Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Where did you order?

eBay seller redcap or red-cap. I forget his exact name. My monitor arrived a few hours before my adapter I ordered from mono price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I think its a Dell thing, considering the Korean IPSs and Apple CDs don't come with it.

It's a Dell, HP, NEC, Eizo, and Asus then I guess.

It's definitely LG's fault seeing as they don't seem to offer anything in between their ultra grainy AG coating and a glossy coating, which hopefully they'll correct soon enough.

Going from a HP ZR24w to one of the 27" 2560x1440 glossy displays was really eye opening and there's absolutely no way I could ever go back to one of those awful coatings.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Priam posted:

It's a Dell, HP, NEC, Eizo, and Asus then I guess.

It's definitely LG's fault seeing as they don't seem to offer anything in between their ultra grainy AG coating and a glossy coating, which hopefully they'll correct soon enough.

Going from a HP ZR24w to one of the 27" 2560x1440 glossy displays was really eye opening and there's absolutely no way I could ever go back to one of those awful coatings.

Totally agree with you. I'm currently only using the 27" display. I have a perfectly great 2407WFP right next to it that hasn't been plugged in or used since I've received the glossy 27".

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I find it a bit ironic seeing as ATI spearheaded tesselation hardware on GPUs with TRUFORM, a long forgotten and little-used feature

:aaa: - when I first tried Truform in Morrowind with a GF2 GTS

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah those appear to be possible with the Feb builds. All the March builds appear to be (at least what I've read) only able to do 60. I opted for the Crossover. No real reviews yet on it but the adjustable height/pivot looked good. If it does manage to get over 60, I'll see it as a bonus. Fact remains: 1440p IPS monitor for just over 400 US is amazing.

I'm planning an upgrade soon and one of these sounds awfully tempting...

How does game support go for that resolution go? Most seem to pull their resolution list out of the Windows supported ones at the time but I'm guessing older ones would be out of luck - do you know if it does 1:1 or aspect scaling or will only stretch, anyone know?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm planning an upgrade soon and one of these sounds awfully tempting...

How does game support go for that resolution go? Most seem to pull their resolution list out of the Windows supported ones at the time but I'm guessing older ones would be out of luck - do you know if it does 1:1 or aspect scaling or will only stretch, anyone know?

Most of my games support the resolution 1:1 if that' shwat you're asking. Seems to be the case with some of my older games as well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

rapeface posted:

Yeah, I didn't see any of that anywhere. CrossFire/SLI is rather confusing.
It ends up being pretty simple, actually. They're both very similar in terms of how things present to you as a user. CF/SLI doesn't kick in unless you are in a 3D application which is running full-screen (and not the fake "full-screen windowed" mode, either--has to be legit full-screen). For any other configuration you only get one card working at a time. When it does kick in, the performance is hit or miss depending on the specific application: SLI often won't support brand new games at all without a driver update, while CF usually will at least let you try it, though performance is not guaranteed. Some games optimize well for CF/SLI and you can get 80-90% of theoretical max performance, some start out with problems which are fixed in subsequent updates, and some just never really work right. Battlefield 3 seems to work fine for many people, while for others they suffer "microstuttering", which is where even though the FPS is fairly stable and at a reasonably high level, input response or updates are slightly--but noticeably--jerky or "off." Skyrim is another that has problems; off the start people with CF setups actually got negative scaling--that is it ran slower with CF enabled than with just a single card (and SLI didn't work at all). Driver updates since then have pushed scaling to a positive factor, but it's still really bad.

tl;dr CF/SLI is great when it works. But it doesn't always work, and if you play a lot of MMO's or other games that you run windowed/"full-screen windowed" then CF/SLI is not for you. Buying a single faster card is usually a better all-around choice than two slower cards and trying for CF/SLI.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
What the hell, it just doesn't work unless you're in a 3D environment? So if you run a movie full screen on one window while browsing or something on a second screen, your second card is basically doing nothing?

