Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

Now if only I could teach my father to not get scared at a 128 gram butterball cockatiel bashing her head into his finger.

:kimchi: It's like a big dog getting chased around by a puppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kitfox88 posted:

:kimchi: It's like a big dog getting chased around by a puppy

As many people here remember, my father was a self proclaimed "animal hater" until he met Wandy. He has scars on his chest from being mauled by two German shepherds and that's just one of his bad experiences. He hated most animals and had hard to argue reasoning about it considering his experiences.

When he met Wandy, she loving flew to him and hissed at me when I tried to take her back. That was normally how she acted towards other people trying to take her from me. She had never met him before and had some sort of love at first sight with him. In Wandy's mind, I was the best human in the world...unless my Dad walked into them room. :derptiel:

It was years before circumstances saw us move in together, but I was terrified he wouldn't want pets. Not only does he enjoy the birds, he spoils Serra to death and helps care for them on his own volition.

Blue and Yellow pretty much ignore us, but we will both catch ourselves pausing the TV to watch "Parakeet Days of Our Lives" going on in their little world.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

RoboRodent posted:

Cockatiels do love their drama.

I'm discovering this at a fairly quick pace haha

Captain Log posted:

There are a lot of other cockatiel owners here with great experience that should weigh in too. I'm just one dude who has raised three lady birds.

Most people call that behavior "beaking" instead of biting. In my experience, it comes from -

Thanks for this! We're always second guessing ourselves with him, but he's so bubbly he does seem to be happy most of the time.

Except for the days we're both out all day. Then it's serious birdy cold shoulder, doesn't seem to last long though thankfully.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Caedes posted:

I'm discovering this at a fairly quick pace haha

Thanks for this! We're always second guessing ourselves with him, but he's so bubbly he does seem to be happy most of the time.

Except for the days we're both out all day. Then it's serious birdy cold shoulder, doesn't seem to last long though thankfully.

:derptiel: :respek: :derptiel:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

its spring, which means terra is honking at me from the corner of one of the kallax cubes next to my desk while rubbing her butt on everything send help

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Faerie Fortune posted:

its spring, which means terra is honking at me from the corner of one of the kallax cubes next to my desk while rubbing her butt on everything send help

Ahahahahaha oh dear, I know that floofy hen posture too well!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I love how the BIG SCARY FLUFF pose has opposite the intended effect on humans.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

a cockatiel trying to be scary is quite possibly the least threatening thing in the world, especially when shes as fat and fluffy as terra

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Obligatory hissing cobra Serra post -

https://youtu.be/-UO8AC72v0g

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
That's pretty cute although I will say we try not to bother birb in the cage as much as possible; I let him keep it as entirely his territory.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If you leave a lady bird to her own devices when that happens, you’re gonna get eggs. A whole host of problems comes with egg laying.

Serra now has her cage bottom covered in egg crates to prevent nesting. From the day I started that, no more eggs or nesty behavior from her.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy does the same fluffy scary dance on the cage floor sometimes. No eggs yet from him. He is a mystery.

I caught him trying to kiss Sera yesterday. I've never seen him do that. There was beak contact but I think Sera was a little unnerved because generally Ozzy protects his personal space pretty intensely, and I'm not sure he entirely trusted Ozzy not to bite him.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

If you leave a lady bird to her own devices when that happens, you’re gonna get eggs. A whole host of problems comes with egg laying.

Serra now has her cage bottom covered in egg crates to prevent nesting. From the day I started that, no more eggs or nesty behavior from her.

For sure, before we had to put Hedy down I was always suspicious of some of her chirps when she was exploring extra-cage areas.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I very quickly found out that a budgie beak can easily penetrate skin when reaching inside the cage of a nesty lady budgie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

I very quickly found out that a budgie beak can easily penetrate skin when reaching inside the cage of a nesty lady budgie.

Yellow bites me harder than any of my pet birds have ever bit.

Which makes it a ton of fun when she gets stuck somewhere. I just take a deep breath and take the punishment.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus was going hard with the burrowing behavior last month lmao, I think he mostly has it out of his system now thank goodness. Trying to keep him from diving between my pillows was like holding one of those squooshy water-filled toys from the 90s

And while Charlemagne has not caught springtime fever (yet), I think he needs a wing trim because he will not loving leave my door frame alone and I have run out of things to try to mitigate this behavior. Months of trying to get him to stop nicely has left me with a destroyed door frame and broken dreams

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Mayo bit me once but she was feeling cornered, I think.

Pesto... just does not bite hard ever. The most he does is peck the source of his frustration really quickly (i.e: my finger when I'm constantly getting him to step up when he just wants to hang out elsewhere). It's actually really cute.

He's also fairly easy to scoop up in your hand and hold but afterwards he looks extremely indignant and immediately gives himself a full preen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Mayo bit me once but she was feeling cornered, I think.

Pesto... just does not bite hard ever. The most he does is peck the source of his frustration really quickly (i.e: my finger when I'm constantly getting him to step up when he just wants to hang out elsewhere). It's actually really cute.

He's also fairly easy to scoop up in your hand and hold but afterwards he looks extremely indignant and immediately gives himself a full preen.

Same. Alex is very cognizant of bite strength - if you bug him, he'll first tell you no by touching your finger or whatever with his beak and doing a lick. If you keep going, the bites get harder. He's never had to try to draw blood, so I'm not sure if he can, precisely, but neither would it surprise me.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
who is the bird hating monster that keeps lowering this threads perfect 5-star gold rating??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

who is the bird hating monster that keeps lowering this threads perfect 5-star gold rating??

I don't think it's me, but on my cell phone I've accidentally mashed an unintentional rating in TFR more than once. On mobile, the rating button is really close "forums" button when you want to go back to the main directory.

My phone screen is shattered and doesn't always play nice with what I'm asking it to do.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Rude! But I noticed I hadn't ever rated this thread so I fixed that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

Rude! But I noticed I hadn't ever rated this thread so I fixed that.

I have voted on this one in the past...........

*logs into admin account*

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzzTDVfYnWM

SCRAAAAAAWWWW

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

And while Charlemagne has not caught springtime fever (yet), I think he needs a wing trim because he will not loving leave my door frame alone and I have run out of things to try to mitigate this behavior. Months of trying to get him to stop nicely has left me with a destroyed door frame and broken dreams

UPDATE: caught Charlie chewing on my doorframe again as soon as I stepped out of the room. I was prepared for a struggle in cutting his primaries but I just scooped him up, swaddled his front end in a washcloth and set him in my lap, and he let me extend first one wing and then the other and trim them down. I didn't want to traumatize him since I don't know when the last time he was clipped was, if ever, so the washcloth was pretty loose and there were a couple opportunities where during my awkward maneuvers he could have chomped me or punched a hole in my pant leg pretty easily but he didn't so much as try. He's just sitting on my shoulder grooming now like nothing happened. It's just a light clip, he can still get a little air with effort, but he was so good about it I feel like a monster 😭 I'm sorry Charlie you are a Very Good Bird 😭

now don't eat my loving door frame

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like you should keep your phone on-hand to record the moment Charley inevitably tries to get air and faceplants in an undignified manner.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I had one tenth of Serra’s doofusry on camera, I’d be making tens of YouTube dollars. Tens, I say.

Edit : I say that, then realize Serra's hiss fit video somehow has 1.5k views. :stare: Guess people like birbs.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 2, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I just wish I could get Ozzy's fake sneezes on camera. He is so camera shy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

UPDATE: caught Charlie chewing on my doorframe again as soon as I stepped out of the room. I was prepared for a struggle in cutting his primaries but I just scooped him up, swaddled his front end in a washcloth and set him in my lap, and he let me extend first one wing and then the other and trim them down. I didn't want to traumatize him since I don't know when the last time he was clipped was, if ever, so the washcloth was pretty loose and there were a couple opportunities where during my awkward maneuvers he could have chomped me or punched a hole in my pant leg pretty easily but he didn't so much as try. He's just sitting on my shoulder grooming now like nothing happened. It's just a light clip, he can still get a little air with effort, but he was so good about it I feel like a monster 😭 I'm sorry Charlie you are a Very Good Bird 😭

now don't eat my loving door frame

Shoulda chosen the All Steel Everything furnishing option

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Shoulda chosen the All Steel Everything furnishing option

I listened to a talk with a local breeder who works with the Toronto Zoo to help care for parrots and other exotic birds. He built a giant multi-room aviary on his property and uses big metal garbage cans as nesting spots inside of each room; the birds eventually eat the bottoms out and he needs to replace them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shoulda chosen the All Titanium Carbide Everything option!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Why can birds chew through steel. Why is that a thing they can do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/zVPxHvf.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

Why can birds chew through steel. Why is that a thing they can do.

they're basically can openers

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Isn't there a macaw who got a 3d printed beak out of something ridiculous like tungsten carbide or titanium

why would you do this, it's like giving nuclear weapons to barely evolved hairless apes

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Birds are perfect

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

Birds are perfect

I really wouldn't mind getting reincarnated around the karma wheel into a parrot for a life or two. It would be a nice break. :derptiel:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

redgubbinz posted:

Isn't there a macaw who got a 3d printed beak out of something ridiculous like tungsten carbide or titanium

why would you do this, it's like giving nuclear weapons to barely evolved hairless apes

but yes, there's a macaw with a titanium beak. They said plastic normally used for other bird beaks/bills wouldn't stand up to the forces and what a macaw uses their beak for

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not a parrot, but a cute bird gif all the same.

https://i.imgur.com/MB2re8w.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
the untitled goose swan game

honk honk