Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you want a box that just works while you're traveling look into a little travel router like from TPLink, etc. Get one that can run OpenWRT and it will be almost as hackable as a Raspberry Pi. The Pi really isn't good as a VPN or router because it can only use USB ethernet adapters at USB 2.0 speed. Also the Pi isn't really made to handle abrupt power losses an can pretty easily corrupt its SD card if you aren't careful and yank out the power when rushing to go somewhere. In addition it's kinda sketchy to be running through airport security with a little circuit board and wires hanging off of it, etc. Ultimately I think you'll be frustrated and unsatisfied with a Pi as a little travel router.

As a learning device for electronics, etc. the Pi is perfect though. Set your expectations to something that the board was designed to do and you'll be much happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

mod sassinator posted:

As a learning device for electronics, etc. the Pi is perfect though. Set your expectations to something that the board was designed to do and you'll be much happier.

On this note, what are some good suggestions for Pi projects? I currently have a Bittorrent Sync cloud running on a B+ which I think is awesome, and my Motionpie camera which...isn't so awesome. I've been debating flashing the SD and reloading Raspbian or Jessie in order to have it stream to an old work computer running VLC, but I'm open to new ideas.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

TheresaJayne posted:

Well i would as the others have suggested, get a Raspbery Pi, A second Ethernet port and try to get this software working http://forums.untangle.com/hardware/30111-raspberry-untangle.html
http://www.untangle.com/get-untangle/

Untangle, is an enterprise level Firewall that also comes with a built in VPN server including the ability to download the client from the firewall itself.

I wouldn't call untangle "enterprise level". Pfsense, maybe.

Also, there's no reason to make users download a client in 2015. ipsec (or ipsec+l2tp) is supported absolutely everywhere, and it's what should be used.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

evol262 posted:

Also, there's no reason to make users download a client in 2015. ipsec (or ipsec+l2tp) is supported absolutely everywhere, and it's what should be used.

Maybe I am strange, but I almost prefer using a client rather than Windows (or another OSes) built in connection. Both function as well, but a lightweight client has never really bothered me.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

evol262 posted:

Also, there's no reason to make users download a client in 2015. ipsec (or ipsec+l2tp)

Except that SSL is superior to IPSEC for remote access, and afaik most OS's don't have clients for that built in. Also it's just for him, so "making users" do anything is not an issue.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 29, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
By "users", I also meant "his friends/wife and their cell phones/tablets"

SSL is sometimes nicer, sometimes not. OpenVPN is almost never nicer.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
FWIW, I like OpenVPN :shobon:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Wanting to build a full size 4-player arcade cabinet run off a RPi2 with the ipac4 controller. RetroPie seems like the perfect fit and I'm ready to start buying parts, however I want the cabinet to be mainly a Crawl cabinet, with the MAME/MESS stuff as an option. Crawl does have a linux version so I know it will run but I'm not very familiar with the Pi at all. Is there a way to setup RetroPie where I could have an option of playing Crawl or jumping in to the emulators? My understanding is that if you have retropie on the sd card it boots directly to that without any options.

I should note I haven't done real programming since college which was 99% C++ and I have no desire to actually code anything myself. Would have to rely on already-made software.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 30, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

eightysixed posted:

FWIW, I like OpenVPN :shobon:

Which is what Untangle uses

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

ChesterJT posted:

Wanting to build a full size 4-player arcade cabinet run off a RPi2 with the ipac4 controller. RetroPie seems like the perfect fit and I'm ready to start buying parts, however I want the cabinet to be mainly a Crawl cabinet, with the MAME/MESS stuff as an option. Crawl does have a linux version so I know it will run but I'm not very familiar with the Pi at all. Is there a way to setup RetroPie where I could have an option of playing Crawl or jumping in to the emulators? My understanding is that if you have retropie on the sd card it boots directly to that without any options.

I should note I haven't done real programming since college which was 99% C++ and I have no desire to actually code anything myself. Would have to rely on already-made software.

From what I read about Emulation Station (that's the front end to RetroPie as I understand it?), you could probably just add a launch command for your Crawl executable, but without the rom text field. That's described in this doc.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
My raspberry pi doorbell works yay! It's set up for a coffee shop drive-thru, so if the customer hits the doorbell, everyone's phone gets a push notification that someone is at the window. push button and python script sends message to push app which sends push notification to all devices on the account. I am using Instapush, which is free. Might upgrade to Pushover ($5) for user groups and downtime management. I am going to try to use crontab to schedule the script to only run during business hours, however that still sends a push notification to every phone that is logged into the app, even for the people who aren't at work.

CashEnsign fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 31, 2015

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
RE: Bartop Arcade Project

Got a pre-cut cabinet off of Ebay. I have everything I need to get it set up except for those pesky monitor mount screws.

Buttons + USB Adapter

Cabinet

And a layer of primer currently drying

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Just an FYI: If you install FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT for your Raspberry Pi (even a 2), the first boot will take a loooooooomg time before you get a login prompt. It's not frozen, it really is just still booting.

No idea what it is that sucks up all that time, but drat does it take forever.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

floor is lava posted:

RE: Bartop Arcade Project

Got a pre-cut cabinet off of Ebay. I have everything I need to get it set up except for those pesky monitor mount screws.

You have almost the same setup as me. Nicer cut boards though. I don't know if the Pi 2 still uses MAME4ALL, but I had a lot of trouble getting the buttons to work properly with that USB adapter. Feel free to ask if you run into problems.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
RE: RE: FW: RE: Arcade Cabinet

Got it all wired up and spray painted. Ran in to trouble with the controls where it cloned the joysticks. Had to patch the kernel to fix it.

Hail satan.

Next up, the trim and marquee.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

TVarmy posted:

From what I read about Emulation Station (that's the front end to RetroPie as I understand it?), you could probably just add a launch command for your Crawl executable, but without the rom text field. That's described in this doc.

So when I grabbed the Crawl Linux distribution it appears it's an x86 executable which if I'm understanding correctly will be a no go for the Pi as it's an ARM processor. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do except make my cabinet a RetroPie only machine.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

It seems to be on apt-get under the name "crawl."

You can find the path to the actual binary with the "which crawl" command.

You could probably compile it from source, too, if you want to get the absolute latest version.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Aww you got my hopes up. That's actually Dungeon Crawl, which seems to be extremely popular because every time I search for the Crawl I want I find tons of stuff for that game but not what I'm looking for. I think I'll email the devs and ask them what the odds of getting a compatible version are.

Edit: Wow the dev emailed me back already. Seems like a super friendly guy. Said there was no ARM compatible version right now but seemed optimistic as they had made an android/ouya version and it ran quite easily on low spec machines. He said he wouldn't have time to make a custom build but if I knew of an easy way for him to export from unity without requiring him to do a lot of tinkering he'd be up for it. Considering the guy who made the game isn't sure I sure as hell wouldn't know any better.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 9, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Hey, I recently (literally just now) grabbed a pi because I wanted to compile java and whatnot to spit out jars for me, I was trying to figure out if there was a way to just plug a USB into the pi and use that directly as an ssh interface. I saw this http://www.adafruit.com/product/954 but that literally just looks like a usb cable with female headers applied to the +5, ground, and data+ and - line. I'm assuming the TTY is intrinsically minorly different than the USB standard but I wanted to confirm this was the case before either breaking the new thing or getting a useless cable.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Oh! I'm sorry. I thought you meant the roguelike this whole time. In retrospect, a game that uses tons of keys would be weird to play on a joystick.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Forer posted:

Hey, I recently (literally just now) grabbed a pi because I wanted to compile java and whatnot to spit out jars for me, I was trying to figure out if there was a way to just plug a USB into the pi and use that directly as an ssh interface. I saw this http://www.adafruit.com/product/954 but that literally just looks like a usb cable with female headers applied to the +5, ground, and data+ and - line. I'm assuming the TTY is intrinsically minorly different than the USB standard but I wanted to confirm this was the case before either breaking the new thing or getting a useless cable.