I run pretty much all my games in windowed mode so I'm really glad to have this advice, thank you. I did some research and this never came up, which is pretty annoying. What card should I get instead?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

rapeface posted:

What the hell, it just doesn't work unless you're in a 3D environment? So if you run a movie full screen on one window while browsing or something on a second screen, your second card is basically doing nothing?
In non-3D environments it just goes by what's plugged into what. So if you have two monitors, each plugged into a different card, then each card will push whatever's on that monitor, so you'd still get utility from each (not that any mid-level or higher card couldn't handle video and browsing duty at the same time). If you have two monitors plugged into the same card, then yeah, the second card will just idle. I myself didn't find this out until I bought a 5970, which is CrossFire-on-a-card, and so it happens so suffer all this fun stuff even though it's physically a single-slot card.

As for recommendations, depends on your price range. I'm a big fan of the Radeon 7950/7970 (depending on your budget). You can get factory-overclocked ones for only a minimal cost bump, they can support more than two monitors with DisplayPort, are pretty quiet, and beat nVidia's offerings right now on a price:performance ratio. That said, if you prefer the green team, the GF 570 and 580 are good choices. The 590 is powerful, but like the Radeon 6990, it is a dual-GPU solution; that second core ain't gonna spin up in your windowed game, so there's no point.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I guess I'm going to have to start my video card review again. I don't really want to spend more than the cost of two 6950s or 7850s. Basically, I just want good performance at 2560x1600

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

rapeface posted:

I guess I'm going to have to start my video card review again. I don't really want to spend more than the cost of two 6950s or 7850s. Basically, I just want good performance at 2560x1600

Then it's either a pair of 6950s/7850s, or stretch a bit to a 7970 (and overclock it). There really isn't anything comparable for frames and eye candy at that resolution for anything near the same price.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DrDork posted:

It's a business-class thing: the assumption is that you'll be using it in an office or production studio of some sort, where you very well may not be able to completely control the lighting. Therefore Dell has opted for a heavier AG coating, which solves the problem of glare, at the expense of some color-pop--a feature that's not really a big selling point with businesses. Apple, on the other hand, has an entirely different way of approaching monitors, and apparently it's "Make 'dem colors POP! Who cares that you can see your face in it in almost any lighting condition?" Personally I wish both companies offered more options in that regard (I'd like a Dell Ultrasharp with a lighter AG coating, and an Apple laptop with any AG coating), but such is life.

:confused:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Space Gopher posted:

If only other manufacturers offered decent res 16:10 screens in their ranges. The panels exist, Apple uses them! People need to catch up..

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

He was talking about the imac/thunderbolt display.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
7970 is stretching the budget a bit too far I think. I don't expect to get the same possible performance out of a single card as a dual card set up, just trying to work out the best option for a single card now that dual cards are out of the picture for me.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between the 7950 or wait for the 7870. I think I'll go for the slightly cheaper cheaper 7870. It's faster, but only has 2 GB compared to 3 GB. I figure I can still decide to CrossFire it later if I feel like I really need the extra room, but I imagine it will be fine. Does this sound like a good move?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shadowhand00 posted:

Most of my games support the resolution 1:1 if that' shwat you're asking. Seems to be the case with some of my older games as well.

Video card drivers have several options for non-native resolution scaling even if the monitor does not. You can set it to center a 1:1 pixel window at a lower resolution, scale it up at the driver level, or a couple other choices. Both ATI and Nvidia do this really well, the only way you would have issues with scaling is if you were plugging in a non-PC source to the screen. (This is the problem people have with U2412s, wanting to use them with PCs and consoles).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ordered the Catleap for $370 shipped to Puerto Rico. A similar HP or Dell would have been around $100 for the shipping alone, so for me its a specially sweet deal. Hopefully it will be in good condition..

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Animal posted:

Ordered the Catleap for $370 shipped to Puerto Rico. A similar HP or Dell would have been around $100 for the shipping alone, so for me its a specially sweet deal. Hopefully it will be in good condition..

