Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

It's almost shocking it's not adapted from a comic and not just cause of the Superman stuff. It feels like it has reams of excised plot, but not in a bad way.

It kind of plays like in another universe it was a critically acclaimed tv series cancelled after the first season that became popular on dvd, but we're just seeing some kind of highlight reel. The cult and Adam Driver stuff was just begging to be fleshed out with more scenes, but just kind of falls flat without more characterization or interaction with other characters. It's got this powerful Spielberg funk on it that works great for the stoic men at the center, but it kind of seems like we're only seeing half a movie when it's all people staring in curiosity or wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah. Personally, I don't advocate for violence for two reasons: One, because violence has consequences for the perpetrator, and I don't feel comfortable advocating for someone else to assume the consequences of jail time or just getting the poo poo beat out of them, especially if I'm not willing to risk the same. And two, it's not a viable long-term political strategy, especially when the other side is much better equipped to dish out violence.

But if a guy explicitly and publicly calls for genocide, then guess what? He assumes the consequences of potentially getting his teeth knocked down his throat whenever he shows his dumb face. And nobody is gonna feel bad for him, nor should they.

Anyway, I'm just upset that the video of him getting punched set to Hatebreed got taken off YouTube :(

Did you see the one with X Gon Give it To Ya?

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm just not convinced about violence.

Why can't we just dump a bucket of piss on fascists?

(Or is it because they might like it)

When someone advocates for or causes violence against large groups of people it doesn't matter if they physically attack someone. Their words are aimed at people who will do the dirty work and they are designed specifically for that purpose. Punching Richard Spencer in his dumb smug face is an act of defense for all the people his words and his kind of filth have hurt.

Jack Gladney posted:

There is a certain poetic justice in burning them alive, yes. If you haven't realized by his candlelight dinner where he prepares the brutal torture of two unknowing men, Kevin McAllister is a psychopath.

I prefer to believe that The Good Son is actually a stealth Home Alone 3 and the events of the movie show us Kevin's complete transformation into full on remorseless psychopathic murderer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Every Nicholson line reading in that scene is perfect.

"I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

weekly font posted:

Keaton's "YOU WANNA GET NUTS?!" wins for me but that is so loving close with the perfect Prince soundtrack and how frenetic the direction on Joker's, erm, redesigning is.

My favorite line read in that whole movie is "You set me up over a woman. A WOMAN! You must be insane."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Timby posted:

The right has somehow made anti-intellectualism not only acceptable, but a virtue, which is just incomprehensible to me.

"dumbass egghead liberals in their ivy-league ivory towers! get a real job you lefty art major fags!" - a huge percentage of the population

Timby posted:

Ledger's "hhhhiiiiiii" in Dent's hospital room is brilliant, though. Cracks me up every time.

His performance is awesome, I just miss that "murder funhouse" tone.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Timby posted:

The right has somehow made anti-intellectualism not only acceptable, but a virtue, which is just incomprehensible to me.

That's a large cornerstone of embracing a populist movement - appeal to the less-educated by demonizing intellectualism. Republicans hitched their wagon to that cart since at least Nixon's use of the Southern Strategy.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

With Take Shelter and Midnight Special, Shannon shot up to being one of my favorite actors.

You know what he was great in too? Premium Rush. I could watch that from start to finish any time it's on, even censored on cable TV. He's just wonderfully smarmy, right to the hilt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Premium Rush was made to randomly be shown on TBS and I mean that with the most affection possible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Sudden fond memories of everyone looking forward to the summer to watch re-runs of The Simpsons.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

SimonCat posted:

The sex scene in Three Days of the Condor is really out of no where. Robert Redford kidnaps a girl, tells her a crazy story about the CIA and she just goes for it. Maybe it was to distract him? Doesn't seem like it.

Yeah that poo poo weirded me out too when I first saw that movie a couple years back. Pretty good movie aside from that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite line read in that whole movie is "You set me up over a woman. A WOMAN! You must be insane."

When The Dark Knight came out I remember the internet all came together to declare Heath Ledger as the ultimate portrayal of that character and that Jack Nicholson and that whole movie were total crap. I think it's died down since, but I still can't believe people ever thought that. Heath Ledger was interesting in the role for sure, but come the gently caress on. Jack Nicholson completely outclasses him in every way and the Tim Burton movies are just so much more fun than the Christopher Nolan series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean, even as I've cooled a whole hell of a lot on the Nolan movies, I do think Ledger's performance is a more accomplished one than Jack's, but Jack's is definitely way more fun.

