Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The roland is usually the best/cheapest way to go when you don't want to/can't get something like graphtech ghost saddles and a midi hexpander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

baka kaba posted:

You need to mute, not palm mute - you use both hands. Obsoive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmM83KeP28

Thanks, that clears things up a lot! That technique is kind of a pain in the rear end - do you really do this every time you're not full on strumming?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

muike posted:

The roland is usually the best/cheapest way to go when you don't want to/can't get something like graphtech ghost saddles and a midi hexpander.

Yeah, the graphtech stuff looks a little too involved for what I'm looking for. I'd never use the midi setup live, in any case, so I think the Roland is a better fit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fugue Stater posted:

Thanks, that clears things up a lot! That technique is kind of a pain in the rear end - do you really do this every time you're not full on strumming?

I pretty much do, yeah - honestly I barely think about it, my picking hand basically rests on the strings, except for the one I'm playing, and my fretting hand is kinda relaxed enough that a finger somewhere is laying down against the higher strings.

It's like your hands are surrounding the strings you want to play - when you fret a string with your fingertip, the rest of your hand is over the higher strings, so you just let it touch. With your picking hand, you're picking a string and your hand is over the lower strings, so you just let it touch them. As you fret and pick other strings your hands naturally move to where they're surrounding the string you want to play.

It might be easier for me because I was used to my picking hand being close to the bridge, and using a claw grip that put my fretting fingers close to the strings, so it was more like learning to let them sit down and keep the strings quiet. And I'm not a shredder, so someone might have a better technique for muting with fast fingerwork - but this really helps with high gain. Controlling things so only a single note is ringing out at any time really cleans things up

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I realized I'd have a bit more money coming in and decided I'd go for an AL-3000, but I'm actually having trouble deciding between a standard scale and guitar with a 27" neck. I have fairly big hands so I don't think it'll be any trouble adjusting, but (assuming standard tuning on both) do they sound any different? What kind of difference do the tenser strings make for playability and feel?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Electric Pope posted:

I realized I'd have a bit more money coming in and decided I'd go for an AL-3000, but I'm actually having trouble deciding between a standard scale and guitar with a 27" neck. I have fairly big hands so I don't think it'll be any trouble adjusting, but (assuming standard tuning on both) do they sound any different? What kind of difference do the tenser strings make for playability and feel?

I'd avoid the 27" scale unless you know that you're going to be playing low tunings. I can palm a basketball and my 25.5" scale guitar is a little tough for some of the stretches I can play on my Agile 2800. This is a pretty opinion based. No advice is going to replace getting your hands on a few different scale lengths to see how they feel.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Check out my pawnshop score:

It's an Antoria, which means it's actually a lawsuit-era Ibanez 2397 Model sold under the Antoria brand for export to the UK. Tracked the serial number down to 1974. Those are real low-impedance pickups instead of single coils in fancy covers, but doesn't have any of the fancy preamps like a Les Paul Recording unfortunately.

Needs a lot of work on the action to make it playable but the rest of it is in perfect condition, I think it's been badly adjusted in the past and then put away in the loft for twenty years so the truss has suffered a bit but my luthier says it's fixable. Should be back out of the shop next week, touch wood.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
So, I broke my amp :( It’s a VOX VT30 I have had for 2 years or so. I never use headphones but Friday night I plugged in headphones to play a bit. When I unplugged them no sound came out of the speaker. I found some forum posts that said use electrical contact cleaner and a headphone jack inserted and removed 10 - 15 times or so. Tried it, did not work. Next day I take the thing apart and see that the headphone jack contacts that are soldered are totally loose and or cold soldered. Bummer. So I try to resolder them with no success. Then I tried to just bypass the headphone jack by cutting splicing wires and while I got some sound out of the amp it’s totally jacked up. I thought about paying to have it fixed, but I am sure it would be 100+ dollars. Figures, about a year ago I got a nice acoustic and have mostly been playing that. Picked my electric back up a month or so ago and started to really get back into it, trying to learn more pentatonic scale positions and actually try to start improvising / soloing with some simple blues licks, now this.

So, time for a new amp. I am still pretty much a beginner, jam some cords / power cords and play a few scales. Have a Les Paul clone, Agile 3100. I decided I would like a pure tube low watt practice amp this time, something simple but nice. I spent a few hours reading all about them, back and forth on a few then got it down to the Vox AC4TV and Bugera V5. I ended up ordering a factory refurbed AC4TV from guitarcenter online for $200, hope I made the right choice. I figure I still wanted at least a 10” speaker so I don’t loose the “this is a real electric guitar” sound I am used to. Also the Vox looked cooler.

Truth be told I was always pretty overwhelmed by all the settings on the VT30 and when I did find a good tone my kids (toddlers) would just move all the knobs and mess it up anyhow.

I am looking forward to just three knobs, next maybe a pedal or new pups later on. Want my new toy, can’t get here soon enough. I tried to use the amp mode in Rocksmith but it sucks balls compared to a real amp.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

So I've been getting back into practicing guitar, but encountering a problem with my pinky finger that got me to stop playing the guitar in the first place. The problem is that I cannot comfortably curl my pinky finger; any time I try to fret with my pinky lower than the D string, it does a 'bridging' sort of thing where my first joint bends, but my middle joint straightens and locks.

It's not really AWFUL, but it does ache a little bit after a while and it really affects my dexterity and ability to fret quickly and accurately using my pinky finger. I took a couple of pictures so I could maybe get some advice.

This is with the middle joint bridging; I look pretty tense in the hand in this picture to my eyes, but it's actually a pretty relaxed grip.

This is me managing to curl my pinky up on the low E, but I took the picture from above so you can see what I have to do to my grip to get it; I have to roll my thumb over onto its side and move my arm/wrist into a different position to do it. It's not just a simple matter of curling the finger either, it kinda takes special placement.

So I was wondering if this is a common problem, or if there's something hosed with my pinky joint.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I have a similar thing where the first knuckle of my pinky will lock. Its not so bad for melodic runs but can gently caress up chord fingerings for me sometimes. I haven't really consciously found a way to stop it, just noticed it doesn't happen so much when playing material that I've practiced to the point where I'm sick of it and my hands just know where to go. The only annoying part about it for me is if I'm trying to improvise, my pinky will lock itself into a weird position quite frequently, so I have to find a way around it and just... not use it when it starts to do that.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I have a similar thing where the first knuckle of my pinky will lock. Its not so bad for melodic runs but can gently caress up chord fingerings for me sometimes. I haven't really consciously found a way to stop it, just noticed it doesn't happen so much when playing material that I've practiced to the point where I'm sick of it and my hands just know where to go. The only annoying part about it for me is if I'm trying to improvise, my pinky will lock itself into a weird position quite frequently, so I have to find a way around it and just... not use it when it starts to do that.

I can fret with it locking at the second joint and have gotten some pretty quick pentatonic runs doing so, but it just feels so inefficient and potentially damaging. I'd really like to find out if someone has beaten it with specific exercises or something.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I feel like an idiot asking this, because it's probably just an overdrive pedal, but I'm curious how to get this cheesie eighties rock sound. I've just never found myself listening to this sort of music.

It would be hilarious to cover these sorts of bands. I'd probably get a little more dextrous when it comes to fretting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vn-a_yqH4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYZmP9FpMlc

I thought this might be more appropriate in the "how do I recreate this sound" thread, but they seem more oriented towards the far more technical aspects of replicating a particular part of a production.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I'm looking at buying another guitar (my first two are nothing to write home about), and the problem is that I'm unsure what to do. Basically, I want an electric 12-string, and I've got, like, pocket change to my name. Rondo/Agile has a couple, one of which I'm interested in (the one that's not a Les Paul copy), Danelectro apparently has one that's cheap but is an absolute bastard to work on (remove the neck for truss rod adjustments? Really?), and everything else I've seen sells for approximately eight fucktillion dollars.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I feel like an idiot asking this, because it's probably just an overdrive pedal, but I'm curious how to get this cheesie eighties rock sound. I've just never found myself listening to this sort of music.

It would be hilarious to cover these sorts of bands. I'd probably get a little more dextrous when it comes to fretting too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vn-a_yqH4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYZmP9FpMlc

I thought this might be more appropriate in the "how do I recreate this sound" thread, but they seem more oriented towards the far more technical aspects of replicating a particular part of a production.

With 80s hair guitar, I tend to think tube screamers, rats and solid state amps, but there's probably some hesher goon who knows this poo poo way better than I do.

e: See?

hexwren fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 9, 2012

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Depends on which musician you're trying to emulate. From a quick glance 80's hair metal, "all sounds the same" but most of the better players of that era had very, very different setups with a night and day difference when compared with each other. It can also get quite expensive depending on who you're trying to model.

That said, there's definitely a recurring pattern if you look at their rigs. Everyone had a cheap and cheerful delay unit for subtle slap-back. Phase shifters became comically overused in solos thanks to a certain dutch boy, as did solos and the occasionally well thought out melody being riddled with two hand tapping licks.

The absolute basics is to have a guitar with a fairly high output pickup in the bridge, use that almost exclusively and take advantage of your volume/tone controls if you miss having a neck/middle pickup. They may have been mocked for being incredibly stylish in dress sense and a cheery bunch of stage instead of shoe-gazing for three hours, but hair metal players were loving masters of their instruments. One pickup, that's all you get.

Get yourself a delay pedal if you don't have one. Nothing fancy, just something that will let you have a decent but not too subtle, slap-back delay. It'll help give the illusion of thickening out the sound without having to spend an eye watering amount of money.*

A phase shifter is optional, even though it became comically overused its not entirely necessary, its just there to make tapping licks and some hooks a little more tasty.

Now, amplifier. Valve, its all valve or go home. For an authentic sound do not get heavy handed and dial the gain all the way up. Hold off on that gain knob and increase the amp's volume, get it to the point where it sounds like its almost dying and then back it off a bit. Once your there, you then need to rely on your guitars volume pot to keep it under control. For 80's hair metal you aren't playing the guitar, you're playing an out of control amp and using the guitar like a pair of reigns while trying to break in a stallion, and its batshit insane levels of fun. In terms of EQ settings that can depend entirely on your amp, the room your in and the band setup. But its worth noting that you'll want to keep a fairly high amount of treble in order to accent dynamics of your playing for things like pick slides, heavy handed alternate picking, and really getting pinch harmonics to squeal like a pig.

*The expensive option will help you get that signature, wide sounding guitar that cropped up in the mid eighties. This is not a chorus effect. Harmonizer unites. They're not cheap, and you need a fairly large rig to make the most of them. Two amps, three cabinets. Have the harmonizer in the effects loop for amp 1, hooked up to two separate cabinets. Use a pitch shifter in order to double your guitar. Signal A (delayed 250ms) to the left cabinet, signal B detuned (delayed 500ms) and sent to the right cabinet. Amp 2 you leave as a completely dry signal, with the cab in the middle of the setup. Its expensive, a bitch to find the space for, but nothing else will emulate that sound.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Wow! Thanks a lot, man! I really appreciate you writing that up for me.

The first reissue of this guitar is what I'm working with at the moment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelectro_Dano_Pro

It might be a little tough to get to those higher notes, but I'm not far enough along to feel constricted by it.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 9, 2012

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

One more thing I forgot is to ensure there's a moderate amount of reverb, nothing too in your face but like the slap-back delay its there to help give your overall tone a bit more body and thicken out the sound.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Seeking some more advice about fingerpicking. I can fingerpick well but only in a slow fashion. Anyone have any good tutorials for learning to pick at this sort of speed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rajc9o3Nqjc

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.graphtech.com/news.html?ID=99
http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=22

Hey, check this out. TUSQ picks. Agreed would be fascinated by these.

ETA: A Dano with the lipsticks? Woah. One other common feature is the Superstrat... which notably had a humbucker at the bridge. (Or the Explorer or other pointy object, same result.) Not saying you can't do it with the Dano, but if you've got something else in your guitarsenal, it might be prudent.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I need to get my hands on some of those, they probably sound pretty great.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.com/Blue-Monday-Sale-Items_c_432.html

Guitar Fetish has a sale going. Nothing too spectacular.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hello... the Brightons are on sale. EXACTLY what I need.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That might be a lot more useful to me if I didn't just drop 160 on some new pickups. Then again, they probably don't really have anything that's quite my style.

Anybody here work with just a single volume on their guitar? I like having my tone knob, but I hate the position of my volume pot. Concentric pots are too tall for me, so I might just try going with a single volume.

Also, does anybody here have any experience with 550k pots? I wanna try giving them a shot, it's probably not that much of a difference, but it seems like it's worth trying.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm not telling you to buy anything, I'm just a little curious about how GFS wouldn't have something your style. They got jazz pickups that go on the neck of steelstring acoustics, they got bass pickups, they got every freaking thing except a railhammer style.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.

What happens if you put a rail pickup under a 7 or 8 string guitar? Shouldn't it work just fine?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Technically yes but they're just not wide enough to pick up all the strings evenly.

Anyway, it's not that there's nothing there I like, it's that they didn't have anything that would really give me what I wanted this time around. The closest probably would've been the EVH set though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

muike posted:

I need to get my hands on some of those, they probably sound pretty great.

They sent me one of those free with the nut I ordered recently.

It's pretty stiff for as thin as it is. I'd say it's somewhere between .85 and 1.0mm. It's way stiffer than the 1.0mm nylons I tend to stick with. Now that I try it against a few different common thicknesses and materials, it's nearly the most flex resistant pick I have, next to a 2.0mm Big Stubby. Definitely less flex than a standard Jazz III.

The material feels like it's more brittle than it is, and heavy chord strumming spread a fine white dust under the strings on my black AL2K. Sonically, they sound like dense ceramic or lens grade plastic, if you drop them on a table. Playing sounds brighter than nylon or celluloid to me, and like you get more indivudual string definition on chords.

For someone like me, who's still a beginner, and admittedly heavy handed with a pick, it's not my favorite. Nylons are definitely more forgiving. If you like using a light touch, and getting more articulated string response, I think they would be more suited to that style.

I loving love the nut, though.

vv I've settled on 1.0mm max grips after trying a bunch of different ones. Love'em.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 10, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Not too interested if they're going to be messy, then. I'll stick with my maxgrips.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It seems like everybody is all about the super hi-tech plastics these days, but to tell you the truth, I'm a lot more interested in wood. But I can't find anyone who makes guitar picks out of sustainable, preferably :911: wood, does anyone have an inside line? I found one pick on eBay made of Texas ebony, and it looks like there are more on Etsy. I'm a little surprised that the green neo-hippie localvore trend hasn't created a market for sustainable wood picks, I think there's money to be made there.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

It seems like everybody is all about the super hi-tech plastics these days, but to tell you the truth, I'm a lot more interested in wood. But I can't find anyone who makes guitar picks out of sustainable, preferably :911: wood, does anyone have an inside line? I found one pick on eBay made of Texas ebony, and it looks like there are more on Etsy. I'm a little surprised that the green neo-hippie localvore trend hasn't created a market for sustainable wood picks, I think there's money to be made there.

I would think that steel strings would destroy them so fast that they just wouldn't be worth the cost.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I put enough wear on my plastic picks as is. I have a feeling that even hardened artisanal wood picks would get destroyed too fast to be worth it unless they were particularly cheap to begin with.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

HollisBrown posted:

I would think that steel strings would destroy them so fast that they just wouldn't be worth the cost.

Yeah, you definitely go through them fast if they're not made from something ridiculously tough like lignum vitae.

I figure if some enterprising soul started up business recycling wood, they could keep costs down, as well as not adding to the environmental problem of making a lot of non-biodegradable plastics (in addition to whatever possibly nasty byproducts that might also be produced).

Also there's that guy who's claiming he can make and sell a $9 cardboard bicycle, so who knows - it would be pretty sweet to have a super hi-tech cardboard pick.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

I picked up a wooden pick for the first time from the guitar store I teach at about a week ago. I expected rapid wearing and a slippery surface and yet it's now my go-to pick. I find it very easy to hold and it doesn't feel cheap (its not at 2.50 each, but mine was free... probably the best thing about teaching guitar).

Grabbed a pick made of an animals horn too, but I haven't used it yet.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The most important part of a pick to me is size and shape, I've never really thought the material they're made of was important enough for me to sacrifice comfort.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Can anyone tell me anything about Cort J. Triggs guitars? I saw a pretty cheap one on my local version of eBay and it looks awesome.

edit: Welp. If anyone was going to scream DON'T BUY THAT POS!!! it's too late, I'm picking it up tomorrow. I have really bad impulse control.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 13, 2012

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

What the pick is actually made of is probably most important to me. The shape matters too of course, but if I'm stuck using a pick that's too hard or soft - or worse yet has an awkward grip on it, then I can't seem to hold the thing consistently.

That being said there are some awkward shapes out there.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for amps around $1200 or less?

I had a Peavey modeling amp but it's never really gotten a good, non-distorted sound out of it, so I sold that and my alto sax for a new one, but I'm not sure what I want yet.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

$1200? You could probably get a Twin Reverb for that kind of money.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What kind of amp do you want? I mean, the only thing I'd tell you to get is either a 6505 or a 5150 III and it's not like those are very versatile amps.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to get an effects processor/amp modeler/whatever they're called nowadays; I've picked up guitar again and am playing in a band with friends as well as writing poo poo, and I'd like something more concert-usable than my iPad or a laptop(no way to toggle. I need something with a wide variety of sounds/effects/tweaks, and I need an expression pedal on the device. Is there anything you guys can recommend around $200ish? I don't really have the freedom to go to a shop and try stuff out because most shops don't have them here, and I'm basically ordering one to pick up when visit home later.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Could get pretty much any variety of used Line6 POD at that price, save for an HD500, maybe look into the podx3 or whatever the floor version of it is. That's really the best you can get for 200. The boss GTs or whatever they're called aren't bad either but Line6 gear is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

muike posted:

Could get pretty much any variety of used Line6 POD at that price, save for an HD500, maybe look into the podx3 or whatever the floor version of it is. That's really the best you can get for 200. The boss GTs or whatever they're called aren't bad either but Line6 gear is solid.

I have a Boss GT-6 (ancient) and a POD HD bean. The POD amp models sound a lot better, and it is a lot more configurable, but it is a huge pain in the rear end to use compared to the Boss unit. Maybe the floor models are less of a hassle. If I had to choose, I would dump the POD.