Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Keetron posted:

Some guy here just sprayed deodoriser on himself on the work floor.
Now personally I really dislike spray on deodoriser, so the smell will bother me for while. But don't we have locker rooms for that?

My office has signs up everywhere forbidding the use of any aerosol sprays due to someone in the building having a serious allergy. And thank god for that because I've worked in offices where people keep deoderant or perfume in their desk drawers and douse themselves in the middle of the office and it's the goddamned worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know a guy and might be able to hook you up with good furniture purchasing advice. Not that management would listen.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It's not corporate but I used to be an admissions counselor for a top tier private university and this still applies. Come acceptance day we'd be flooded with calls from parents of kids who got rejected. You never. Give. Feedback. You always give a generic excuse, never anything that gives them ammo to try to argue a case or even worse, sue.

It sucks, but that's how it goes.

What's really funny is that over the past few months I've found myself "working with" a high end matchmaker, as in they approached me and asked me to be in their rolodex for their paying clients. Since we have no way of actually contacting each other and have to use the matchmaker as an intermediary, they actually encourage honest feedback. So you get actual feedback on what you did right or wrong. Blind dating is almost like a job interview right?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Does anyone have examples of that backfiring?

I'm hiring people now and luckily all our candidates are through warm referrals/my network, so not much risk to us. As we grow, I'd really like to help people get better at finding jobs that fit them (you may notice my 9 million posts in the resume thread) but don't want to take on TOO much risk tot he company.

For example, someone who is competent but basically a mixture of Eeyore and Henny Penny. You're being interviewed. Cheer up and don't put yourself down. I can't imagine subjecting the team to them worrying every day. They could use that feedback, worded nicely, and likely have a better job hunt (and life).

...why would you give it or not give it?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It comes down to the part of the human experience described as "This is why we can't have nice things." 99% of people would be fine, and then you'd have a BBQ Becky or Permit Patty making a fuss and loving poo poo up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CarForumPoster posted:

It puts your name to the decision.

The regular interviewing process is a blackbox: sure you interview with a specific person, but generally acceptances or rejections are handled by HR, and you'll get a lot of "we" made the decision not to hire you, or "we" thank you for applying. The company as a whole is framed as having made the determination. But as soon as you get a call from the person you interviewed asking why they got rejected and you tell them it was because you felt they were unprofessional, the decision is squarely on you and you get put in the cross-hairs. "I wasn't unprofessional, that's slander/by "unprofessional" they're just discriminating against me for [insert literally anything]/so what if they thought that I was unprofessional, clearly I was the most qualified, unfair hiring practices!" Now you're getting sued, and even if the suit is frivolous and you win handily, being sued is an awful process that wastes your money, time, and is emotionally and mentally draining.

Or you could just say "Sorry, I'm afraid I can't comment on hiring decisions, thanks again for applying and best of luck going forward." :v:

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Fhqwhgads posted:

What's really funny is that over the past few months I've found myself "working with" a high end matchmaker, as in they approached me and asked me to be in their rolodex for their paying clients. Since we have no way of actually contacting each other and have to use the matchmaker as an intermediary, they actually encourage honest feedback. So you get actual feedback on what you did right or wrong. Blind dating is almost like a job interview right?

Uh wait, are you talking about a matchmaker for your personal life here or are you talking about a corporate headhunter? I'm quite confused.

I think you're talking about your personal life in which case I have a bunch of questions.

Sydin posted:

It puts your name to the decision.

The regular interviewing process is a blackbox: sure you interview with a specific person, but generally acceptances or rejections are handled by HR, and you'll get a lot of "we" made the decision not to hire you, or "we" thank you for applying. The company as a whole is framed as having made the determination. But as soon as you get a call from the person you interviewed asking why they got rejected and you tell them it was because you felt they were unprofessional, the decision is squarely on you and you get put in the cross-hairs. "I wasn't unprofessional, that's slander/by "unprofessional" they're just discriminating against me for [insert literally anything]/so what if they thought that I was unprofessional, clearly I was the most qualified, unfair hiring practices!" Now you're getting sued, and even if the suit is frivolous and you win handily, being sued is an awful process that wastes your money, time, and is emotionally and mentally draining.