It never struck me until this viewing how funny it is that in Batman '89 they give Joker a name and it's Jack N., seemingly as official endorsement of having Nicholson just be himself.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 23, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, Lil Mama, you were talkin' some jive before about how Blair Witch wasn't staying with you to the extent you thought it would - so I just wanted to say I'm actually having the opposite experience. I'm so confident that it's my favorite Wingard film so far that it's even making me consider giving The Guest another try.

It's like a perfection of You're Next, by which I mean this is the one where Wingard's horror chops match what has always been his more fluent mastery of dysfunctional melodrama.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

It kind of plays like in another universe it was a critically acclaimed tv series cancelled after the first season that became popular on dvd, but we're just seeing some kind of highlight reel. The cult and Adam Driver stuff was just begging to be fleshed out with more scenes, but just kind of falls flat without more characterization or interaction with other characters. It's got this powerful Spielberg funk on it that works great for the stoic men at the center, but it kind of seems like we're only seeing half a movie when it's all people staring in curiosity or wonder.

It's from a universe where Serenity was good. I don't agree that it falls flat, but I totally agree that Driver's investigation and the cult and Dunst and Egerton's characters feel like there is so much just outside our view. I like that, the movie could easily have spiraled out into a bloated, backstory heavy mess, and this is not a we needed solo movies for every member of rogue squadron argument. But I wonder if there wasn't a trilogy or two films there, and if the problem might have been that the non existent prequel was actually the more interesting part, but this is the part Nichols wanted to tell.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, even as I've cooled a whole hell of a lot on the Nolan movies, I do think Ledger's performance is a more accomplished one than Jack's, but Jack's is definitely way more fun.

It never struck me until this viewing how funny it is that in Batman '89 they give Joker a name and it's Jack N., seemingly as official endorsement of having Nicholson just be himself.

It's barely the same character. It's fine to like both. Hell, you can love em if you wanna!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's also kind of cool because "Napier" is most likely a reference to Alan Napier, who played Alfred on the old Batman tv show.

DeimosRising posted:

It's barely the same character. It's fine to like both. Hell, you can love em if you wanna!

I'm not saying I don't like the new movies, I just like the Tim Burton ones way more and they're considerably more fun to watch which makes me watch more.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://twitter.com/Choplogik/status/823373079074091008
https://twitter.com/mechapoetic/status/823381354855415808

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Premium Rush was made to randomly be shown on TBS and I mean that with the most affection possible.

There are very few movies that depict the Triads as more morally just than the NYPD.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, even as I've cooled a whole hell of a lot on the Nolan movies

I still think Begins is part of the comic movie canon alongside Blade, but after rewatching them over the past month or so, I've really come around even more on Rises -- take out the silly-rear end Daggett subplot and replace it with more of Gordon being subverted from the inside by the jackwagons like Matthew Modine and I think you have a really loving great movie there -- while The Dark Knight would be a mess without Ledger. It's just so, so bloated, and it has a huge issue in that the awe that everyone has for Dent is just completely unearned. Replace Rachel with Dent in Begins and then you have a great story.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

K. Waste posted:

Yo, Lil Mama, you were talkin' some jive before about how Blair Witch wasn't staying with you to the extent you thought it would - so I just wanted to say I'm actually having the opposite experience. I'm so confident that it's my favorite Wingard film so far that it's even making me consider giving The Guest another try.

It's like a perfection of You're Next, by which I mean this is the one where Wingard's horror chops match what has always been his more fluent mastery of dysfunctional melodrama.

I rewatched it yesterday and I still love the ending. It's a movie that eats itself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's a movie that eats itself.

nice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See to me The Dark Knight is pretty bloated and shoddily written, but The Dark Knight Rises is an outright catastrophe. There are at least four or five subplots that have no business being in there at all. Everything involving Matthew Modine, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Marion Cotillard is disastrously bad, and there's a lot of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See to me The Dark Knight is pretty bloated and shoddily written, but The Dark Knight Rises is an outright catastrophe. There are at least four or five subplots that have no business being in there at all. Everything involving Matthew Modine, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Marion Cotillard is disastrously bad, and there's a lot of it.

I keep saying that Nolan needs to work with a writer who isn't himself or his brother. As adept as he is, technically speaking, he really has no sense of killing the babies when it comes to a script.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SimonCat posted:

The sex scene in Three Days of the Condor is really out of no where. Robert Redford kidnaps a girl, tells her a crazy story about the CIA and she just goes for it. Maybe it was to distract him? Doesn't seem like it.

