Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm using a summoner build now and it's lovely. Grimmchild, Glowing Womb, Weaversong, Grubsong, plus your choice. I also had Sprintmaster to get the weaverlings moving faster. Grubsong is for maintenance; in most cases this lets the weaverlings keep soul flowing in fast enough to always have a few Glowing Womb hatchlings on you.

I've beaten the Radiance, the Trial of Fools, and several dream bosses with it. If you include Defender's Crest the screen becomes utter chaos, though I don't really like that because all the explosions make it hard for me to see and know where to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I put on my big boy pants, finally went into Deepnest and the White Palace and got the Hollow Knight and Sealed Siblings endings, and left off on the true final boss for later.

I find Deepnest and White Palace interesting in that they are polar opposites designwise. One of the games greatest strengths is its sense of place within the areas, and Deepnest leans into that hard, creating one of the most "I hate this place and this place hates me" areas since Ravenholm, and I mean that in the best way possible.

White Palace...inexplicably abandons that strength and literally becomes Super Meat Boy, right down to the buzz saws and is the nadir of the experience

EDIT: Annnd I just realized that I could have used Hiveblood for the health regen and saved myself a bit of frustration :doh:

FTW there was still some neat platforming though. Really, I just checked back a few pages and saw a dude being a major weenier about White Palace and the True Final Boss and now I am being incredibly self conscious

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 23, 2018

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I finally made it to the final boss of the trial of fools, killed the rider and died like a total chump to the rolly polly. This game is fantastic.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never did find the Nightmare Troupe. I do not care to fight a superboss, but I am short one mask shard and I can always use an extra charm notch or two (Still trying to perfect my "Burn him with magic" build for the True Final Boss). Are those available as rewards for that particular section?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you get a notch for beating the non-dream version of the boss of the grimm troupe i think. while he's not technically a "superboss" he's still pretty tough though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I never did find the Nightmare Troupe. I do not care to fight a superboss, but I am short one mask shard and I can always use an extra charm notch or two (Still trying to perfect my "Burn him with magic" build for the True Final Boss). Are those available as rewards for that particular section?

One charm notch is available (from a merely hard boss, not a crazy hard boss), the mask you are missing is from somewhere else.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Everything is now complete. Full journal, true ending, path of pain done, nightmare king grimm beaten, white defender beaten 5 times, grey prince zote beaten 10 times.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Everything is now complete. Full journal, true ending, path of pain done, nightmare king grimm beaten, white defender beaten 5 times, grey prince zote beaten 10 times.

i guess you're ready for the new dlc when it drops

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

i guess you're ready for the new dlc when it drops

Hell yeah, ready to slam my head into the next superboss wall that comes out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really like how the DLCs have been creating this optional endgame of hunting down and murdering superbosses. :allears:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's a shame the sequence breaking in hollow knight is so limited. you can get the shade dash first thing after the mantis claws, which opens up a lot of alternate pathways through the game, but eventually you get stuck at the teacher's archives where you need the crystal dash, so you end up having to explore most of the map areas to finish the game anyway

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think you can skip the crystal dash if you have isma's tear, not completely sure though

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

I think you can skip the crystal dash if you have isma's tear, not completely sure though

Don't you need the crystal dash to get Isma's Tear?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You need the dash to get the tear.

You only need the claw in order to get the crystal dash though; you can still skip a lot of the world.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/nintendogs_2/status/1020660896576593920

well this made me deeply happy in a wholesome way

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's a shame the sequence breaking in hollow knight is so limited. you can get the shade dash first thing after the mantis claws, which opens up a lot of alternate pathways through the game, but eventually you get stuck at the teacher's archives where you need the crystal dash, so you end up having to explore most of the map areas to finish the game anyway

There's not a lot of sequence breaking, but that's mostly because there are so many different "real" paths you can take.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Don't you need the crystal dash to get Isma's Tear?

ah. hmm. but, what if you didn't?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
the tear is def skippable because they don’t use it in speedruns, you just need balls of loving steel to do Fog Canyon/Archives. Might be some glitching involved in that though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

skasion posted:

the tear is def skippable because they don’t use it in speedruns, you just need balls of loving steel to do Fog Canyon/Archives. Might be some glitching involved in that though.

Nah, I don't think I found it until after I had gotten to the final boss.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah, you can definitely do without the tear. there are some crazy speedrunning tricks to go through some of the tiny gaps over acid without it, but there's a way to and through the archives without having to do any of those.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

There's not a lot of sequence breaking, but that's mostly because there are so many different "real" paths you can take.

Yeah, there isn't much of a sequence to break. After the dash and the claw, there's really not a lot of upgrades the game expects you to have at any given point.

And you can win the game having only beaten like three bosses.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Queen’s Garden Acid Skip is like frame perfect and hard to do, but also unnecessary - it’s faster, but you can just loop around through deep nest iirc.

For Glitchless Any%, you can still skip most of the game. The primary ‘sequence break’ is getting into City of Tears by dying outside Salubra then pogoing off your shade to reach the ledge above her.

I haven’t checked the runs in a few months and stuff may have changed though

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think I heard they removed shade pogoing in lifeblood and all the speed runners use an older patch . not sure on the shade thing though

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Took a screencap of this moment on my recent pc run to use as my desktop background, also got the moment of the knight challenging the final boss.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I didn't find the tear until after I had beaten the scrub-normal final boss :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Current WR (v1.0.2.8) skips both tear and super dash and does not bother with shade pogo, they use a flying trick to get to Blue Lake and actually for a lot of stuff. You can skip right up to the top of Lurien’s tower for example. The other big trick they use is the weird screen transition glitch that turns you invisible and lets you phase through poo poo. Worth a watch tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_TQGYA6l8

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Back at this game after a long break without finishing, and finally took on the White Palace for the first time.
The White Palace is good.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Arrhythmia posted:

I didn't find the tear until after I had beaten the scrub-normal final boss :shrug:

Same. Only got it after deciding to find all the charms and scrubs in the game.

I'm debating whether or not I should go after Nightmare Grimm. I feel I may just save that fight until the next expansion comes out and then do it and just get through the true final boss this go around.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

alf_pogs posted:

I couldn't appreciate it because I was in the gamer mindset of "WILL THEY GIMME AN ITEM IF I SIT HERE FOR X AMOUNT OF TIME???"

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

skasion posted:

Current WR (v1.0.2.8) skips both tear and super dash and does not bother with shade pogo, they use a flying trick to get to Blue Lake and actually for a lot of stuff. You can skip right up to the top of Lurien’s tower for example. The other big trick they use is the weird screen transition glitch that turns you invisible and lets you phase through poo poo. Worth a watch tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_TQGYA6l8

Thats because theyre using serious glitches, the NMG (glitchless) category is 34 minutes

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just watched Hollow Knight run at ESA a few days ago by Ushebti, you should definitely watch it (he even had a Hornet cosplay on). That crystal dash over the acid from like one pixel wall was hella impressive. Lots of other good stuff too.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

TeaJay posted:

Just watched Hollow Knight run at ESA a few days ago by Ushebti, you should definitely watch it (he even had a Hornet cosplay on). That crystal dash over the acid from like one pixel wall was hella impressive. Lots of other good stuff too.

That trick is super hard, the World Record run even has two attempts at it, it saves you a long loop around to Herrah though

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I really enjoying the first 10 seconds of Nightmare Grimm's theme.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Over There posted:

I really enjoying the first 10 seconds of Nightmare Grimm's theme.

hell yeah. after I beat the fight I tried listening to it on its own but it's just not the same..

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

b_d posted:

hell yeah. after I beat the fight I tried listening to it on its own but it's just not the same..

I really like how he had a dynamic theme on his first battle. Not sure if they did it for this one too.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
On the one hand I want to take off Dashmaster and Sprintmaster for the True Final Boss for something else. On the other, I can't imagine playing without them anymore :(

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
I didn't notice much difference on that fight without Sprintmaster. But then it only saves you one notch to remove it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

for fights I feel like sprintmaster is almost more useful than dashmaster - the regular cooldown seems plenty sufficient - EXCEPT that dashmaster buffs sprintmaster's speed boost a lot so sprint isn't great on its own :rant:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Zerilan posted:

also got the moment of the knight challenging the final boss.

That pose is one I'm definitely getting a tattoo of, eventually. I'm waiting for Gods and Glory in case they add new art or other cool stuff I could incorporate into the design. :3: Now I just have to get there and see it myself

Re: Dashmaster, I like it, but for some reason the ability to sprint down fucks me up every time. I don't know what it is, but I never mean to do it but I always do, which leads me to unequip it in frustration after I get turned into paste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

morcant posted:

That pose is one I'm definitely getting a tattoo of, eventually. I'm waiting for Gods and Glory in case they add new art or other cool stuff I could incorporate into the design. :3: Now I just have to get there and see it myself

Re: Dashmaster, I like it, but for some reason the ability to sprint down fucks me up every time. I don't know what it is, but I never mean to do it but I always do, which leads me to unequip it in frustration after I get turned into paste.

I used it for NKG and White Defender and most of the Zote fights, but I took it off for Zote round 10 for Fury of the Fallen since taking a hit with max un-charm boosted health puts you at one mask so it would actually get some use, and I didn't really miss not having it (and didn't get in on my clear so Fury did nothing anyway). I had it on for path of pain in case there was any sections it would help on but it probably messed me up more times than it helped.

Shameless plug of my Zote kill video though since I managed to no damage clear the 10th round of it which is like the first time I've felt like a bit of pride in beating something in a game. NKG and White Defender kills were a bit sloppier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnNfgnTQUjk