Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I love the differences in beer laws around the US. In Oregon you can't even taste a beer while on duty at the bar, and meanwhile in Nebraska there was an 18-year-old bar backing at one of the tasting rooms in Lincoln.

(It was Zipline, which actually makes a really mean line of beer. I'd put them above Nebraska Brewing at least.)

I'm trying to find the correlation to drinking while on the clock to barbacking at 18, but I'm not finding it. Care to elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Midorka posted:

I'm trying to find the correlation to drinking while on the clock to barbacking at 18, but I'm not finding it. Care to elaborate?

It was just meant to illustrate that many states have very stringent laws related to liquor, and many states don't, in lots of different ways, and it's neat to see all the differences as you rapidly travel across the US.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It was just meant to illustrate that many states have very stringent laws related to liquor, and many states don't, in lots of different ways, and it's neat to see all the differences as you rapidly travel across the US.

I get ya there. Interesting tidbit for you then in NJ you can barback and bartend at 18 in NJ.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LeafHouse posted:

I've really liked the Avery gold foil bottles I've had but god drat are they crazy expensive around here. The shop by me wanted like 15 bucks for a 12 oz bottle of pumpKYn. If I'm
Paying over a dollar an ounce for a beer I better have to stand in line for the privilege of doing so!

That's only a slight markup from retail. I think they retail here, from the brewery, on release day for $12.50 / 12 oz. Or they might actually retail at $15/12oz, I forget.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

wodin posted:

They sell specialty stoppers that do a pretty good job of letting you space the beer across 2-3 days, but yeah, I definitely wish they did 375s.

I googled "beer saver bottle stopper" and the second result is a BA thread in reference to one that The Bruery sells haha. I don't know how I forgot about this. Might have to pick one up.

Speaking of The Bruery, here's a cool little puzzle. They're releasing vintage bottles at 2 AM Central every day for the next 12 days and put out this image as a hint. 3 I got right away but the rest are kinda tricky.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 12, 2014

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

That's only a slight markup from retail. I think they retail here, from the brewery, on release day for $12.50 / 12 oz. Or they might actually retail at $15/12oz, I forget.

They're $12 (tax included) at the release. I've seen them priced from $11.99 to $13.99 at stores in Colorado. Most of them are worth the price imo, Avery has few misses with their barrel aged beers.

SUPER HASSLER, if you do stop by Fort Collins on your way home let me know. Would love to grab some beers with you.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

crazyfish posted:

I haven't seen a lot of cellar raid posts, so I guess I'll kick this off. I present: 2012 Alesmith BA Speedway.

I put a gueze in my freezer late last night to sneak in for cellar raid weds, forgot about it and it exploded and made a huge loving mess. FML.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I googled "beer saver bottle stopper" and the second result is a BA thread in reference to one that The Bruery sells haha. I don't know how I forgot about this. Might have to pick one up.

Speaking of The Bruery, here's a cool little puzzle. They're releasing vintage bottles at 2 AM Central every day for the next 12 days and put out this image as a hint. 3 I got right away but the rest are kinda tricky.

12 = Black Tuesday
14 = Sucre
15 = Grey Monday
16 = Oude Tart w/Cherries
17 = 6 Geese A Laying?
18 = Sour in the Rye?
22 = 5 Golden Rings?
23 = Chocolate Rain?

Can't figure out any of the others.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

crazyfish posted:

12 = Black Tuesday
14 = Sucre
15 = Grey Monday
16 = Oude Tart w/Cherries
17 = 6 Geese A Laying?
18 = Sour in the Rye?
22 = 5 Golden Rings?
23 = Chocolate Rain?

Can't figure out any of the others.

13 seems to fit Windowsill the best, but supposedly there was none left
17 is likely (BA?) 6 Geese
19 is Melange #?
20 is most likely Rueuze
21 is Wanderer
22 is BA 5 Golden Rings
I'm still not sold on 23 being CR with GM being released earlier...