Yes you can do an ssh over putty on the serial line(s)

For the same price you can just get an $8 edimax USB Wi-Fi adapter and throw it under the bed or somewhere out of the way. Generally now you only want to do serial if it's a truly dumb device. If you're going to ssh into it with putty anyhow, might as well get full high speed network.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Forer posted:

There are some active components in that cable.

Also you'll need to hook it up to the UART pins of the Pi and power it separately with the USB port, you can't power it off a computer's USB port.

You could also use a wifi dongle to connect to your router and then SSH in like the dude above mentions, but that's dependent on having a router, etc. Also wifi can be kind of a pain to initiall set up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Forer posted:

There's actually a PL2303TA serial to USB chip inside the little plastic around the connector for that cable. Serial and USB are very different at the protocol level so this chip translates between the two. That's a good cable to pick up for talking to the Pi's serial port and should work perfectly for you. If you're using a different cable you want to be careful that it's a 3.3 volt cable and not a 5V cable. Trying to send a 5V signal to the Pi's serial RX pin would damage it. That PL2303 chip is 3.3V so it's fine to use with the Pi.

IMHO the easiest way to talk to a Pi is just to plug it into a port on your network's router. Raspbian will assign it the hostname 'raspberrypi' by default and most routers make that available to all the computers on your network with DNS. I think Raspbian even enables avahi by default now so if you're on a Mac you can reach it by 'raspberrypi.local' too. Once you get connected and install Samba you can even access it from '\\raspberrypi' with NetBIOS on Windows.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 10, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks for the help. I wanted to be able to just have a machine that I code on or throw java code to and have it spit out a compiled jar without using wifi or networking so that was the main use of it. I already have mine set up with a wifi dongle that came with it but I don't want to have to connect when I'm out and about to a wifi network that won't exist so that was the stuff.

Thanks for stopping me from frying my pi too though, I wondered why it looked so simple and was so expensive so I thought either adafruit was tryin' to rip us off (which I try to think better of her) or there was something simple I was missing. :toot:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

The cable is a good deal if you also do stuff with Arduino and other micro controllers (you can communicate with them even if the board doesn't have a working USB adapter), but there's better ways to ssh into the pi. Serial is really slow compared to Ethernet or WiFi.

Just hook it up to your network in whatever way is easiest for you.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A direct ethernet connection should work too.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Forer posted:

Thanks for the help. I wanted to be able to just have a machine that I code on or throw java code to and have it spit out a compiled jar without using wifi or networking so that was the main use of it. I already have mine set up with a wifi dongle that came with it but I don't want to have to connect when I'm out and about to a wifi network that won't exist so that was the stuff.

I really have to ask... why? Why not just install the JDK on the computer you're already carrying around instead?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

37th Chamber posted:

I really have to ask... why? Why not just install the JDK on the computer you're already carrying around instead?

Echoing this... I have a few projects that I use the pi for, all written in c/c++ and they take ages to compile on the pi. The latest one is upwards of a minute for building on the pi, when the equivalent code on my i5 laptop builds in around a few seconds at the most.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

37th Chamber posted:

The cases I'm talking about are 1) Wifi-less and 2) Don't wanna install jdk on an accessing computer. Example locations

Public library computer.
School computer lab.

Don't wanna carry a full on laptop everywhere but a smaller pocket computer would do fine with a computer to act as just a big keyboard and screen and that's all I want.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That ought to work but you're trusting that the public computer you have access to will let you arbitrarily install and putty. I guess if you have a thumb drive with your git repository + a copy of putty + Notepad++ you should be ok

You're really not going to want to find the serial pins each time so you'll want to come up with a way to mask off the other pins, I guess. They're not pins 0,1 or 39,40, it's something stupid like 13,14 in the middle-ish, right next to the 5v and GND rails.

