Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
As soon as I got an eReader I stopped buying regular books. And I now buy a lot more books.

If I can't get something on my eReader I will literally just go to the library because I've eliminated the bookshelf from my home.

So yeah it's easy to see how ebooks have become so popular and will continue to become more popular.

deety posted:

I like to read fluff, but there's still often a large quality difference between self-published genre fluff and the books that have gone through a traditional editing and publishing process.

Reviews aren't reliable to me unless they're from reviewers that I follow regularly and trust. I've come across too many obvious sockpuppet reviews or sites where self-published authors are openly pushing review or recommendation chains for promoting their work. Even the legit reviews are probably going to be from people who have different taste than I do.

The limiting factor on my reading tends to be time rather than money. If a bestselling e-book costs more than I want to pay then I get it from the library instead, but I'd still rather pay more for a smoother reading experience. And considering how long my to-read list is, there's no reason for me to waste time separating the few reasonably-priced self-published gems from the massive pile of cheap poo poo that's not worth it at any price.
I say there's no difference.

If a work has obvious sockpuppet reviews, don't buy it. If legit reviews are from people that don't have the same tastes as you, don't buy it. This is how reviews work: you read a quality review that mentions WHY the person liked the product, and if it matches what you're looking for in a product, you buy it.

If you have a backlog, stop looking for new books. Read your backlog.

If you want to find books anyway, you can use sites like Goodreads and search by tags. Something look good? Check the rating. High rating? Read some reviews.

It's not that hard to find good books. It's just hard to read all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm a heavy Goodreads user already. It's the main reason my to-read list is as long as it is, but thanks for the suggestion.

It's great if you find value or entertainment in them, but I really did try to give self-published books a fair shake at one time and my experience was that 90% of them were eye-bleedingly awful. Maybe that makes me too picky, but spending more time with reviews and samples isn't going to change my mind when there's so much else available.

FAT DICK RAY
Aug 21, 2010

So they'd recorded a result from one of the times it worked. It was that recorded result that was displayed at the end of each demo.
Hey guys, I made a public domain/free books thread in TBB. I also included a list of good free books and where to get them.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Hu guys. The screen on my kindle 3 is shot. Does anyone know where to get replacement parts (It's one i kept after they sent me a new one) i would like to fix and give it to my girlfriend if i can find reasonably priced parts.

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
as far as i know they dont officially sell parts, your best bet is buying another broken one and cannibalizing it probably

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

Hu guys. The screen on my kindle 3 is shot. Does anyone know where to get replacement parts (It's one i kept after they sent me a new one) i would like to fix and give it to my girlfriend if i can find reasonably priced parts.

Are you sure you're not supposed to send it back? When mine broke, I had to send back the old one within 30 days or be charged for the replacement.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah you're meant to send it back. Otherwise what's to stop me ringing up, tell them the screen is hosed on my working Kindle, and then selling it?

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Yeah i know. but this is my 3rd kindle already (and i don't abuse them its in an amazon lighted cover inside my messenger bag). When i got my first replacement i never got around to sending it and they never brought up the issue. This one i will send back anyway in case something else breaks and they take issue with me collecting kindle's. Amazon costumer support is great and i love the kindle but these things are flimsy.

On a more practical note. Does anyone know how i can copy the contents from one kindle to the other while keeping the collections intact?

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 28, 2011

commish
Sep 17, 2009

I can't believe so many Kindles get damaged.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I see a shocking amount of them on the subways with no case. So I believe it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got mine in a crappy £5 neoprene pouch and it goes everywhere with me in my bag. Admittedly I've only had it a few months but so far it's in mint condition.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Hey, I couldn't control my inner speculator anymore and wanted to ask about trade magazines/oversized paperbacks.

