Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It actually makes me sad this isn't that workable of a mechanic because, as a GM, I'd love to remind (or... not remind) players that they have to go back in time and fight that loving monster again to maintain a stable time loop and avoid shunting their entire party off to a doomed reality.

There was a thing you could do in Continuum (gently caress the superscript) where you could have older, stronger you pop in from the future to help you out. Things got interesting if the older you died, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It actually makes me sad this isn't that workable of a mechanic because, as a GM, I'd love to remind (or... not remind) players that they have to go back in time and fight that loving monster again to maintain a stable time loop and avoid shunting their entire party off to a doomed reality.

This is entirely workable, you just need to treat Time Travel as a story mechanic. Say a Time player has a bunch of Time bennies which they spend in order to use weird time poo poo powers. Like, spend a benny and "I'll just remember to come back in time later and hide my dad's keys behind this bush!" might cost a benny or two to use, and summoning seven future clones of yourself to aid in a fight may cost seven time bennies. Then have the player only able to regenerate these bennies by completing the time loops, and offer the player additional ones when it would create interesting story beats. "I'll give you two extra Time bennies, but you can't help in Jim's fight becaus you are off ensuring your time loops are stable." or "Suddenly a future version of yourself shows up, he needs your help seven hours from now! Have a time benny if you accept." And this is just off the top of my head.

Any weird inconsistencies that show up, you can either handwave away or write off as beta timeline stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The problem is that it requires things to happen before you or your players think about them or do them.

There might be ways around this, but this conversation is getting silly anyway. I think a SBHJ rpg would probably be a better idea, anyway.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

So I'm not a tabletop guy but I figured I'd chime in because it sounds like this wouldn't be too tough to implement? Homestyle time travel could be done in a couple of ways:
1) Just like Seoinin said, future-you shows up to help out in a fight.
2) The DM sends future-you (alpha or beta flavor) back with a dire warning!
3) Someone (you or another player) summons future-you for advice. The DM acts out future you, and chooses what information to reveal.
4) You go back in time and make little tiny subtle changes to set up useful stuff in the present, careful not to be seen or change anything significant. Screw up and you get beta'd.

Maybe give the DM an Alpha Timeline Log, to keep track of all the stuff that has to happen - some of which the players may know about, and some of which they may not. Again, I'm not a tabletop guy, just having fun brainstorming and thought I'd toss out some suggestions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And if you fail for whatever reason to travel back, the DM has to scratch the session :v: So it'd be a risk for everyone.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

glug posted:

This double panel update poo poo is really annoying to read, almost as annoying as the whole trickster section, or having to highlight to read all of the white text. At some point it would be cool if Hussie stopped hating his readers.
I'm sorry that you dislike creative layouts and site/story interactions, and perceive narrative experimentation on the author's part as some kind of grudge against his readership. Perhaps this might be more to your tastes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

One of the expansions for Fate Core coming out in the future is all about time travel and I think it has rules for that kind of personal timeline fuckery. :colbert:

Also, PW's idea is basically how fate point awards and aspect compels work in fate. I may be harping on Fate pretty hard here, but I've thought about it for a while and it seems like the best route.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Not a gamer either but the obvious problem with time players isn't creating stable loops, it would be how much more game they'll have to play compared to the rest of the party. Dave was in the session for a couple days to everyone else's one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's only one rule set which could properly encompass Sburb, and it is Hybrid.

Plus, if you read all of it, you will hear the whispers of the Horrorterrors, and a Cal doll will appear on your bed.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Well if you want to include the tumblr/fandom side of things, I'd say WoD would be the best fit.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
There's actually a Homestuck D20 already, but I don't know how good it is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The rogulike TOME4 has time altering classes, temporal warden and paradox Mage. They can slow down time for enemies, speed up time for themselves, they can revert the enemy to a childlike state (reduce stats), they can travel to a doomed timeline and explore the area, they can send a enemy a few turns in the future, and some more stuff but I forget what. They don't have a mana bar for their spells but rather a paradox bar. They can cast unlimited amount of spells but each spell raises their paradox. Higher paradox improves your spells but has a chance for a random effect to happen. High paradox can: summon level 1 neutral peasants, summon hostile/ friendly temporal horrors, buff and fully heal enemies, create copies of nearby enemies, hurt enemies, have doomed timeline versions of yourself help for a little while, etc.

I think time altering classes work best when you don't focus too much on time traveling in the past and creating time loops.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If I was going to run a Homestuck PnP game, my first and last stop would be Mutants and Masterminds. It'd pretty trivial to build any of the characters in M&M, and a system designed for superhero stuff is the kind of scale you need I think.

Any sort of trick Dave's shown off could be easily reproduced, and then simply given a Time Control descriptor.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

That would be funny, but for a more practical attempt, couldn't you just the Dave-like player 7x attacks per turn, but a 7x susceptibility to AoE attacks and such? It would be overpowered, but a lot of Sburb abilities would be, and you impose an ability cost on it with date points and such.

Edit: whoops, didn't see that addition page.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 5, 2013

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Bobulus posted:

That would be funny, but for a more practical attempt, couldn't you just the Dave-like player 7x attacks per turn, but a 7x susceptibility to AoE attacks and such? It would be overpowered, but a lot of Sburb abilities would be, and you impose an ability cost on it with date points and such.

Edit: whoops, didn't see that addition page.

Another neat thing that could be done with this is that each version of the player further into that players respective future could each have a slightly greater resistance to hit since each one has slightly more experience in dealing with the attack.

Though the main issue with this is that it would restrict the time player too much ultimately making every one of them pretty much a knight of time. And in particular it would make the knight of time all the less unique and the uniqueness of each class aspect combo is kinda what makes the system interesting in the first place.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Dogbutt posted:

There's actually a Homestuck D20 already, but I don't know how good it is.

d20 is barely good on its home turf; I'd be hells of surprised if a fan adaptation for as weird a setting as Homestuck were even playable

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

cathead posted:

I'm sorry that you dislike creative layouts and site/story interactions, and perceive narrative experimentation on the author's part as some kind of grudge against his readership. Perhaps this might be more to your tastes.

You're correct. My bad for finding having to hit back, then click on the next unread comic only to be taken to the same one, then repeat this process to be stupid. My bad for not liking not being able to fit the two comics on my screen at the same time, and having to scroll them around to read them. My bad for not liking flashing neon text and an absurd SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS section that the author himself abandoned, and other posters expressed dislike for. 7000 pages into this, I guess it's not for me, you're right.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

glug posted:

You're correct. My bad for finding having to hit back, then click on the next unread comic only to be taken to the same one, then repeat this process to be stupid.

Sounds like your browser is fuckin up because I don't think this describes how anyone else is having to read these??

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

glug posted:

You're correct. My bad for finding having to hit back, then click on the next unread comic only to be taken to the same one, then repeat this process to be stupid. My bad for not liking not being able to fit the two comics on my screen at the same time, and having to scroll them around to read them. My bad for not liking flashing neon text and an absurd SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS section that the author himself abandoned, and other posters expressed dislike for. 7000 pages into this, I guess it's not for me, you're right.

I'm sure that the brief period that these changes have been in effect has been a very trying time for you. My condolences.

Yeah sorry, you're not going to get me to think that Hussie should compromise his creativity and ideas (something which has absolutely defined this comic and made it as special as it is) just because a few people find the comic a little difficult to navigate for a couple weeks.

P.S. Ctrl+mousewheel and zoom out if you can't fit the whole thing on your screen.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

glug posted:

It sounds like this is a problem that you are alone in having. Why are you scrolling down to the next unread comic panel, clicking the most recent unread arrow, reading the comic, scrolling down to the panel, and clicking the next one? Why not just click the "==> ==>" button on the right?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The problem is that it requires things to happen before you or your players think about them or do them.

One interesting approach I can think of in addressing at least a few scenarios is that if the GM has figured out enough of that character/player's personality(which is possible since they'll probably have a few games before the Time players get their powers), they might be able to have future versions of the character just pop up where appropriate. It might be really circumstantial, however, and would probably work best with a cagier kind of character who's not prone to talking too much or giving a smorgasboard of spoiler information to their past self.

DM: By the way, it looks like another future Player has shown up, and he says not to enter that fortress without a skateboard. He says you'll thank him later.
Player: K. I'm sure there will probably be a good reason for that.
*Later*
Player: Well, now I see why I said that. Tomorrow I'll go back and close that loop.

Granted, this might only work in a game where there's trust and the player/DM get each other/have good writing compatibility, etc. Or, possibly just in more of a weird, fast-and-loose game more along the lines of the MC Intermission time travel.

Actually, the style of PS or the MC Intermission might almost make better RPGs, with much less complexity to their mechanics and plots. Especially if it lead to narratives that end up sounding like this, which is still one of my favorite pages ever.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think a SBHJ rpg would probably be a better idea, anyway.

I'll run it, but only if it's an all New Friend Geromy party.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

QVC Drinking Game posted:

Sounds like your browser is fuckin up because I don't think this describes how anyone else is having to read these??

Yeah, poo poo fits all nice-like on the page for me.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Also, the trickster sequence wasn't "abandoned", it served the purpose of (among other things) bringing all the built-up issues that were separating these kids out in the open in the most awkward possible way and then dumping them where they needed to be so they could try to talk them through properly while other poo poo happens in the panels above for our benefit.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh my god a SBaHJ rpg would be amazing. You would have to use 17-sided dice and everyone just learns random poo poo when they level up, like the warrior gets magic mussile and the cleric can breathe fire.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Oh my god a SBaHJ rpg would be amazing. You would have to use 17-sided dice and everyone just learns random poo poo when they level up, like the warrior gets magic mussile and the cleric can breathe fire.

