Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's because iPhones are worth the money and cheap smartphones are junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Buy what you like, we all get screwed by Canadian cell providers equally, comrades :D

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

priznat posted:

Buy what you like, we all get screwed by Canadian cell providers equally, comrades :D

This is the only argument that's really worth making here :D

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Can't wait til they start charging extra for Android or Apple users.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lexicon posted:

You keep saying "cell phone" but for many people this is their primary computer that they spend hours a day on. You're free to not value flagship phones, but for a lot of people what the price delta buys you is absolutely worth it.

CLAM DOWN's phone (Nexus 6) does everything an iPhone can do and more for half the price unlocked. iPhone's price is a brand tax, not an indication of quality. It's still a good phone of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let he who is without a Nexus 6 cast the first stone.

Edit: The Nexus 6 is now the old model anyway. The price has dropped. It was like $750 new, and that was before the dollar crashed.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 12, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

CLAM DOWN's phone (Nexus 6) does everything an iPhone can do and more for half the price unlocked. iPhone's price is a brand tax, not an indication of quality. It's still a good phone of course.

Did you ever get one of those Tylt car mounts? I love mine, it barely fits the N6 but man is it neat.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

Crap camera, no force touch, no fingerprint reader, no in-store support. Will probably fall apart after a year. Runs android.

Other than that, sure. Its every bit as good :allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Crap camera, no force touch, no fingerprint reader, no in-store support. Will probably fall apart after a year. Runs android.

Other than that, sure. Its every bit as good :allears:

Camera is pretty drat good, don't give a poo poo about force touch, don't need fingerprint reader either as I have one on one of my work phones and it's useless, and it's in fantastic/mint condition after a year. And modern Android is way better than iOS. Suck a fat one <3

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol anroid is trash software and you won't even get updates in a few months or whenever Google gets bored of supporting it.

Maybe the person buying the iPhone does in fact want the iPhone features and not some cheesy oversized knockoff :iiam:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 12, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ancient Nexus's still get updates. When I had iPhones, updates would slow it to a crawl and kill its usability. Almost certainly intentionally.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you ever get one of those Tylt car mounts? I love mine, it barely fits the N6 but man is it neat.

Nah I don't really have use for one. I memorized the whole city long ago so I rarely use GPS (old fart) and my Mazda has a good square cup holder type thing that works great for phones.

The reason I like android is because you get software and hardware innovations about three years earlier. Apple just changes the name and markets it better.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 12, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Lol anroid is trash software and you won't even get updates in a few months or whenever Google gets bored of supporting it.

Maybe the person buying the iPhone does in fact want the iPhone features and not some cheesy oversized knockoff :iiam:

Oh my god please stop being such a parody, or at least source your quotes from macrumours.com

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aren't there already phone argument threads that I can continue to ignore?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You're the one who jumped down someone's throat completely unprompted for buying a better smartphone than you would like them to have :mmmhmm:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god it was about the price, not the phone type, you were the one who started that

go smoke some BC bud, brah

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

As someone who has written software for both the Android ecosystem and the iOS ecosystem, I have my own reasons for preferring iOS and Apple hardware, but the biggest reason is simply that I use a Mac as a personal computer and don't want to mess about with my phone. Really - I can afford it. ~900 bucks every 3 years is not that much for a piece of technology I literally use every single day. Just because I *could* get a cheaper Android and configure it exactly to my liking, doesn't mean that that's something I want to do. I solve people's tech problems for a living, I really don't want to do that in my own life.

Arguments over "the stuff you buy is worse than the stuff I buy" are so immature. I have experience with both platforms, I prefer iOS, but it's a personal choice. I'm not judging you. Buy what you like, man.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I found the iPhone price this year to be steep but it's nice to upgrade every 2 years unlocked and give my old unlocked phone to my wife and it's still good for her for another 2 years.

We could sell her 4S locally but we're keeping it as a beach camera/mp3 player instead of going through the hassle.

E: asking on a 4S here is $125-200 but getting $100 would be more realistic.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god please stop being such a parody, or at least source your quotes from macrumours.com

He's not entirely wrong. The Nexus 6 launched with Lollipop which was and continues to be very buggy.

The Nexus 5X and 6X or whatever their official titles are going to be are going to be very expensive in Canada too this year, by the way. $800 is like $950 right now.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 12, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lollipop was never buggy on the N6 and the N5x will not be $800.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lollipop was buggy period.

Exchange did not work when it came out. That's a major feature to be broken. And it wasn't fixed quick either, it took months. Lollipop had huge battery issues too.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 13, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I have always maintained that Lollipop is the Vista of phone OS's.

I somehow think a $1309 phone is reasonable in 2015. You'll use it a lot and Its like computers used to start at $1500 in the 90's. All that is old is new again. Someone out there has to pay to speed the phone industry towards market maturity. As long as its other people, I say kudos.

I like my android china phone because I can use it as a phone and for prying and jimmying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

I found the iPhone price this year to be steep but it's nice to upgrade every 2 years unlocked and give my old unlocked phone to my wife and it's still good for her for another 2 years.

This is my plan too. I've got a 6 and given that it's got everything I'll need for a while and Apple Pay NFC for down the road then I'm perfectly happy to wait another year to see what the 7 comes up with. People tend to prefer the S->S upgrade cycle but I'm okay doing the opposite.

Paid full price for my phone and haven't given it a second thought since, but then again I'm perfectly happy with 16GB so who knows, maybe next upgrade will be price prohibitive. I suppose if I really felt that way I could just go back on contract or something, but I don't see that happening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Come on, you know we're never getting Apple Pay.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If anyone isn't buying their phone accessories from BestBuy I highly recommend it. They now price match in store against Amazon.ca and NewEgg.ca plus give you 10% of the difference between their absurdly inflated prices and the online price off. Just got two $26 Lightning cables for $6.29 each.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

If anyone isn't buying their phone accessories from BestBuy I highly recommend it. They now price match in store against Amazon.ca and NewEgg.ca plus give you 10% of the difference between their absurdly inflated prices and the online price off. Just got two $26 Lightning cables for $6.29 each.

cablesalescanada.com
monoprice.com

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
My local carrier has been doing it like the new US apple payment plan thing, where I'm paying $36/month for an iPhone 6s 64GB ($0 down), with my choice of plan not just limited to some min $80 plan. So my wife and I will have a plan with the usual unlimited calling plus 2GB of shared data for $95 a month. Can't wait to get rid of my iPhone 4 (!) on the 27th.

gently caress you Fidooooo

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mik posted:

2GB of shared data for $95 a month

It makes me so sad that this is considered a good deal

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BGrifter posted:

Would have been nice to know this before I ordered my 6S case for $24 on Amazon.ca but then again maybe it was worth it to not have to pay $2.40 + tax to go to a Best Buy. Assuming they even carried the case that I wanted, which online scouting suggested they didn't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Come on, you know we're never getting Apple Pay.

If you say so :B

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Do Rogers Share Everything plans include Visual Voicemail for iPhone? I get 25% off on SE plans and I'm trying to put together something reasonably close to my current 6GB plan so I can get a hardware upgrade. Alternately, will retentions let me renew my current plan as a 2-year contract?

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 14, 2015

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Martytoof posted:

If you say so :B

Are you actually in the know or are you just some sort of absurd optimist with respect to Canadian telecom and banking? :D

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Are you actually in the know or are you just some sort of absurd optimist with respect to Canadian telecom and banking? :D

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/new-mobile-wallet-apps-prepare-for-apple-pays-canadian-launch/article25835936/

Apple's gotta deal with a bunch of financial institutions to make it happen, and bankers have loose lips, so the news is out ...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably won't work with the Caisse anyway. They don't even support Interac Online.

Speaking of things nobody expected to happen, Rogers claims their iOS wifi calling support they promised a year ago goes live with iOS 9.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Aphrodite posted:

Probably won't work with the Caisse anyway. They don't even support Interac Online.

Speaking of things nobody expected to happen, Rogers claims their iOS wifi calling support they promised a year ago goes live with iOS 9.

The carrier update to make it work just came out (Rogers 21.1), but I keep getting a message to call my provider whenever I try to enable it. I hope it's not limited to Share Everything plans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got that message too.

What they had me do that seemed to fix it was to turn wifi off, and power off the phone. Wait a couple of minutes then start it up, turn on wifi, and try to enable it.

Sounds like useless off the script support but it worked for me. I asked the rep if they did anything on their end like change a setting on my account or anything and they said no.

They say it's for any post paid plan, but I do have a Share Everything business plan so I can't confirm that.

I didn't realize wifi calling meant free calls/texts to Canada from the U.S. though, that's a nice surprise.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 16, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm on Koodo, I got a carrier update after the iOS 9 update, but can't find WiFi calling in any of the settings. Oh well. I have unlimited anyway so I'm not bothered, just figure call quality might be higher over VoIP on a nice connection.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Lazyhound posted:

Do Rogers Share Everything plans include Visual Voicemail for iPhone? I get 25% off on SE plans and I'm trying to put together something reasonably close to my current 6GB plan so I can get a hardware upgrade. Alternately, will retentions let me renew my current plan as a 2-year contract?

I don't think they do.

Generally, SE plans just have basic voicemail. Visual VM is included in a valuepack for $5/mnth that also has some other stuff you likely don't want or need, like US/International text.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pivo posted:

I'm on Koodo, I got a carrier update after the iOS 9 update, but can't find WiFi calling in any of the settings. Oh well. I have unlimited anyway so I'm not bothered, just figure call quality might be higher over VoIP on a nice connection.

It's just Rogers and Fido that support it. I assume they must have some kind of exclusive deal for it since none of the other carriers here support it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pivo posted:

This wifi calling actually still counts against your minutes and texts, it's meant purely for coverage.

They still have One Number for free wifi calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is there any advantage to signing up for a contract at Costco versus a carrier store?