Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Makes sense, that's why I only ride bikes with single pot calipers

Pfft if you really cared about safety you'd be rolling 100mm drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I wouldn't be surprised if that very post came up often, but if I'm thinking about the one in question, the dude arguing about the ABS ring was absolutely committed to it to the point that it was immaterial whether or not he was trolling. There was also debate about single vs. dual rotors and taking a poo poo before riding in the same thread.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that very post came up often, but if I'm thinking about the one in question, the dude arguing about the ABS ring was absolutely committed to it to the point that it was immaterial whether or not he was trolling. There was also debate about single vs. dual rotors and taking a poo poo before riding in the same thread.

Yeah, that sounds like the same one. If that guy was trolling he was super committed. But it is hard to imagine someone actually believing that to be true.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd dive into this page to find that guy, but jesus christ 56 pages of bitching about ABS

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/should-i-get-abs-brakes.1203903/

edit: oh wait, I found the idiot!

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/should-i-get-abs-brakes.1203903/page-4#post-31512633

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2018

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

I'd dive into this page to find that guy, but jesus christ 56 pages of bitching about ABS

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/should-i-get-abs-brakes.1203903/

edit: oh wait, I found the idiot!

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/should-i-get-abs-brakes.1203903/page-4#post-31512633

That's it. So good to go back and re-read.

I took off my wheel weights to overcome the disadvantages of ABS. I also took an angle grinder to the tires to reduce unnecessary tire weight.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Why couldn't the motorcyclist enjoy the opera before the fat lady came on?

He was obsessing over unsung weight

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love the idea of obsessing over an ounce or whatever of unsprung weight while adding hundreds of pounds to a 600lb motorcycle.

Also people on ADVrider are typically really fat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder how many of these middle aged ADV tragics are also gun nuts, aircraft engineers or model train enthusiasts. My anecdotal experience says all of them but NZ might be different to the rest of the world that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There’s a lot of low key and not so low key dog whistley type talk on there.

It’s a cesspool.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I had to get the Chrome website blocker to keep me from going to ADVRider while at work because I don't have the self-control to not constantly shitpost and troll all those skidmarks and their idiotic opinions.

Dangit I just went and got all heated up again.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've not noticed the dog whistle racism, but I have noticed the abundance of completely pathetic and desperate comments any time a woman is brought up in conversation. Or a hypothetical women. It's so weird and creepy.

Someone posted a video of a woman on a grom in the grom thread and people immediately suggested they have a "women on groms" thread wink wink nudge nudge augh.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just a friendly reminder that (grom aside) you've described AI/ CA circa 2013 and anyone whingeing about me or any of the other difficult personalities here should keep that in mind.

I say this because I recall a few years ago myself, z3n and a few other people got a lot of poo poo for suggesting that sexism shouldn't be a thing here, and now we live in the golden future where we can point and laugh at the retards on other forums for the same stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Just a friendly reminder that (grom aside) you've described AI/ CA circa 2013 and anyone whingeing about me or any of the other difficult personalities here should keep that in mind.

I say this because I recall a few years ago myself, z3n and a few other people got a lot of poo poo for suggesting that sexism shouldn't be a thing here, and now we live in the golden future where we can point and laugh at the retards on other forums for the same stuff.

I wouldn't use the r-word if I were you

Anyway I always laugh at the second-most-common (after "I'm far too good a rider to ever need ABS") excuse people use not to get it, that they ride really safe and so never need it.

My ABS has kicked in three times in the three years I've been riding a bike. Each time was when I was just bimbling along pretty slowly (cyclist diving out into the filter lane while I was doing 10mph down it, pedestrian tripping up off the pavement into my path, and the little escapade with the minicab going round the roundabout I've posted the video of).

You don't need ABS at all right up until the very, very unexpected happens and then having the freedom to just yank the lever back to the bar and save mental bandwidth to cry for Mummy look for an escape route pays for the additional cost a million times over.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Contrariwise, my biggest crash to date happened when I was a clueless newbie, completely destroyed a lovely bike and would've 100% been prevented by ABS.

I've also had several incidents where I narrowly avoided crashing out of pure luck that would've been non-issues if those bikes had had abs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

As a fat, middle aged ADV tragic, I am past needing abs, capitalized or otherwise. Would you like to hear about my bad back? Nags me worse than my first wife.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Coydog posted:

I've not noticed the dog whistle racism, but I have noticed the abundance of completely pathetic and desperate comments any time a woman is brought up in conversation. Or a hypothetical women. It's so weird and creepy.

