Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nope, all details of the WoL as a person are up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Zodiark killed less people than Hydaelin, factual statement.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope, all details of the WoL as a person are up to you.

Strange that the WoL is a war robot that was sent back in time from the future to protect the parents of some future savior: Alphinaud and Estinien. Impeccable fashion taste, though.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Whether or not Hydaelyn killed people depends on how you view existential questions like the transporter malfunction and mental forking. She divided people into 14 versions of themselves, but I imagine to each the only major difference was that certain metaphysical elements they were not keenly aware of were weaker.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ironslave posted:

Whether or not Hydaelyn killed people depends on how you view existential questions like the transporter malfunction and mental forking. She divided people into 14 versions of themselves, but I imagine to each the only major difference was that certain metaphysical elements they were not keenly aware of were weaker.

That is explicitly death and reincarnation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

First of all you are using that last argument against the wrong person, because my response to 'Azem is dead' is 'good riddance'.

Second of all, real hard to mourn the event that leads to us being alive.

Third of all, realize that your rhetorical approach here is taken wholly from Literally The Bad Guys Who You're Meant To Disagree With, so maybe consider the motivations behind it.

Fourth of all, can't even say that was a bad move by Hydaelyn even if it WAS intentional (which it was not). Remember that she was summoned to protect the 'new life' that was sprouting and the Convocation wanted to sacrifice. Her smackdown of Zodiark just made MORE of that new life, how is that bad?

None of these are cases that Hydaelin didn't kill everyone but just that it was a neccessary sacrifice, which is exactly the same rhetoric of the Ascians :P

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

For all we know, the sundering turned 1 world and X ancients into 14 worlds and 14X beings in an instant, no deaths. There could have been 14 weak Azems running around, hanging out with 14 weak Hythlodaeuses. We don't know that it was some life scouring event, only populated millennia later as new life developed from the aetherial residue of the former.

None of the worlds seem to have been exact replicas of the source world, thus why only the First has Amaurot on it and generally follows from idea of the Source being split by diffracting light, so as a very best-case scenario the new beings created by Hydaelin's attack would only have a very partial recollection of their previous existences.

Really I think Hydaelin just gets a pass because she's the WoL's patron and coded as a benevolent mother figure, but knowing what actually went down now it seems pretty clear the creation of both entities was a mistake an they both need to go in the bin. Everyone on the Source died because no one wanted to join Azem's PF group and resorted to different flavours of planetary genocide instead.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Groggy nard posted:

But there's no death in that situation. It's more like mitosis.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

jokes posted:

Is there a canonical age of the WoL? I'd imagine not but if Azem keeps getting reincarnated to be a goody goody adventurer/cop/soldier/chef/carpenter, it's likely that only the past up to 100 years have been during the WoL's iteration of Azem.
There's at least one NPC who refers to the WoL as "young", though you're free to interpret that as sarcasm if you'd like. The writers probably have a vaguely defined "young adult" in mind on their end.

Groggy nard posted:

Bob1, Bob2, Bob3, Bob4, Bob5, Bob6, Bob7, Bob8, Bob9, Bob10, Bob11, Bob12, Bob13, and Bob14 pouring one out simultaneously for Bob, of whom they all equally shared minds with to the moment of Sundering.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How many people she killed has nothing to do with her being evil or not either.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Except it isn't death and reincarnation. The game very much paints what Hydaelyn does as a dividing--the ruins of Amaurot existed on the First because they exist everywhere. If she strikes you, there are now two of you less-puissant than before. She did not kill everyone unless you define that act as a death which is up for existential debate.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

multijoe posted:

None of the worlds seem to have been exact replicas of the source world, thus why only the First has Amaurot on it and generally follows from idea of the Source being split by diffracting light, so as a very best-case scenario the new beings created by Hydaelin's attack would only have a very partial recollection of their previous existences.

Really I think Hydaelin just gets a pass because she's the WoL's patron and coded as a benevolent mother figure, but knowing what actually went down now it seems pretty clear the creation of both entities was a mistake an they both need to go in the bin. Everyone on the Source died because no one wanted to join Azem's PF group and resorted to different flavours of planetary genocide instead.

