Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Almost as good as the SCG Tour's "Crying Nerds" advert they used to constantly run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Xbox 360 (lol) twitch app going strong but if I see this Mark Whalberg commercial one more time I may commit a murder

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

Xbox 360 (lol) twitch app going strong but if I see this Mark Whalberg commercial one more time I may commit a murder

I like when that same commercial plays 3 times in a row. That makes for a good viewing experience.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Last week I kept seeing the same commercial for some episode of Silicon Valley until I hated all the characters despite liking the show and all the characters

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
SHOW THE loving BATTLEFIELD, oh my god, come the gently caress on, they loving show only the players from when Muller casts his Harnessed Lightning, and I have no idea what the gently caress happened.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

80s James Hetfield posted:

I've seen the Heroes of the Storm ad play four times in a row.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I haven't been able to watch any of it, are the Top 8 decks known already? I'm guessing it was a fairly even split of Marvel/Mardu/Zombies, did UR, GB or the weird UW spirit list make an impact at all?

I also tested a bunch of Marvel builds and the Temur Marvel builds and the version with 2 Chandra 2 Bounty of the Luxa was my favorite.

Any Cut // Ribbons being played?

e: It's only for PC but the Streamlink Twitch GUI app is great if you hate Twitch and its lousy interface and how awful it is in a broswer. It will play twitch through a VLC window.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Muller hosed up.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Martin Muller with the no land keep earlier and now dropping multiple f-bombs in his top 8 interview. Awesome.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shovelmint posted:

Martin Muller with the no land keep earlier and now dropping multiple f-bombs in his top 8 interview. Awesome.

:silent:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Subtitling the Chinese/Korean players who aren't even hard to understand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Are the top8 decklists up yet?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Are the top8 decklists up yet?

The Top 8 hasn't been decided so clearly not

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The Top 8 hasn't been decided so clearly not

That right, I went to eat and assumed it was settled. Gerry Thompson and Christian Calcano are both in the top 8? loving SCG representing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The thing I love about this pic is that it's a left-to-right graph of best to worst dressed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jason Chung loses to the Ulamog he forgot to exile with Lost Legacy. It's possible he left it in because he assumed he couldn't hardcast it, though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Lost Legacy really proving itself to be one of the worst cards in Magic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Jason Chung loses to the Ulamog he forgot to exile with Lost Legacy. It's possible he left it in because he assumed he couldn't hardcast it, though.

there's no place Ulamog could be where leaving it would have an upside. Guessing he just forgot to check at the hand when casting it. I've done that before with crumble.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

little munchkin posted:

there's no place Ulamog could be where leaving it would have an upside. Guessing he just forgot to check at the hand when casting it. I've done that before with crumble.

Yes there is. Lost Legacy would cause you to draw a card and if you assume it's 100% dead in his hand (having looked at his hand and knowing what is in it), perhaps you'd rather not give him anything.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes there is. Lost Legacy would cause you to draw a card and if you assume it's 100% dead in his hand (having looked at his hand and knowing what is in it), perhaps you'd rather not give him anything.

oh yea, I don't play standard so I forgot it let you draw

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

Even if Fabiano only had 4-5 lands I don't see a time where you would leave it in the hand.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Even if Fabiano only had 4-5 lands I don't see a time where you would leave it in the hand.

If your opponent has land land Ulamog and he has 5 lands in play and you have, for example, a Zombie token and a Mastery (e.g. not an overwhelming boardstate, but still a clock), I could see it being a very viable strategic choice. If your opponent draws nothing highly relevant immediately you just win, unless you draw nothing and he draws a bunch of action.

Ulamog isn't actually that good in a deck where you have to hardcast it and it isn't built to hardcast it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 14, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Top 8:
1. Chris Fennell
2. Ken Yukuhiro
3. Mark Tobiasch
4. Christian Calcano
5. Martin Muller
6. Gerry Thompson
7. Eric Froehlich
8. Yuuya Watanabe

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So mardu ended up being a wet fart.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mardu was always medium-to-bad against everything that wasn't Saheeli.

I'm not sure why someone would pick a deck that has no positive matchups as their deck to play at the pro tour though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Decklists.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptakh/top-8-decklists-2017-05-13
Basically
1 BG energy.
1 BW zombie.
2 Mono B zombie.
4 Temur Marvel

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Jabor posted:

Mardu was always medium-to-bad against everything that wasn't Saheeli.

I'm not sure why someone would pick a deck that has no positive matchups as their deck to play at the pro tour though.

Half the people that play at pro tours are randos that won an RPTQ or got top 8 at a GP and are just playing what they're familiar with.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I like that zombies are good and relevant.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/863574845581213696

Life for a WotC R&D member. Even when you do something right for once you trip over your own dick trying to celebrate it and get owned in the comments.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Top 8 with 8 relentless dead, 0 main deck Gideon, what has the world come to. (of course, 4 copies snuck into a sideboard, it's not quite the apocalypse)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Top 8 with 8 relentless dead, 0 main deck Gideon, what has the world come to. (of course, 4 copies snuck into a sideboard, it's not quite the apocalypse)

Relentless dead sucks rear end, totally underperforms.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Mardu is still putting up 5-0s on MTGO. I don't think it's bad, just likely what wasn't played by the top teams. I don't think there is an obvious best deck which is good, the cat ban gave a pretty wide open format.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Where are all the torrential gearhulks? You'd think that blue control decks would thrive with so much Marvel around.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

uninverted posted:

Where are all the torrential gearhulks? You'd think that blue control decks would thrive with so much Marvel around.

The best marvel shells just replaced Sahelli and Felidar with Marvel and Ulamog. They can grind out most control decks.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
In my experience, Gearhulk decks can't always quickly close out the game before you hard cast the Ulamog, assuming they keep you off Marvel. U/R is great vs GB and Mardu, but only medium vs Marvel, and really struggles vs all flavors of zombie due to their fast clock and recursive threats.

Chandra, Flamecaller as a 4 of is spicy AF, good for whoever brewed that one up. It just had a huge spike on MTGO if anyone still has their copies, sell em before anyone is certain how good they are while they're in demand.

e: Looks like the only G/B player and two of the Marvel players were the only 6-0 players in draft to make the top 8, Yukuhiro, Froehlich and Tobiasch.

The number one seed has 4 Wayward Servant and 0 Relentless Dead, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Also 0 of the Dispossess/Lost Legacy nonsense and the full 4 Transgress, which again doesn't surprise me. All the threat light Marvel decks board into Tireless Tracker anyway, if a card like that is ever good, it's against a real combo deck like New Perspectives.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 14, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Life for a WotC R&D member. Even when you do something right for once you trip over your own dick trying to celebrate it and get owned in the comments.

all he had to do was say maindeck and the comment would have been just dumb, instead of dumb and wrong

also 16 aetherworks marvel isn't like, something to be proud of lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

clamiam45 posted:

You know what's better than a top 8 full of planeswalkers that wouldn't be that bad if there were efficient answers to them? A top 8 full of 1 card combo decks that are the equivalent of pulling a slot machine!