Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hey, people in glass houses...

Clearly the gardener was without sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
reveal the rock (post it post the rock)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if i get COVID 19 from a restaurant who knowingly made sick workers work, and i have documentation that the managers made the sick employee work even after being informed of the worker's illness, i'm too depressed to finish this question? I guess is a business liable for making sick workers work?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if i get COVID 19 from a restaurant who knowingly made sick workers work, and i have documentation that the managers made the sick employee work even after being informed of the worker's illness, i'm too depressed to finish this question? I guess is a business liable for making sick workers work?

the plaintiff's attorneys that survive this are going to have a bonanza.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nice! posted:

the plaintiff's attorneys that survive this are going to have a bonanza.

Is this the shakeup that will finally make society fix all it's stupid mistakes?

LOL

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

Is this the shakeup that will finally make society fix all it's stupid mistakes?

LOL

hospitals are all going to go bankrupt and get nationalized.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Nice! posted:

hospitals are all going to go bankrupt and get nationalized.

cool

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Speaking of covid-19, my apartment complex has just announced that they will be holding all non-emergency repairs and maintenance work until "a later date" due to concerns about contagion. I'm in Oregon - can they legally just blanket refuse to fix things indefinitely? My one experience with their standards for "emergency" was them taking their sweet time fixing a broken AC during a heat wave

This is hypothetical in the sense that I fix my own poo poo and actively don't involve the maintenance "department" in anything less than an emergency ANYWAY so I am completely uninterested in fighting this, but I'm curious how hosed my non-handy neighbors are

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 12, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I would immediately wonder how you would go about proving you got the plague from the restaurant, rather than from somewhere else?

Mr. Nice! didn't actually say posted:

hospitals insurance companies are all going to go bankrupt and get bailed out

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm guessing the causality would be "restaurant worker tests positive for corona, followed a week later by a bunch of people who ate at that restaurant on x date". odds of success depending largely on the size of the company backing up the restaurant, probably.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Leperflesh posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I would immediately wonder how you would go about proving you got the plague from the restaurant, rather than from somewhere else?

there are epidemicological ways to prove a specific vector (genomic sequencing) but managers are being very, very stupid about texting people to come in to work anyway so i'm assuming the infected worker is complying with my efforts to get their idiot manager buried alive in fire ants.

also? i'm a shutin so there's no other possible risk for exposure.

Javid posted:

I'm guessing the causality would be "restaurant worker tests positive for corona, followed a week later by a bunch of people who ate at that restaurant on x date". odds of success depending largely on the size of the company backing up the restaurant, probably.

yeah, let's just assume there's a preponderance of evidence including managers making known covid 19 patients work.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Known COVID patients or just people that are sick?

You’d have to die to make this claim worth pursuing in court.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You could always file a complaint with the state health department even if you don't get sick. In my state managers are required to send employees home who have certain symptoms (not just a Covid-19 specific thing) and are required to sign a form acknowledging this fact and are required to have staff sign a similar form. And I'm not in a progressive state, either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It’s unlikely anyone would make someone who has tested positive for it work because no one is being tested :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I assume the question is in some way inspired by this thing that's going around

It's not hard to imagine somebody making the call to definitely feed their kid/self instead of missing shifts because they feel a little feverish

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

It's not hard to imagine somebody making the call to definitely feed their kid/self instead of missing shifts because they feel a little feverish

It's a long proven certainty. This has nothing to do with covid-19, but it's obvious and known information that seems to be getting ignored in the "response" to this.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hypothetically, I now know *multiple* food service workers with flu-like symptoms and shortness of breath who (as former poster pointed out) can't get tested and are told to report to work reguardless.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 13, 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You can only get tested if you have symptoms and have been in contact with someone with a confirmed case.