I thought it was explained in Shadowbringers that the first has the ruins of Amarout on it because it wasn't riddled in world changing calamities like the source was. They're probably still down there, buried under water off the coast of La Noscea if one would go looking.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

jokes posted:

Is there a canonical age of the WoL? I'd imagine not but if Azem keeps getting reincarnated to be a goody goody adventurer/cop/soldier/chef/carpenter, it's likely that only the past up to 100 years have been during the WoL's iteration of Azem.

The only things we know about the WoL is that they appear to not be native to Eorzea, they came from somewhere else, and they had a friend who drowned when they were young. And this may be the original thing which set them on their current path.

The most recent, likely previous incarnation of the played character that we're aware of was Tenzen.

We aren't sure how long people sit in the lifestream before their souls are recycled.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

I thought it was explained in Shadowbringers that the first has the ruins of Amarout on it because it wasn't riddled in world changing calamities like the source was. They're probably still down there, buried under water off the coast of La Noscea if one would go looking.

This is the explicit explanation that the Scions arrive at, yes. That the ruins of Amaurot would exist on every world, and aren't found in the Source because the constant Calamities likely eradicated all trace of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gearhead posted:

they had a friend who drowned when they were young.

This is the first I've seen of that. Where does that come up?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We've only had any real point of comparison between the First and the Source - we've seen bits of the Thirteenth but it's hard to say if World of Darkness is meant to map to any particular equivalent spot and given its issues there may or may not be anything left of the original landscape.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Gearhead posted:

The only things we know about the WoL is that they appear to not be native to Eorzea, they came from somewhere else, and they had a friend who drowned when they were young. And this may be the original thing which set them on their current path.

The most recent, likely previous incarnation of the played character that we're aware of was Tenzen.

We aren't sure how long people sit in the lifestream before their souls are recycled.

Where's the drowned friend thing come from?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Farg posted:

Someone heard their friend complaining about getting knocked off the boat a lot in Leviathan EX and decided to sign up for the game, and thus another WoL started their adventure.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay, fair enough on the existence of Amaurot, but in general the worlds seem to have greatly diverged from each other which strongly point to each of the diffracted worlds not being exact copies of the Source with lower power levels

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Farg posted:

This is the first I've seen of that. Where does that come up?

DRK quest, just as you start to realize that Fray is actually your dark side, Fray starts ranting about how they always hated the sea because it reminded them of someone they lost when they were younger.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gearhead posted:

DRK quest, just as you start to realize that Fray is actually your dark side, Fray starts ranting about how they always hated the sea because it reminded them of someone they lost when they were younger.

Yeah, that rings a bell. Neat touch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Yeah, that rings a bell. Neat touch.

Reasoning that the DRK writer has been the main scenario writer for Shadowbringers and Endwalker, looking at where Fray's mask slips may be extremely important.

Fray's 'Giving Voice to the Voiceless.' line in the lv 80 capstone for DRK is particularly clever.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 22, 2021

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

multijoe posted:

Okay, fair enough on the existence of Amaurot, but in general the worlds seem to have greatly diverged from each other which strongly point to each of the diffracted worlds not being exact copies of the Source with lower power levels

For all we know, the shards only diverged from each other when the Ascians started meddling.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Gearhead posted:

If your referring to the 45 quest, the friend he's referring to is yourself, and the incident is when you fought Leviathan

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Farg posted:

If your referring to the 45 quest, the friend he's referring to is yourself, and the incident is when you fought Leviathan

Are you sure about that, though?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zack Ater posted:

For all we know, the shards only diverged from each other when the Ascians started meddling.

They also probably diverged due to the butterfly effect or whatever you want to call it. Like Novrandt physically is literally Eorzea but with different civilizations and some localized differences (such as Ill Mheg not being covered in snow because Bahamut, and Lakeland being less full of weird storms because no Silvertear). If you take into account the Sundering took place several thousands of years ago, no wonder the Source and the Shards divereged.