Someone posted a video of a woman on a grom in the grom thread and people immediately suggested they have a "women on groms" thread wink wink nudge nudge augh.

men are just generally so poo poo

i'm working on a pilot's license and in some ways the experience is very much like when i learned to ride a motorcycle: every live human being I've interacted with in the process has been friendly and helpful and respectful, while everyone on the field-specific internet forums is an unbelievable failure of humanity.

example -- I was looking up some information about fuel burn figures and came across a post where a woman (username included the name "Kimberly") had asked a similar question.

:j: posted:

I was going over the Coast Guard reimbursement rates for private pilots and everything under 200 horsepower was like 40 - 50 per hour.

One day in the distant future, I might get a plane and fly it for them. Most flights are 5 hours, with one 30 minute fuel / rest stop in the middle for the mission.

Question:

1. How much (roughly) does it cost to fly a 150 per hour - gas only?

2. How much per hour if you also include oil and those types of things?

Many thanks for your answers.

:viggo: posted:

Geez Kim.... You should know the fuel burn of a 150 and also the going rate of 100LL out there...... Gallons X Price = fuel cost per hour.

My guess is a 150 is burning 5.5-6 an hour X 6.00 bucks a gallon = 33.00 to 36.00 an hour in fuel costs... :shrug:

I wouldn't even know where to look for fuel prices. Also I'm not sure how often people replace the oil since if I'm lucky I fly an hour or two a month and have never needed to add any.

Sweetie.......... AIRNAV is your friend.....http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Hmmm...

Let me get this straight....

You are training for missions related to the USCG,

in their aircraft,

and they want you to pay for fuel ??

?:shrug::shrug:.

Ben (or should I call you sweetie?)

No.

Post numero uno says:

"I was going over the Coast Guard reimbursement rates for private pilots . . . . "

So:

1. These are private pilots. They own the planes. I have not yet seen the planes.

2. The Coast Guard reimburses them as volunteers with pre-determined missions. Most missions are scheduled in advance through the USCG and AUX and are 5 hours. Anything over that time will not be reimbursed unless extended due to a pop up SAR that happens during the mission.

Thanks for clearing that up..............

When I see the wording " many planes we have in the fleet" I assume the planes belonged to the USCG.

And.... no need for the "sweetie " thing.. That phrase only travels one way, not the other..

FWIW... I have been through the CAP and some other programs, that at face value looks like a kool thing to do, only to find out they just mine the "new guy/gays" for enthusiasm so they can get someone to do the crap work.... I applaud your spunk, I just hope you don't get taken advantage of.....

Peace...

Ben.

:fuckoff:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

There are lots of people out there that aren't frothing brand loyalists. I think Harley could start making modern narrow angle twins bikes and probably do really well with them. The problem with Buell is they were just too loving weird / hideous / had poo poo motors (until the end). Harley would make an absolute killing on adventure bikes if they did it right.

BS. The XB engine was a bulletproof sweetheart with just as much power as a new Africa Twin. I've crossed this land on that motor a few times. It's designed for American 2-lane and it really excels there

I think Erik might still be in business if they copied KTM's adventure line right off the bat instead of doing race bikes that 3 people were excited about.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 27, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

BS. The XB engine was a bulletproof sweetheart with just as much power as a new Africa Twin. I've crossed this land on that motor a few times. It's designed for American 2-lane and it really excels there

I think Erik might still be in business if they copied KTM's adventure line right off the bat instead of doing race bikes that 3 people were excited about.

Believe it or not I agree that the sporty engine is really good and not anything like Harleys usually are, but it's also hopelessly heavy and cumbersome for a sportbike.

Also fully agree with the rest, if they had approached it with the intent to make sensible normal bikes that happened to be American instead of Japanese they'd still be going today. But that's also asking for Buell to not be Buell.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Every time I see a Ulysses for sale, I want it. I dunno if they're good or not, but they always seemed neat.

The Street Rod, on the other hand, makes no sense when you can get a new SV650 or FZ-07 for ~$7k. When I first saw the name, I thought they had dropped the VROD motor into a small frame, but that would have been too exciting (and probably bad).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It makes perfect sense because an sv looks like a cut price monster and the fz looks like a hideous bug abortion and some people want to look like a cool Harley dude but also want to learn on something smaller than a super yacht. Not to mention both those bikes are built on underpinnings paid for and lessons learned decades ago whereas the street models are coming from literally nothing, every single part on them is the first generation and unexplored territory for the engineering department.

They're kinda crappy because they're a learning model for Harley to cut their teeth on, learn how to build a sensible modern bike and then apply that to their bread and butter models whilst simultaneously paving the way for a more complete small bike lineup. Think Hyundai in the early 00's vs Hyundai now.

