Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not in AZ. I'm in Chi. My third interview is Monday (weird day for it, but we're both off) so I'm not sure if I'm gonna be taking over an existing book or creating my own (assuming I'm starting from scratch). I'd assume I'm gonna be starting my own with the option of buying out a failed FA's book, but I'll know more once I solidify everything.

Honestly, it's just whether I want to deal with losing/gaining peoples entire life. As a banker it's easy, but going back to being an FA is gonna be a lot harder mentally. I don't get personally involved with things as a banker (I'll obviously step in and waive things when I can), but theres only so much I can do. When I was an FA I'd take everything personally. Any slight to my clients was a slight to me.

I've had a really rough year last year, personally. I'm just afraid that if I decide to take this step, that I'm gonna be colder than I should be for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

pmchem posted:

NVidia has a P/E ratio of ~54 right now.

Historically, for other fast growing high-performing companies, how does that hold up? What were the P/E ratios for Intel and MSFT in the early/mid '90s? How will NVidia's P/E ratio eventually come down to something normal? Stock split? Price correction?

Haven’t “normal” P/E ratios trended up over time so you can’t compare historically?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Sorry, I misread. So basically you're staying in Chicago, just switching from banking to advising? My buddy that's an advisor recently moved (firms) from STL to SF and made up the difference by buying a retiring advisor's book. It was a lot of money, but it's paid over 3 or 4 years. I'm not sure on the exact details, but he's a good enough friend I would have no problems digging if you'd like. I think it's definitely worth looking into to help offset your loss in salary.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

pmchem posted:

NVidia has a P/E ratio of ~54 right now.

Historically, for other fast growing high-performing companies, how does that hold up? What were the P/E ratios for Intel and MSFT in the early/mid '90s? How will NVidia's P/E ratio eventually come down to something normal? Stock split? Price correction?

50 PE is pricing in about 50% growth (historically). They actually justified that last year because they grew top line 40% and bottom line 300% from 2016.

But also keep in mind the risk free return right now is 1.4%. During the 90's it was between 3% and 6%. So you should expect to pay more for equities.

How will NVDA PE come down? If all things go right, the E goes up, and the P doesn't go up as much. The earnings growth has to slow down eventually, and as it slows, the multiple will lower accordingly, until it stabilizes. Basically just look at Apple, or Microsoft, or any large tech company.

Or earnings stop growing at the expected rate, and the price adjust accordingly. Stock split, uh, doesn't mean anything.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So I should be heating my house with graphics cards? Do I burn them or what?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just buy rent a bunch of these

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Go Weed Go :slick:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

weed stocks are back baby

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

weeeeed

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

b- b- butt the market is closed today :goofy:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Jack Daniels posted:

Weedcoin never closes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Jack Daniels posted:

not the weed market aka the tsx

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think Kodak collocates them but there will probably soon be a million of them for sale on ebay I will keep my eyes open.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Always bet on green.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Crypto going down the shitter today. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of traders

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Weed will see me through this cryptocrisis.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Also weed stocks

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
More Weed ETFs coming:

2 New Marijuana ETFs Coming

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

drat $HAWK up 23%. i was this close to buying them a couple weeks ago

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jamfrost posted:

:pray:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Rocks posted:

drat $HAWK up 23%. i was this close to buying them a couple weeks ago

I swung it last week for a small profit. Set my alert to buy back at $38, then this.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Ended up selling my SPX calls today since it's been nearly impossible to concentrate at work. Starting the year off with a $50k gain is a nice change of pace. Was thinking of selling them earlier this morning when I hit that 1000% return, but got greedy. Oh well.

In other news, interesting volume on KODK 10 calls:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/KODK/options?p=KODK

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Harry posted:

Ended up selling my SPX calls today since it's been nearly impossible to concentrate at work. Starting the year off with a $50k gain is a nice change of pace. Was thinking of selling them earlier this morning when I hit that 1000% return, but got greedy. Oh well.

That's massive volume. Any idea why? People really expect it to jump 20% in 2 days?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jvick posted:

That's massive volume. Any idea why? People really expect it to jump 20% in 2 days?
Insider trading incoming

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Harry posted:

Congrats on the gains, I found a guy on wallstreetbets with the same idea.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Risky Bisquick posted:

I need to learn to option trade. This is ridiculous.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It goes the other way too 😉

But yeah, when you hit on an options bet oooohh it feels so good.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
$KODK
People are buying a ton of 19-Jan-18 10.00 Calls today :monocle:

$KODK - Continue the short, what a dumpster fire

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Options, huh?

Any opinions on Robinhood for options trading?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Risky Bisquick posted:

I was pretty much just copying him. He's actually up like 2-3 million since he started buying OTM calls before thanksgiving.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Harry posted:

I was pretty much just copying him. He's actually up like 2-3 million since he started buying OTM calls before thanksgiving.

:aaaaa:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

jvick posted:

End of Week 1 for the Goon ETF.

Can we ditch GE and replace it with INTC tomorrow? GE is dead, INTC news overblown.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

dougdrums posted:

Can we ditch GE and replace it with INTC tomorrow? GE is dead, INTC news overblown.

I could see INTC treading water for a while. But then again, GE is dead.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

dougdrums posted:

That's fine with me. I'm just simply placing the trades, as long as a few others agree.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Harry posted:

I could see INTC treading water for a while. But then again, GE is dead.

Would you recommend a short or put option on GE instead?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Uh whatever is reasonable for jan 18.5 call and jun 16 put? It will be a learning experience.

Also can we get MJX 4/20 calls? I did not know we could get options.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 17, 2018

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
How can anyone have a price target on GE when 1) they’ve been trying to sell off their “low margin” businesses for like 3 years and their margins keep going down, like they don’t even know what businesses make what money; and 2) they just periodically discover billions of dollars of losses/writedowns? They guided for $3 billion on reinsurance reserve provision in November, $6 billion today.

Company’s a mess but it’s not an understandable mess, I wouldn’t touch it long or short.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lmao @BagholderQuotes is having a field day with the crypto dump :D

https://twitter.com/BagholderQuotes

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

jvick posted:

Would you recommend a short or put option on GE instead?

I avoid stocks that seem to be circling oblivion. The slightest bit of hope causes them to soar, and shorting fees are generally too expensive. Not entirely similar, but SHLD is a good example. It could easily take another year or two to die. Just look at the Jan 2019 options. Puts at a strike of $3 are 1.50. That means it has to half to break even. And as Tokyo Sex Whale said, accounting trickery can cause this thing to go up for no apparent reason whenever some HF or PE group needs it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Jesus gently caress, GE. What a blood bath. I'm glad it's goon pretend money and not my real money.