Or you could just say "Sorry, I'm afraid I can't comment on hiring decisions, thanks again for applying and best of luck going forward." :v:

This is a great post and sums the whole issue up nicely.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 17, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Uh wait, are you talking about a matchmaker for your personal life here or are you talking about a corporate headhunter? I'm quite confused.

I think you're talking about your personal life in which case I have a bunch of questions.

This is a great post and sums the whole issue up nicely.

Personal, but I posted it here because dating isn't that different than job interviewing except that past a certain point sexual harassment is encouraged :v:

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Fhqwhgads posted:

Personal, but I posted it here because dating isn't that different than job interviewing except that past a certain point sexual harassment is encouraged :v:

Uh how did this matchmaker person find/contact you? How has it worked? Do relatively run-of-the-mill women pay for a service like this? I'm assuming you're a straight dude, and I'm guessing you're in NYC.

I'll limit my questions to those :)

edited for terrible phrasing

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Don't forget Fhqwhgads, the ladies/lads love a man with a sharp tie.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CarForumPoster posted:

Does anyone have examples of that backfiring?

I'm hiring people now and luckily all our candidates are through warm referrals/my network, so not much risk to us. As we grow, I'd really like to help people get better at finding jobs that fit them (you may notice my 9 million posts in the resume thread) but don't want to take on TOO much risk tot he company.

For example, someone who is competent but basically a mixture of Eeyore and Henny Penny. You're being interviewed. Cheer up and don't put yourself down. I can't imagine subjecting the team to them worrying every day. They could use that feedback, worded nicely, and likely have a better job hunt (and life).

Yeah everyone in HR has hundreds of example.

The thing is, a lot of people will try to argue with you and make it weird. “I assure you I’m not usually like that, if you give me another chance...” and “oh sure I have a knowledge gap there, but I could study that up, come on”.

Even setting aside the legal issues, it gets weird and awkward. Like when people want to drop off their paper resumes and want to talk to HR. No, we don’t do that. Here’s the website address. gently caress off before anyone remembers you, weirdo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Something Offal posted:

relatively run-of-the-mill women

Well that's one hell of a phrase.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Something Offal posted:

Uh how did this matchmaker person find/contact you? How has it worked? Do relatively run-of-the-mill women pay for a service like this? I'm assuming you're a straight dude, and I'm guessing you're in NYC.

I'll limit my questions to those :)

Yeah I'm not touching the run of the mill comment. But since this is the corporate thread, think of the matchmakers like recruiters trawling LinkedIn. One came across one of my dating profiles and thought I was awesome (I am) so she messaged me about what's up and I ended up setting up a profile and was interviewed by them. Now every now and then I get calls from matchmakers (headhunters) who have a client (job) that they'd like me to meet (interview for), we talk about it (phone screen), and they set up a date (in person interview). It's actually a lot more fun than I'm making it out to be.

So to the feedback comment, we actually give and get constructive feedback on dates because there's no way for us to contact each other outside the matchmaker. That way neither of us run into the below problems.

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah everyone in HR who's gone on dates has hundreds of example.

The thing is, a lot of people will try to argue with you and make it weird. “I assure you I’m not usually like that, if you give me another chance...” and “oh sure I have a knowledge gap there, but I could study that up, come on”.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't forget Fhqwhgads, the ladies/lads love a man with a sharp tie.

tie made of razors

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FAUXTON posted:

tie made of razors

This thread is closed by order of the Peaky Blinders.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah I'm not touching the run of the mill comment. But since this is the corporate thread, think of the matchmakers like recruiters trawling LinkedIn. One came across one of my dating profiles and thought I was awesome (I am) so she messaged me about what's up and I ended up setting up a profile and was interviewed by them. Now every now and then I get calls from matchmakers (headhunters) who have a client (job) that they'd like me to meet (interview for), we talk about it (phone screen), and they set up a date (in person interview). It's actually a lot more fun than I'm making it out to be.