You can see how this prevents people from being tested.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I hate this poo poo so goddamn much. I'm terrified and helpless at the same time. I'm going to take my baby and vanish into the forests until everyone washes the fascists out of the government.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

I assume the question is in some way inspired by this thing that's going around

Not sure how US's lovely healthcare/social welfare/employment protections impact that particular guy in Australia.
However, yeah, this poo poo is already happening in the US, except they're not getting tested both because they cant afford it but also because there are no test kits.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How much of a gently caress you is this? It seems pretty gently caress you to me.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/judge-james-dannenberg-supreme-court-bar-roberts-letter.html

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

toplitzin posted:

How much of a gently caress you is this? It seems pretty gently caress you to me.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/judge-james-dannenberg-supreme-court-bar-roberts-letter.html

Exactly as much as sending lowtax an angry post + ban request.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Are there any legal implications for mailing someone a print of pig-pooping-on-balls.jpg?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nevvy Z posted:

Are there any legal implications for mailing someone a print of pig-pooping-on-balls.jpg?

If you can get a public figure to wave a printed copy of pig-pooping-on-balls.jpg on national television it'll all be worth it.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

toplitzin posted:

It’s basically writing a letter to the editor about why you’re canceling your newspaper subscription. There’s nothing special about being a part of the Supreme Court bar

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

nm posted:

Not sure how US's lovely healthcare/social welfare/employment protections impact that particular guy in Australia.
However, yeah, this poo poo is already happening in the US, except they're not getting tested both because they cant afford it but also because there are no test kits.

The dude was a Nepali shift worker (legal resident) who had no employment protections in Australia, either, though he did have access to a test. Some delightful folks in that thread were calling for him to be imprisoned.

The world is crap.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1240750290321772545

How would rebates/checks like this work out for single parents with kids? Would it be dependent on which parent claims which child? Kinda curios as I claim one of my daughters and their mom claims the other.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Louisgod posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1240750290321772545

How would rebates/checks like this work out for single parents with kids? Would it be dependent on which parent claims which child? Kinda curios as I claim one of my daughters and their mom claims the other.

probably based on irs records yeah

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

toplitzin posted:

DEAR ROBERTS

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Are they seriously paying poor people, in worse situations, less money? This is a loving atrocious distinction between 'taxpayers' and 'people'.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

T.C. posted:

Are they seriously paying poor people, in worse situations, less money? This is a loving atrocious distinction between 'taxpayers' and 'people'.

The republican senators think it's "more effective stimulus" to enhance unemployment (which pays out based on people's salaries) than to give out lump sums to everyone: the current plan is a compromise between them, to still provide some cash payout, but to scale it to people's incomes the same way unemployment insurance is.

The white house/house democrat plan doesn't do that. We won't know what a final bill looks like till the house and senate hash out their compromise.

e. woops, this is the legal thread? Weird thing to be talking about here.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

T.C. posted:

You must be new to the US. Making sure the poor stay poor has always been priority number one on Capitol Hill.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

probably based on irs records yeah

Which is incredibly lol if you were, say, a successful restauranteur or B&B owner or travel agent in 2019...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Loeffler out here giving her lawyer a heart attack

https://twitter.com/SenatorLoeffler/status/1241018508001107968?s=20

Jk what am I saying she's too arrogant and stupid to have retained one

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Didn't Congress make themselves exempt from insider trading laws?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Arcturas posted:

That hasn’t been the case since the 2012 STOCK Act.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Arcturas posted:

which is why Chris Collins got wrecked. Sold some stocks, told his son to sell some stocks.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

T.C. posted:

here's the thing, republicans are hosed apart piles of burning caca which inexplicably run a huge percentage of the political and industrial empire, while democrats are content controlling a shrinking percentage of the entertainment industry which is rapidly losing out to White Nationalist Youtube Streamers, so like, i dunno buddy, maybe throw a brick through a senator's car?

edit- sorry if theres offended republicans reading this, if it's any consolation i'll let you let me hammer throw you into a ravine.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 22, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are the laws that governors are using to declare states of emergency and order things closed generally the same across all states? Is there an equivalent law at the federal level, or would the 10th amendment make that not possible?

What kind of limits are there on the use of emergency powers like we’re seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Could a judge or government official, like say a Governor, issue a blanket order for people who meet some criteria they decide (over age threshold but not serving a life sentence, for example) be released from incarceration?

Supposing there were some kind of emergency situation, like a pandemic.

Does this power exist, or would every incarcerated person have to petition individually?

I suppose it varies by state, so I would like to know which states might or might not. Like, could this dude issue that type of order in California?

Edit: to be clear, could this be done without legislative action?