Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Klyith posted:

You almost certainly couldn't tell the difference in the first place.

There was a period where I absolutely could hear the difference but that was due to:
Not yet having blown my eardrums out at concerts
Had high-end headphones that weren't super bassy
Was mixing a lot so I actually paid attention to bitrate after struggling with some poorly encoded mp3s

Then I started going to metal shows :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being anti-FLAC these days isn't really as sensible as it was back when storage space was still a premium compared to now; the point of FLAC is it's lossless so you can transcode it freely for streaming. The file size of an album remains basically constant while the cost per terabyte has massively shrunk.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

One Blu-ray movie is 50 gigs, you can fit in 125 400MB flac albums. Even 1000 albums don’t take that much space at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What's the easiest software way to boot off a different hard drive? MSI's lovely BIOS doesn't let you boot off SATA hard drives for whatever reason, but I want to boot an older OS off a SATA drive to check a few things about how it was configured. I figure I need to do something like make a USB that can function as a bootloader for the SATA drive.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

rEFInd, maybe? Put the USB image on a stick and see what that does for you.

Not booting from SATA seems very strange, though. Are you sure you don't just need to disable secure boot or enable CSM (the classic BIOS boot emulation)?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Re FLAC/MP3, definitely put your music in flac if you want! There are multiple reasons why lossless is good, and if you have plenty of space why not.

I'm just saying, if you weren't doing blind listening tests of the MP3s, you were probably fooling yourself that you could hear the difference. Unless this was over 20 years ago and you were listening to MP3s encoded by Xing or some poo poo. Hydrogenaudio stopped doing listening tests above 128k well over a decade ago because not enough people could ABX lossy from lossless, even on problem samples.

K8.0 posted:

What's the easiest software way to boot off a different hard drive? MSI's lovely BIOS doesn't let you boot off SATA hard drives for whatever reason, but I want to boot an older OS off a SATA drive to check a few things about how it was configured. I figure I need to do something like make a USB that can function as a bootloader for the SATA drive.

The bios is probably set for secure boot only, turn that off to see the other OS.

Alternately your old OS is MBR old, and the bios needs to set to "legacy boot" or something along those lines.

It can definitely boot from sata.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Secure boot makes no difference. It sees the SATA drive as a device, it works fine in windows, I'm sure it's still completely intact, but the BIOS will absolutely not consider it as a boot option. Maybe I could force it to boot from there if I pulled out my M.2 drive, but it's under both my GPU and my CPU cooler so that thing isn't going anywhere.

It's a UEFI boot drive, it SHOULD just work, but MSI apparently DGAF and the M.2 drive is the only option for internal boot at least if it's present.

e - turned CSM on and back off again and it started showing up in the boot manager. Have you tried turning it off and on again remains undefeated.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 12, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not a FLACcer (I like to have my whole library synced to my phone fully) but I do try to get my music in something a little more modern than MP3. We've moved on. You can get much better in the same space, or similar quality in much smaller. My preference lately is Opus.

These days with all the AI art stuff there are pretty good deep learning models that have been trained on tens of thousands of images where the 'before' is a JPEG compressed image and the 'after' is the source PNG that the JPEG was made from, to create a model that knows what JPEG artefacts look like and does its best to intelligently correct them and get closer to the original, and they're remarkably good. I wonder if people are developing things like that for music, to recognise deeper patterns in the codecs that hint at removal and try to boost fidelity higher than what MP3 did back when it was encoded 15 years ago, it'd be neat if we started to be able to integrate that into players in realtime. 'cos as much as you mostly can't hear the difference, some of the older lower-bitrate encodings you really can.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 13, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm trying out Foobar, and having some growing pains. Can I delete or hide music from the library without deleting the files? I have some duplicate mp3 versions of FLAC files because iTunes doesn't support FLAC (and I need iTunes for iPhone syncing), and I'd like to be able to hide those.

Also any suggestions for skins? I tried Eole, which is quite nice, but it doesn't work with the 64 bit version of Foobar, which I think is why it doesn't support Window snapping (which I value).

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
You can tell the library to exclude .mp3 files and you can use the edit -> remove duplicates option to remove duplicate songs from playlist, but as far as I'm aware there's no way to make Foobar ignore mp3 versions of songs if FLACs are available.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunate. iTunes lets you remove any arbitrary file from its library.

e:I guess that means I can't tell it to ignore podcasts either?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

That depends on where you keep them. You can exclude directories from the library, so if you keep your MP3s and podcasts separate from the rest of your library, that's your solution

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That might be enough, thanks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Is there a way to set a maximum volume level for a device in Windows 11 and then rescale the volume slider from that? I use a laptop like a htpc with a Vizio sound bar connected through Bluetooth, but it's so loud that I have to keep the volume under like 40% at all times. Honestly a lot of the time I'm fiddling between 2% and 6% system volume. It sucks because I have basically no range to adjust volume in.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

Is there a way to set a maximum volume level for a device in Windows 11 and then rescale the volume slider from that? I use a laptop like a htpc with a Vizio sound bar connected through Bluetooth, but it's so loud that I have to keep the volume under like 40% at all times. Honestly a lot of the time I'm fiddling between 2% and 6% system volume. It sucks because I have basically no range to adjust volume in.

You'd need to use something like EarTrumpet afaik. You set the device to like 40% or whatever and then you can do per-application 1-100% volume from that. You can also do fun stuff like force an application to a specific audio device so your media player is routed to the speaker and your browser to your headphones.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 13, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MikeJF posted:

I'm not a FLACcer (I like to have my whole library synced to my phone fully) but I do try to get my music in something a little more modern than MP3. We've moved on. You can get much better in the same space, or similar quality in much smaller. My preference lately is Opus.

These days with all the AI art stuff there are pretty good deep learning models that have been trained on tens of thousands of images where the 'before' is a JPEG compressed image and the 'after' is the source PNG that the JPEG was made from, to create a model that knows what JPEG artefacts look like and does its best to intelligently correct them and get closer to the original, and they're remarkably good. I wonder if people are developing things like that for music, to recognise deeper patterns in the codecs that hint at removal and try to boost fidelity higher than what MP3 did back when it was encoded 15 years ago, it'd be neat if we started to be able to integrate that into players in realtime. 'cos as much as you mostly can't hear the difference, some of the older lower-bitrate encodings you really can.

I disagree on the "newer lossy formats" front, I feel that mp3 v0 is basically the optimal choice. What do you get if you change to another format? Save a tiny bit more space? You're not going to get appreciably better quality, and you've already saved a lot of space over the raw wave file, or more realistically, FLAC.

You know that mp3 will play on absolutely everything with no exceptions, and that to me is more important than a tiny amount of space saved. I know one of the arguments for FLACs is to make sure you have the lossless copy to transcode into your format of the moment, which is a very valid angle. I guess I'm just of the mindset that cd quality audio in a reasonable file size is a solved problem, so I don't have the transcoding desire

But hey everyone can do what they want.. as long as it doesn't involve transcoding lossy formats :(

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 13, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, a modern codec will encode equal quality to MP3 at half the size (after all, it's been 20 years, this is like the jump from MPEG-1 to H.265 for video), and a full 50% saving is appreciable when it comes to storing on devices or syncing or streaming. And the only things I'm interested in playing it on I already know support modern codecs. So it works for me.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 13, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I'm a FLAC head mostly because I spent an inordinate amount of time on what.cd back in the day. Because it focused primarily on FLAC files and high res artwork scans, it became an archival site.

Then it got raided in 2016 and people are still trying to rebuild the archive it had on successor trackers like Redacted.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HalloKitty posted:

cd quality audio in a reasonable file size is a solved problem

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You guys need to follow my protip of having hearing loss. Traded in my 7.1 surround sound system when I moved for a Sonos play base and whatever streaming audio sounds just fine for me

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, .wav is pretty useful if you mess around with Audacity or production whatever but that's a niche thing

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Medullah posted:

You guys need to follow my protip of having hearing loss.
I don't even really need stereo any more :smith:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The problem with keeping only lossy files is that third of your library is in Musepack and other third in chaptered .mp4 with one file per album.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I'm a FLAC head mostly because I spent an inordinate amount of time on what.cd back in the day. Because it focused primarily on FLAC files and high res artwork scans, it became an archival site.

Then it got raided in 2016 and people are still trying to rebuild the archive it had on successor trackers like Redacted.

Just a reminder that talking about filez is still technically against the forum rules.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

My bad, sorry

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

All good. :) As you were, thread.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hawowanlawow posted:

Somewhat related to this, I have a volume issue with my work PC.

Since it's a work PC it's fairly locked down with what I can manipulate other than the most basic stuff.

When I do teams or general browser with media streaming, I need to have the volume at 100% to hear it. It's not whisper quiet, but it's close.

However if I am on, say Linkedin (also through browser, either chrome or edge) and some media plays :piss: it loving blares.

Same thing between using my laptop or external monitor as the speaker device.

Any idea what I can change to let other things be louder like the media on linkedin?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If your browser is Google Chrome compatible then this extension is useful for customising tab volume https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/volume-master/jghecgabfgfdldnmbfkhmffcabddioke

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tesseraction posted:

If your browser is Google Chrome compatible then this extension is useful for customising tab volume https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/volume-master/jghecgabfgfdldnmbfkhmffcabddioke

LOL I was able to add it and then a red alert restricted by my company with the redirect to petasittek (the author).

But it does appear to have installed on it. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm looking for a media player that can keep track of what files i've played and retain the position I was in when i stopped/closed/restarted my machine - got a bunch of old archived & delisted podcasts as mp3 and it's a loving nightmare finding something that will let me play them and keep track of where I am. Any suggestions?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there any website/app that can do a rotation of reminders?

Basically there's different parts of the house that I wanna work on organizing/cleaning periodically (pantry, bookshelves, garage, etc.), and I'd like a weekly rotation where each week I get an email ping or something like that telling me which area is up this time. And of course I'd need to be able to easily insert or remove entries and have the rotation automatically adapt, set pauses (e.g. for vacations), etc.

I guess it's similar conceptually to the oncall rotation systems that companies often use.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm looking for a media player that can keep track of what files i've played and retain the position I was in when i stopped/closed/restarted my machine - got a bunch of old archived & delisted podcasts as mp3 and it's a loving nightmare finding something that will let me play them and keep track of where I am. Any suggestions?

foobar2000 actually has an option for this, the top option listed in this section.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I use Plex for exactly this purpose, with Chronicle on my Android phone as the front end because it's designed for that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Tesseraction posted:

foobar2000 actually has an option for this, the top option listed in this section.

Thanks! thats perfect.

I came across chronicle when searching but it has awful reviews in the play store. Listening on my phone & streaming through plex would be nice though, as much as I listed to podcasts at my desk, the flexibility would be nice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Thanks! thats perfect.

I came across chronicle when searching but it has awful reviews in the play store. Listening on my phone & streaming through plex would be nice though, as much as I listed to podcasts at my desk, the flexibility would be nice.

Huh I've never had any issues with it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cubicle gangster posted:

iTunes is actually really good at handling offline podcasts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Suggestions for a simple text editor that allows commenting/highlighting? If this is possible with Notepad++ that would work. It has a highlight function, but that doesn't persist after closing the file (at least for .txt files).

I have Word, but I'd prefer something more lightweight.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Suggestions for a simple text editor that allows commenting/highlighting? If this is possible with Notepad++ that would work. It has a highlight function, but that doesn't persist after closing the file (at least for .txt files).

I have Word, but I'd prefer something more lightweight.

If you name your file plaintextfile.md instead of .txt, you can use markdown syntax in Notepad++ (and many other similar editors) to get some formatting options.

But other than that, you have to jump up to some type of word processor like Word or Write.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. I'll see if that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021
Is it wrong that 99% of my music library is MP3s that I've saved across PCs and Windows installs for over 20 years, and my audio player is still WinAmp?