In light of the color Triton e-ink screens that are coming soon, do you think we'll start to see more full-color, oversized content for the next version of the Kindle DX? I cleaned out my bookshelves of novels when I got my Kindle 3 and I would love to do the same with the majority of my magazines and oversized trade paperbacks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon is making a color tablet iPad competitor, I don't think they are using color e-ink any time soon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

just_a_guy posted:

The screen is the single most expensive part of the Kindle. I don't think you're going to be able to find a cheap replacement, and last I heard it's a real bitch to replace the screen.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

commish posted:

People treat them like books instead of really fragile tablets. Thus, lots of people break 'em.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

commish posted:

The screens are drat fragile on all readers. It also doesn't help that most readers are now sold with no cover included and people don't buy a cover.
From what I heard Sony's readers are bit more resilient because of aluminum hull instead of plastic everyone else has - cant crack the screen by deforming hull.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

commish posted:

I said mine broke but it wasn't actually damaged. It just died overnight while lying on a table, inside the official cover. I literally read until I went to sleep, picked it up in the morning, turned the page once, and it died forever, stuck on that page with some weird artifacts on the screen. And no it didn't need a reboot, I'm not retarded.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Interesting article on MacRumors this morning about Apple (rumored to) acquire Barnes & Noble. No credible source, but would be interesting if it happened. Wonder what would happen to the nook.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Interesting article on MacRumors this morning about Apple (rumored to) acquire Barnes & Noble. No credible source, but would be interesting if it happened. Wonder what would happen to the nook.

I guess its store would merge with the terrible Apple store and Apple would finally be able to sell some ebooks, but they've already ruined the pricing model for consumers so I can't imagine they could damage it any more than they have already.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Never... ever.. ever underestimate the chances of loving up something worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ara posted:

I guess its store would merge with the terrible Apple store and Apple would finally be able to sell some ebooks, but they've already ruined the pricing model for consumers so I can't imagine they could damage it any more than they have already.

Except that they would pretty much eliminate the ability to buy physical books. Barnes and Noble is the last B&M book store.

Not that I take much stock in the rumor anyways. There's not much reason for Apple to do this. The real estate isn't a good match and they already have major deals with publishers. The ONLY reason would be to squash competition, but I don't see them spending that kind of money on B&N to do so.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

bull3964 posted:

Except that they would pretty much eliminate the ability to buy physical books. Barnes and Noble is the last B&M book store.

Not that I take much stock in the rumor anyways. There's not much reason for Apple to do this. The real estate isn't a good match and they already have major deals with publishers. The ONLY reason would be to squash competition, but I don't see them spending that kind of money on B&N to do so.
Are you kidding? They'd love to be able to rule the market in eReaders as well as tablets. They could strike deals to get the latest tech and push out new eReaders faster than Amazon. It's what they do with everything else.

I don't really believe it, but it's still believable.

That said I'd probably switch over to the Kindle if Apple acquired the Nook just because I don't need a "premium" eReader and Apple only sells premium products.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think apple would ever put out a dedicated eInk ereader. That's really not their bag.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

bull3964 posted:

I don't think apple would ever put out a dedicated eInk ereader. That's really not their bag.
B&N has shown you can sell both an eInk reader and an LCD reader, so it does make a sort of sense. It baffles me that there's a market for reading books on an LCD device, but there IS so Apple wouldn't really be screwing themselves over if they had an eInk reader.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see Apple releasing new products that don't utilize everything from the iTunes store. They want you to rent/buy tv shows, movies, apps, songs, and games. A dedicated e-reader can't use all that.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

:sigh:

My Kindle 3's screen has a tiny, tiny scratch on it. I left it open and on the couch yesterday for a bit, and I think the cat might've walked across it and caught a claw on it or something. I'm normally super careful with it (it has a lighted case that's on it all the time), I just wasn't thinking.

It's about an inch long, very thin, and towards the bottom, but it's bugging the crap out of me. Anyone know of a way to fix it? I know people would say "ignore it", but I'm somewhat OCD about such things. :(

commish
Sep 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Phones weren't really their bag, either.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't see Apple releasing new products that don't utilize everything from the iTunes store. They want you to rent/buy tv shows, movies, apps, songs, and games. A dedicated e-reader can't use all that.
Who the hell knows what an Apple eReader could do. If anyone's going to find a way to sell you extra poo poo on a device it's Apple.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Quantify! posted:

Who the hell knows what an Apple eReader could do. If anyone's going to find a way to sell you extra poo poo on a device it's Apple.

