Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Being dry during the day and being dry at night are completely different milestones.

Put her in the pull-ups and enjoy your sleep. She'll eventually get there on her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

sharkytm posted:

You don't. He's starving. Feed him.

Yeah my 4 month old woke up twice a night to eat. Maybe wake them up in the middle of the night for a feed and then put them back to sleep?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son is furious I won't pour syrup in his hand

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Being dry at night is generally a physical development thing, not a training thing. If a kid isn’t physically ready you just can’t train them to do it. Every kid hits it differently - my heavy sleeper kids was 6, and my lighter sleeper was right around 4.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

nachos posted:

Yeah my 4 month old woke up twice a night to eat. Maybe wake them up in the middle of the night for a feed and then put them back to sleep?

kecske posted:

Ya he's waking early because he's hungry as hell imo, do as other poster said and try a feed during the night

sharkytm posted:

You don't. He's starving. Feed him.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I feel like 4months is too early to sleep through the night as they'll need food. Maybe worth waking him at some point to put him on the breast? Could try doing a dreamfeed even.

Should have elaborated: He isn't starving, because he gets 160ml of milk whenever he wakes up. He drinks about a liter a day and is growing very well. He woke up previously at 3.30AM and then at 6ish for a bottle, but has recently started sleeping 9 hour stretches on his own. He just doesn't want to go to sleep after eating.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

Son is furious I won't pour syrup in his hand

Well why do you hate fun so much?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Renegret posted:

Truly the advice I would expect from a help dog call line. 5/5 bones, would suggest to others

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Finally took a step back from attempting to potty train our 23-month old. He kinda sorta got it, but it’s mostly not sticking. He can go when prompted *and* when he feels like it, but he can’t really communicate well/in time. Daycare agrees it’s too soon as well. Gonna hope to revisit in another couple months.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Renegret posted:

Because the instant you pour syrup in to their hands they'll complain that it's not ketchup!

3 year old pulled that the other day with dessert. He was given options of cookie or part of a chocolate easter bunny. He chose the chocolate easter bunny. After he had happily eaten all he was given, he then flipped out, "No I want bunny, I want cookie!"

Total, absolute meltdown over *checks notes* being given exactly what he had asked for.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
In his mind he was playing 4D chess to eliminate all other options and force you to have no choice but to give him the cookie, I think the logic is sound

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My 2 year old son is going through the Interminable Dinner phase and oh boy it’s just as unfun as it was with my first, but with an added bonus of louder meltdowns because that’s how he rolls.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Doll House Ghost posted:

Should have elaborated: He isn't starving, because he gets 160ml of milk whenever he wakes up. He drinks about a liter a day and is growing very well. He woke up previously at 3.30AM and then at 6ish for a bottle, but has recently started sleeping 9 hour stretches on his own. He just doesn't want to go to sleep after eating.

It might be worth trying to wake him around 4-5 hours after he goes to sleep and feeding him. It might allow him to go back to sleep and stay asleep longer.

Or it could horribly backfire and you'll be dealing with a fully awake baby at midnight but that's something you can handle once if it doesn't work.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I feel like a baby sleeping for 9 hours in a row at 4 months is a win. I don’t think ours did that until well after six months

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
would have literally committed murder to get 9 hrs consecutive sleep at 4mo w/ our first kid. I think it took til nearly 8mo to get that consistently with it starting to happen infrequently around 5-6mo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My wife offered to take the kids to the park since I had both of them all day, and I'm like sure

But now I'm just sitting on the internet missing them.

However the second they get home I'll be like, oh man I could have done so much more with that time........

Edit: Oh, I know! I'll play the piano! My daughter always tells me to stop. Not this time, scoop!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

extravadanza posted:

would have literally committed murder to get 9 hrs consecutive sleep at 4mo w/ our first kid. I think it took til nearly 8mo to get that consistently with it starting to happen infrequently around 5-6mo

My 2yo has never slept 9 hours lol what the gently caress

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

hallo spacedog posted:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Doll House Ghost posted:

Leaving feeding aside for one moment and focusing on wakefulness:

Not much you can do. If they're not sleepy you can't make them sleepy. If you have an early riser at 4mo you're stuck with it for now. It's very likely to change repeatedly this year, and approximately 2 seconds after you think you've gotten used to their latest trick.