Zam fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ExtremistCow posted:

Scored some Bulleit Barrel Aged Ten Fidy tonight and it was goddamn perfect. I'd be hard pressed to pick a more artfully crafted stout than Ten Fidy (except maybe Expedition), and the barrel just takes it to another level. No adjuncts to get in the way and muddy the flavors, just amazing.

:gizz: I can't even imagine how good this would be. If it was in bottles I think this would be an obnoxious internet whale. And the Appleton rum barrel one... :negative:

Dem Bones posted:

Man, that sounds great, going to have to keep an eye out. And on the subject of Oskar Blues/Old Chub, Old Chub Nitro is great too. And, if you like nitro and Ten Fidy, you owe it to yourself to get some Left Hand Wake Up Dead Nitro. If Oskar Blues starts doing the obvious thing with their nitro production capabilities and putting out Ten Fidy Nitro cans, I probably actually will wake up dead.

Ehhh, I hate to be a negative nancy but Wake Up Dead is on a much lower level than Ten Fidy in my book. And I guess it doesn't help that I really don't care for nitro beers of any kind, but nitro Wake Up Dead sounds way inferior to regular Ten Fidy in every way. Good for a $5 bomber, way better than Lagunitas imperial stout, but just not anywhere near the top of my list. Ten Fity on the other hand is worth every penny, so much flavor. Nitro looks nice and it gives you that nice creamy foam or whatever, but it just tastes flat to me. I really do not understand it.

crazyfish posted:

I think it bore some resemblances to one of the iterations of Nemesis, but I don't care what it was before because I hated it.

Old post, but it's basically the same as 2009 Nemesis and tastes virtually identical--if not a bit better--to me. Wheatwines do seem to be pretty polarizing in general though, let alone ones aged in syrup barrels to increase the sweetness even more. It pressed the right buttons for me, but I can understand people hating it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

crazyfish posted:

I haven't seen a lot of cellar raid posts, so I guess I'll kick this off. I present: 2012 Alesmith BA Speedway.

I've never had BA Speedway fresh, but all I can say is that this bottle is really delicious. Toffee, caramel, and chocolate at the forefront with the coffee as a nice undercurrent. Coffee forward this is not, but I don't miss it too much, and I'm not getting the peppery character you'd get in a lot of aged coffee beers, so the aging of the coffee absolutely does not detract. I would drink this any day over aged BCBS coffee. I'm jealous of anyone that lives close to the brewery because I would likely max allotment on every bottle sale they do.

BA Alesmith beers of almost all types including Speedway are on the shelf in numerous locations around Wisconsin such as Sun Prairie and Appleton Woodmans, so if you want to do a couple hours (??) of driving, you should be able to satisfy your craving with ease. Also, say goodbye to at least $35 per bottle, which is why I never bought any.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

krustster posted:

BA Alesmith beers of almost all types including Speedway are on the shelf in numerous locations around Wisconsin such as Sun Prairie and Appleton Woodmans, so if you want to do a couple hours (??) of driving, you should be able to satisfy your craving with ease. Also, say goodbye to at least $35 per bottle, which is why I never bought any.

I had thought about driving up for Central Waters 17, but then I looked at finances and decided not to get a ticket. Glad, because the combo of BA Alesmith plus an allotment of CW 17 would have stung pretty bad.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Zam posted:

17 is likely (BA?) 6 Geese
19 is Melange #?
20 is most likely Rueuze
21 is Wanderer
22 is BA 5 Golden Rings
I'm still not sold on 23 being CR with GM being released earlier...

13 is a patchwork quilt, which is most likely one of the Melanges (which is odd as both Melange #1 and #3 are currently on sale).
I feel like 20 is probably White Chocolate.
And I'm not sure why they'd reserve a special sale for this, seeing as it started off as a Preservation-only beer but is now on shelves all over California, but I think that 19 is Ign(eo)us Fatuus.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I assume 13 is, ya know, Coton. Because it's cotton.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I assume 13 is, ya know, Coton. Because it's cotton.

Oh. drat. Good point.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

13 is a patchwork quilt, which is most likely one of the Melanges (which is odd as both Melange #1 and #3 are currently on sale).
I feel like 20 is probably White Chocolate.
And I'm not sure why they'd reserve a special sale for this, seeing as it started off as a Preservation-only beer but is now on shelves all over California, but I think that 19 is Ign(eo)us Fatuus.

13 being a Melange is a possibility, but the fact they are still on sale kind of weakens that concept to me - unless they go with an older vintage but that's pretty disappointing if so. I'll be curious to see if your guesses for 19/20 are correct as I question the use of a blonde for "White Chocolate" or even putting Ignis on sale again. But hey, never know, poo poo happens.

The first year of Bruery 12 Days at Provisions was great, and the following years have been fairly disappointing. Hopefully this year is much better, and it starts off with 2013 BT which was just posted.

Zam fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I love the differences in beer laws around the US. In Oregon you can't even taste a beer while on duty at the bar, and meanwhile in Nebraska there was an 18-year-old bar backing at one of the tasting rooms in Lincoln.

(It was Zipline, which actually makes a really mean line of beer. I'd put them above Nebraska Brewing at least.)

Visit Louisiana sometime, their liquor laws will make your head spin and that's just the differences between the parishes versus Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Zam posted:

21 is Wanderer

ISO!

could 23 be poo poo? the 23rd of December is a Tuesday... ISO that, too, if so

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

krustster posted:

Ehhh, I hate to be a negative nancy but Wake Up Dead is on a much lower level than Ten Fidy in my book. And I guess it doesn't help that I really don't care for nitro beers of any kind, but nitro Wake Up Dead sounds way inferior to regular Ten Fidy in every way. Good for a $5 bomber, way better than Lagunitas imperial stout, but just not anywhere near the top of my list. Ten Fity on the other hand is worth every penny, so much flavor. Nitro looks nice and it gives you that nice creamy foam or whatever, but it just tastes flat to me. I really do not understand it.

See, that's exactly why I'd be excited for Ten Fidy nitro, because regular Wake Up Dead is nothing special to me, but the nitro version is delicious. Since I already love regular Ten Fidy, I can only imagine a nitro version would be mind-breakingly good. It's just math!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So the Cuvee des Jacobins was pretty good; close enough to Duchesse and Monk's Cafe. Vichtenaar tasted much sweeter than those three. Not sure if that's just the batch I got (it seemed pretty fresh) or if that's the beer itself.

That place I went last night had a few different bottles of Allagash, including Curieux and Victoria Ale. I think I'll probably go back Sunday to get the Victoria, since beer with wine grapes has done me well so far. (Liquor stores open on Sunday! :woop:)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

ISO!

could 23 be poo poo? the 23rd of December is a Tuesday... ISO that, too, if so

According to the last RS email, they're not releasing the bottles because it's not "up to their standards". Translation: Infected.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Apparently Shaun Hill isn't all the bad -

Jackie O's, a small up and coming brewery in Athens Ohio, had a fire at their taproom last month. Cigar City, Crooked Stave, and Hill Farmstead all sent them kegs to help recoup some costs. They had Hunahpu, Everett, and St. Brett's on tap over the weekend.

I'm new to this thread but I've been trying to keep up on it, so I'm pretty ignorant to everything about beer besides the fact that it tastes good, so people/culture/etc. I have no idea of. This is the second or third time in here I've seen Hill mentioned like this, I'm wondering what the thread's view of him is? Some poo poo he's pulled in the past?

I met him once at the brewery and I can see why he might rub people the wrong way. Dude is super intense/opinionated on champagne, I'll say that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Maybe the universe doesn't want them to make clean beers.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

So what do I need to try from Boulevard when they venture into Ohio this January?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Quantrill posted:

So what do I need to try from Boulevard when they venture into Ohio this January?

Just buy all the Tank 7. You can thank me later.

It's a great beer at a totally reasonable price point.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Quantrill posted:

Tank 7. Or if you see Saison Brett on the shelf, buy a few.

mmartinx posted:

I'm wondering what the thread's view of him is? Some poo poo he's pulled in the past?

