Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mithranderp posted:

I...is this a reference I'm not getting? D:

Worm Mafia game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

tithin posted:

Worm Mafia game.

oh

doi.

man I still love that game because of dat masonry.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That still baffles me.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Best masonry ever

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If it helps any, its looking likely that there'll be another Worm Mafia game, being chaired by Milky with me to assist with Design.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Asphyxious posted:

Like "we have two known scum, so lets lynch Tirade".

I swear I could feel my synapses fusing together in disbelief as vote after vote started to pour in for me in that game.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Tirade posted:

I swear I could feel my synapses fusing together in disbelief as vote after vote started to pour in for me in that game.

It is from that game that I learned that if someone agrees with you, it doesn't automatically make them not-scum

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Tirade posted:

I'm beginning to think of you as "the long-suffering Tirade". It seems time and time again you're at ground zero of against absolutely confounding feats of awful decision making.

tithin posted:

If it helps any, its looking likely that there'll be another Worm Mafia game, being chaired by Milky with me to assist with Design.

I'M HYPE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I dunno, I felt I suffered a lot in that Worm game because I didn't know the source at all.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

I dunno, I felt I suffered a lot in that Worm game because I didn't know the source at all.

Better read it then!!

Pretty much everyone who does comes to the same conclusion - owns

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

So, I'm sorry that people thought there were too many new roles. That's kind of what we were going for. Obviously it makes it overwhelming for Town but we tried to offset that by giving you guys mechanics that affected you positively. It was also hard to anticipate the sheer loving insanity to which Town would sink.

I feel like plenty of the Town insanity came about not because of the new roles, but because of Scum's clever and lucky use of the Bus Driver. Town barely contemplated the possibility of a scum Bus Driver (which is neither a new invention nor a bizarre rarity), and so were completely and utterly bamboozled by successful but ineffective doctor actions, and successful but misleading cop actions. I honestly feel like if this game hadn't had the Bus Driver there would be a lot fewer complaints about the wacky new roles.

Anyway, hopefully you still got something out of it. Tithin, thanks for suggesting adding some of these roles to the Wiki. I am happy for someone else to do that if they feel like it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

Metas happen. It's an unavoidable fact of how games work. If people play a game enough, a metagame will develop. You can't stop it, you can only introduce various systems to attempt to shape the meta the way you want to. Personality meta is not really avoidable in any game with a small player base. If you know that when you play Age of Empires II with Mark he ALWAYS plays persians and goes straight for elephants, you're going to build a counter to elephants every game you play with Mark, before you even see his massive army of elephants.
I agree that "meta" happens, but I really like it.

At one point Beet proposed a rule that would prevent players from referencing previous mafia games. I said that I don't play mafia with strangers, I play it with you guys, because it's nice to play a game within a community, where you feel like you know the people you're dealing with. This is especially the case with a game that is largely about social engineering and conversation (as opposed to min-maxing build orders).

The AusPol meta is pretty much why I'm here.

"Meta" seems to be used as basically a catch all for "people knowing each other and having at least some kind of history". As you say, this is unavoidable, but for me it's also a large part of the appeal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

tithin posted:

:getin:

Yeah man, get hype.

Anyways, like I've said before, Auspol towns suffer from being so hostile, argumentative and generally forgetful. I'm going to go so far as to say that, due to this, scum teams hold a significant advantage in most Auspol games and that there needs to be an element of pro-town bias in the setup to counteract that. I've said before that the best thing a town can do is stay calm and constructive - this prevents easy lynchs except on the basis of policy, lying or bad arguments and it forces the scum to come to the table. If you lynch people who aren't posting enough or who are just popping in to vote, then the scum must engage and they're more likely to slip up if they're forced to argue their points.

As much as people like to say that it's okay to play Mafia how you like (eg: belljar), I'm going to fundamentally disagree. Every single game in human history is predicated on the idea that both sides are playing to win. A town player popping in to just vote or to vote on the basis of 'what's funny' isn't playing to win. A scum team who buses their scum partners for no real reason isn't playing to win. Someone who votes for themselves, as town, isn't playing to win. Encouraging an atmosphere of 'this sucks, I want it to be over' isn't playing to win. This, of course, gets altered in games with new or strange roles. You can bend these rules, sure, but this is something that really hurt the town this game.