I'm not sure how thorough the customers for PR is, but some euros had to pay duties on it (most sellers mark it as $50-100 though so it's not too bad)

Best of luck in getting one with 0 dead pixels and no light bleed.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Its the same process as anywhere in the US here. Hoping the same too. And that my 560 Ti 448 will be enough for it!

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Ordered the catleap 27". Will post my thoughts on it when I get it. $370 shipped to Canada.

e: Mostly getting it for just document work for screen real estate, but hopefully my GTX 460 will work for it for DOTA 2. Anyone know if it will?

Also still need recommendations for a VESA mount for it. Have a glass desk so not sure if the ones that clamp will work on it, so maybe need to look into a wall mount.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

I'm selling one 24" IPS, one 24" PLS (non grainy coating), and one 27" IPS panel over in this thread

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
Just got this display in the mail today and I love it.

Even though I haven't seen the Dell U2312HM in person, this one seems to be just as good at about $30 less.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Phiberoptik posted:

e: Mostly getting it for just document work for screen real estate, but hopefully my GTX 460 will work for it for DOTA 2. Anyone know if it will?

Also still need recommendations for a VESA mount for it. Have a glass desk so not sure if the ones that clamp will work on it, so maybe need to look into a wall mount.
Considering DOTA 2 is pretty much DOTA 1 which is basically WC3...yeah. You should be fine. Turns out it doesn't take too much effort to push a game that doesn't have models with more than like 100 polys each. And since Valve is making it, they're not going to be retarded and write it in Java or some stupid poo poo like that.

As for the VESA mount, being a glass desk shouldn't be a problem unless it's really thin. If you want to be extra careful, you can take a small wood or metal plate and put it between the clamp and the glass to spread the pressure a little. Just don't yank it around angerly and it should be ok.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

L33t_Kefka posted:

Even though I haven't seen the Dell U2312HM in person, this one seems to be just as good at about $30 less.
Goddammit, I feel dumb for ordering two new TN monitors now. Last time I checked I could have sworn IPS panels were like $400+. This would have been perfectly what I was looking for, LED backlit and even a VESA mount.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Phiberoptik posted:

Ordered the catleap 27". Will post my thoughts on it when I get it. $370 shipped to Canada.

It will but it might not do it at the same graphics quality your current monitor runs at.

loving hell, I wasn't planning on getting a new monitor, but a 27" IPS at this price is sexy as hell (would go from a 24" pva @1900x1200 and 21" ips @1680x1050 to one of these). Are these prices pretty consistent throughout the year? Going to have to wait and see what my Ivy Bridge/Kepler (Or southern islands) build costs me.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

It will but it might not do it at the same graphics quality your current monitor runs at.

loving hell, I wasn't planning on getting a new monitor, but a 27" IPS at this price is sexy as hell (would go from a 24" pva @1900x1200 and 21" ips @1680x1050 to one of these). Are these prices pretty consistent throughout the year? Going to have to wait and see what my Ivy Bridge/Kepler (Or southern islands) build costs me.

It looks like the monitors cost only $250 in South Korea and these are what they use in the gaming cafes there.. so I'd imagine not too much of a variance in pricing-- maybe it'll go up a little bit as they got a ton of orders due to overclockers/slickdeals/reddit/other forums.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

DrDork posted:

Considering DOTA 2 is pretty much DOTA 1 which is basically WC3...yeah. You should be fine. Turns out it doesn't take too much effort to push a game that doesn't have models with more than like 100 polys each.
Are you retarded? I'm ashamed to share a registration month with you.

edit - What 100 polys looks like:

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 16, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cicero posted:

Are you retarded? I'm ashamed to share a registration month with you.

Although it may not be entirely accurate, it will be Source based, as far as I recall, and Source is pretty gloriously scalable.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

HalloKitty posted:

Although it may not be entirely accurate, it will be Source based, as far as I recall, and Source is pretty gloriously scalable.
Oh I agree that the system requirements will be really low, Valve is amazing at having highly scalable games. He just made it sound like Valve was pushing out low-quality art, when the exact opposite is the case; Dota2 has some of the strongest art I've ever seen in a game, and it certainly blows its biggest competitor, LoL, out of the water.

