Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I recently had my vet e-mail me my cat Jackie's medical files over the last 10+ years, and it was pretty amusing (and a bit scary) to read through the PDF and like, see what the various vet techs have been saying about my cat (and myself!) at times - like "O says cat is capable of cleaning own butt, am not convinced" :xd:

It was pretty cool saying just how much weight Jackie has officially lost in the last two years since we left Maine, though - in December 2019 she was recorded at 15.92 pounds, and as of two weeks ago she weighed in officially at 12.11 pounds. She's still a little on the chunky side, but it really is an amazing difference; I mean, she has visible hips for the first time since I adopted her, for instance! It's very gratifying to see, and I sincerely do hope it extends her life by any amount of time. It's very tough to imagine what my life is going to be like without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Every once in a while I take a photo that captures my cats' personalities perfectly

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I got my sponsorship letter from the shelter for Jasper and they gave me a picture of him at a few months old :kimchi:

He was a sweetheart then and he's still one now.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Here is my angel baby Steve, sleeping everywhere except his bed, just to round out this little black cat cuties on the page

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been a few days on the liquid medication for Leela and it's been going much better, it's a clear liquid that tastes like chicken and we only need .5ml of it so I can put a drop of it literally on top of her food and give it to her and she'll munch it down. We got some of those Iams brand wet food packages that snap into halves because she loves that poo poo and it's not a lot of food so I know she's eating all of it with the medicine on it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Black cat gang!

As always, they’re sick of my poo poo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

explosivo posted:

It's been a few days on the liquid medication for Leela and it's been going much better, it's a clear liquid that tastes like chicken and we only need .5ml of it so I can put a drop of it literally on top of her food and give it to her and she'll munch it down. We got some of those Iams brand wet food packages that snap into halves because she loves that poo poo and it's not a lot of food so I know she's eating all of it with the medicine on it.

Glad to hear :unsmith:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Black cat gang!

As always, they’re sick of my poo poo.

Sounds about right. We have several in my shelter room and only Jasper and Shari don't look at me like they hate me constantly. (Beatrix, at least, just looks that way and doesn't actually hate me. Emmett and Victoria... jury is still out.)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kimchi is so big now!

Balancing out the black cats with this baby...

Wednesday has gone from kinda scrawny kitten-looking cat when we first got her:

To luxurious floofy healthy cat 1.5 years later:

It is Shedageddon pt1 currently and everything is hair, hairballs, and more hair. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 11, 2021

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounds about right. We have several in my shelter room and only Jasper and Shari don't look at me like they hate me constantly. (Beatrix, at least, just looks that way and doesn't actually hate me. Emmett and Victoria... jury is still out.)

They both just hate it when I get my phone out to take pictures, which I do about 35 times a day so I can't blame them.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Kimchi is so big now!

Balancing out the black cats with this baby...

Wednesday has gone from kinda scrawny kitten-looking cat when we first got her:

To luxurious floofy healthy cat 1.5 years later:

It is Shedageddon pt1 currently and everything is hair, hairballs, and more hair. Wouldn't change it for the world.

My god, she's beautiful. Kimchi is really filling out! Pretty much Katya's size now although it's hard to tell with her floof, she's not done growing yet either so the tables are about to turn 😈

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would love to have a black cat. But I haven't been graced with one since junior high

I could always go out and find one but I grew up in small town Ohio so you basically just gained cats. Actually picking a cat feels wrong somehow

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I would love to have a black cat. But I haven't been graced with one since junior high

I could always go out and find one but I grew up in small town Ohio so you basically just gained cats. Actually picking a cat feels wrong somehow

Same, jealous of all these house panthers

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Since we've had black cats and white cats, obviously it's time for tuxies. :neckbeard:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
My room mates' cat has started grabbing onto hands (with all four legs) and nibbling (not painfully, hardly any force). Is this a problem and should I do anything about it?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CatBlack posted:

My room mates' cat has started grabbing onto hands (with all four legs) and nibbling (not painfully, hardly any force). Is this a problem and should I do anything about it?

It doesn't sound like you're bothered by it, but if you think the behavior will be annoying you can discourage it by disengaging with the cat when he/she tries that. If there's any hard biting, definitely make a little sound and ignore the cat for a while, but as far as I'm concerned love bites are no big deal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Five of their six ends are pointy, it's an hazard of having a cat around

The Good Idea is like the other poster said and make a loud noise and stop playing with them when it happens. This teaches the cat the concept of "too rough" (my partner did this)

The Bad Idea is to think it's adorable and let it happen (I did this)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Len posted:

The Bad Idea is to think it's adorable and let it happen (I did this)

I wrassle with this dipshit all the time. It would be a problem for him to be chewing on other people like he is on my hand here, but fortunately I haven't had any company since early 2020 :(

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 13, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CatBlack posted:

Aleta loves doing this, but she's very good about not using her claws or teeth. Most of the time she ends up just wanting to snuggle our hands, anyways. I think it's just normal play behavior.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got it. She's been doing it for about a week and pretty frequently during petting. My hands are still pristine so I don't mind it at all.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Loki is very liberal with his love bites. And love claws. I really should discourage him but he's so cute :kimchi:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
This has been a hotly debated issue in our household, lol. I've always been very firm about discouraging play with nails and teeth involved, especially since both Katya and Kimchi would go knives out like we're cats too, but my partner looooves to wrestle the cats and then complain that his allergic rear end has scratches that get extra itchy and irritated.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have two older cats and one of them is starting some new behaviors that are starting to become A Real Problem.

It started with him making GBS threads outside of the litter box and has now graduated to him pissing outside of it. He's not doing it to be an rear end in a top hat I don't think because he always gets really close to the box... just never actually gets in it. There are two litter boxes and I clean them once or twice a day at this point.

I took him to the vet and they did a urinalysis and some blood work and didn't find anything biologically at work that would explain this.

I'm wondering if it's maybe a mobility thing? Like he maybe finds it hard to get over the lip of the box? Do they make litter boxes for old lazy cats?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I have two older cats and one of them is starting some new behaviors that are starting to become A Real Problem.

It started with him making GBS threads outside of the litter box and has now graduated to him pissing outside of it. He's not doing it to be an rear end in a top hat I don't think because he always gets really close to the box... just never actually gets in it. There are two litter boxes and I clean them once or twice a day at this point.

I took him to the vet and they did a urinalysis and some blood work and didn't find anything biologically at work that would explain this.

I'm wondering if it's maybe a mobility thing? Like he maybe finds it hard to get over the lip of the box? Do they make litter boxes for old lazy cats?

We got this for our arthritic cat and she seems to like it!

https://argeecorp.com/products/table-top-gardener%C2%AE-portable-potting-tray

You could also cut up a rubbermaid container to make a door for the cat, but this one is ready-made, sturdy, and washes up easily.

Also a small ramp could help, if it's really just getting in/out of the box that's the problem.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve heard of people using sheet pans (like for baking) as a litter box for that sort of problem. You’d probably have to scoop it a lot but it would keep the mess off the floor.

With my old pissy cat I used a big vinyl table cloth on the floor for the litter box area. It worked ok.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone have a coupon for the litter robot? finally have the space to get one.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone have a coupon for the litter robot? finally have the space to get one.

Here ya go!

https://www.talkable.com/x/ZvAgbO

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks!

Having trouble understanding why the cabinet + hutch bundle is 897.99 when the litter robot is 499.00 and the cabinet + hutch is 379.00? which makes the bundle is $20 more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: oh it's the warranty

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 12, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks!

