Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

oldpainless posted:

The silence, yes, but what of the hills?

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think what’s strange about it is the radio silence on Konami’s part prompting their insistence that everything is going a-okay

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Also it's true they haven't said jack poo poo about the Suikoden remakes. At loving all :smith:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Also it's true they haven't said jack poo poo about the Suikoden remakes. At loving all :smith:

There's a good chance the Suikoden successor in April with salve the burn of that likely disappointment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mindblast posted:

Suddenly claiming everything is fine, out of nowhere, is odd. So what is actually going on? :v: there's no way nothing prompted this.

people on twitter repeatedly @'ing Bloober asking if it's cancelled

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

PlasticAutomaton posted:

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1728881203401687235

Our "there is nothing wrong with SH2 tweet" is posing a lot of questions.

Bloober Team

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

dlooder
       team

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Is there any Discord where goons are getting together to play Lethal Company?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Is there any Discord where goons are getting together to play Lethal Company?

Co-op Goons:
https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
konami=one
bloober=rail

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
tormented souls is pretty cool so far. i've got a problemw with one major thing though - no quick lighter button (seeing as there is a darkness=death mechanic), and no map button. you need to go into the menu and switch tabs to get to those items, which is a problem because i want to access them like, every minute or two of gameplay.

the resource management is also really tight, although that isn't a complaint. i constantly have nearly nothing and am in caution/danger health. every new enemy is a problem. it feels like just figuring out how i'm going to eke through a room and not die is a puzzle in itself. evading enemies pretty much isn't an option, since they are very aggressive and you need to backtrack a lot.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There is a quickbutton for the map at least, R3 or F iirc, just look on the back of the map
I restarted it myself this last week because it lost my cloud saves, and while the throwback stuff is nice it's also very frustrating, at least you can cheat away the save limitations, but the combat in fixed camera angles really sucks. Staring at the tip of her nail gun to see if it has locked onto something you can't see without getting hit by isn't really conducive to horror IMO. Besides that and the resources seemingly being balanced for players who know what to do, it's great.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i actually don't mind the fixed perspective combat at all - the tension isn't so much in aiming, and in fact if i also missed half my shots it would be way too much. the tension is in - do i have enough to kill this thing fast enough before it hits me because i have no healing and am in caution already, etc. that's survival horror to me, not gunplay.

thanks for the tip that there is a map button though. that solves half of the biggest complaint i had.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

roomtone posted:

i actually don't mind the fixed perspective combat at all - the tension isn't so much in aiming, and in fact if i also missed half my shots it would be way too much. the tension is in - do i have enough to kill this thing fast enough before it hits me because i have no healing and am in caution already, etc. that's survival horror to me, not gunplay.

thanks for the tip that there is a map button though. that solves half of the biggest complaint i had.

The thing for me is that it makes it too mechanical. You just wait for lock on, count 6 shots to knock them down, and rush in with the crowbar. If you can see the enemy, you are often too close to dodge after attacking, so it's not really a viable choice, outside of certain rooms or if you are kiting them around so they come from the right direction, which also kills the mood.

Also just to be clear it's not that I want normal third person free aim shooting, the lock-on system is fine, it's just that counting shots fired at stuff off screen, instead of engaging with the enemy due to the camera, just isn't doing it for me. Just having an optional alternative free camera mode to switch to for the tricky spots would help a lot.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Who’s Lila is very loving creepy! Interested in recommendations for similarly weird and small horror games

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AndrewP posted:

Who’s Lila is very loving creepy! Interested in recommendations for similarly weird and small horror games

It is pretty good, although as someone who had to play it full-screen because windowed kept cutting off buttons it is pretty annoying to constantly have to be shift tabbing out for browser based stuff. A game relying on you checking your system files or going to certain websites was cool the first time but now it's just annoying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

AndrewP posted:

If you’ve never played Paratopic it’s absolutely worth tracking down, might be free at this point? If not in Steam then on Itch.

For games that are definitely free, try If On A Winter’s Night Four Travelers

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Basic Chunnel posted:

If On A Winter’s Night Four Travelers

This one is so loving good

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you’ve never played Paratopic it’s absolutely worth tracking down, might be free at this point? If not in Steam then on Itch.

For games that are definitely free, try If On A Winter’s Night Four Travelers

Awesome, thanks.

I love these little experiences that do one thing super well. I remember a browser game called “the uncle who works at Nintendo” that was extremely effective in the context of playing it while alone in a hotel room.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1728881203401687235

Our "there is nothing wrong with SH2 tweet" is posing a lot of questions.

This prompted Vburger to do a Twitch stream going through what has been released of Ascension (as well as trying some crappy SH make-up boxes). The 'game' is worse than anything I could have expected.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I was actually tempted by those SH palettes because the colors are 90s grunge as hell and I am a sucker for that garbage.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

AndrewP posted:

Awesome, thanks.

I love these little experiences that do one thing super well. I remember a browser game called “the uncle who works at Nintendo” that was extremely effective in the context of playing it while alone in a hotel room.

