Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Does anyone have a good video or article about posture/guitar height/angle while standing? I’ve been having some pains lately which is normal because my shoulders are garbage but I want to reassess my standing approach and see if there’s anything I can improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Re: posture I’ve taken to putting the guitar on my left leg and using the classical position even with electrics because otherwise I’m hunching over the guitar and making my back hurt for days

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
ok I think this is ready for submission. Redid the bass and rearranged some parts/accents

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/winter2018-novox

overall a fairly simple song and nothing too technical, the last three sections feel a lot better now

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

Re: posture I’ve taken to putting the guitar on my left leg and using the classical position even with electrics because otherwise I’m hunching over the guitar and making my back hurt for days

That’s how I’ve played for a while, variations of it at least. It’s great. I often find myself hunching when my leg isn’t elevated though.

Spanish Manlove posted:

ok I think this is ready for submission. Redid the bass and rearranged some parts/accents

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/winter2018-novox

overall a fairly simple song and nothing too technical, the last three sections feel a lot better now

When are you gonna put together an album my dude?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been wanting to put together an EP for a while. I even have a few ideas for names and song titles, but I'm happy with coming up with songs every six months lol

Edit: i'm also incredibly self conscious about writing/recording lyrics as everything just feels so corny that I just can't go through with it. Maybe one weekend I'll bring a case of beer over to my friends' house and we'll all help me brainstorm.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 6, 2018

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've been playing with my rightie guitar on my left leg. I see most people use their right leg, but for me holding an LP, I find it wants to pivot off my leg and I use some force in my left hand to balance it. The left leg position keeps my left hand 100% unencumbered.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I often find myself hunching when my leg isn’t elevated though.
One of the best things I ever did for my back was buy a cheap classical footrest. Those are super useful and generally only run for like :10bux:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Not a bad idea! I had ankle surgery and really shouldn't be playing standing up just yet, but this sitting and playing is kind of a drag.

Question of the day: Would it be worth replacing the tone and volume pots in either/both of my Squiers (CV Strat and VM Telecaster Deluxe)? I've read some articles that really advocate for it, billing it as a cheaper way to boost your tonal options without doing a full-on pickup swap. This is it I think... https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/27869-mod-garage-swap-that-tone-knob-for-a-warmth-control

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Guitar cushions are awesome for elevating the guitar seated. Dynarette is the name brand one everyone thinks of but I got a knockoff from amazon to see if I liked it, did, and never upgraded to the name brand because the knockoff has held up quite well over about three years or so. I don’t use it with larger guitars but for smaller ones and solid bodies it sure does make it more comfortable to play seated.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Posted on the last page about transcribing but I just wanted to say thanks for the help with some of the tips you all gave. Ended up downloading Transcribe which helped a bunch and I think I was able to figure out the initial opening riff. I think it starts with D which was throwing me off since I couldn't find a note that low in standard tuning. What I have so far is D F G A# G D F G F G. So assuming that is right just to figure out the rest. Also downloaded Functional Ear Trainer to work on getting my ears up to par.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

rio posted:

Guitar cushions are awesome for elevating the guitar seated. Dynarette is the name brand one everyone thinks of but I got a knockoff from amazon to see if I liked it, did, and never upgraded to the name brand because the knockoff has held up quite well over about three years or so. I don’t use it with larger guitars but for smaller ones and solid bodies it sure does make it more comfortable to play seated.

I just use all those music theory books I'll never read to elevate my foot!

But yeah, I don't understand how people can play with the guitar on their right leg and claim you "can't play a Flying V sitting down". Rhoads Vs are the most comfortable sitting guitar that exists...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

robbob posted:

Posted on the last page about transcribing but I just wanted to say thanks for the help with some of the tips you all gave. Ended up downloading Transcribe which helped a bunch and I think I was able to figure out the initial opening riff. I think it starts with D which was throwing me off since I couldn't find a note that low in standard tuning. What I have so far is D F G A# G D F G F G. So assuming that is right just to figure out the rest. Also downloaded Functional Ear Trainer to work on getting my ears up to par.