I think it's supposed to be them relieving the crazy stress of their experience/stockholm syndrome, but it makes sense considering how women are treated in movies from that era.

Although I would just like to point out how handily xXx: The Return of Xander Cage passes the Bechdel test.

ElectricSheep posted:

You know what he was great in too? Premium Rush. I could watch that from start to finish any time it's on, even censored on cable TV. He's just wonderfully smarmy, right to the hilt.

It's such a fun movie, and Shannon is great. His whole "suck it, douchebag" monologue is beautiful. But the scene where he gets killed is kind of horrifying, in a way that I think weirdly gives it depth.

Holy poo poo Premium Rush is 5 years old.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I rewatched it yesterday and I still love the ending. It's a movie that eats itself.

I've heard Marilyn Manson had his bottom ribs surgically removed so he could do that.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
premium rush is so good

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
my one complaint about the movie is that they put an actual plot in there for michael shannon instead of just having him be a psycho cop trying to murder a bike messenger for being rude to him

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The biggest beef i have with all the Spiderman reboots is none of them have Spiderman getting hit on the head with a brick.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The biggest beef i have with all the Spiderman reboots is none of them have Spiderman getting hit on the head with a brick.

At least ASM2 features the battle between him an his arch nemesis: a truck (Fappo!)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coffee And Pie posted:

At least ASM2 features the battle between him an his arch nemesis: a truck (Fappo!)

lmao

Waiting impatiently for a surreal, hallucinogenic adaptation of Apartment 3-G, which got notably demented in its final years as its creators aged out of their skillsets.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZh_xg22Qk

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

That's what terrifies me. My wife is a teacher and works for the University of Wisconsin, which has eaten almost a billion dollars in funding cuts since Governor Walker took office (and everyone at UW is walking on pins and needles, since the governor is set to deliver his biennial budget proposal in a couple of weeks). Wisconsin Republicans actually had the gall to accuse UW's chancellor and president of malfeasance because there were a few hundred million dollars in an emergency reserve fund. Like, how dare a higher education institution have a rainy day fund?

Already, my wife's position was eliminated once (the news was delivered the day after Christmas a few years ago) and she had to re-apply for the same position in a different center, and now that department is looking at cutbacks.

The whole idea is that people who eschew education as a virtue likely don't see anything out of life outside their own town or city. I've worked with people who have never been to Atlanta, despite living less than two hours away.

What it points more toward is the lack of desire. If you lack the desire to learn and explore, what's the point of even living?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Egbert Souse posted:

If you lack the desire to learn and explore, what's the point of even living?
I mean.. Nascar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I own hot toys of both Jack and Heath's joker and I treasure them. Both are icons and incredible.

Also did anyone add a hat and the Indy theme to that Spencer vid yet? I wanna do it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Egbert Souse posted:

The whole idea is that people who eschew education as a virtue likely don't see anything out of life outside their own town or city. I've worked with people who have never been to Atlanta, despite living less than two hours away.

What it points more toward is the lack of desire. If you lack the desire to learn and explore, what's the point of even living?

I think it goes further than that to the extent that many of these individuals authentically see themselves as well-educated, well-traveled, well-experienced - and in the cases of more privileged individuals who espouse conservative or far-right ideology, that very well may be the case. The problem is that they see no distinction between their own anecdotal capacity to simply gather information and the facilitation of a very specific kind of educational culture that requires you to both discover and interpret facts... and then talk to other human beings in a respectful manner about what you believe, submitting to other educated people to check not only your facts, but your analysis, you're entire framework.

Most of the folks I know who bent alt-right right around the middle of Obama's second term genuinely see themselves as more intellectual, but insist that no collective institution could be as good as your own experience. The alt-right doesn't even really see a distinction between private and public education - that poo poo is old fashioned, now. Rather, the rhetoric now is that private institutions are just as bad because they attract the same "cultural Marxism" and de-valuation of degrees. When the student body at my alma mater finally started bucking hard against the administrations flimsy policies regarding addressing the culture of racism and sexism on the campus, the alt-right kids I knew very quickly adopted the mantra that these individuals should just drop out, not because they were ruining everyone else's education, but based on the false-sympathy that it would be better for them to no longer invest in institutions that not only oppress them, but can't possibly guarantee that their 'accreditation' will have any significant outcome on their career prospects. Within this framework, capitalism has actually made the subject of private versus public education irrelevant - even the best private universities in the country are viewed by the alt-right as degree mills filled with "useful idiots" that collectively devalue education, which can only enhance the life of the individual pursuer, but has no tangible connection to what's best for society or the economy.