With an older kid you can try things like delaying their bedtime in 5-15m increments everyday to shuffle the window but I don't think there's any point trying it with an infant.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah I think we had exactly the same problem with our son at around the same age (and he has generally been a great sleeper like your kid). I think he got better at sleeping later once we moved him to his own room at 5 months.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

Same, but both 2yo and 4yo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog posted:

My 4yo has never slept 9 hours lol what the gently caress

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Taking the two year old to Disneyland next week! We figured we should fit a trip in while he's still free and before we start trying to expand. No expectations, he's been on rides before at our local park, just going to go for vibes and exploring over trying to do lots of rides.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
quick update, I just jimmied a lock with the kids' plastic flathead screwdriver in front of them and now the 4yo is asking me about that

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
A little late, but I had to.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

Leaving feeding aside for one moment and focusing on wakefulness:

Not much you can do. If they're not sleepy you can't make them sleepy. If you have an early riser at 4mo you're stuck with it for now. It's very likely to change repeatedly this year, and approximately 2 seconds after you think you've gotten used to their latest trick.

With an older kid you can try things like delaying their bedtime in 5-15m increments everyday to shuffle the window but I don't think there's any point trying it with an infant.

Yeah, I think we'll just appreciate what we've been given and not mess with it too much - now we just follow his rhythm and that has been working pretty well. It's most likely subject to change anyway, he's still very small and has fun stuff like teeth still ahead of him.

Last night he missed his last nap and went to bed an hour earlier at 7PM filled with rage, woke up for 10 minutes to hork down a bottle at 2AM and 5.30AM and then slept until 8. Babies! A mystery!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Doll House Ghost posted:

Babies! A mystery!

Wrapped in an enigma, and smothered in special sauce.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Endings posted:

It's really good.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Endings posted:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Doll House Ghost posted:

Yeah, I think we'll just appreciate what we've been given and not mess with it too much - now we just follow his rhythm and that has been working pretty well. It's most likely subject to change anyway, he's still very small and has fun stuff like teeth still ahead of him.

Last night he missed his last nap and went to bed an hour earlier at 7PM filled with rage, woke up for 10 minutes to hork down a bottle at 2AM and 5.30AM and then slept until 8. Babies! A mystery!

An infant care koan.

A novice came to master Zhu.

Master, he said. I’m not getting enough sleep. My baby goes to sleep early in the evenings, which is great because it gives me time to do chores like folding the laundry. The problem is, it wakes up at 5 AM. What should I do?

The master replied:
Sleep when baby is sleeping
Eat when baby is eating
Fold laundry when baby is folding laundry

The novice thought this advice over, and was enlightened.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How am I supposed to get my kid excited to read when every bookstore has a goddamn toys r us inside of it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
library

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It took years before my daughter realized we weren't at the library just to play in the playroom or go to the playground

"Let's go pick out a couple books!"
"Wtf dad there's a train table what's this book poo poo"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nachos posted:

How am I supposed to get my kid excited to read when every bookstore has a goddamn toys r us inside of it

like all things child-related: patience

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I just destroyed this kid in Candyland.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Any tips on getting the absorbent stuff that’s inside a diaper, out of a load of laundry? Accidentally washed a diaper and it busted open and all that slimy gel is over everything. I’m on wash cycle number three.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Any tips on getting the absorbent stuff that’s inside a diaper, out of a load of laundry? Accidentally washed a diaper and it busted open and all that slimy gel is over everything. I’m on wash cycle number three.

I did this with a pull up recently. Admittedly a pull up has less filling than a full on diaper.

Put it in the dryer but clean the lint catch every 5-10 minutes because it will absolutely make a colossal mess. Have a vacuum ready the first few times. If you have the means to clean the entire vent it may not be a bad idea afterwards. It'll need another wash/dry cycle afterwards but two rounds was enough.

If you keep running it through the wash, it'll keep the powder hydrated and it'll just get mixed in, not removed. By the time the load is fully dry it'll be back to a fine powder that will just get mostly brushed off in the cycle.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
lol kiddo is doing his Duolingo ABCs and I’m doing Duolingo Hindi (which I’m already highly proficient in). He just turned to me and said “you’re doin it! Good job!!”

:3

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Koivunen posted:

Shake clothes out outside to get off what you can, clothes in the dryer (above post is right, definitely clean out the trap a few times), run a cleaning/sanitizing cycle on the washing machine after scooping out what you can of the gel, they should eventually clean out with hot water. All done. We did it once and I was freaking out but it really wasn't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
wheeeeee

So father's day weekend was hosed because my son had a stomach bug

now this weekend is hosed because my daughter has lice, which she picked up from day care because we got a few notices about it

this is why we can't have nice things

:shepicide:

edit:

literally just found out as we were doing bedtime. Wife is headed out to get Nix. All heads are suspect and will likely get treated. And now of course I notice every little tiny itch and have to wonder.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 25, 2023