He said eink reader. There isn't much more they can sell on one besides books.

-edit I guess they could try to tie the iTunes store to it but audio is a big battery drain compared to books and who would want to listen to music through an ereader.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 29, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Sporadic posted:

He said eink reader. There isn't much more they can sell on one besides books.
Apple hires geniuses to figure these things out.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Apple has an ereader in the iPad. Why would they fragment that device line with a dedicated reading device? Why the gently caress would they buy B&N? This conversation is dumb.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Apple has an ereader in the iPad. Why would they fragment that device line with a dedicated reading device? Why the gently caress would they buy B&N? This conversation is dumb.
I explained exactly why they wouldn't be doing this earlier, but to reiterate - the markets for LCD readers and eInk readers are largely separate. People want to read on one or the other, and in some circumstances both. Indeed, you might own an iPad for games and internet browsing and then get an eInk reader for books... and that eReader would probably be the Nook because Apple would find a way to make it sync up with your iDevices in a novel and useful way like they always do.

Also, the argument you are using (that Apple would compete with itself by selling two devices used to read books) can also be used against B&N. They want to sell physical books in physical stores, but are really pushing a product that eliminates forever the possibility of a consumer buying those physical books in physical stores.

Nook + iPad makes a lot more sense than Nook + physical books. I still don't think it's likely but it would be interesting to see what Apple would do with an eReader.

edit to add a point: Apple already sells many devices that overlap in function. The iPad is just a bigger iPod, and the phone is just an iPod that can make calls. And yet people buy all three of them and continue to buy hardware updates on a regular basis. Why wouldn't there be room in that family for an eInk reader?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Only reason I can think of why Apple would buy B&N is so they can grab Nook's 25% of the ebooks market.

Fold B&N's ebook market into theirs (making Apple the only real competitor to Amazon), keep the Nook after Apple'ing the design/name, kill the Nook Color, leveraging the college bookstores (that's a big key I think alot of people are overlooking), slowly shut down the majority of the normal B&N retail stores.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 30, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I love my Kindle but the thought of all the brick and mortar stores shutting down is depressing as gently caress. I can't imagine not being able to go browse through real, physical books.

Yeah, there's libraries I suppose (for now, anyway). But still.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I don't see Steve Jobs really interested in getting heavily into any book market, e or otherwise. Remember this fun quote from him about the Kindle (pre-iPad release and iBookstore):

quote:

It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore. Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also that whole thing where Apple won't even let you use iBooks on OS X. When they only allow you to read them on an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad (or, hilariously, printed out from on of those devices) it seems a bit silly to expect them to continue one of the nook store's strengths. Namely, that you can use them on a nook but also on most kinds of computers, tablets, and phones.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fordan posted:

I don't see Steve Jobs really interested in getting heavily into any book market, e or otherwise. Remember this fun quote from him about the Kindle (pre-iPad release and iBookstore):

I'm struggling to figure out exactly how that kind of logic holds up to any kind of reasoning. It's such a bizarre kind of tunnel vision from a company that can make some really inspired design decisions.

The way I see iBooks is the way I saw Blockbuster trying to break into the streaming video market - if you're rushing to copy good businesses instead of innovating, you've already lost.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Does anyone have experience hacking their Kindle 2 to use the Kindle 3 firmware? My girlfriend has the 3rd edition Kindle and I'm jealous of the little things her kindle's OS has, like page numbers instead of just locations and the ability to not constantly have the book's title at the top while you read.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I tried it; it didn't work but it didn't hurt the kindle either. Worth a shot since I probably just screwed something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When the hell is Kindle For The Web coming out? I need to be able to read at work. :mad: