Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

Whenever I see someone driving one of those ridiculous trucks they never use for work, I see this -

it's pure performative i-am-an-rear end in a top hat-bully for small men, with unfortunately fatal consequences due to their insecurities (this never happens elsewhere in society, ofc). I talked to one of them the other day and it is 100% that. Scared little dudes who feel somehow inferior with a chip on their shoulder. Driving a tonka truck that costs them a grand+ a month and is killing us all, because they don't know anything better.

e: although, to me that f650 conversion is so absurdly over the top, it loops back around and seems more like a performance piece. I'd file that more under weird, rich eccentric making a spectacle.

I used to snicker every time I'd see a spotless pickup truck without a speck of dirt on it. Compared to the majority of trucks covered in dirt or hauling construction stuff or whatever. Grew up in a fairly rural area where these were common.

Today I saw many pickups while out and about and every one was pristine and shiny, no mud or dirt in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

liberalism is a loving blight on this earth

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

oh hey it's mitch trubisky's car

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol. Very pro-click and watch to the end.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lmao

and then lmao again!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lmfao pro click

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

cops get their own closed course where they can drive around and do PIT maneuvers on each other all day, and if people want to be able to hold a private driver’s license they have to do one day a month driving around their burg’s Murdertown in order to play the background. cops aren’t allowed anywhere else, or to do anything else. instant boost to quality of life across the board

we use the machine which we need to make, which instantly destroys cars no matter where they are, on all the other cars, that boost is tripled

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyJTRNBlAsM&t=173s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is one of the best things ever put on film lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Made a pilgrimage to one of our main roads with a two-lane bike lane protected by concrete flower boxes

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Made a pilgrimage to one of our main roads with a two-lane bike lane protected by concrete flower boxes

i wish that was me

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

lol owned

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Almost got smoked in a crosswalk by a guy turning left just now. He didn't even slow down or change course, just put his hand out in a 'sorry' gesture. What a loving loser.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

he didn't slow down because he realized it's better to get out of your way ASAP than prolong your delay

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

witnesses the aftermath of a gnarly crash at an intersection of a busy street in the city today. car tboned another and smashed the front up good. unclear which car ran a light but at least one did. there was a third car with its back bumper and some other parts missing.

sucks that one or more drivers chose to drive like a maniac today and now several people's day and foreseeable future is ruined as a result. cars - a menace.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

witnesses the aftermath of a gnarly crash at an intersection of a busy street in the city today. car tboned another and smashed the front up good. unclear which car ran a light but at least one did. there was a third car with its back bumper and some other parts missing.

sucks that one or more drivers chose to drive like a maniac today and now several people's day and foreseeable future is ruined as a result. cars - a menace.

yeah but imagine if the person who was tboned wasn't in a car - they'd probably be dead...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Simply drive a tank and you'll be safe from collisions, last I checked you could buy a T-55 for like 100k.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gonna ride my bike today. And probably every day this week.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm in Germany and there are lots of bikes and the cars are a reasonable size (still bad though)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
first a lil bit of OSHA.mp4 and then some lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wWw3nNq4o&t=54s

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm in Germany and there are lots of bikes and the cars are a reasonable size (still bad though)

Are the cars an actual reasonable size (one seat for the single occupancy) or a reasonable size compared to the transatlantic models that will soon require an elevator because that's too many stairs?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

that’s the good poo poo

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Thank you officer for making our roads safer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BonHair posted:

Are the cars an actual reasonable size (one seat for the single occupancy) or a reasonable size compared to the transatlantic models that will soon require an elevator because that's too many stairs?
The cars are fine. In fact this German car group crashed a bunch of cars into bikes to show that it is, in fact, the bikes that are unsafe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_BDP2mkhs

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Don Pigeon posted:

Speeding is a god-given right so clearly it is the guy-who-moved-into-the-intersection-without-looking's fault

He is likely doing 2km/hr over the speed limit.

webcams for christ posted:

650s look pretty normal as a part of a box truck

but the conversion next to an actual tractor unit looks like a toy for children blown-up to like, even larger than life-size

they don't look real lmao

This doesn't look normal, afaik only in America are such cab behind engine layouts common in this sort of weight class. Most of the world uses a more compact cab over engine design. One reason for this is the Federal Bridge Gross Weight Formula encouraging longer trucks, but I suspect another is this more phallic design appeals to the American psyche.

Simply drive a tank and you'll be safe from collisions, last I checked you could buy a T-55 for like 100k.

You may not be impartial.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weka posted:

This doesn't look normal, afaik only in America are such cab behind engine layouts common in this sort of weight class. Most of the world uses a more compact cab over engine design. One reason for this is the Federal Bridge Gross Weight Formula encouraging longer trucks, but I suspect another is this more phallic design appeals to the American psyche.

Americans just love to irritate each other and this trolling has become institutionalized, that's all. We drive giant annoyance machines because that's what we do.

Talk to an older American and they'll tell you what they're mad about today within ten minutes.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Weka posted:

lol

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Come to think of it, why isn't this a thing? Tracked vehicles aren't prohibited on most roads, obviously most drivers don't care about fuel efficiency, you get to be the most conspicuous vehicle around, and more modern tanks can get reasonably close to highway speeds. This would be terrible for everyone else near a road, but it's surprising the lifted dually truck crowd hasn't tried.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ehh the fact that it's difficult to get a tracked vehicle to break 50 mph probably has a lot to do with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I also imagine that the controls are slightly different and the visibility is a whole new world of not there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

I also imagine that the controls are slightly different and the visibility is a whole new world of not there.

I don't think the people driving lifted trucks give a poo poo about visibility

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Weka posted:

He is likely doing 2km/hr over the speed limit.

My understanding is that cab-over designs are more popular in places where trucks are taxed by length but they may be more difficult / time consuming to work on / maintain

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think the people driving lifted trucks give a poo poo about visibility

on the contrary, being that that high up gives a 360 degree view of the battlesphere (road)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Come to think of it, why isn't this a thing? Tracked vehicles aren't prohibited on most roads, obviously most drivers don't care about fuel efficiency, you get to be the most conspicuous vehicle around, and more modern tanks can get reasonably close to highway speeds. This would be terrible for everyone else near a road, but it's surprising the lifted dually truck crowd hasn't tried.

You would be breaking track and doing a full replacement at least weekly or paying for a crew of 4-6 dudes a full day of wages to do it for you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

500excf type r posted:

You would be breaking track and doing a full replacement at least weekly or paying for a crew of 4-6 dudes a full day of wages to do it for you.

Why do you hate job creators? I bet those poor unemployed yacht builders could even be taught to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

500excf type r posted:

My understanding is that cab-over designs are more popular in places where trucks are taxed by length but they may be more difficult / time consuming to work on / maintain

pros of cabover: looks cooler, better turn radius, better visibility

cons of cabover: maintenance is more difficult due to engine access, less safe due to lack of crumple zones