It also sounded like he was implying that it would have the same system requirements as War3 just because the gameplay is based off of a War3 mod, which is just :psyduck:

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Shmoogy posted:

It looks like the monitors cost only $250 in South Korea and these are what they use in the gaming cafes there.. so I'd imagine not too much of a variance in pricing-- maybe it'll go up a little bit as they got a ton of orders due to overclockers/slickdeals/reddit/other forums.

Excellent. Gives me something to think about. Though dual-link dvi is finicky as poo poo compared to displayport, etc.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Tedronai66 posted:

Excellent. Gives me something to think about. Though dual-link dvi is finicky as poo poo compared to displayport, etc.

What do you mean by finicky? All of my experiences with dual-link DVI go like this:

1) Have cable
2) Plug in cable
3) Enjoy a thing that works

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cicero posted:

Oh I agree that the system requirements will be really low, Valve is amazing at having highly scalable games. He just made it sound like Valve was pushing out low-quality art, when the exact opposite is the case; Dota2 has some of the strongest art I've ever seen in a game, and it certainly blows its biggest competitor, LoL, out of the water.

It also sounded like he was implying that it would have the same system requirements as War3 just because the gameplay is based off of a War3 mod, which is just :psyduck:
The art direction and quality is quite strong, yes, no argument there--but that doesn't have much bearing on how many polys get used. Compared to the poly counts involved in top-flight games like BF3, Skyrim, etc., DOTA2's are hilariously low, and that' a-ok because a game like that doesn't need 10,000+ poly models in order to create good quality visuals; 100-poly models are just fine for a game you'll spend mostly zoomed out on, anyhow. Valve has never pushed high-poly counts or hardware-demanding games, and DOTA2 isn't going to buck that trend.

I stand by my statement that a 460 should have no trouble with it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's probably over 100 polys in that blade alone

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

L33t_Kefka posted:

I have 2 of these and they are great screens for the money.
Slight backlight bleed at the top but for everyday use,gaming and programming stuff they do me just fine.
No dead pixels on either and great stand adjustment options.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

DrDork posted:

The art direction and quality is quite strong, yes, no argument there--but that doesn't have much bearing on how many polys get used. Compared to the poly counts involved in top-flight games like BF3, Skyrim, etc., DOTA2's are hilariously low, and that' a-ok because a game like that doesn't need 10,000+ poly models in order to create good quality visuals; 100-poly models are just fine for a game you'll spend mostly zoomed out on, anyhow. Valve has never pushed high-poly counts or hardware-demanding games, and DOTA2 isn't going to buck that trend.

I stand by my statement that a 460 should have no trouble with it.

I get what you are trying to say, I really do, but sticking by these numbers makes you sound like an idiot to people that do 3d work. Quake models are more than 100 polygons, and they are about as primitive as any true 3d game gets. Extremely low detail player models now clear well over 1000 polys.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Welp, my VG236HE just developed a single dead black pixel with about 40 dead white ones all around it. Is there a better 120hz panel out there now or should I just buy another one? :smith:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vatek posted:

Welp, my VG236HE just developed a single dead black pixel with about 40 dead white ones all around it. Is there a better 120hz panel out there now or should I just buy another one? :smith:

Did they refuse to replace it under warranty?

I'd avoid saying the words "dead pixel." "Big white blob" (or line or whatever) will probably get you better results.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Space Gopher posted:

Did they refuse to replace it under warranty?

I'd avoid saying the words "dead pixel." "Big white blob" (or line or whatever) will probably get you better results.

I didn't even think to try, but I don't really want to go 2+ weeks without a monitor. I bought it in November of 2010 so it's definitely still under the 3 year warranty for the panel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tell them to send you an advance replacement. They'll need a credit card number, but do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Vatek posted:

Keep using your boob monitor