:yeah: that's what I got too - it's like a D minor pentatonic, but hitting the minor 6th too, if that makes sense. So once you have that root note, you can play around, notice the other notes are in that typical pentatonic pattern, and that's a big clue about what the others are gonna be. Which helps when you're trying to work stuff out by ear, having a bunch of likely possibilities, and a certain 'sound' between one note and another ('intervals' they're called) that makes certain moves recognisable, that kind of thing

and yeah having that low D in there is a good sign the song is in drop-D instead of standard, but at least you managed to find it! If you recognised it by playing a D in a higher octave (like A string 5th fret) then even better

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm starting to have second thoughts about my Classic Vibe Tele's set up. I didn't think it needed anything but I'm trying to play Limelight by Rush and the travel at the 4th fret is a little too far for my taste. I did the same lick on my Pacifica, which I did have set up, and it seemed easier to do the quick open to 4th presses. They both have the exact same 9-42 strings on them.

The only thing is I tried adjusting the truss rod already and the first fret started buzzing easily, so I backed it off until it stopped happening as much.

Would I have to mess with the string height at the bridge to fix this? I don't want to buy a bunch of special tools and rulers, but I also don't want to take it in for 60 buck set up if I can do it myself. Maybe if I try some 10s on it next time the strings won't slip out from my fingers as easily?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 7, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah the action (string height) affects the overall distance between the string and the fretboard. The truss rod adjusts the curve of the neck, to avoid certain frets buzzing, so that's more something you'd adjust when you have problems in certain places. There are setup guides and videos that tell you how to do it with exact measurements, so it's just a case of do the first adjustment, do the second, badda bing it should play nice

Here's a dude explaining the truss rod with some bits of card to measure the gap and see if it needs adjusting - once that's fine, you can adjust the saddles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_qZ_QGXI4w

going for a heavier gauge won't help - the extra tension will be harder to press and it'll pull the string higher off the fretboard, you'd have to adjust the setup to counteract that

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

Would I have to mess with the string height at the bridge to fix this? I don't want to buy a bunch of special tools and rulers, but I also don't want to take it in for 60 buck set up if I can do it myself. Maybe if I try some 10s on it next time the strings won't slip out from my fingers as easily?

https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-2019...s=allen+key+set

Grab those. 99% of my setup work is done with those + a screwdriver + a tuner. I have a handy mm ruler but most of the time I eye things up and go by feel.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So I gave it a go. Luckily I happened to have the right wrench around. I used a credit card as a feeler gauge on the word of some Italian guy on youtube.

The strings are definitely lower and the feel is closer to the Pacifica, but there’s buzzing when I go up to the higher frets. Intonation seems ok at least.

I’ll let my teacher give it a look tomorrow. He’s also going to be the guy who would end up doing the setup, so I’m a little wary since a little tweak would net him 60 bucks, but I’m just paranoid.

It was fun messing with it at least.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat that’s a pretty cutthroat teacher to charge 60 bucks to a student for a small tweak. Anything that I can do within lesson time I don’t charge for and that is basically any setup related stuff. They are paying for the time anyway and I’d feel like a dick charging my normal guitar setup rates to a student if I knew it was something quick and simple like a truss rod adjustment or bridge/saddle height adjustment. Bigger jobs like electronics or fretwork though, sure since those take time but if that’s the norm for other teachers then even more reason for people to learn how to do their own basic maintenance.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

skooma512 posted:

So I gave it a go. Luckily I happened to have the right wrench around. I used a credit card as a feeler gauge on the word of some Italian guy on youtube.

The strings are definitely lower and the feel is closer to the Pacifica, but there’s buzzing when I go up to the higher frets. Intonation seems ok at least.

I’ll let my teacher give it a look tomorrow. He’s also going to be the guy who would end up doing the setup, so I’m a little wary since a little tweak would net him 60 bucks, but I’m just paranoid.