This is why cats like Shaun & Jen and Hbomberguy can actually make a pretty consistent hobby - and potentially even some supplementary income - just by doing high school-level fact-checking of alt-right vloggers. It's akin to when your friend has an irrational phobia of dying in a plane crash, even though they are statistically safer on the plane than they are, like, left completely to their own devices. Now, imagine if that friend was convinced that commercial air travel was a Marxist conspiracy.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 23, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right? We have had pleasant discussions so far. But they don't live in rural Colorado and or work on a farm.

Those people I feel are not gonna be helped.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right?

Set them on fire.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The thing that gets me is how viciously spiteful a lot of right-wing people are. They legitimately hate anyone who isn't them, and physically abhor the idea of helping less fortunate people. It's really shameful.

edit: and of course they all call themselves christians. That poo poo's hosed up.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 23, 2017

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right? We have had pleasant discussions so far. But they don't live in rural Colorado and or work on a farm.

Those people I feel are not gonna be helped.

Why can't people in rural areas be helped?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The thing that gets me is how viciously spiteful a lot of right-wing people are. They legitimately hate anyone who isn't them, and physically abhor the idea of helping less fortunate people. It's really shameful.

I had the sever with a friend after he started tweeting about Sandy Hook conspiracy theories - not because he authentically believed them, but because he was already pre-disposed to the position that, regardless of what the facts were, they were being twisted to support gun control, so he might as well proliferate the conspiracy simply to undermine the credibility of the government.

But that's just par of the course in the ecosystem of the alt-right. It can't even be called an 'echo chamber,' because deliberate falsity is cherished as the only way to conform the 'useful idiots' to the correct ideology. These are people who un-ironically share videos of interviews with (self-proclaimed) ex-KGB agents discussing counter-intelligence and cultural Marxism and say, "Hey, we can do that!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So, would anybody..... like, a peanut?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I think it goes further than that to the extent that many of these individuals authentically see themselves as well-educated, well-traveled, well-experienced - and in the cases of more privileged individuals who espouse conservative or far-right ideology, that very well may be the case. The problem is that they see no distinction between their own anecdotal capacity to simply gather information and the facilitation of a very specific kind of educational culture that requires you to both discover and interpret facts... and then talk to other human beings in a respectful manner about what you believe, submitting to other educated people to check not only your facts, but your analysis, you're entire framework.

Most of the folks I know who bent alt-right right around the middle of Obama's second term genuinely see themselves as more intellectual, but insist that no collective institution could be as good as your own experience. The alt-right doesn't even really see a distinction between private and public education - that poo poo is old fashioned, now. Rather, the rhetoric now is that private institutions are just as bad because they attract the same "cultural Marxism" and de-valuation of degrees. When the student body at my alma mater finally started bucking hard against the administrations flimsy policies regarding addressing the culture of racism and sexism on the campus, the alt-right kids I knew very quickly adopted the mantra that these individuals should just drop out, not because they were ruining everyone else's education, but based on the false-sympathy that it would be better for them to no longer invest in institutions that not only oppress them, but can't possibly guarantee that their 'accreditation' will have any significant outcome on their career prospects. Within this framework, capitalism has actually made the subject of private versus public education irrelevant - even the best private universities in the country are viewed by the alt-right as degree mills filled with "useful idiots" that collectively devalue education, which can only enhance the life of the individual pursuer, but has no tangible connection to what's best for society or the economy.

This is why cats like Shaun & Jen and Hbomberguy can actually make a pretty consistent hobby - and potentially even some supplementary income - just by doing high school-level fact-checking of alt-right vloggers. It's akin to when your friend has an irrational phobia of dying in a plane crash, even though they are statistically safer on the plane than they are, like, left completely to their own devices. Now, imagine if that friend was convinced that commercial air travel was a Marxist conspiracy.

What's funny is that I went into college right-wing and went more libertarian, then got more left-wing when I got my first full time job out of college.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: and of course they all call themselves christians. That poo poo's hosed up.

It's definitely spite. I was raised a devout Catholic, which is one reason why I've kind of backed away from organized religion in general. My breaking point was hearing other Catholics trash talking Pope Francis about stuff that no Catholic (or Christian) should ever have a problem with. What sort of hosed up world is it when Christians can't even be as Christian in principle as non-believers?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have hit the perfect sousement level where my drawing hand's got good and loose. I love drawing in bars.

• Locked thread