Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean there are tons of places in the US we haven't been too yet that would make for interesting environments. My personal dream is Fallout in the Florida Keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I think that could work. check out the last of us as an example

I guess it can be a good story so it can work for some games, but nothing that would work at all in a fallout game. The bed-sitting room maybe is the closest to being some sort of weird fallout/monty python hybrid but even that feels 1000% more bleak than any american pop culture about nuclear war.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Fallout Dubai would be really interesting but the Americanization of the area didn't really happen until waaaaay after Fallout's retrofuture inspiration :sigh:

I assume Fallout: Dubai would look exactly like Spec Ops: The Line

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Curie confirmed for the ultimate waifu, sorry other companions you just don't stack up

This Isn't Even Her Final Form

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Fallout Dubai would be really interesting but the Americanization of the area didn't really happen until waaaaay after Fallout's retrofuture inspiration :sigh:

and america won't look like the 50's but with nuclear cars/robots in 2077 but that didn't stop them

not that there would ever be a fallout dubai, tho you can make a game like fallout without it being fallout

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess it can be a good story so it can work for some games, but nothing that would work at all in a fallout game. The bed-sitting room maybe is the closest to being some sort of weird fallout/monty python hybrid but even that feels 1000% more bleak than any american pop culture about nuclear war.

it can absolutely work in a game like fallout. I don't think it would be a good fit for fallout itself tho

Serf
May 5, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean there are tons of places in the US we haven't been too yet that would make for interesting environments. My personal dream is Fallout in the Florida Keys.

I still stand by Fallout: Georgia with redneck super mutants.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Manatee Cannon posted:

and america won't look like the 50's but with nuclear cars/robots in 2077 but that didn't stop them

not that there would ever be a fallout dubai, tho you can make a game like fallout without it being fallout

I mean you could make a game that certainly has the tone of Fallout without calling it Fallout, but then it'd have to ride that awful line where if you don't call it Fallout everyone will complain that they might as well have used the name, but if you do call it Fallout everyone will complain that it's nothing like the others.

Fallout.

Really though I just have an interest in the effects of the American culture war in foreign countries and Fallout has a really great framework for exploring that sort of idea even though its tone is 40~ years too early.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 17, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Phenotype posted:

Question from later on in the main quest: Is it ever made clear whether or not synths are actually killing people and taking their place? I just did the Institute quest that starts with delivering a packet of seeds to an undercover synth farmer, and the ending made me pause - the antagonist there is suspicious and wants to kill the synth, and says "The REAL farmer is already dead, because this synth killed him!" Is that true? The other alternative is that maybe the synth has been aboveground long enough to have had a wife and kids?

I haven't finished the game yet, but I already know I'm not going to get to sit down with Shaun and say "look, the institute is incredible, and I'm totally onboard, but we need to stop loving with the surface and stop keeping all these human synths as slaves. Keep making them for the labor if you want, just quit trying to make them so smart. No one ever complained about the rights of a Mr. Gutsy."

The story is just bad.

The institute even says its has decided to just remain underground.

The people creating the biggest mess is the railroad, they are hiding synths and not even trying good enough. The people who should be stopping the rumors of synths being humans should be the railroad. Instead they are creating this mass hysteria causing everyone to be paranoid and scared of synths.

Most likely the first synth that killed that guy at the noodle shop was most likely a lovely mind wipe that the railroad did.

The institute had zero reason to replace people. They were making an army of synth hunting synths themselves because they couldnt even keep track of all their robots even though they have the power of teleportation anywhere IN BOSTON!

The institutes plan was to get a nuclear reactor running so they could make more robots or make better guns for the robots. Even though their goal was just to remain underground.

The railroad was getting synths wiping their memory and putting them places. Most likely the railroad is capturing people and replacing them with synths to hide them because they are lazy.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Man, the packmule cows the traders bring around don't give a gently caress. http://www.twitch.tv/thegreatgildersneeze/v/25524031

No seriously. http://www.twitch.tv/thegreatgildersneeze/v/26288659 Not one gently caress.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

it can absolutely work in a game like fallout. I don't think it would be a good fit for fallout itself tho

I guess I'm saying america produced a lot of post apocalyptic fiction where someone is a hero and braves the wastes to save the day. Most of the big deal british depictions of it are people hiding in a hole and crying then crawling out to see their family die then dying themselves, often with some note at the end that things are only gonna get worse. Like "when the wind blows" ends with the main character dying in sacks from radiation poisoning they can't even understand, threads ends in some sort of endless farming incest mutation future, who the hell knows how the quiet earth ends but everyone is dead for sure and the bed sitting room ends with everyone mutated into dumb things and the last baby on earth is born mutant (the at least a comedy extra end that is a little brighter).

Throw "on the beach" into that list as well.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 17, 2015

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Denver was supposed to be in Van Buren, you also hear a bit about it in New Vegas. Apparently it's a city of scavengers who live on the top of skyscrapers with bridges inbetween them because hordes of feral dogs and cyber-dogs inhabit the streets. It was also one of the really lovely places right before the Great War, so it'd be neat to see.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Broken Cog posted:

Huh, apparently settlers will use any gun you equip on them if you also give them at least 1 appropriate ammo. They will never actually use this ammo, just keep it in their inventory.
Better get to hauling back all those Miniguns you find scattered around.

I've heard the world outside of the states in the Fallout universe is kind of irrelevant. Europe apparently destroyed most of itself before the bombs even fell, and most of Asia and Africa are even worse off than the States.

Edit: Apparently the British Isles are actually somewhat keeping up, though, from what I've gathered.

That could make the whole thing more interesting though, up the survival aspect and present a whole new level of bitter conflict. I'd love to see a post-apocalyptic Rome, for example. Or go trekking in the irradiated remains of formerly picturesque Norway. Visit camps built around ancient ruins outside of Italian blast zones, or climb mountains in Norway to find weird techno-vikings (who are most likely awkward neo-nazis, seeing as that's what Asatru-douchebags seems to deviate towards nowadays).

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

I can see it being DLC to FO: Miami but I also don't want to see FO: Miami over potentially New Orleans or NYC.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not in our 2077 but Fallout diverged from our own history in the 50s. Check the World Series banners around Diamond City and you might notice something.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Defiance Industries posted:

Not in our 2077 but Fallout diverged from our own history in the 50s. Check the World Series banners around Diamond City and you might notice something.

I nearly forgot that America annexed Canada in the Fallout world, that'd be an interesting setting (:canada:)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

This. This, oh, this. It was really frustrating that I could never grill anyone I met from the Institute. Nick lost his memories so he has an excuse, but Virgil could have told me everything I needed to know, which would have been smart since he wanted me to steal something from there. When I get to the Institute proper, Shaun gives me errands instead of explanations. I hacked a few computers to dig up info, but find nothing really meaningful.

Why is the Institute making synths? Why are they so keen on recovering runaways when they can mass produce the things like sausages? Why are they replacing people on the surface with synth doppelgangers? If their goal is to rebuild human society, what have they been doing the past 200 years in their isolated lair?

At least Caesar will spill his entire guts and plan before you disembowel him

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess I'm saying america produced a lot of post apocalyptic fiction where someone is a hero and braves the wastes to save the day. Most of the big deal british depictions of it are people hiding in a hole and crying then crawling out to see their family die then dying themselves, often with some note at the end that things are only gonna get worse. Like "when the wind blows" ends with the main character dying in sacks from radiation poisoning they can't even understand, threads ends in some sort of endless farming incest mutation future, who the hell knows how the quiet earth ends but everyone is dead for sure and the bed sitting room ends with everyone mutated into dumb things and the last baby on earth is born mutant (the at least a comedy extra end that is a little brighter).

hero fiction being big in america doesn't mean that a bleak open world game can't exist

... that was my point?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There are apparently locations and loot (including one set of power armor) underwater, so Aquaboy isn't completely useless. Though I guess Power Armor makes it redundant.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's strange that after 200 years the people of the Commonwealth haven't started rebuilding the world and are living in shacks or ruined buildings. At least pick up a broom clean away the dust! Do you guys remember Vault City and the NCR from Fallout 2? Those settlements featured newly constructed buildings that were sturdy and clean. That gave the impression that humanity was slowly but surely getting its poo poo back together.

I think the timeframe for Fallout 4 is off. This game should have been set 2 years after the bombs fell. The survivors of the Great War are just picking themselves up and are living in whatever structures that are still standing because they haven't yet organized themselves into large societies that are capable of rebuilding. Most pre-War foodstuffs are still edible because they haven't passed their expiry date.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There are huge treks of water within the map boundaries, so I wonder if they hid something interesting somewhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

It's also mentioned on the TV in the intro sequence, if you take your time looking around and listening to it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fallout Texas or bust. Can even have part of mexico.

Also I have two options for a legendary sniper gun. Faster fire rate and reload by 15% or poison? My gut says poison, fire rate isnt the issue with a bolt action thing.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
For people not up to date on the history (or havent played all of the previous ones) of Fallout, this is worth watching. There are a few things I didn't realize as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abdqo4v4NLQ

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Baron Bifford posted:

It's strange that after 200 years the people of the Commonwealth haven't started rebuilding the world and are living in shacks or ruined buildings. At least pick up a broom clean away the dust! Do you guys remember Vault City and the NCR from Fallout 2? Those settlements featured newly constructed buildings that were sturdy and clean. That gave the impression that humanity was slowly but surely getting its poo poo back together.