It was fun messing with it at least.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/relief4.html

Some adjustment tips! Basically if it's only buzzing on the higher frets, you've probably put too much bow in the neck - the valley is too deep, so as the string travels up the slope, it clips the top of the hill instead of clearing it

The gauge he uses for the guitar is a piece of card, so a credit card is a bit thicker (that's recommended for a bass) and that might be why you're getting buzz. But at the end of the day, if it's buzzing you gotta adjust until it's not!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

rio posted:

drat that’s a pretty cutthroat teacher to charge 60 bucks to a student for a small tweak. Anything that I can do within lesson time I don’t charge for and that is basically any setup related stuff. They are paying for the time anyway and I’d feel like a dick charging my normal guitar setup rates to a student if I knew it was something quick and simple like a truss rod adjustment or bridge/saddle height adjustment. Bigger jobs like electronics or fretwork though, sure since those take time but if that’s the norm for other teachers then even more reason for people to learn how to do their own basic maintenance.

Well we’ll see. It would be interesting to see how they react. Ideally he would tell me what to fix and how and with what, but if he goes for the upsell that’s useful information too.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

hey guitar thread. are there any brands that make electrics with a wider neck similar to a nylon string classical guitar? looking for something in the 4-600 range.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I ended up buying a Yamaha FG-830 through kraft music.

Lots of people on reddit and in other forums say I need to get a setup for it, but do I really? I figured the action might be a bit high out of the box, but it feels fine to me.

The only thing I noticed is when I’m tuning it using the 5th fret and 7th fret, the 5th fret doesn’t really produce a harmonic on the E string (the thicker of the two E strings, the one on the top).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You'll find it. You can also get a free tuner for your phone. And metronome.

One of the weird things about the CV Tele is I'm having trouble hitting 5th string harmonics on it. I'll have to work at it myself.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

hey guitar thread. are there any brands that make electrics with a wider neck similar to a nylon string classical guitar? looking for something in the 4-600 range.
Perhaps you could start with these fellows?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ASenileAnimal posted:

Some of the ibanez necks feel pretty wide to me, not quite classical sized but still plenty of room to get your plucking fingers in there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

You'll find it. You can also get a free tuner for your phone. And metronome.

One of the weird things about the CV Tele is I'm having trouble hitting 5th string harmonics on it. I'll have to work at it myself.

Yeah, you’re right. I thought I had it tuned and used a tuner to find out everything was down tuned quite a bit. Once it was actually tuned the harmonics work fine.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Some of the ibanez necks feel pretty wide to me, not quite classical sized but still plenty of room to get your plucking fingers in there.

thanks. ill check out a few out in a shop. just switched to guitar for a project after 15 years on bass and i want to try one with a wider string spacing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ASenileAnimal posted:

thanks. ill check out a few out in a shop. just switched to guitar for a project after 15 years on bass and i want to try one with a wider string spacing.

Check out some of the PRS wide neck guitars too if you can.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

The santana model has a neck that feels like a baseball bat.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My SVN is a total surfboard.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

agile/rondomusic has wide neck les paul copies within your budget

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

nwin posted:

I ended up buying a Yamaha FG-830 through kraft music.

Lots of people on reddit and in other forums say I need to get a setup for it, but do I really? I figured the action might be a bit high out of the box, but it feels fine to me.

The only thing I noticed is when I’m tuning it using the 5th fret and 7th fret, the 5th fret doesn’t really produce a harmonic on the E string (the thicker of the two E strings, the one on the top).

If you’re happy with it then you don’t need it, but especially for acoustics the tension is high in general, and if you’re a beginner you need all the help you can get.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

ASenileAnimal posted:

Warmoth makes some absurdly wide (like wider than an ibanez wizard) neck. You could probably pick up a loaded strat body + some cheap tuners and keep the neck + body under 600, though you'd probably need a fret level.

Tangentially, techs charge *way* too much for fret levels. Unless it's stainless steel it takes me around 30-40 mins to tape off the neck and level/crown/polish frets with the right tools. (Diamond impregnated crowning file cut down crowning from an hour long affair to a 10 minute one). Local places here charge $200 for that poo poo. Takes me longer to change strings on a floyd rose!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

skooma512 posted:

If you’re happy with it then you don’t need it, but especially for acoustics the tension is high in general, and if you’re a beginner you need all the help you can get.

