Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Keeping up the good tradition of making me want to rage when I fail to kill a strike carrier.

Bloody PHR!

I'm keen to give these guys a go but I might wait for one more release to dive back in. I do really like Dropfleet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Someone want to remind me what Fusillade does again?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pash posted:

I think it gives extra shots when you Weapons Free? I don't have my book with me right now.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pash posted:

Fusillade-X gives you X more attacks on weapons free.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Okay, ya, Kiev seems cool and good.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

The carrier and the atmospheric ones look rad. Something to counter dropship spam and also get crits on the side? And a viable alternative to the Seattle? Hell yes.

Not sure about the torpedo one. It doesn’t have limited-1, but I imagine that is an oversight? Or is that what they mean by having the torp separate?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Countering dropship spam would be the greatest improvement to the Dropfleet meta. Making the game less about who is chucking tokens down fastest would be a good thing. Hopefully these new options are effective at knocking out strike carriers in practice to make the actual space battle more impactful.

...That said I'm interested in PHR bulk landers and the Shaltari homeship option, mostly because PHR troopships feel like a no brainer and multiple Emeralds are default picks.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does that Electra look ridiculous to anyone else? 7 HP with 3+ armor for 60 pts is really solid, and front arc H+S shots seem like they'd be really good at helping snipe down heavy cruisers and up. Plus you can keep them in the back and start shooting about the time the battle lines engage.

The Ariadne seems kinda eh. Having another bulk lander option is really nice, and I suppose the weapons loadout is solid for a back-line option (again, front arc shots on H+S stuff that's likely to be weapons free anyways, and the Ariadne has the Electra's firepower until the Electra goes weapons free).

The Jason blockade runner seems hilarious for chasing down corvettes and dropships. Flit around the sides of a battle using 3+ drones to crit & kill strike carriers? Don't mind if I do! And you can still plink away at anything that goes weapons free...

The Odysseus also seems really good. Use that to go counter strike carriers on side objectives, so you can out-drop the tanks with 3 infantry. It might not be points-efficient and it is probably a bit too vulnerable compared to adding strike carriers instead, but I like the idea.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I don't understand the shaltari homeship at all. 100pts for 3 drop, or 55pts for 1? Less than half the effective hp of an emerald? It's not like the positioning on your ships matters for drop.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's a targetting thing. Shaltari have all thier drop power focused in one ship, take out all the motherships and you basically win the game. The option to spread your drop out a bit more is useful.

I like the options, the scourge beam lazer ones look nice. You can put some hurt down with them.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Yeah I think its a points tax on flexibility with the Homeships. You don't get as much token spam but you are forcing your opponent to split fire and chase more targets down. Also a lower Sig makes them a bit harder to snipe at range. In theory anyway.

The PHR options do seem pretty decent, they are more focused on 'punching up' with heavy calibre than I was expecting. I can see myself picking up two packs eventually and magnetising the prows to build a pack of blockade runners and a pack of destroyers.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Salute report: SMG absolutely slammed, surprise! Everything 50% off so I got a full UCM fleet for £50.

Hawk have huge stocks of the new destroyers and all event exclusives really cheap.

I've got a three ship group of both resin light cruiser alternates now.

Welp.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SMG can suck my balls, he's a cock.

Someone throw peanuts at him.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 14, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
U ok hun

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

im mad as hell and i'm not gonna take it anymore

Ugleb posted:

Countering dropship spam would be the greatest improvement to the Dropfleet meta. Making the game less about who is chucking tokens down fastest would be a good thing. Hopefully these new options are effective at knocking out strike carriers in practice to make the actual space battle more impactful.
Agreed, it isn't very fun to play the meta and it stops me wanting to do organised play, me and my buds ignore it and play sub-optimally but it's more enjoyable to shoot spaceships like Homeworld: The Miniatures Game.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

SMG can suck my balls, he's a cock.

Someone throw peanuts at him.

I feel there is a story here.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Flipswitch posted:

Agreed, it isn't very fun to play the meta and it stops me wanting to do organised play, me and my buds ignore it and play sub-optimally but it's more enjoyable to shoot spaceships like Homeworld: The Miniatures Game.

That isn't playing sub optimally :ssh:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Incy posted:

That isn't playing sub optimally :ssh:
Tournament groups here take around 12+ strike carriers. We take about 6.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Flipswitch posted:

Tournament groups here take around 12+ strike carriers. We take about 6.

And they don't win the tournaments, do they?

e - we'll see at midlands maelstrom 2, I'm not sold on their balance changes as they just seem to change what is too good and what isn't, but I am really looking forward to the scenarios they've built.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm not talking about tournament winning lists but a fun list has no way to compete with that many drop assets and it isn't fun to play with, or against.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

And they don't win the tournaments, do they?

e - we'll see at midlands maelstrom 2, I'm not sold on their balance changes as they just seem to change what is too good and what isn't, but I am really looking forward to the scenarios they've built.

Yeah a couple of things on there raised an eyebrow. I'm not sure why they going so far with the homebrew rules but I really want to play some games so....

I suspect the organiser(s) fancy themselves to be game designers as they are using all homebrew scenarios on top of some pretty far reaching errata I should read carefully a few more times!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Dave caught on actual camera, from about half way in but the first half shows some glimpses of new DzC buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKmlj0pMbg

DzC v2 beta could be out next week.
The DzC/DfC combined book is going to be out mid-late part of this year.
Dreadnoughts are well into the design phase but not quite ready to be shown at Salute. The UCM one will weigh over twice as much as the Battleships, so they are chunky buggers! Or, y'know, massive with big voids.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That Dropzone table was amazing looking and only £100 for the full 4x4 with buildings. I was extremely tempted by it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That Dropzone table was amazing looking and only £100 for the full 4x4 with buildings. I was extremely tempted by it.

They charge nearly £100 for just the board usually, so that was a bargain!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I chatted to Dave and he mentioned some things about Dreads:

UCM "gun dreadnought" can throw 30 dice a turn. Will have fusillade weapons similar to the Kiev, and 2+ armour. UCM will also get a supercarrier.

Shaltari dread has a 28" signature with shields DOWN. PHR dread still seeing extensive testing.

There will be tweaks to the battlegroup rules to accomodate single-dread battlegroups in smaller games.

Andy Chambers is back consulting on the new rulebook.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 15, 2018

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ugleb posted:

They charge nearly £100 for just the board usually, so that was a bargain!

Yeah, and some of the buildings were unreleased. It was purely a decision based on the reality of space and the fact that my DZC set from original launch still hasn't been assembled. I would absolutely love to have that table though. Maybe next year if they do the offer again.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I would kill for some new Dropzone stuff.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

I would kill for some new Dropzone stuff.

I think these are new and wonderfully phallic. Don't recall seeing them as anything but renders before in any case.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They came so long ago I completely forgot they existed. I kinda like the rockasaurus.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Loxbourne posted:

I chatted to Dave and he mentioned some things about Dreads:

UCM "gun dreadnought" can throw 30 dice a turn. Will have fusillade weapons similar to the Kiev, and 2+ armour. UCM will also get a supercarrier.

Shaltari dread has a 28" signature with shields DOWN. PHR dread still seeing extensive testing.

There will be tweaks to the battlegroup rules to accomodate single-dread battlegroups in smaller games.

Andy Chambers is back consulting on the new rulebook.

I'm not sure I want bucket of dice mechanics but I guess its going to be fairly inevitable with floating battlestations in play. I'd rather they drop the dice pool and fiddle with lock values etc. Supercarrier is good though, I think UCM should be throwing out the strike craft.

28" base sig on a Shaltari ship is...curious. Is it meant to be particularly big or are the other races even more ridiculous?

If the PHR dread is 'still in extensive testing' I'm reading that as 'currently kinda broken'.

Should Dreads even be in smaller games? Unless they consider 1250pts to be a smaller game in the context of dreads I guess.

Sojenus posted:

I think these are new and wonderfully phallic. Don't recall seeing them as anything but renders before in any case.

Fauna is real! Huzzah! I really liked the idea of random creatures living in the ruined cities so hopefully these come in a not excessively priced set.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

Should Dreads even be in smaller games? Unless they consider 1250pts to be a smaller game in the context of dreads I guess.

Battleships are not far off the single battlegroup cap in games anyway, so I guess doublebattleships go over it. Maybe it's going to be with agreement, like famous commanders in dzc?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

I'm not sure I want bucket of dice mechanics but I guess its going to be fairly inevitable with floating battlestations in play. I'd rather they drop the dice pool and fiddle with lock values etc. Supercarrier is good though, I think UCM should be throwing out the strike craft.

28" base sig on a Shaltari ship is...curious. Is it meant to be particularly big or are the other races even more ridiculous?

If the PHR dread is 'still in extensive testing' I'm reading that as 'currently kinda broken'.

Some of this was covered in our conversation. Dave would like Dreads in smaller games but doesn't want them becoming must-picks. He does like the idea of lone DNs in smaller games or tournament-level matches as a kind of "hunt for the Lonely Queen" type scenario, and dreads will be specifically exempt from the battlegroup cap. All dreads will have very high sigs - given the talk of 2+ armour on the UCM one the idea is more that they just tank hits rather than make any attempt at stealth. He quoted figures for indicative hull points too, I don't remember the exact numbers but they were a big jump up from even battleships. Dreadnoughts are intended to force the whole battle to be played around them.

That 30 dice figure was with fusillade. Of course I should have asked if it included CAWs...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I’m not sure how I feel about bucket of dice, but one thing it does do compared to going for a 2+ lock or whatever is change the crit ratios. Where you want the crit ratios depends on what you want the DN to be effective against and what you want to be effective against it.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0965/1274/files/Dropzone_Commander_Rulebook_2.0.4.pdf?4371357113980009801

Drop zone open beta rules are out.
For someone who only read the 1.1 rules I'm not sure of the subtleties of the changes to deployment and shooting after landing makes

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Approach types? Were those a particularly beloved part of Dropfleet?

EDIT: Liking the reserve changes.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I haven't finished reading yet, but I find the increased focus on forests interesting. Trying to crack the all urban boards all of the time aspect I guess.

Approach types is a curious one but might be interesting? I'm unsure tbh, would have to try it.

What did you want to change about the damage table bistro?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Well, it is less than elegant, but I'm not really sure what you'd replace it with. Just having a save value for everything would mean that 9mm pistols have a 1/6 chance to damage giant mega-tanks, so you'd have to have modifiers and effectively recreate the damage table.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
The damage table is terrible and i want to abolish it.

Currently the formula for doing damage boils down to E + d6 > A + 4 or as most people memorize it: Equal E and A damages on 5+, deviate from there.
This is unnecessarily complicated for absolutely no reason.

If you add 4 to every armour value in the game it you basically ditch the +4 in the above formula and you just gotta check if E + d6 > A or in words: Does my Energy plus the d6 exceed the Armor?

It's not some huge game breaking this but damage rolls happen so often that every bit of streamlining helps. And what really gets me is that i see absolutely no advantage in the way it's currently done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

its a relic of the old lovely british games dave grew up with.