Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
the later seasons have some good episodes, but a lot of clunkers too

not entirely devoid of merit, but not on the same level as the classic seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I think it was hit or miss after the HD transition, but it's purely subjective.

It's tough to argue the show shouldn't have ended at Luanne's wedding, though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it definitely starts to suck in the last few seasons

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was King of the Hill any good in its later seasons? I used to watch it all the time, but fell out of habit around season 7.

It kept up a pretty high standard of quality for its entire run, I'd say. The characters got kind of different towards the end, and lord knows there were some clunkers (I still can't believe what a loving slog "24 Hour Propane People" is) but it also gave us Tom Petty, so... it's all worth at least a watch.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i like all of it and i hope you do too

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Gilbert is still the best non-lead character.

"How long have you been sitting there?"

"35 years..."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hawowanlawow posted:

Nah, suck's too strong a word. We save that for latter day simpsons. KotH does have a similar problem of all shows that go on too long in that the characters kinda become cartoonish parodies of themselves but there were still good to great moments every episode nearly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

haljordan posted:

"35 years..."

I've always been a creeper.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, the addition of Lucky is only wonderful, especially once you realize his f-d up teeth are how everyone's were supposed to look in the original show pitch. The network nixed it is the story I've heard, but Mike Judge does not let creative flourishes disappear, he holds on to them.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I still call baby changing stations "baby ironing boards."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hawowanlawow posted:

but square footed monster is a late-series episode

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like the Bobby Meat Judge episode and also the one where Peggy gives bad mothering advice to Luanne

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

but square footed monster is a late-series episode

"I didn't hear a single nail get hammered"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I think it was hit or miss after the HD transition, but it's purely subjective.

It's tough to argue the show shouldn't have ended at Luanne's wedding, though.

For those who haven't heard they've confirmed that the wedding episode was originally supposed to be the series finale (which is why every side character is just randomly there, like Junichero.) However they got word at the very last second that Fox had renewed so they pulled the original end of the episode. Which, interestingly enough, was going to retcon away some episodes by having Bill reminisce about them but then Hank says that stuff never happened and Bill just dreamed it.

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

King of the Hill isn't as good by the end.

But I would rather watch a bad King of the Hill than a bad Simpsons episode.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Later half Koth is infinitely more watchable than most other shows with 10+ seasons. But the later seasons have more misses than hits. There's a lot of episodes that feel like an actual Hank Hill wrote them to complain about Myspace and whatever the youths are into. I still love the show enough to suggest watching the entire series at least once though, and just blacklist any episodes you don't like for later viewings.

The absolute worst episodes of the show are among the 4 that didn't air until after its cancellation. The bipolar Kahn one is all right, but holy gently caress do I despise the Tilly and Bill episodes. Poor Gary.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It's a show where you know if gets bad eventually. Not one where you stop watching. Which is most other shows.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Marin Karin posted:

The bipolar Kahn one is all right,

Sadness covers me like a blanket. Tuck me in. Let me die.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Console Role Player posted:

Sadness covers me like a blanket. Tuck me in. Let me die.

I will never hear Huey Lewis and the News for the first time ever again

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I'll never hear another Huey Lewis song for the first time again... :smith:

E: gently caress

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a show where you know if gets bad eventually. Not one where you stop watching. Which is most other shows.

Precisely. And the cast is good no matter what lines they end up with. And while I point to the HD shift as a watershed it isn't because they messed up the transition, I think KotH did it so much better than The Simpsons or Family Guy it's crazy. The animation quality changes completely in those shows but Arlen just looks more defined, it retains its character

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You can't do that, you're not a cop.

That's why it's just a warning!

All right, twister. It's just you and me now. Ten years ago you took my shed. [the twister's image is reflected on his shades] Did you think I'd forget that? Come on, bring it on! [a raindrop hits the windshield] GAAHH!! No! Please, let me go! [Dale panics, and the Dead Bug veers out of control]

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Right now they're retro-fittin' my mower to power Castro's secret escape sub...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pssh, you backing out on me, New Gribble? *wields length of rebar menacingly*

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"If you're calling me a liar I hope you're holding something sturdier than an umbrella."

"Nine-iron."

"Y'all folks have a fine day"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

"If you're calling me a liar I hope you're holding something sturdier than an umbrella."

"Nine-iron."

"Y'all folks have a fine day"

I like how quickly that guy pulled out a pipe wrench lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Marin Karin posted:

I'll never hear another Huey Lewis song for the first time again... :smith:

E: gently caress

Is Huey Lewis dead? Cuz that should be the topic title

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

haljordan posted:

"35 years..."

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've always been a creeper.

Gilbert is loving phenomenal and I laugh like an idiot throughout that entire episode, every single time I watch it, either in anticipation of his lines or because of them

it's like the baseball episode of the simpsons, it's perfect

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

haljordan posted:

Pssh, you backing out on me, New Gribble? *wields length of rebar menacingly*

...and I helped octavio bust up his fender...

Thats my M.O. :)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KOTH - I laugh at Tony Danza

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

KOTH - I laugh at Tony Danza

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

with apu gone the way of the dodo i wonder if the eventual koth reboot will include kahn

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

"35 years..."

I'm partial to Emily the Hall Monitor, but it's amazing how every single thing Hank says to Gilbert gets turned into a super-gay observation that makes Hank uncomfortable:

"So, Gilbert, how do the Saints look this year?"
"I'm more into Sinners than Saints, and Sinners always look good"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

with apu gone the way of the dodo i wonder if the eventual koth reboot will include kahn

one of the previously-unknown benefits of burning your bridges with your producer is that nobody will reboot your ip

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kahn's on the card, three fights from now. He's up against a soft-spoken go-rilla man.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So, how long ago would Matt Groening have killed himself if he had actually sold fox Life In Hell instead of some back of the napkin last second new characters he wasn't attached to at all

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Khan will probably stay because he was introduced to dunk on how ignorant Arlen was about Asia and Laos. He's stereotypical but isn't a stereotype.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
A white guy does his voice though

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Testikles posted:

Khan will probably stay because he was introduced to dunk on how ignorant Arlen was about Asia and Laos. He's stereotypical but isn't a stereotype.

He's Laotian. Ain't ya, Mr. Kahn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

snack eater posted:

A white guy does his voice though

Yes. We know.