What would high tension affect? Is that the same as the action being too high?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The strings are thicker and more taut, so they take more effort to press down - and the further you have to press the more it resists. So high action (string height off the fretboard) means it's harder to fret a note, but it's also more awkward in general when you have to press a long way, and the high tension just makes that worse

if you want a probably bad analogy... it's a bit like typing on a keyboard, if you have to do deep presses to get the key to register, that can be hard work compared to one where you only need to tap lightly. And if the key really resists, it's gonna be fatiguing to use (bad analogy because some people like that... but hey some people like high tension and massive action on their strings too)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 9, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah it just makes it harder to press.

If you've been playing for years you can pick up a guitar with relatively high action or tension and barely notice for a lot of stuff but I remember how hard my cheap (set up properly, at least) acoustic was.

Also I got a Focusrite 2i2 and condenser mic today and am playing with that and using the line out on my bass amp and new to me Mark V 25. It's all very fun!

Spent a good few hours trying to record from bass -> Bias -> ??? and completely failing before I remembered I own a bass amp with a balanced line out and just plugged that right in and have a decent clear tone with basically no effort. No effects but I don't think anything I wanted to record any time soon was going to use them anyway.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah that makes sense. Yeah I haven’t played a guitar in 15 years or so but I had been playing for 10 before that-all electric though. I do remember playing on one guitar with high action and it was just a pain in the rear end more than anything.

This one seems fine so far-I’ll keep playing it and see how I like it but are there any big warning signals that might tell me I need to get it set up? I have heard replacing the strings on it normally does quite a bit for the sound, so I’ll probably do that in a few months.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nwin posted:

have heard replacing the strings on it normally does quite a bit for the sound, so I’ll probably do that in a few months.

Replace strings roughly once a month if you play with any regularity. People who play a shitload change strings roughly once a week. It's kinda hard to put into words but old strings will feel less springy, more wooden/stiff, and to put it in one word: "Dead." It's not really something I can write out, or even something that you can show in a video, it's more of a feel thing. Yeah the sound changes (arguably for the worse) as strings wear out but it's more of a change in how they feel.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

agile/rondomusic has wide neck les paul copies within your budget

i had an agile les paul copy that i got from them years ago when they were still in jersey. suuuper thin neck and really easy to do chord stuff on. not what id want now but it was insanely good for the 250 i paid for it. sadly i brought it as a backup for my guitar player at a gig and he forgot it at the venue and its gone forever :smith:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Replace strings roughly once a month if you play with any regularity. People who play a shitload change strings roughly once a week. It's kinda hard to put into words but old strings will feel less springy, more wooden/stiff, and to put it in one word: "Dead." It's not really something I can write out, or even something that you can show in a video, it's more of a feel thing. Yeah the sound changes (arguably for the worse) as strings wear out but it's more of a change in how they feel.

This is generally good advice but if you use coated strings you can get away with not changing them for a *lot* longer. So if you really hate changing strings -- I used to before I had a bunch of guitars cuz it's 20 mins you could spend playing -- go for Elixir (or whatever) coated strings.

(Which is why you should always use coated strings on a double locking trem guitar...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Depends on the sound you want too. Generally it’s true that most people will like newer string sounds more than old ones but some people like and derive their sound from old strings. Often a lot of old school guitar sounds are using dead strings, and not even just in jazz although that’s where it is most typical. I think it’s worth guitarists trying to keep old strings on a guitar for an extended period of time, if not because they will find that they like the sound then to easily identify what dead strings sound like so they can learn when to change strings in the future. Of course if you have skin that eats up strings, play with dirty hands etc. and the strings start to get corroded and rough then it’s time to change then either way. I try to wash my hands before playing, although not all the time, and can easily get 9 months to a year out of a set of strings on some of my guitars. It suits the livelier sounding guitars well and they are still smooth and not corroded. Sounds like poo poo on some other guitars though. Oh, also older strings will sometimes not intonate properly and that’s another reason to change them. They can even get imperceptible damage that causes fret buzz so there are a number of factors to consider even if you do like old string sound.