working and chatting at the same time and he came up and made some rear end in a top hat comment like "So are you guys just going to block the entire aisle while you talk instead of work?"

I find that more plausible than the alternative. But neither are completely out of the realm of possibility.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

hello clarice posted:

I copied it because I'm pretty sure what actually happened was not "HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT OUR CHATTING" but probably more like two people working and chatting at the same time and he came up and made some rear end in a top hat comment like "So are you guys just going to block the entire aisle while you talk instead of work?"

I find that more plausible than the alternative. But neither are completely out of the realm of possibility.

Reminds me of something. At my store we set ad on Sundays and show up 2.5 hours before opening. About an hour after we opened, myself and the manager that opened with me got lunch while it was still possible before the after-church rush and were eating in the break room when some guy walked by the open door and said something to the effect of "Wow, you haven't been open for even an hour and you're already eating?"

We've been there for four hours, dude, and it's none of your loving business anyway. Don't poke your head through "Employees Only" doors and be an obnoxious dickhole.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

Don't poke your head through "Employees Only" doors and be an obnoxious dickhole.
When I come in each morning, I unlock the front door, but leave all the chairs upside-down on the counter (we try to make it look Genius Bar-esque, so picture that somewhat) and leave all of the lights off. So, if you don't try the door, we look exactly like the store to our right which is closed and completely unlike the store to our left which is normally open by then.

Tuesday, someone walked in 40 minutes before our clearly-posted hours (at head height on the door) and I explained that we aren't open yet but the door is unlocked so we can receive our deliveries. I even said "there's a Subway which has breakfast just a couple of doors down, or a coffee shop a little farther down the road if you want to grab something and then come back. I should be able to help you by around a quarter-til." My reward for being helpful, suggesting some things to occupy the intervening time, and still offering to serve him 15 minutes before our posted hours?

:byodood: "WELL THAT'S WHAT YOU MORONS GET FOR UNLOCKING YOUR DOOR. ANYONE CAN JUST WALK RIGHT IN, THERE'S NOTHING SAYING NOT TO."

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

A pacific northwest retail chain is being sued by the government because store managers wouldn't stop a customer from sexually harassing female employees.

The comments posted about the news story are obviously by people who have never had to work a day of retail in their life. Why yes, the ladies obviously only complained because they're greedy and not because, you know, they were being groped by a sex offender that camped out by the store's timeclock to grope ladies.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Anemone Mine posted:

White people have their own computers to do it on?
:lol:

greazeball posted:

Didn't even take one page
I'm assuming you're snidely commenting on my "not racist but..." statement. I'll agree with you, I probably should have just left that whole paragraph out. I'm not going to get all defensive here because it's extremely cliche and no one believes anyone who says this kind of poo poo anyway, but it's not even the "Oh, I have a black friend so I'm not racist" thing with me. I actually do have lots of black friends, and have for most of my life. My coworkers are probably about 70% black and out of the customers I deal with each day, probably a good 50-60% of them are black. This is in a city with about a 25% African American population, so while those aren't huge numbers, they're definitely disproportionate. I couldn't have survived there if I were truly racist. You just can't. The only reason I even mentioned "I'm not racist but..." is because if I started talking about black people like that, then people are going to jump all over me for being racist. All I was saying is that the phenomenon of people wanting us to use OCR software to help them commit fraud, either against their work or the government, happens at least once a week, oftentimes much more. In almost four years of working some place, that adds up to a lot of instances. And I have literally never had a white person, an Asian person, a Middle Eastern person, or anyone of any other race or ethnicity ask for that kind of thing.

