Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dunno, neither of Hole or Thaw grabbed me near as much as Nail so I stopped.

Gash is pretty good. Not as good as Nail, but I still like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

It's both really different than Way of the North (love) but really good. Can we throw money at you yet and where?

edit: The atmospheric feel is there in bits and pieces, so it feels similar to older stuff, but all the various other genres (esp metal) that are incorporated into some tracks make it feel pretty ground breaking without feeling as if too experimental or too much of a mashup.

I've found a lot of electro/ebm from 2000 onwards to be derivative in a bad way (pull a rave whistle from the early 90s and a trance intro from the late 90s and repeat it five hundred times because the fan base is so insular it doesn't recognize the sound from elsewhere), and rare when there was a lot of experimentation going on. Amen breaks? Big beat? Metal? And it works, and every track is complex and changes and genre shifts don't feel forced or repetitive. Nice job, guys. Where are the chiptune complextro grindcore outtakes? ;)

Thank you! I'm glad you dig it. We're both crazy proud of it. You can't throw money at us yet, sadly. Once the label gets it up on Bandcamp that'll be how to make that happen.

I feel the same way as you about modern electro/ebm. I didn't want to make a record that sounded too much like anything else. Which is in fact a big part of the reason those chiptune/complextro/grindcore tracks didn't make the cut. Chiptune has been done to death. Complextro has been done to death. So on and such. I like the tracks that don't sound like they fit perfectly into other genres.

But because I appreciate your tactical use of a winky face, I have temporarily uploaded one of the outtakes that has literally never been heard by anyone but me and Nick. Enjoy!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Twiin posted:

Thank you! I'm glad you dig it. We're both crazy proud of it. You can't throw money at us yet, sadly. Once the label gets it up on Bandcamp that'll be how to make that happen.

I feel the same way as you about modern electro/ebm. I didn't want to make a record that sounded too much like anything else. Which is in fact a big part of the reason those chiptune/complextro/grindcore tracks didn't make the cut. Chiptune has been done to death. Complextro has been done to death. So on and such. I like the tracks that don't sound like they fit perfectly into other genres.

But because I appreciate your tactical use of a winky face, I have temporarily uploaded one of the outtakes that has literally never been heard by anyone but me and Nick. Enjoy!

I listened to the I Die:You Die stream of it yesterday it's really good! So is the outtake as well.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Haha, this actually does not suck works is good. My initial reaction was basically, 'that sounds horrible and probably a good thing to cut' but that's not right. It's a great track, but yeah I get an FLA vibe from it so totally unexpected usage of wobbles (and I much prefer amen breaks snuck into the album). I think it's because you guys switch it up that much and no one genre dominates for too long that it feels like a step forward in experimentation. So yeah, have an awesome time at Aftermath, and if you guys don't have the biggest crowd there, then I don't know what's wrong with people :P

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well they're playing the same night as Malhavoc so people might be spent by then

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Man, I was really surprised that those guys were still around - and a new album coming? Talk about a blast from the early '90s past themed Friday night. (I showed a friend the Antigen Shift stream and he called it '90s-tastic' which I think is a compliment.)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

(I showed a friend the Antigen Shift stream and he called it '90s-tastic' which I think is a compliment.)

It absolutely is.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Volt 9000 and IDUD have a special message about Aftermath!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man, still can't reconcile how fantastic Necessary Response sounded and how ... ridiculous modern Aesthetic Perfection is. I guess props for trying something different.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I don't remember seeing it posted in this thread (checked back a few pages), but the new THYX album, Super Vision, came out back in March. It's pretty awesome.

There's a video for Robots Don't Lie, and an eight-minute teaser.

Edit: Also, Für Immer is a goddamn fantastic song.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2014

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I'm gonna drop the new Ben Frost in here 'cause god drat http://pitchfork.com/advance/447-a-u-r-o-r-a/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Armor-Piercing posted:

I don't remember seeing it posted in this thread (checked back a few pages), but the new THYX album, Super Vision, came out back in March. It's pretty awesome.

There's a video for Robots Don't Lie, and an eight-minute teaser.

Edit: Also, Für Immer is a goddamn fantastic song.

I really like the new THYX, but I haven't given it enough time. I devour music, but I just don't have time between all the miab releases too. At least between both bands, his style, voice, and sound is really unique and doesn't get lost against anything else.

edit: Aftermath is starting tomorrow night.

I'm not keen on all the bands performing, but they're on 30 minute sets, so at least it'll all have novelty value.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 22, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Aftermath day 2!

I'm playing at 9:15. And then again with iVardensphere at 12:45.

Timeslots are SECRET though so keep that under your hat.

I am so psyched for Malhavoc you guys.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Holy gently caress Promonium Jesters are loud live. Almost too much with ear plugs.

Two drummers, three guitars, a bass, and just one midi dude.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So Promonium Jesters either didn't go over so great or most people hadn't arrived yet ... but Antigen Shift came on after and the crowd loving loved it. I was hanging out with some really jaded people and they were super-impressed.

Gothsicles were next and just unbelievably killed it. I don't have the words. I kind of enjoyed them before, but poo poo. The stage presence was incredible. His vocals sounded better than on the albums. And then he played a song about Kinetik being cancelled and Aftermath picking up the mantle (and regardless, having a non-refundable ticket to Toronto!). Home crowd loving loved it. Also I think there was one later vaguely about being confused by Ontario geography. I don't think most of the crowd knew who they were prior, but poo poo they ate it up. Finished his set as Causticles.

And then came Malhavoc. There were lots of people there clearly just to see them ... and it was so loving awkward. Played a bunch of songs no one knew. I wanted to like the set. I just closed my eyes and let the racket wash over me for a while but...

...then Jimi takes his shirt off. I noticed he had some scaring which I thought was peculiar ... and then he grabbed an exactoblade ... and carves a pentagram into his chest. He seemed amused by the crowd's revulsion, and flung his blood at us. The pit cleared out.

So tonnes of goodwill washed away... and yet somehow it completely turned around. He was jumping into the crowd, started playing songs everyone recognised, and by the end we were eating it up and it was incredible. Such a breadth of emotion haha.

I just really didn't like the next band, and couldn't really sit through it to get to iVardensphere unfortunately. Have so much poo poo to do and still another 4-5 hours per night of Aftermath.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 24, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

I just really didn't like the next band, and couldn't really sit through it to get to iVardensphere unfortunately.

it went over pretty well

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
I am so psyched right now. saw ayria last night and she rocked hard. displacer were a real breath of fresh air, and caustic projected The Room in (almost) its entirety while they performed. seriously an incredible night.

aftermath rules. gotta give idyd, dsol, and scott (forgive me if i forgot anyone) credit for putting this together in a matter of weeks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man oh man the quickest way into my heart is a PWEI cover. Thank you FGFC820.

Encephalon did one at the Artoffact showcase that made me a fan for life.

edit:

oh ha. My sad little Aftermath story is that after Thursday's show, I left my new God Mod and Encephalon shirts in a bike share basket. By the time I remembered 20 minutes later, they were gone. It was by the inter-city bus station, so I like to think a homeless person got some new clean shirts to wear.

Anyway, I noticed Matt from Encephalon posting on Facebook, so I tagged him asking if I could buy another shirt from them before the festival is over. Ran into them in the line-up to get in today and they'd already brought me one and wouldn't take money for it.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 25, 2014

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

it went over pretty well

Is that Jamie Blacker shirtless? I think I might need to go for a lie down! (He might be one of my industrial scene man-crushes)

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is that Jamie Blacker shirtless? I think I might need to go for a lie down! (He might be one of my industrial scene man-crushes)

It is. He wouldn't let us put any mud in his hair. It all looked pretty badass on stage though.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 26, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

1) I am very sad I was not at Aftermath

2) The new FLA tracks on Echoes sound just as good as I thought they would with actual good headphones

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
CBC Electronic likes my new record, yo!

Sweet sweet mainstream press! Let me bask in your glory for this brief, fleeting moment!

Twiin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 29, 2014

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Just got back from seeing Gary Numan. Possibly one of the best shows I've seen in my life.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

spamman posted:

Just got back from seeing Gary Numan. Possibly one of the best shows I've seen in my life.

Yeah I saw him last year and he was utterly incredible. Also reminder to everyone to buy Splinter as it's probably the best industrial electronic album of 2013. :love: Garrrrryyyyyy

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The entirety of 3 Teeth's debut album is streaming here. I can only describe it as extremely loving tight.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Apparently Google Music makes a big handwavey guess at a band's "cover art" if it's not embedded in mp3s. This is what it did to Ad-ver-sary:

:catstare:

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

...Sex-O-Rama 2 is totes a Ad LP now to me. :laffo:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Some prime seriousebmfans.txt on the Musik pictures i drawn FB page (which is probably the best thing to happen to the scene in a while, thanks to whomever posted it here some time back)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

some moron posted:

I think you should stop making these drawings. Its hurting the scene.

musik posted:

i am forever you cannot stop me

:allears:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can't believe Johan van Roy himself got involved ... what a shitshow.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Apparently Tom Rainer was a much better sport than Suicide Commando were.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Old Tommy keeps taking it on the chin like a champ but still is completely oblivious as to why he keeps having to take it and why everything he does is problematic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Babby Sathanas posted:

Old Tommy keeps taking it on the chin like a champ

Well, other than that time when he commissioned a picture of his detractors being mowed down with machine guns.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's a problem: loving Wave Gotik loving Treffen is happening this weekend a couple of hours from where I am but there are like three bands I'm actually interested in and I don't know if I can afford to go and if I'm interested in the hassle of going and finding a place to stay in the first place :negative:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I used Wave Gotik Treffen as an excuse to travel back in 05. First time leaving Colorado by plane, and I went to Germany. It was awesome. Thanks for the nostalgia. I just slept on a park bench somewhere between Lepzig and Berlin. I don't know how to read train schedules...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Youth Code is playing NYC again next week at St Vitus which should totally rule

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

deong posted:

I used Wave Gotik Treffen as an excuse to travel back in 05. First time leaving Colorado by plane, and I went to Germany. It was awesome. Thanks for the nostalgia. I just slept on a park bench somewhere between Lepzig and Berlin. I don't know how to read train schedules...

Haha, that's a long rear end trip to make just for a festival. What did you see? I hope you didn't travel and sleep on a park bench alone, even though Germany is hella safe.

Anyway, I decided to go anyway despite there only being two bands (Solitary Experiments and OOMPH!, already missed my chance to catch FLA) I really wanna see. I figured I might as well, I¨m so close for once (although yes, I¨ll be going next year as well because I'm doing an exchange semester in Leipzig, but whatever), and who knows when I get the chance to see OOMPH! again because they tour so sporadically. Also I'm sure I¨ll get to see a ton of bands I didn't even know I liked, so whatever?? The only kind of a bummer is that I couldn't go any earlier, so now I¨ll be paying the full price (like 100 euros) for two days. But hey gently caress it this is partly why I'm in this drat country to begin with so :getin:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 8, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

boo_radley posted:

Apparently Google Music makes a big handwavey guess at a band's "cover art" if it's not embedded in mp3s. This is what it did to Ad-ver-sary:

:catstare:

I just saw this and it is the greatest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
At a De/Vision show and my brother just bought Mr.Kitty's album with the sweet II0I0... remix. It's awesome. Also: much better than De/Vision.