Huh, now I'm wondering if the World of Darkness is actually mapped to somewhere in the source. All we can see is it's in a mountain somewhere, and that is suppossing the Flood of Darkness didn't destroy the land outright.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

multijoe posted:

Now they aren't. FFXIV doesn't seem to subscribe to determinism, and even if it did it has mentioned that where the worlds "fall" cosmically determines what way their aether predilections are tilted towards, such as how the First has a tremendously difficult time summoning Voidsent. The implication is that at the sundering they were copies, direct divisions of the original world, but time and these differences in placement have caused them to become their own things--hence why geography isn't different, but people who exist in the Source don't inherently exist on the First outside of direct callbacks and jokes.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They also probably diverged due to the butterfly effect or whatever you want to call it. Like Novrandt physically is literally Eorzea but with different civilizations and some localized differences (such as Ill Mheg not being covered in snow because Bahamut, and Lakeland being less full of weird storms because no Silvertear). If you take into account the Sundering took place several thousands of years ago, no wonder the Source and the Shards divereged.

Huh, now I'm wondering if the World of Darkness is actually mapped to somewhere in the source. All we can see is it's in a mountain somewhere, and that is suppossing the Flood of Darkness didn't destroy the land outright.

Considering Mt Gulg, my suspicion is that the origins of the Cloud of Darkness are very similar to Innocence, just under much less controlled conditions.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fairly certain Hydaelyn sundering the world was an unintentional side effect of her attack on Zodiark. Like IIRC in Shadowbringers it's stated that she struck with such force against him that it broke the world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

erenoyo posted:

I'm fairly certain Hydaelyn sundering the world was an unintentional side effect of her attack on Zodiark. Like IIRC in Shadowbringers it's stated that she struck with such force against him that it broke the world.
The presentation seems to be pretty clearly meant as 'all of this is a side effect of preventing Zodiark's buddies from just slaughtering all the newly-arisen life as part of their quest to just put things back to where they were,' and given that the go-to methodology for Zodiark's buddies seems to be "let's slaughter a cartload of stuff and have Daddy do it," one might reasonably infer that if THAT restoration wasn't absolutely perfect, right down to satisfying the emotional needs of the council, guess how they'd address it?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hydaelyn is the singer of "Answers" and "Dragonsong," which probably gives us an idea of what her general outlook is like.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cleretic posted:

First of all you are using that last argument against the wrong person, because my response to 'Azem is dead' is 'good riddance'.

Ok I just don't get this degree of antipathy and it frankly comes off as motivated reasoning? Like you're so mad that Emet-Selch matches a profile you've decided is abusive shitbag that you condemn the entire Amaurotine civilization and everyone in it with "Good riddance that that entire lost civilization was annihilated"? And actively want them to have Gone Too Far We Am Play Gods as the reason for their downfall?

Why?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jetrauben posted:

Like you're so mad that Emet-Selch matches a profile you've decided is abusive shitbag that you condemn the entire Amaurotine civilization and everyone in it with "Good riddance that that entire lost civilization was annihilated"?

Is it really so strange when they were just as eager to do that to all life that wasn't themselves, Venat and co excluded?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Farg posted:

I thought he was referring to the dumbass pubbie who always falls off the side in Leviathan.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it really so strange when they were just as eager to do that to all life that wasn't themselves, Venat and co excluded?

I'm pretty sure that the only way the game's sympathy for the Amaurotine faction makes sense is if they were referring to the engendered non-sapient life rather than sapients. The game's emotional signals don't make any sense if you view the Amaurotines as willing to annihilate everyone that isn't themselves in the Ancient world, and Venat and co explicitly understand and feel no actual hatred for the Convocation faction of the sort that would be expected if it was that degree of pressing moral sin. They just don't trust Zodiark's influence and think there needed to be a counterbalance.

Hell the likely intent was for the engendered life not to have souls, and their having them being a total accident; that seems the entire point of the vignette in Hades' story where he has to mercy-kill a maddened phoenix that accidentally got a true soul.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 22, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kyrosiris posted:

To be fair that was like 8 people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only way the game's sympathy for the Amaurotine faction makes sense is if they were referring to the engendered non-sapient life rather than sapients. The game's emotional signals don't make any sense if you view the Amaurotines as willing to annihilate everyone that isn't themselves in the Ancient world, and Venat and co explicitly understand and feel no actual hatred for the Convocation faction of the sort that would be expected if it was that degree of pressing moral sin. They just don't trust Zodiark's influence and think there needed to be a counterbalance.