Point being, I should have just left the whole paragraph out, but the reality of the situation isn't exactly how it came off in my post. It's more one of those things where it's just like "Goddammit, just give me a loving counterexample already so I don't feel like such a piece of poo poo whenever I ponder this whole thing."

edit: Had something pretty funny happen today. Didn't have anything to do with our store itself, but still was pretty amusing. We had a delivery driver show up today to pick up a job we were running for another store, and we'd had to rerun it after it had already been done because my coworker was a dumbass and put the paper in the machine upside down. While the driver was hanging around waiting for the job to finish, just shooting the poo poo, he's like "Oh poo poo, the cops are gettin someone!" So I looked out the window and there was a police car parked across the road. Now, being downtown, there's benches all along the sidewalks, and there was some dude sitting on the bench across the street from us that must have just been completely SHITFACED. (This was at like 2pm btw.) There was another guy there with him trying to help him stand up, and he was just staggering and almost falling down, etc. I see that he's also got crutches, so I figure well maybe he's not that drunk, and his leg's just hosed up or something. The cops talked to them for awhile and then left. It quickly became clear, though, that he was, in fact, that drunk. He kept trying to stand up and was falling down with his pants halfway down his rear end, and the whole thing was seriously like something out of a movie. My AM went across the street an hour or so later to go to Subway, and he was still there, and we saw him talking to the AM as he walked by. When he came back, we asked him what they talked about, and he said the guy told him that the only reason he (my AM) is able to walk down the streets is because he (the drunk) was in the military and shot a shitload of towelheads (his words, not mine.) Yeah, dude actually stayed on that same bench until probably close to 5:30. Sometimes you could tell he was just passed out, other times he would try to stand up and then fall down again. It was pretty hosed up, but the whole thing just looked so funny from across the street that we were all cracking up.

Fake edit: The drunk was white, in case that matters!

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 15, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Vice President posted:

A pacific northwest retail chain is being sued by the government because store managers wouldn't stop a customer from sexually harassing female employees.

The comments posted about the news story are obviously by people who have never had to work a day of retail in their life. Why yes, the ladies obviously only complained because they're greedy and not because, you know, they were being groped by a sex offender that camped out by the store's timeclock to grope ladies.

Those comments are infuriating, not to mention inconsistent. Apparently the store doing something to protect these women would have been showing a lack of compassion for the elderly, so they should have... called the cops on him instead?

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

Sonic Dude posted:

When I come in each morning, I unlock the front door, but leave all the chairs upside-down on the counter (we try to make it look Genius Bar-esque, so picture that somewhat) and leave all of the lights off. So, if you don't try the door, we look exactly like the store to our right which is closed and completely unlike the store to our left which is normally open by then.

Tuesday, someone walked in 40 minutes before our clearly-posted hours (at head height on the door) and I explained that we aren't open yet but the door is unlocked so we can receive our deliveries. I even said "there's a Subway which has breakfast just a couple of doors down, or a coffee shop a little farther down the road if you want to grab something and then come back. I should be able to help you by around a quarter-til." My reward for being helpful, suggesting some things to occupy the intervening time, and still offering to serve him 15 minutes before our posted hours?

:byodood: "WELL THAT'S WHAT YOU MORONS GET FOR UNLOCKING YOUR DOOR. ANYONE CAN JUST WALK RIGHT IN, THERE'S NOTHING SAYING NOT TO."

Dude probably played too many video games. Did he smash your pots and chairs looking for change too?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Volcano posted:

Those comments are infuriating, not to mention inconsistent. Apparently the store doing something to protect these women would have been showing a lack of compassion for the elderly, so they should have... called the cops on him instead?

Never, ever read comments on a news story. Ever.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Today a lady tried to pay for her order with a Postal Money Order, which I wasn't even sure existed until that moment. She pulled it out of her purse, crumpled up of course because she is literally a five year old boy who keeps worms in his pockets, and said "I can use this no problem right? It's legal tender." (no it's not) I love when people "ask" questions like that. Well I don't know about you guys in other countries or states but here in NY and at my store it's a hassle to even cash a money order made out to yourself at our Customer Service desk (not impossible, just a pain) let alone use it as cash at a register.

Of course after I told her I was sorry and that I couldn't take it, she said she'd just shop elsewhere from now on, I guess in a place that accepts postal money orders and shiny beads as currency and takes holidays off. Plenty of other customers caught this interaction and once she was out of earshot the next in line graciously said all the snarky things that I had to keep bottled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I'd hate to be the employee who arrived to find this, but you have to admire the effort it took:

And for all those who get the "Do you work here?" question, it could be worse...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXxkyftpxs