Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Can someone help me out with painting dark skin? I have been working on dwarfs (fyreslayers) and wanted them to be a little bit more diverse than 65 short white dudes. I am pretty bad at flesh in general and have been using this army as a way to practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The recipe I want to try is:

1. prime black
2. base rhinox hide
3. wash black
4. mix rhinox hide and doombull brown for highlights
5. highlight doombull brown
6. mix doombull and bugmans glow for highlights
7. highlight bugmans
8. highlight ubshanti bone

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Can someone help me out with painting dark skin? I have been working on dwarfs (fyreslayers) and wanted them to be a little bit more diverse than 65 short white dudes. I am pretty bad at flesh in general and have been using this army as a way to practice.

Its something I'm working on getting better at myself, off and on. Been trying to paint people with a range of skin tones, rather than all white guys, all the time. So far my results are okay I think. One tip I saw online (possibly in a GW video?) was if you are painting dark skin wash your brown with purple rather than black, it looks more organic and less cartoonish.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goonhammer has a helpful article on painting skin tones, too. It helped me out a few months ago.

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-human-skin/

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks everyone this is all good advice. I'll post some results and what I went with when I'm done.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Posting my BARC Speeder that I just finished:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Finished painting my murder buckets as a break after doing my Skorpekh Lord

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Xpost!

Moved on to the Indomitus box and Started with the Bladeguard Ancient this week.

I'm feeling more comfortable with my edge highlights also switched up the base with a rocky dirt and some grass patches instead of mostly grass.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat, I love that red & black colour scheme. Very well done!

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

After wanting to get into this for a while, I finally broke down and got some ork boyz. First 3 are painted. I messed up and got agrax earthshade GLOSS wash for the middle one so now he looks perpetually wet.
The wife and kids think I've lost my mind, but I'm really enjoying it. Still trying to convince her to pick up a necron army, unsuccessfully so far.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

nostrata posted:

After wanting to get into this for a while, I finally broke down and got some ork boyz. First 3 are painted. I messed up and got agrax earthshade GLOSS wash for the middle one so now he looks perpetually wet.
The wife and kids think I've lost my mind, but I'm really enjoying it. Still trying to convince her to pick up a necron army, unsuccessfully so far.

I wanted my wife to get Necrons, so I didn't have to justify another army. Might convince my kids too, though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nostrata posted:

you can buy a spray can of matte varnish which will fix the glossy look

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

That's good to know. I liked the color of agrax more than the nuln oil the other 2 have but I was worried about the shininess. I'll find some matte varnish to hit them with after I finish the rest. There are a few colors I'm still missing and need to pick up anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Frosty Eradicator. Tested out using a contrast paint on leadbelcher for a Mr. Freeze style ice cannon. I should probably mix in a little bit of blue to the aethermatic blue to copy the recipe used on the shoulders, or maybe use a brighter metal color as the undercoat. Oh well, this is why I try out new things each time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nostrata posted:

There are a few colors I'm still missing and need to pick up anyway.
just fyi this will remain true for as long as you paint minis (or do any kind of painting)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

PoptartsNinja posted:

Added a little more Halloween to my collection.

Here's the group together.

Now to decide whether to bother with a Slendamin.

You need a Slendamin, true, but you also need a Pumpkinhead! (saw that like you might talk about a kids show mascot).

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xposting

ro5s posted:

More bugs for the bug pile:

Just 15 termagaunts to go until my current list's all got paint on them, then it's onto repainting the old ones, but I'm taking a break from gaunts for now.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fingat posted:

Xpost!

Moved on to the Indomitus box and Started with the Bladeguard Ancient this week.

I'm feeling more comfortable with my edge highlights also switched up the base with a rocky dirt and some grass patches instead of mostly grass.

I like this scheme a lot, well done

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wrapped up a Grey Seer

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Still need to finish the guy in the back + some minor details and 5 more grots but feeling pretty happy with them so far

Plague bearer contrast + atmo camoshade + ogryn skin highlight is so much easier to do compared to deathworld forest + atmo camoshade + elysian green and ogyrn skin highlight for the snot green grot skin, I didn't really get contrast paints at first but now I am seeing the appeal

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Those grots own, I'm always tempted to pick some up just to paint them even though I have no interest in ever playing a horde army. Just really fun sculpts.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Deified Data posted:

Wrapped up a Grey Seer

Hell yeah.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after what feels like a month of not doing anything mini related, I decided to give the airbrush another go. As someone said, the issue I had in my first attempt was that the needle wasn't properly adjusted, which was causing paint to leak out, despite not pulling the trigger back. I disassembled and reassembled it (not on purpose; by accident in trying to fix the needle), and I tried priming a pushfit Space Marine Heroes Terminator with a zenithal highlight.

The good news is that it went a lot better this time. I think I managed to readjust the needle properly, as it didn't leak when pushing the button down. I got a pretty good overall coat with the black primer (Stynelrez). There were a couple patches of the red plastic sticking through, but they were small, and the coverage seemed pretty solid.

The bad(ish) news is that the zenithal with the white primer (also Stynelrez) didn't pan out quite as well.

As you can see, the paint is cracked, I think because it got sprayed on too thick. I remember someone saying that the Stynelrez white needs flow improver to get a better result, but I don't know if that was the issue here. Not sure how to fix it, apart from maybe sanding it off.

Another issue was that I think I screwed up when setting up the compressor. Towards the end of the session, I realized that I was spraying at 10 PSi, despite setting it to 20 PSi. I think what happened was that when I turned it on, it was at 30psi, so I turned it down to 20, but I think the reason why it was at 30 is because there was excess air or something.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, that is going on WAY too thick, but likely for a few reasons, one that you do want a couple drops of flow improver, but also I think you're pulling the needle way too far back. You should be getting a somewhat gradual transition between the white and black with the zenithal but yours is pretty much a hard line where the white paint is going.

You should almost never be pulling the trigger fully back, even when priming, it's going to put out way more paint than you want.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You don’t need to put white primer on top of your black primer. That’s a lot of thick paint once you get it all on. Ideally buy some white acrylic ink and use that for your highlighting (mix it equal parts ink and flow improver), or alternatively lay down a couple of coats of whatever regular white paint you have, thinned down of course

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks like Vallejo changed the formula for their model air mahogany paint. I'm trying to find something similar as a replacement. Anybody seen something that looks like this (the red colored paint in the very middle)

(the other pools around it are the new mahogany paints)

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 19, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

You don’t need to put white primer on top of your black primer. That’s a lot of thick paint once you get it all on. Ideally buy some white acrylic ink and use that for your highlighting (mix it equal parts ink and flow improver), or alternatively lay down a couple of coats of whatever regular white paint you have, thinned down of course

On the one hand that's a good method, but I generally do a coat of black, grey, and white stynlrez for zenithal priming and don't lose any detail. 3 coats of that are noticeably thinner than 1 coat of rattlecan. You just need to a) make sure to shake the white vigorously for a solid minute or so and b) use a light touch on the airbrush action rather than caking it on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you have an airbrush you gotta use inks they're so so nice

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, sufficiently thinned and shaken you'll be fine layering primers without loss of detail

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
gently caress off your white primer if you want to do Zenethiel work.

Buy this stuff. It’s incredibly affordable waaaaaay smoother and brighter than primer.

Inks are the business.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeast posted:

Buy this stuff. It’s incredibly affordable waaaaaay smoother and brighter than primer.

Inks are the business.

gently caress off with your white ink. If you have white primer it will work perfectly well for zenithal as long as you use it properly, which is trivial to do once you know how. There's no reason to go out and buy white ink for that purpose if you've already got white primer. I've tried liquitex white ink end the end result was pretty much identical.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Well, the ink can be a bit more delicate. I prefer zenithal with primer for that reason.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
White ink can also be painted with after priming tho, and mixed with acrylic paints to lighten them

They're great!

Buy white ink. Max Wilco, do it.

As an aside, I prime with Stynelrez Grey & black and they're great, their white is average.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress off with your white ink and white primers, you can also just use white paint

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Lol if you’re not just mixing your titanium oxide powder with water and smearing it on your models :smug:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BULBASAUR posted:

gently caress off with your white ink and white primers, you can also just use white paint

White paint can also be painted with after priming, and mixed with acrylic paints to lighten them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Lol if you’re not just mixing your titanium oxide powder with water and smearing it on your models :smug:

Unironically, yes, you could just use white pigments too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Get a basic set of ink colours so you can use any kind of ink to bring back colour saturation on your models after you've highlighted and shaded a ton

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cinara posted:

Yea, that is going on WAY too thick, but likely for a few reasons, one that you do want a couple drops of flow improver, but also I think you're pulling the needle way too far back. You should be getting a somewhat gradual transition between the white and black with the zenithal but yours is pretty much a hard line where the white paint is going.

You should almost never be pulling the trigger fully back, even when priming, it's going to put out way more paint than you want.

Yeah, I picked up on that partway through spraying the white primer. I was just having trouble finding a happy medium*. There were points where I had to try spraying the mat I was working on to see if there was primer still coming out, and other points where I'd pull back all the way and get a big splat of paint (which I guess would maybe fall under the umbrella of spider-webbing). I think some of that issue was related to the pressure not being set right.

The same thing happened with the black primer, but with the globs I got with that, it seemed like blowing air out on the point helped to get the primer spread around. Regardless, I get that I shouldn't pull all the way back on the trigger.

*There's a painting joke to be made there

the thread posted:

arguing about zenithals with inks vs zenithals with primers vs zenithals with paints vs zenithal with titanium oxide powder :pwn:

Yeast posted:

Inks are the business.

Only reason I'm doing a zenithal with the Stynelrez White Primer is because that's what I have currently (I bought the three-pack). I totally forgot about inks, though. I think I've seen that Liquitex White Ink used to do a white zenithal in the eBay Miniature Rescue videos or something.

Eej posted:

Get a basic set of ink colours so you can use any kind of ink to bring back colour saturation on your models after you've highlighted and shaded a ton

What brand would you suggest? I'm not familiar with what inks are available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Max Wilco posted:

What brand would you suggest? I'm not familiar with what inks are available.

Liquitex and Daler Rowney are the go to brands.