So to the feedback comment, we actually give and get constructive feedback on dates because there's no way for us to contact each other outside the matchmaker. That way neither of us run into the below problems.

:same:

But after setting up my profile and sending an application I usually end up ghosted

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah I got in on a long term contract for 50% equity a while back and it's been great

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah I got in on a long term contract for 50% equity a while back and it's been great

Did they make you sign a non-compete?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did they make you sign a non-compete?

Included with the original terms. I'd been on board for a few years as an exclusive vendor anyway so it was really a no brainier to take advantage of the myriad synergistic upsides of a 50-50 merger.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Included with the original terms. I'd been on board for a few years as an exclusive vendor anyway so it was really a no brainier to take advantage of the myriad synergistic upsides of a 50-50 merger.
I imagine all the horizontal integration makes it an especially valuable deal.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I have fewer seats on the board, but have more shares of voting stock in my partnership. Makes for fun discussions about how we dont need to pay for cable!

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hahah I knew my run-of-the-mill modifier was odd when I wrote it but hey I was curious, thanks for the answers gads.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I've been in re-org limbo for the last few weeks. I applied for my former manager's job (now with no direct reports but the same title and payscale), but I've also applied for several positions in other parts of the company.

The reason I applied for the manager position is because, while I've been in re-org limbo on a new team that doesn't exist, I've taken over a lot of the duties. It would be a significant pay raise and obviously the title looks better on a resume. I also know I can handle this job, while the other positions would be new and different - hourly instead salary, different organizations, different knowledge areas. Also since my manager left, I'm the only person sort of on the team with institutional knowledge.

Should I have a conversation with my former director where I say "Either I'm being promoted or I'm leaving this Department"? I've got one request for a phone interview and a lot of unofficial encouragement on another, but obviously no firm offers yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tibalt posted:

I'm the only person sort of on the team with institutional knowledge

They're not going to let you go, it would greatly inconvenience them. Move forward with other places.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tibalt posted:

I've been in re-org limbo for the last few weeks. I applied for my former manager's job (now with no direct reports but the same title and payscale), but I've also applied for several positions in other parts of the company.

The reason I applied for the manager position is because, while I've been in re-org limbo on a new team that doesn't exist, I've taken over a lot of the duties. It would be a significant pay raise and obviously the title looks better on a resume. I also know I can handle this job, while the other positions would be new and different - hourly instead salary, different organizations, different knowledge areas. Also since my manager left, I'm the only person sort of on the team with institutional knowledge.

Should I have a conversation with my former director where I say "Either I'm being promoted or I'm leaving this Department"? I've got one request for a phone interview and a lot of unofficial encouragement on another, but obviously no firm offers yet.

Yeah, you should talk with the director though I'd caution against the ultimatum as the director may not have much sway due to the re-org himself. But an informal conversation about it makes sense.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lockback posted:

Yeah, you should talk with the director though I'd caution against the ultimatum as the director may not have much sway due to the re-org himself. But an informal conversation about it makes sense.
It's not so much an ultimatum as a statement of facts - I'm not going to do a manager job for a different team and no promotion, and this isn't a situation that's going to stay static for long. But you're right, I should be careful how I present myself.

Do you think I should have the conversation now, so there isn't the ticking clock of a different job offer?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’d advise just getting out ASAP, but then the last time I had that conversation with a director it blew up in a spectacular fashion.

(“Oh we don’t think you’re ready for that position, you don’t have a degree.”
“I do actually. Master’s. In this specific field.”
“Well in a few more years, when you have more experience.”
“Ok fair enough.”