And sometimes the GM just goes "No you dumbass, you're ROLLING IT WRONG" and disregards your rolls.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hey I got my SBaHJ dude rolled up. *dumps five pages of meaningless .csv values and misaligned charts on table*

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Ariong posted:

It sounds like this is a problem that you are alone in having. Why are you scrolling down to the next unread comic panel, clicking the most recent unread arrow, reading the comic, scrolling down to the panel, and clicking the next one? Why not just click the "==> ==>" button on the right?

Because it was working weird the first day he did this, and I hadn't tried it again :( it works better now.

And cathead, you said it yourself, it's experimental stuff, and some experiments fail. He's done a lot of interesting poo poo, I just found these few in particular to be more annoying than interesting.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

glug posted:

Because it was working weird the first day he did this, and I hadn't tried it again :( it works better now.

And cathead, you said it yourself, it's experimental stuff, and some experiments fail. He's done a lot of interesting poo poo, I just found these few in particular to be more annoying than interesting.

Well, I'm glad your problem is solved. Did you figure out the not fitting onscreen problem?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, it had some problems the first day. The left-hand arrow wasn't working properly on some browsers (I think) and it would happily serve up mismatched pairs of pages.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

glug posted:

I don't completely disagree (though in this particular case, that last set of panels with Jack really sold this current style to me), but to act like he's doing it out of spite for his readership is kind of silly.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

cathead posted:

I don't completely disagree (though in this particular case, that last set of panels with Jack really sold this current style to me), but to act like he's doing it out of spite for his readership is kind of silly.

Hussie's spite for his readers is a well-documented matter of public record. It's all part of the fun.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Personally i loving love it when Hussie starts experimenting with the layout and poo poo. Like when the screen expanded back in Cascade and it was all WOAH-WHA. Or when Caliborn basically hosed everything up.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
For what it's worth, the x2 layout doesn't fit on my laptop screen, either, but my laptop has a fairly terrible resolution so I've just accepted that's what it is. A bunch of wide website layouts get hosed up on it too -- I don't have a tumblr, but I follow a few artists on it, and often they have some unreasonably wide layouts that get treated shittily on my computer.

I really like this experiment, though, I think it's neat that Hussie is continuously loving around with how he tells the story, and this is one of the more efficient ways he's found. I'm really looking forward to seeing if he does a 2x sized monster of a flash.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dumb brunette posted:

For what it's worth, the x2 layout doesn't fit on my laptop screen, either, but my laptop has a fairly terrible resolution so I've just accepted that's what it is. A bunch of wide website layouts get hosed up on it too -- I don't have a tumblr, but I follow a few artists on it, and often they have some unreasonably wide layouts that get treated shittily on my computer.

I really like this experiment, though, I think it's neat that Hussie is continuously loving around with how he tells the story, and this is one of the more efficient ways he's found. I'm really looking forward to seeing if he does a 2x sized monster of a flash.

Control + scroll wheel (or whatever the equivalent is on a mac/laptop) will zoom in and out.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Yeah, I've been using Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- but overall it just doesn't bother me much. For panels like the Jack thing it's necessary to see the entire thing at once, but for the others, not really so much.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

glug posted:

It's possible I'm totally misinterpreting what the deal with your situation is but why not read the left half, then hit the arrow that's tilted, which takes you back up and scrolls right, then read the second half? (Then hit the ==>==> for the next two pages). That's what I've been doing and I think what Hussie intended although yeah it didn't work on Chrome the first day.

But again maybe this is what you've been doing and/or are doing now so sorry if it seems like I'm bandwagonning on you.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

GIMMEL posted:

I read a few pages of this and it was real loving bad. When does it get to all that awesome demon porn I see posted on tumblr and such??

The gray ones? Aren't they all supposed to be like 13 years old or something? That's sick dude.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
So my dad has decided he owes me for getting Stan Lee to bestow upon him the title of Fearless Front Facer and is going to read Homestuck. More on this as it develops.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rhinoceraptor posted:

So my dad has decided he owes me for getting Stan Lee to bestow upon him the title of Fearless Front Facer and is going to read Homestuck. More on this as it develops.

Before you continue, I want you to conjure an image in your mind of your father covered in grey body paint, wearing fake troll horns, wearing a shirt depicting his sign, standing in the middle of an anime convention. If you are able to cope with the idea of this reality, godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The guy goes on stage to play one note on a piano in different configurations for three hours at a time, and performs 80-minute recitations of John Cage arrangements of Finnegans Wake, so...