Have you read the poo poo he puts on his bottles?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Eejit posted:

Ouch. They're $9 in NJ.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

Ouch. They're $9 in NJ.

Weird that they mark it up for us straight from the brewery...

But it also is a well-established price point for this area. CS regular offerings are $7/375mL while their limited stuff (L'Brett D'Or, Nightmare on Brett, fruited versions of Surette or Origins) tends to be $12-14/375mL. That's definitely the top end, though. I can pick up Trinity sour 375s for $5.50 on occasion, as well as several sour 750s being just around $10. And NB Le Terroir and La Folie are $14/750mL. I don't get beer pricing around here, but there ya go.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

mmartinx posted:

I'm new to this thread but I've been trying to keep up on it, so I'm pretty ignorant to everything about beer besides the fact that it tastes good, so people/culture/etc. I have no idea of. This is the second or third time in here I've seen Hill mentioned like this, I'm wondering what the thread's view of him is? Some poo poo he's pulled in the past?

I met him once at the brewery and I can see why he might rub people the wrong way. Dude is super intense/opinionated on champagne, I'll say that.

I've only heard him mentioned in a 'pretentious' context. I've never, however, heard him mentioned as a generally bad person.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Quantrill posted:

As others have said, Tank 7 should be your starting point. IMO, their Smokestack series ranges from good to fantastic, with no real duds. Rye-on-Rye hits in January, so pick that up. Love Child usually gets released in late Spring, and is a standout AWA. Their collaborations vary pretty widely, but the most recent saison collab is solid. Basically you can't go wrong with anything they put in a 750ml bottle; their year-round six-pack offerings are all pretty pedestrian.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Saison Brett and Love Child are amazing. Tank 7 is good too but not my favorite. 80 acre is a good gumball head substitute that I always recommend to friends who like that style. Haven't had much else from them

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Congratulations on winning the El Catador Lottery. You can buy up to 2 2014 Hunahpu’s Imperial Stouts.

EDIT: Couldn't buy the bottles, and now they're gone from my Additional Products. A+ Website!

EDIT2: Now they're back but I can only buy 0 bottles. A++

EDIT3: Now they're gone again.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 12, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Congratulations on winning the El Catador Lottery. You can buy up to 2 2014 Hunahpu’s Imperial Stouts.

EDIT: Couldn't buy the bottles, and now they're gone from my Additional Products. A+ Website!

"You must enter a number between 1 and -3"

CLASSIC CIGAR CITY!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

EDIT2: Now they're back but I can only buy 0 bottles. A++

EDIT3: Now they're gone again.

I've learned from them to just give it a day before I try to buy the bottles. It can wait.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've learned from them to just give it a day before I try to buy the bottles. It can wait.

My trustee can pick up in like an hour though :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

My trustee can pick up in like an hour though :(

They can most likely pick it up monday as well. It'll be fine. In...Out...In...Out...In...Out

Besides you're just going to age it anyway, it doesn't need to be in your cellar asap.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spanish Manlove posted:

They can most likely pick it up monday as well. It'll be fine. In...Out...In...Out...In...Out

Besides you're just going to age it anyway, it doesn't need to be in your cellar asap.

"Our beer is poo poo after 6 months" -Girlkisser

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Oh man, managed to get the last 6-pack of Blood Orange Gose at the nearest shop carrying it. Now to figure out where I'm drinking tomorrow night.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

krustster posted:

:gizz: I can't even imagine how good this would be. If it was in bottles I think this would be an obnoxious internet whale. And the Appleton rum barrel one... :negative:

I had BA Ten Fidy at a fest a few years back and it was excellent. If they release it wide in cans it likely will be a "cool beer, bro" but if they follow the beer hype playbook and put it on wax with a limited bottle count people will lose their loving minds over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/GooseClybourn/status/543507221305655297/photo/1

The prediction that someone would die on Black Friday didn't happen, but maybe for this?