*Hires a younger guy with only a bachelor’s, who’s materially less qualified*
*Director gets promoted*
*Younger guy gets rid of the entire team of experienced, specialized people, hires entry level flunkies who turn over at a ridiculous rate because they’re overwhelmed*)

I’m a little bitter still, I think, even though it worked out great for me. Just frustrating watching someone poo poo all over something you’d worked so hard at improving.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tibalt posted:

It's not so much an ultimatum as a statement of facts - I'm not going to do a manager job for a different team and no promotion, and this isn't a situation that's going to stay static for long. But you're right, I should be careful how I present myself.

Do you think I should have the conversation now, so there isn't the ticking clock of a different job offer?

I would say earlier rather than later because the director may tell you it's really VP JoeBob's call and you have another leg of this fetch quest. Or he'll tell you that you are not eligible for whatever reason then you can start exploring other options.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going up schedule the conversation, but I need to have an honest conversation with myself if staying in this situation is worth the money.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
August 2018: Orders UV shielding for equipment windows. ~$4000.
September 2018: No movement on the PO because the vendor isn't in the system. To get around the delay, I cancel it and pays vendor with company credit card since it's under the self-approval $ limit.
October 2018: Shielding vendor comes in and installs the UV protection. Everything is fine.
April 2019: Outsourced procurement group in Costa Rica sends me the paperwork to add the vendor to the system because they can't process my (canceled so why are they even doing this) PO without the vendor in the system. :doh:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sundae posted:

August 2018: Orders UV shielding for equipment windows. ~$4000.
September 2018: No movement on the PO because the vendor isn't in the system. To get around the delay, I cancel it and pays vendor with company credit card since it's under the self-approval $ limit.
October 2018: Shielding vendor comes in and installs the UV protection. Everything is fine.
April 2019: Outsourced procurement group in Costa Rica sends me the paperwork to add the vendor to the system because they can't process my (canceled so why are they even doing this) PO without the vendor in the system. :doh:

Add the vendor, let them process the PO and ask the salesguy at the vendor for 2K in cash.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Boy howdy I hate doing audits

How on Earth do I keep finding myself in jobs that involve auditing

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

C-Euro posted:

You hate yourself the most?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

C-Euro posted:

Reminds me of a great line: "My resume is just a list of things I don't like to do."

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

C-Euro posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

You hate yourself the most?

:emptyquote:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Trabant posted:

Reminds me of a great line: "My resume is just a list of things I don't like to do."

:eyepop: Maybe that's why I can't get hired anywhere else!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Trabant posted:

this is my life

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FrozenVent posted:

(“Oh we don’t think you’re ready for that position, you don’t have a degree.”
“I do actually. Master’s. In this specific field.”
“Well in a few more years, when you have more experience.”

Just in case anyone hasn't figured this out yet: "in a few more years" translates to "never" in all known languages. Even if it didn't, if it comes after a different, unrelated reason that you prove doesn't apply to you, giant alarm bells and flashing lights should be going off in your head, because they're obviously just casting around for any reason that isn't the real one.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah everyone in HR has hundreds of example.

Even setting aside the legal issues, it gets weird and awkward. Like when people want to drop off their paper resumes and want to talk to HR. No, we don’t do that. Here’s the website address. gently caress off before anyone remembers you, weirdo.

I did some hiring work for an office. I did my pre-screening phone interview one evening and one of the people I talked to sounded good at first but after we'd set a time she said a few things that set off red flags (wanted to go back to school for a totally different discipline/move away) for a 'for keeps' position. I realized I'd made a mistake setting up an interview with her but didn't want to cancel then and there so I called her the next day. I spent the morning feeling like a guilty rear end in a top hat and when I finally called her her reaction solidified my decision to cancel. She verbally attacked me 'well it probably went to someone who knows the boss. this is always how it goes' at a fairly high volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

:toot: got a raise after I did a project real well