I think the timeframe for Fallout 4 is off. This game should have been set 2 years after the bombs fell. The survivors of the Great War are just picking themselves up and are living in whatever structures that are still standing because they haven't yet organized themselves into large societies that are capable of rebuilding. Most pre-War foodstuffs are still edible because they haven't passed their expiry date.

Counterpoint: people on the West Coast are inherently better than those from other parts of the country.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Counterpoint: people on the West Coast are inherently better than those from other parts of the country.
just once i'd like to see adobe concrete buildings in a 3d fallout game

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Baron Bifford posted:

It's strange that after 200 years the people of the Commonwealth haven't started rebuilding the world and are living in shacks or ruined buildings.

People keep pointing this out, but what if the radiation levels have only just now begun to be bearable in the past 10 or so years?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

hero fiction being big in america doesn't mean that a bleak open world game can't exist

I guess I mean you can't draw from the area's post apocalyptic fiction for setting the same way. If you drew from the 1950s america's ideas about what the places you went to were like it might be funny but fallout africa or fallout china or something would be garbage.

If you just made up stuff whole cloth or went realistic it'd be kinda just nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

just once i'd like to see adobe concrete buildings in a 3d fallout game

It'd be funny if you came across a town on the east coast that tried it only to realize what happens when it rains as often as it does.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tenzarin posted:

The story is just bad.

The institute even says its has decided to just remain underground.

The people creating the biggest mess is the railroad, they are hiding synths and not even trying good enough. The people who should be stopping the rumors of synths being humans should be the railroad. Instead they are creating this mass hysteria causing everyone to be paranoid and scared of synths.

Most likely the first synth that killed that guy at the noodle shop was most likely a lovely mind wipe that the railroad did.

The institute had zero reason to replace people. They were making an army of synth hunting synths themselves because they couldnt even keep track of all their robots even though they have the power of teleportation anywhere IN BOSTON!

The institutes plan was to get a nuclear reactor running so they could make more robots or make better guns for the robots. Even though their goal was just to remain underground.

The railroad was getting synths wiping their memory and putting them places. Most likely the railroad is capturing people and replacing them with synths to hide them because they are lazy.

Various terminals inside the institute confirm that they are the ones replacing people with synths. A terminal in bioscience details a plan to murder and then replace a farm owner with a synth, unbeknownst to the rest of his family, and a terminal in the SRB section details how Mayor MacDonagh has been murdered and replaced with a synth, specifically to prevent the leadership of Diamond City doing investigations into missing persons and synths.

If you do the railroad quests, it's pretty clear that the railroad's goal is always to get people out of the commonwealth because the institute's reach is much more tenuous beyond the commonwealth. There is no evidence in the game that I have seen which indicates that the Railroad kills people to replace them with synths, while there is actual documentation created by the institute which confirms that they do that.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum on previous pages. I'm only picking the console & game up next week and am trying to go in as blind as possible, but I'm curious where I should set my expectations:

1) Are the quality of writing in the main plot, side quest choices/resolutions, and character dialogue similar to FO3, New Vegas, or in between?
2) Is the strategy/planning ahead when choosing skills/perks/traits/etc more like FO3 (too easy to max everything), like Vegas (more specialized), or other?
3) Anything new introduced (crafting seems to be revamped and expanded from some of the trailers I spotted) that is either really well implemented, or a massive pain in the rear end?

Thanks!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Reveilled posted:

Various terminals inside the institute confirm that they are the ones replacing people with synths. A terminal in bioscience details a plan to murder and then replace a farm owner with a synth, unbeknownst to the rest of his family, and a terminal in the SRB section details how Mayor MacDonagh has been murdered and replaced with a synth, specifically to prevent the leadership of Diamond City doing investigations into missing persons and synths.

If you do the railroad quests, it's pretty clear that the railroad's goal is always to get people out of the commonwealth because the institute's reach is much more tenuous beyond the commonwealth. There is no evidence in the game that I have seen which indicates that the Railroad kills people to replace them with synths, while there is actual documentation created by the institute which confirms that they do that.

That still doesn't make the game any better.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd be funny if you came across a town on the east coast that tried it only to realize what happens when it rains as often as it does.
a bunch of people starting and restarting a continuously failing concrete construction project would own and it would be in various stages of construction/melting depending on the week you visited

as an aside the NCR has a concrete-manufacturing infrastructure and were about to start one in NV until the powder gangers took all the dynamite and rioted, which sort of explains why there aren't buildings like that in New Vegas but at the same time that's some serious blueballs because I'd like a residential building that doesn't look like poo poo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

There are huge treks of water within the map boundaries, so I wonder if they hid something interesting somewhere.

And the map extends out of the defined boundaries in several places, notably in the Glowing Sea. Who know what's out there.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just found the treasure of Jamaica plain and it was surprisingly :unsmith:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kalensc posted:

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum on previous pages. I'm only picking the console & game up next week and am trying to go in as blind as possible, but I'm curious where I should set my expectations:

1) Are the quality of writing in the main plot, side quest choices/resolutions, and character dialogue similar to FO3, New Vegas, or in between?
2) Is the strategy/planning ahead when choosing skills/perks/traits/etc more like FO3 (too easy to max everything), like Vegas (more specialized), or other?
3) Anything new introduced (crafting seems to be revamped and expanded from some of the trailers I spotted) that is either really well implemented, or a massive pain in the rear end?

Thanks!

1. The main plot is better than Fallout 3. The side quest choices/resolutions are much closer to Fallout 3 than New Vegas--that is, most sidequests are very linear with extremely minor variations. There are more quests than there are in New Vegas, but they're (in general) much less about your choices and offering different resolutions. I much prefer the New Vegas method--Fallout 4 is more about exploration than intricate quests, which isn't my personal preference.

2. While I wouldn't say it's "easy to max everything" in Fallout 4, it's possible because there's no level cap (at all). If you know what the good perks are and which SPECIAL stats are worth leveling, it's also easy to max everything worth maxing. Specialization kind of comes down to three questions: "Melee or guns?", "How much VATS?", and "Sneaky or loud?"

3. Crafting is good and fun. You can also build settlements (lots of them). What you can do with them is pretty limited, but some people are getting super into it. The new dialog system is total rear end. Shooting is massively improved.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

kalensc posted:

Thanks!

1) Quality of writing is poorer than New Vegas, slightly better than FO3
2) FO3. It's easier to be a jack of all trades and master of some, or most.
3) Crafting and settlement-building. Vertibirds, jetpacks and way more verticality.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

If you clean everything up, it's post-post-apocolypse and Fallout is post-apocalyptic. So you either pull a Canticle and have the world nuke itself again, or you accept the strange mix of 50s idealistic "Everything America Builds Will Survive In Some Fashion" and 80s cynical "The world is perpetually hosed" that is Fallouts take on things.

My personal headcanon is that there's enough of the pre-war tech and people around from that time (and the terrible poo poo that spawns from it) that there's an subconscious learned helplessness in most people in the Fallout world. You regularly see the ruins and horrors of the pre-war world, you don't want to go trying to recreate it, because either it'll be just wiped out by raiders, or it'll lead to another great war way down the line.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kalensc posted:

Thanks!

the plot stuff is inbetween fallout 3 and new vegas, leaning towards the former. it starts a little slow, picks up a lot, then slowly falls apart as you go

you won't max everything but there's no level cap anymore so there are way perks to take. they changed some stuff about leveling up tho. you get one point to put into a perl (which all have multiple levels) or a special stat. there are no medical/repair/energy weapon/etc stats to level up anymore

they simplified the way dialog works (mass effect style now, but no dialog options based on your stats - it's just a chance to succeed that is easier based on your charisma and your perks), but it's not bad or anything. some people like it less than others. the crafting is very simple. the base building is the big change, which is pretty cool but there are some things they could have done better

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Thanks!

1) In between I'd say - on a quality scale with 3 being the lowest and NV being the highest I'd say it's very close to NV. Succeeds in some ways but fails in others,

2) Some perks are more generalized like ballistic and energy weapons being under the same perk, only being separated by whether they're rifles or pistols. It still requires a lot of planning ahead though as many perks don't truly become useful until later levels, or some perks that initially seem useful aren't really worth the investment later.

3) Inventory is a massive step up - you hover your crosshair over a container and the inventory pops up automatically and fades when you move your crosshair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manatee Cannon posted:

the plot stuff is inbetween fallout 3 and new vegas, leaning towards the former. it starts a little slow, picks up a lot, then slowly falls apart as you go

you won't max everything but there's no level cap anymore so there are way perks to take. they changed some stuff about leveling up tho. you get one point to put into a perl (which all have multiple levels) or a special stat. there are no medical/repair/energy weapon/etc stats to level up anymore

they simplified the way dialog works (mass effect style now, but no dialog options based on your stats - it's just a chance to succeed that is easier based on your charisma and your perks), but it's not bad or anything. some people like it less than others. the crafting is very simple. the base building is the big change, which is pretty cool but there are some things they could have done better

How the gently caress do shops make money?

• Locked thread