It would be kind of neat if you could tunnel port 80 over SSH to a Cloud9 instance

Actually, just get a BeagleBone Green, this is the perfect use case

The BeagleBone Black is the original and costs about $50, the Beaglebone Green comes with Ubuntu preinstalled on an eMMC chip, and already has Cloud9 preinstalled. You don't have to gently caress with serial as it's both powered by and has a data connection using USB. That's one of the big pluses of the BeagleBone design is the power is also the data - you don't have to worry about Ethernet, wifi or serial to connect out.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/BeagleBone-Green-p-2504.html

Bonus: it fits inside an altoids tin

edit: BeagleBone green is on backorder, BeagleBone Black is $55 and also has HDMI out, still has Cloud9, still fits inside an altoids tin.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Embest-BeagleBone-Black-RevC-Singleboard-Computer-p-1860.html

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

eschaton posted:

Probably dastardly individuals (really their automated systems) trying to get access to the system through all possible combinations of passwords.
I once had a raspberry pi with ssh open to the world on default port of 22 and /var/log/auth.log was filled with loads of chinese IP's trying the usual dumb combinations. The funny thing is that I'd disabled password authentication completely (public-key only) but the scripts aren't smart enough to parse the authentication mode error and move on.

I now run on 443 because I log in through my work proxy which only allows HTTP CONNECT to port 443, auth.log is now a lot less busy infact I've never seen an attempted ssh login. I do see a few "Bad protocol version identification" lines a day, usually indicating russian and chinese IP's trying to connect to it like its a https site. I also just saw a taiwan IP trying to connect to it like it's a http proxy (the error was Bad protocol version identification 'CONNECT vip163mx01.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0' which I think means they were trying to use me for email spam).

Hadlock posted:

Real world numbers I've seen for the Pi are about 1 megabit (slightly less than a T1, ok for remote desktop and general command line stuff but not much else), Pi2 will do upwards of 10 megabit
Really? I've seen an original model B pass through up to 6megaBYTES/sec acting as a router (using a usb ethernet adapter for WAN and it's own ethernet for LAN, I've also had about half that using a wifi adapter for WAN) - I wasn't using a openwrt or anything though, I just set it up as a very simple router by using some iptables rules in raspbian. I still wouldn't use a raspberry pi as my main router because a router that can run openwrt is much better.

[edit]
I missed the fact you were using it for VPN, that would explain it, and yeah a Pi2 would make a difference because it's probably limited by how quickly the CPU can perform the encryption.

Fuzz1111 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 12, 2015

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
My Pi 2 does torrenting together with OpenVPN and it it hits the configured speed limit of about 10 mbit/s fairly often which is more than enough for how little I use it. load average is about ~2.5 in these cases, with one core being hit harder as openVPN only uses one core, the weak point here would be the connection stalling because openVPN is maxing out that one core it uses which means it can probably not be pushed much farther than that on the Pi2. (at least not with one openVPN instance)

E: Also routers don't run on magic, they're just computers too. Lots of routers actually have specs that make the Pi 2 look like a supercomputer. The only thing that really cripples the Pi 2 there is USB and no direct in-hardware support for some things.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fuzz1111 posted:

[edit]
I missed the fact you were using it for VPN, that would explain it, and yeah a Pi2 would make a difference because it's probably limited by how quickly the CPU can perform the encryption.

Yeah I don't think the Pi or Pi 2 have any hardware encryption so doing VPN stuff with realtime encryption and decryption full duplex is pretty brutal for single core stuff. I think the next version of OpenVPN has had multithreading on the road map (v3.0) for at least 5 years but it's not coming anytime soon.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
A thing I stumbled over once because of me mis-configuring I didn't immediately figured out (tricked myself a little there) was the Pis 2 entropy pool constantly being sucked dry because of encryption and a WLAN connection being a lot slower than it should be as a result. The Pi 2 does have a hardware RNG and there's little reason not to use it, especially if you run the Pi headless. I'm pretty sure all distros made for the Pi specifically already cover all that in the default configuration already but hey, it tripped me up once.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My Odroid-C1 is in a pretty poo poo state right now. I think maybe the SD card may have gotten corrupted because a singular package would not update when updating via pacman. Now I can't access it via SSH so I decided to take a look at it and I can't get the thing to show up on a monitor. Flipping through the various resolutions in boot.ini isn't working either. Any way I can mount this SD card and chroot it and forcefully update it? Being that it's ARM I'm not sure how to do this with my X86 system.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