I've defended then before and I'll do it again: Harley are very clever, have a lot of resources and they know what the gently caress they're doing. Every new bike or model they release is a huge step forward compared to the last and ever-closer to the stylistic and engineering mean; doubling down on chromosexual bullshit in the 90's is what's making it so hard for them today, but they'll get there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm really excited for their electric unveiling hopefully later this year. But it might be too late, and I'll have a zero in my garage

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've defended then before and I'll do it again: Harley are very clever, have a lot of resources and they know what the gently caress they're doing. Every new bike or model they release is a huge step forward compared to the last and ever-closer to the stylistic and engineering mean; doubling down on chromosexual bullshit in the 90's is what's making it so hard for them today, but they'll get there.

And I hope they do. I can only speak to my test ride of the Street 750 (and to Harley's benefit, they were happy to let me do it, unlike some dealers I've been to), which was Extremely Underwhelming.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

men are just generally so poo poo

i'm working on a pilot's license and in some ways the experience is very much like when i learned to ride a motorcycle: every live human being I've interacted with in the process has been friendly and helpful and respectful, while everyone on the field-specific internet forums is an unbelievable failure of humanity.

example -- I was looking up some information about fuel burn figures and came across a post where a woman (username included the name "Kimberly") had asked a similar question.

1) ugh ffs why :cripes:

2) awesome, what you looking at flying? I've been looking into microlight in anticipation of when I finally have some money again, since licence training is only about 20 hours and comes to a bit over a couple thousand pounds compared to the five figures needed for a light aircraft PPL, and there's at least one field fairly close to me that has some three axis stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
At the moment just your regular single-engine land stuff (the flight school has a bunch of Cessna 152/172/182, some Pipers, and a couple of taildraggers) but my goal is to someday be able to fly a seaplane. The PPL can be a pretty long process and I just started recently, but once you have that, the seaplane certification doesn't appear to be that much more work.

I saw a transcript of an interview once, or maybe it was a book excerpt, with a German fighter pilot from WW2 where he pointed out that all airplane pilots also ride motorcycles. He figured it was because motorcycles and airplanes both bank into turns -- which is also the way that small boats and horses and human beings turn at speed., and thus the most natural way to move. Only cars are weird backwards outliers that lean to the outside of a turn.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
He never took physics in high school

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fats posted:

Every time I see a Ulysses for sale, I want it. I dunno if they're good or not, but they always seemed neat.

They're really good bikes. Pretty simple, mechanically, well designed. Bummer about that martini Monday policy at the factory though; they all come with something to fix.

Slavvy posted:

Believe it or not I agree that the sporty engine is really good and not anything like Harleys usually are, but it's also hopelessly heavy and cumbersome for a sportbike.

They are brilliant in a "sport adventure" bike tho.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harley makes really really good bikes that are somehow also not very good. They are a weird company like that.

They are ubiquitous here in Milwaukee, which underlines how monstrously sized they are as a company moreso than it probably does in other places. I’m confident they have competent and brilliant engineers on staff. I think they get muffled under the whims of the marketing department and their core contingent.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like Harley has this bizarre issue where some great designers lay out the front and middle section of the bike, and then they’re contractually obligated to have Uncle Lenny finish the rear in a “traditionalist” fashion. The first 2/3 of the Fat Bob and Roadster look amazing, but their tails make them look like a dog squatting to take a dump.

They just can’t let go of this bobber bullshit, can they? Level the Roadster’s tail out with the rest of the bike’s chassis, have an employee park it amongst some Triumph bikes at the local bike meet and watch the motorcyclists’ eyes bug out at a skinnier, prettier Bonneville.

Edit: The other problem I have how hideous and stupid their “accessories” are; it looks like an 8-year-old designed half of that crap. Note to Harley: skulls, American flags and flames haven’t been cool since the 80’s. I bet your designers die a little bit inside every time you sell something from that horrible catalog.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To be fair, the catalogue also features monstrously overpriced go-fast bits that look good and work well.

Also a great number of middle aged men disagree with you wrt skulls et al. And that poo poo has a lot less real estate in their range than it used to. Only Ducati come close in the dumb bullshit stakes though; my missus has a pair of Ducati corse flip flops - RRP $90.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

To be fair, the catalogue also features monstrously overpriced go-fast bits that look good and work well.

Also a great number of middle aged men disagree with you wrt skulls et al. And that poo poo has a lot less real estate in their range than it used to. Only Ducati come close in the dumb bullshit stakes though; my missus has a pair of Ducati corse flip flops - RRP $90.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/838/45603/KTM-Toaster

“If you ride a KTM you can’t eat ordinary toast for breakfast. This specially designed toaster gives an extra toast in the shape of the KTM logo.”

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Price your go-fast bits high, and as long as they look as good as the first 2/3 of those bikes that’s absolutely fair. Unfortunately, I don’t think any but a small portion of the Roadster or Fat Bob sales will ever see those upgrades.

Also don’t take me making GBS threads on their business practices as making GBS threads on their bikes, I genuinely like the bikes. I’m just pointing out (like many, many, many people before me) that pushing for the middle-aged men demographic is hurting them, not helping. Make the bikes look good so they work with anyone from 16-106 years old and you have a much better chance at seeing the mark continue into the future.

I’ve seen some dumb poo poo in the Ducati catalogs but never felt that the brand was marred by it, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’m too “young” to own a Harley, and I’m in my 30’s for Christ’s sake.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/838/45603/KTM-Toaster

“If you ride a KTM you can’t eat ordinary toast for breakfast. This specially designed toaster gives an extra toast in the shape of the KTM logo.”

There’s also the KTM shower curtain. Stop pushing lifestyle and get back to making sumos.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

clutchpuck posted:

Most people that want to ride sporty bikes want engines that rev above 6k RPM and don't have the other Harley characteristics. I never said the motors were unreliable or didn't make whatever power they made.

Slavvy posted:

Wow you sure were the savior of CA. I'd love to see actual evidence of any of these posts or discussions that you think happened.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Sure says oval office a lot

This is the only ktm branded item I need

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Sure says oval office a lot

This is the only ktm branded item I need

i have these and my kid keeps dropping them all the time

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Harley are very clever, have a lot of resources and they know what the gently caress they're doing.
Their sales numbers during the recession and this year might suggest otherwise.

quote:

Every new bike or model they release is a huge step forward compared to the last and ever-closer to the stylistic and engineering mean;
What do you mean by stylistic and engineering mean? Fuel injection and meager water cooling? I'm not sure those count when you're forced to develop them by emissions regulations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Most people that want to ride sporty bikes want engines that rev above 6k RPM and don't have the other Harley characteristics. I never said the motors were unreliable or didn't make whatever power they made.

Wow you sure were the savior of CA. I'd love to see actual evidence of any of these posts or discussions that you think happened.

You said they're poo poo. I don't know how having messed up expectations and wanting to use the engine wrong makes it poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

You're the biggest wanker here, gently caress off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Their sales numbers during the recession and this year might suggest otherwise.

What do you mean by stylistic and engineering mean? Fuel injection and meager water cooling? I'm not sure those count when you're forced to develop them by emissions regulations.

Water cooling sure, USD forks, monoshock rear, functioning brakes, less and less chrome as time goes on, more 'alternative' looks like cafe racer looking poo poo across the board, an entire new model range built out of nothing.

I don't know if sales numbers in a recession mean much, they just haven't got a huge number of small bikes selling across Asia to prop them up like other big makes do. I'd also argue when model cycles are 6-10 years it's kind of hard to turn poo poo around completely in a few quarters when you have to undo twenty years worth of institutional damage and s simultaneously learn a shitload of new manufacturing techniques and refine entirely new models.

Like I'm all for making GBS threads on Harley's dumb bullshit but they're in the same place Kawasaki was in the late 90's/very early 2000's and that ended up ok.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Like I'm all for making GBS threads on Harley's dumb bullshit but they're in the same place Kawasaki was in the late 90's/very early 2000's and that ended up ok.

Kawasaki has the entire Kawasaki Heavy Industries conglomerate to draw on for additional funding if the powersports group sees a downturn. HD has T-shirts and bandanas. The pinch they're in is a bit tighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
U got me Slavvy - totally proved it.

At any rate - if you look at the actual numbers / profits of HOG vs. other motorcycle companies, they honestly look pretty good. Instead of just guessing / making poo poo up you can look at their financials:
https://finance.google.com/finance?q=hog&ei=BASXWtHHF4WP2AbLh7roAw
https://ycharts.com/companies/YAMCY/pe_ratio
https://www.gurufocus.com/term/pe/PIAGF/PE-Ratio/Piaggio--C-SpA
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/szkmf/charts

Too lazy to really dig deep, but HOG weathered the recession far better than probably all the other bike makers. Things look to have flattened out a bit, but their numbers still look really good. If Harley decided to start making more modern bikes it's not like it's some insane R&D process that would take ages. Don't they buy a lot of their suspension poo poo from Showa, just start ordering up the more modern poo poo.