Similarly, I'm going to disagree that there shouldn't be a meta. Metagaming is natural. The problem is Auspol towns metagame at the expense of the current game. It's normal for there to be good players and bad players. It's normal for players to have certain tells. It's normal for players to argue for lynches based on the policy that a player can be a detriment even if they're town. Do I like being known as a shifty guy who is 'probably' running some sort of extravagant WIFOM plan? Not really. Is it better or worse than being known as generally disruptive like Anidav? That's neither here or there.

As far as the 'we have lives' argument goes, yeah, unfortunately there's no real way to regulate that. Auspolfia is really made for quick games. I've seen games where days last a week and people were getting subbed in before the first night action. That's the other extreme and, honestly, is just as bad. I think that twenty four hours is a good time but players also need to have a certain understanding that posting over and over again isn't necessary. This isn't a chatroom. Posts can be read at a later date. Say your piece, maybe rebuff a few arguments, then sit back.

Another minor thing is, like, don't be afraid to roleclaim. People like to say it's a bad idea, but given that there's usually heaps of night roles running around, it might be in your best interest. More information helps the town.

Would I like seeing more people playing? Sure. But I also like the close-knit group we have because of the metagame, too. We just can't afford to let it drive people away or force us into making sub-optimal decisions.

Not sure what else to add. I'd suggest that maybe people read the articles on mafia theory on the mafiascum wiki if you're interested in improving the state of Auspol games?

Other than that, the work that TOML and SK put into this game is pretty phenomenal. :)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
As for the new role thing?

Well, every single Mafia role that people use was designed by someone at some point. Originally there were no night actions, no cop, no doctor, no anything. The game is constantly evolving.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My arguments last year were nowhere near that eloquent but "lol" nonetheless

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Anyways, like I've said before, Auspol towns suffer from being so hostile, argumentative and generally forgetful. I'm going to go so far as to say that, due to this, scum teams hold a significant advantage in most Auspol games and that there needs to be an element of pro-town bias in the setup to counteract that. I've said before that the best thing a town can do is stay calm and constructive - this prevents easy lynchs except on the basis of policy, lying or bad arguments and it forces the scum to come to the table. If you lynch people who aren't posting enough or who are just popping in to vote, then the scum must engage and they're more likely to slip up if they're forced to argue their points.

As much as people like to say that it's okay to play Mafia how you like (eg: belljar), I'm going to fundamentally disagree. Every single game in human history is predicated on the idea that both sides are playing to win. A town player popping in to just vote or to vote on the basis of 'what's funny' isn't playing to win. A scum team who buses their scum partners for no real reason isn't playing to win. Someone who votes for themselves, as town, isn't playing to win. Encouraging an atmosphere of 'this sucks, I want it to be over' isn't playing to win. This, of course, gets altered in games with new or strange roles. You can bend these rules, sure, but this is something that really hurt the town this game.

Similarly, I'm going to disagree that there shouldn't be a meta. Metagaming is natural. The problem is Auspol towns metagame at the expense of the current game. It's normal for there to be good players and bad players. It's normal for players to have certain tells. It's normal for players to argue for lynches based on the policy that a player can be a detriment even if they're town. Do I like being known as a shifty guy who is 'probably' running some sort of extravagant WIFOM plan? Not really. Is it better or worse than being known as generally disruptive like Anidav? That's neither here or there.

As far as the 'we have lives' argument goes, yeah, unfortunately there's no real way to regulate that. Auspolfia is really made for quick games. I've seen games where days last a week and people were getting subbed in before the first night action. That's the other extreme and, honestly, is just as bad. I think that twenty four hours is a good time but players also need to have a certain understanding that posting over and over again isn't necessary. This isn't a chatroom. Posts can be read at a later date. Say your piece, maybe rebuff a few arguments, then sit back.

Another minor thing is, like, don't be afraid to roleclaim. People like to say it's a bad idea, but given that there's usually heaps of night roles running around, it might be in your best interest. More information helps the town.

Would I like seeing more people playing? Sure. But I also like the close-knit group we have because of the metagame, too. We just can't afford to let it drive people away or force us into making sub-optimal decisions.

Not sure what else to add. I'd suggest that maybe people read the articles on mafia theory on the mafiascum wiki if you're interested in improving the state of Auspol games?
I agree with large chunks of this - really my only caveat is that I do think it's okay for people to play mafia however they like. Mafia is a team game, and in most team games (other than at the professional level) you're going to have players who have different styles, priorities and interests. Some simply are more interested in doing something that will live on as a funny memory, just as some are more interested in being on the winning side. Because this is just how amateur/casual teams work, making peace with that variety of perspectives is just something you're going to have to do - in much the same way that Splode is simply going to have to get used to the fact that people who play together develop a "meta". It's just part of the deal.

Anyway, modding a game (especially one that goes entirely off the rails) can really help you see what behaviours are unhelpful or counter-productive, so I hope to lead by example next time I play.

also

Milky Moor posted:

Other than that, the work that TOML and SK put into this game is pretty phenomenal. :)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Asphyxious posted:

Also Splode and Fruity as great a "scum play" as panning me while genuinely distressed is, you're both a pair of loving grubs

Uhhhhh

We had no clue what was going on, gwyn was saying you were fine and maybe actually acting in the scum doc, and it IS alienating to be playing a game and have someone freak out for what looked like no reason. I made one two line post about it and that was it. If you seriously think I'd use something that terrible to get further in a game of freaking mafia then I don't even know what to say

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

you're absolutely right milky, i don't play to win. i couldn't give a poo poo if town or scum win, that's not important to me. enjoying the game is important to me, and this game was pretty enjoyable for me!

i like watching anidav melt down literally every game because nobody takes him as seriously as he takes himself, i like the metagame and watching people interact with themselves, i like being an element that knocks the boring data collating people out of their groove. its fun and makes the game better imo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if i played the game with a goal to win, i would be unhappy most of the time

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Those On My Left posted:

So, I'm sorry that people thought there were too many new roles. That's kind of what we were going for. Obviously it makes it overwhelming for Town but we tried to offset that by giving you guys mechanics that affected you positively. It was also hard to anticipate the sheer loving insanity to which Town would sink.

I feel like plenty of the Town insanity came about not because of the new roles, but because of Scum's clever and lucky use of the Bus Driver. Town barely contemplated the possibility of a scum Bus Driver (which is neither a new invention nor a bizarre rarity), and so were completely and utterly bamboozled by successful but ineffective doctor actions, and successful but misleading cop actions. I honestly feel like if this game hadn't had the Bus Driver there would be a lot fewer complaints about the wacky new roles.

Anyway, hopefully you still got something out of it. Tithin, thanks for suggesting adding some of these roles to the Wiki. I am happy for someone else to do that if they feel like it.

Yeah that's definitely true. I couldn't understand why town hadn't worked out it was just a scum aligned busdriver, especially because there's been one in nearly every game recently. We did use it very effectively but not weirdly.

Milky Moor posted:

As for the new role thing?

Well, every single Mafia role that people use was designed by someone at some point. Originally there were no night actions, no cop, no doctor, no anything. The game is constantly evolving.

That's true, but this many new roles at once makes life difficult.

bell jar posted:

if i played the game with a goal to win, i would be unhappy most of the time

That's stupid, you're stupid.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

That's true, but this many new roles at once makes life difficult.

life wasn't meant to be easy

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

bell jar posted:

you're absolutely right milky, i don't play to win. i couldn't give a poo poo if town or scum win, that's not important to me. enjoying the game is important to me, and this game was pretty enjoyable for me!

i like watching anidav melt down literally every game because nobody takes him as seriously as he takes himself, i like the metagame and watching people interact with themselves, i like being an element that knocks the boring data collating people out of their groove. its fun and makes the game better imo

this is worse than anyone expressing reservations about anidav

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:greencube:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
play to chill

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

I like this dude!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Seagull posted:

play to chill

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's a forums game where the winner gets nothing and it's all for fun. I was getting a bit stressed this game because I didn't know what was going on (since I haven't played Mafia for a while, the thought of a bus driver completely escaped me) but if you play a game where we post at each other and try to point out liars, and are all RRAAAAARGH GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT then I don't want to play with you - you're taking this poo poo too seriously.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

My attitudes more in line with bell jar, don't really care about winning, just want to see if I can spot liars and pat myself on the back.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Asphyxious posted:

My attitudes more in line with bell jar, don't really care about winning, just want to see if I can spot liars and pat myself on the back.

:catstare:

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh Dear.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Thank you TOML and Small Keating for running the game

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

You did what

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

You did what

Lool let's not worry about who ate what out of what

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Thank you TOML and SK for an awesome game and well done scum for dominating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SKY COQ posted:

Thank you TOML and SK for an awesome game and well done scum for dominating it.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Thank you TOML and Small Keating for running the game

u 2 r welcome

• Locked thread