YouTuber posted:

My Odroid-C1 is in a pretty poo poo state right now. I think maybe the SD card may have gotten corrupted because a singular package would not update when updating via pacman. Now I can't access it via SSH so I decided to take a look at it and I can't get the thing to show up on a monitor. Flipping through the various resolutions in boot.ini isn't working either. Any way I can mount this SD card and chroot it and forcefully update it? Being that it's ARM I'm not sure how to do this with my X86 system.

Does the Odroid boot if you use a clean, just imaged SD? If so, you could boot the Odroid1 with a clean OS, and use an USB multicard reader to plug in your wrong card and try to update it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amberskin posted:

Does the Odroid boot if you use a clean, just imaged SD? If so, you could boot the Odroid1 with a clean OS, and use an USB multicard reader to plug in your wrong card and try to update it.

Hmmm, this is a clever idea and something I'll try this weekend. The main problem is the lack of no signal appearing onto the monitor. It's booting far as I could tell and the monitor is attempting to put something on the screen, it's just entirely black no matter the resolution set. I have a few SD cards laying about that I can try a clean OS with.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

You can also do this with qemu-system-arm and the raw dev or qemu-arm-static+binfmt+chroot

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Police Automaton posted:

E: Also routers don't run on magic, they're just computers too. Lots of routers actually have specs that make the Pi 2 look like a supercomputer. The only thing that really cripples the Pi 2 there is USB and no direct in-hardware support for some things.
While the CPU in the Pi isn't bad compared to what's in most routers, I still wouldn't use a Pi as one - routers don't have all their network interfaces on one USB2 bus (yes even the ethenet port on the Pi is on USB bus). Whilst pumping 6mB/s from one network interface to another is possible it's probably maxing out the USB2 bus to do so: a beaglebone black, which doesn't have its ethernet port on USB bus, can do over 8mB/s as a router (basically hitting the limits of 100mbit ethernet, not it's USB bus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I set up an Raspberry Pi 2 in my garage to act as a thin client for RDP to a computer I keep in my basement. The RP2 is connected via ethernet. The RP2 is connected directly to one of the ethernet ports on my router, which is also in the garage. The RP2 can connect to the internet with no problem. I can ping the router without issue. My network is set up kind of like what is shown in this diagram (black is wired, blue is wifi):

The primary router runs dd-wrt and the access points are cheap routers running OpenWRT, configured to run as access points. The primary router assigns pre-set IP addresses for every device on the network via DHCP (I know what machine has what IP).

When configured exactly as shown, I can make connections (ping, ssh, etc) between the laptop and the RP2. The RP2 can connect to the laptop, the router, and the internet, but CANNOT connect to any other device on my network. If I use the wifi on my laptop to connect to a different AP, I can't connect it to the RP2.

None of the other devices on the network have this problem. I have an Odroid C1, a FireTV stick, a couple of smartphones, a couple of Nooks, a Linux server, and a Windows PC in the basement. All of them can talk to each other and to the outside world without issue, even with multiple "layers" of switches/access points in between them.

I run a web server on the Odroid. My router (which has DDNS set up) is set up with port forwarding. I can't connect to the Odroid from the RP2 directly (ie http://192.168.1.x) , but I can if I refer to the Odroid as http://blahblah.dynamicdnsprovider.com.

WTF is going on here? Why is the RP2 the only device on the network that can't communicate properly with the other devices on the same subnet? I have another RP2 (connected via wifi), and it can speak directly to any other device on the network, regardless of switches and APs in between.