If you liked that one, check out the previous game by the same designer My Father’s Long, Long Legs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Enemabag Jones posted:

I was actually tempted by those SH palettes because the colors are 90s grunge as hell and I am a sucker for that garbage.

I was definitely eyeballing the Robbie the Rabbit one. :ohdear: I love him!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728309700788207899

Glad to see Ascension is still hitting amazing highs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiuedH7E-gc

Rad looking horor game Holstin has a demo on Steam now. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm pretty far in Alan Wake 2 now, at the endgame prompt for Saga, think I'm close on Alan's side. I'm enjoying the story and cutscenes a ton just like most Remedy games, but man am I not enjoying the gameplay at all. It's better than the first game's but I just don't find the light to the face->shoot cycle very enjoyable. I'm fine with exploring for collectibles, but the run speed isn't great so it was kind of tedious to mop those up today. Also, I was pretty mad to find that there aren't enough fragments to upgrade all the weapons all the way, which would be fine, except I spent what I had about 10 minutes before getting the last weapon and now have 11 leftover fragments that can't be used to upgrade anything. I guess I'd be more fine with it if it wasn't such a weird amount left, just limit the upgrades to 2 per weapon or whatever instead of this. A good game but the little things are really bothering me especially since I like Control's combat loops a lot more (though the random upgrade drops were not good).

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1728309700788207899

Glad to see Ascension is still hitting amazing highs.

what's with the booberry filter over everything

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Mr E posted:

I'm pretty far in Alan Wake 2 now, at the endgame prompt for Saga, think I'm close on Alan's side. I'm enjoying the story and cutscenes a ton just like most Remedy games, but man am I not enjoying the gameplay at all. It's better than the first game's but I just don't find the light to the face->shoot cycle very enjoyable. I'm fine with exploring for collectibles, but the run speed isn't great so it was kind of tedious to mop those up today. Also, I was pretty mad to find that there aren't enough fragments to upgrade all the weapons all the way, which would be fine, except I spent what I had about 10 minutes before getting the last weapon and now have 11 leftover fragments that can't be used to upgrade anything. I guess I'd be more fine with it if it wasn't such a weird amount left, just limit the upgrades to 2 per weapon or whatever instead of this. A good game but the little things are really bothering me especially since I like Control's combat loops a lot more (though the random upgrade drops were not good).

I'm pretty much where you are. I didn't love the combat in AW1, but imo AW2's attempt at survival horror combat actually makes AW1 look good in comparison .

AW1 combat had way more Army of Darkness action-comedy vibes that honestly I think would have worked just fine with this game even though the story is darker and scarier. The game itself still has a good sense of humor but the combat is pretty humorless because they were just following RE2 remake's lead. Except for when you stick a flare in a taken's mouth, that's kind of funny.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

what's with the booberry filter over everything
You know poo poo's bad when even your video game can only afford day-for-night shots.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm partly on the same page for AW2, I didn't hate the combat but it was mostly just okay enough to get by. But I just couldn't stop playing despite that, the whole thing's so compelling that it's my favorite of the year, even though there've been other games where the gameplay itself is better.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Combat is awful, I especially love that using healing items is a two-step process, which, combined with the fact that the enemies are way more mobile than you, see better than you, and shoot stuff, guarantees that you'll get hit and die if you try using them, but if you run there's a good chance to reach the nearest light. I only finished Saga so far, but by the end my item box was filled with healing items and I had to chuck them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pills are for healing in combat, everything else is too slow by design. But yeah since combat tends to be all or nothing I have a ton of the big med kits in storage because either you end combat relatively unscathed or you die.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I never had issues using the mid range healing item, the trauma pad, in combat either except in the big finale combat gauntlet which was a little bit too hectic for it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
well i guess i'm not playing Alan Wake 2 tonight

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Epic Games was the true horror all along :gonk:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Instant Grat posted:

well i guess i'm not playing Alan Wake 2 tonight

epic games sucks so badly and while I appreciate them for funding alan wake 2 and giving sam lake an absurd amount of creative freedom and budget, it's really unfortunate that it's shackled to their platform

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Reminder that you don't actually have to use the EGS launcher, there is official support for using third party launchers like heroic or GOG galaxy, for everything but buying iirc. Won't help this time since you still need to log in the first time, but if you keep having issues it can be a good alternative.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i got to the end boss of tormented souls and only had to look up about 15 puzzle solutions! the game is bonkers with the adventure game logic. gotta combine the blood with the medallion case then put it in the freezer in the past and then then put it in the pedestal in the present.

i think it's a good game just absolutely needs a guide for me or i would have gotten bored and drifted off bumping up against one very obtuse puzzle after another. it throws a lot of them at you which you can't solve right away, and you need to remember that all of these things exist, even things you had no context for hours before, to put it together. and then sometimes it's just weird.

i might finish off the final boss but i had a couple of attempts and it seems like a hassle so i might just watch the ending. i'll be back for tormented souls 2 though for sure, curious to see how they build on this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Looks like a bunch of people are reporting that issue. Without any evidence, I'm gonna go ahead and blame Fortnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
it's fortnite for sure, all the login servers fell over due to the rush for the season end event today