Hell the likely intent was for the engendered life not to have souls, and their having them being a total accident; that seems the entire point of the vignette in Hades' story where he has to mercy-kill a maddened phoenix that accidentally got a true soul.
I figured the sympathy for the "Amaurotine" civilization is that they didn't cause this problem, they were responding to a disaster the best way they knew how, and as far as they could tell that disaster wasn't just going to kill some folks, it was going to destroy their entire planet. So they summoned Zodiark. If I recall they had to do this a couple of times, sacrificing much of their own team each time. At this point that civilization had been sacrificed even if there were some immortal wizard survivors.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nessus posted:

I figured the sympathy for the "Amaurotine" civilization is that they didn't cause this problem, they were responding to a disaster the best way they knew how, and as far as they could tell that disaster wasn't just going to kill some folks, it was going to destroy their entire planet. So they summoned Zodiark. If I recall they had to do this a couple of times, sacrificing much of their own team each time. At this point that civilization had been sacrificed even if there were some immortal wizard survivors.

Yeah, the first summoning is an understandable action under extreme duress. I don't think anyone's calling that out.

It's the follow-up that is the "whoa, hold on a sec" part, and where my sympathy starts slipping fast.

Jetrauben posted:

The game's emotional signals don't make any sense if you view the Amaurotines as willing to annihilate everyone that isn't themselves in the Ancient world

I will admit that the view is somewhat through the lens of Emet-Selch As We Know Him. I get that his disdain for sundered life is a mask and a shield now, but I can't help but wonder how much of that has always been around. It's hard to say, and frankly there's not enough points in his favor for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. v:shobon:v

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just realized that you could make a decent comparison between Amaurot and Brandon Sanderson’s Elantris.

Though I guess Elantris would more closely parallel Dark Souls.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, the first summoning is an understandable action under extreme duress. I don't think anyone's calling that out.

It's the follow-up that is the "whoa, hold on a sec" part, and where my sympathy starts slipping fast.

I will admit that the view is somewhat through the lens of Emet-Selch As We Know Him. I get that his disdain for sundered life is a mask and a shield now, but I can't help but wonder how much of that has always been around. It's hard to say, and frankly there's not enough points in his favor for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. v:shobon:v

I guess that's the point of contention here - how much one believes Emet-Selch's bitterness and trauma has reshaped his personality vs believing he was basically always a cryptofascist in disguise. I just don't really think the emotional language works if we don't accept the game's premise that Hades was, at his core, a basically good man prior to all this poo poo going down.

I mean even when he didn't have to, Hades (in his various guises) not only sponsored imperialist murder-empires but also empires of remarkable prosperity and creative freedom. Allag was both a monstrous expansionist hell-empire built on an escalating cycle of moral crimes and a prosperous and decadent height of human prosperity, it contains multitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jetrauben posted:

I guess that's the point of contention here - how much one believes Emet-Selch's bitterness and trauma has reshaped his personality vs believing he was basically always a cryptofascist in disguise. I just don't really think the emotional language works if we don't accept the game's premise that Hades was, at his core, a basically good man prior to all this poo poo going down.

I mean even when he didn't have to, Hades (in his various guises) not only sponsored imperialist murder-empires but also empires of remarkable prosperity and creative freedom. Allag was both a monstrous expansionist hell-empire built on an escalating cycle of moral crimes and a prosperous and decadent height of human prosperity, it contains multitudes.
Allag's role here is actually pretty nuanced if you look at it, and in a sense Allag is what eventually beat Emet-Selch. Both emotionally speaking - I don't recall if it's said explicitly but it would be the logical point where he decided to give the sundered folks a good full trial and was disappointed at the results - and because, well, if it wasn't for all this Allagan garbage laying around we would have never gotten the chance to kill him, or at least, not in this particular way.