Having trouble understanding why the cabinet + hutch bundle is 897.99 when the litter robot is 499.00 and the cabinet + hutch is 379.00? which makes the bundle is $20 more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: oh it's the warranty

If you do get the hutch can you post how you like it? I’m kinda on the fence about it.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Unfortunately my other eighteen year old cat had to be euthanized this week. It was for the best since she was seizing and the vet was adamant that she was extremely unlikely to have much quality of life even if they did manage to pull her through. That’s two cat buddies lost in just a few months. :(

Very sad, but that does give me space for a couple of new friends. A cat-free home feels empty. It’s weirdly difficult to get a cat from a rescue/shelter. I can only assume it’s pandemic induced demand related, but shelters around here are demanding data like date of birth and driver’s license number. It’s bizarre, but then I haven’t gotten any new pets in over a decade. Is this the norm now?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If you're in the Cincinnati area I know someone with two kittens they're trying to adopt out

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

He's still in sick cat jail after major dental extraction and an upper respiratory infection, but Jasper is doing a ton better. He's so trusting too - he escaped on me when I was visiting with him, so to get him back I sat down so he could get on my lap. Climbed up onto me, I held him, he sprung out like a rabbit and... turned right back around and came right back to me. :kimchi:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Took Trina for a long walk in the park this afternoon and it still amazes me how many dogs and people will do a double-take in sudden realization that she's a cat only once they get within five feet. Sometimes it takes a behavior that screams "cat!" like chasing butterflies, jumping five times her height, or climbing a tree.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I have a 3 month old foster kitten who is obsessed with licking my face. It's horribly adorable and annoying.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 16, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Face meat is the best meat

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

mcmagic posted:

I have a 3 month old foster kitten who is obsessed with licking my face. It's horribly adorable and annoying.
Loaf is addicted to licking my toes. I do not like it.

Cats!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Loucks posted:

Unfortunately my other eighteen year old cat had to be euthanized this week. It was for the best since she was seizing and the vet was adamant that she was extremely unlikely to have much quality of life even if they did manage to pull her through. That’s two cat buddies lost in just a few months. :(

Very sad, but that does give me space for a couple of new friends. A cat-free home feels empty. It’s weirdly difficult to get a cat from a rescue/shelter. I can only assume it’s pandemic induced demand related, but shelters around here are demanding data like date of birth and driver’s license number. It’s bizarre, but then I haven’t gotten any new pets in over a decade. Is this the norm now?

sorry for your loss :glomp:

when i adopted my cat friends about 5 years ago from a rescue, i think i had to show some form of ID and provide an alternate caretaker if i died or couldnt care for my cats. i think i also had to fill out a questionnaire that asked about my job and general lifestyle. some places are super selective.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre
gd does anyone have any thoughts/advice on cross-country move with anxious cat? y'all might remember my cat got really sick with pancreatitis last year (doing better now, stable af) but i just got a new job 2,000 miles away. i've been planning on driving with him in the backseat, in a big travel cage.

only last night did i think about taking him on a flight, but it seems so awful to shove them under the seat in front of you screaming for 6 hours. also gabapentin is given to my cat whenever he is in the car (the vet treating his pancreas was an hour away) but it seems to have basically no effect.

e: he just turned 11 and is way more resilient than i give him credit for, but definitely not a cat who enjoys new experiences or "adventuring" LOL

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

jimmychoo posted:

gd does anyone have any thoughts/advice on cross-country move with anxious cat? y'all might remember my cat got really sick with pancreatitis last year (doing better now, stable af) but i just got a new job 2,000 miles away. i've been planning on driving with him in the backseat, in a big travel cage.

only last night did i think about taking him on a flight, but it seems so awful to shove them under the seat in front of you screaming for 6 hours. also gabapentin is given to my cat whenever he is in the car (the vet treating his pancreas was an hour away) but it seems to have basically no effect.

e: he just turned 11 and is way more resilient than i give him credit for, but definitely not a cat who enjoys new experiences or "adventuring" LOL

congrats on the new job! :toot:

here's a good post by mistaya about traveling with your cat long distances (click to get the quoted portion of their post):

mistaya posted:

Just gonna quote myself since I've made this post a few times now:

A harness is a good idea so you can easily and firmly grab your cat if necessary but otherwise do not let the cat out of the carrier. They're not dogs, they don't want to go for walkies at a rest stop, and taking them out of the car in general is just asking for trouble. Drug kitty in the morning, kitty sleeps all day, kitty has fun exploring the hotel room at night. That's the ideal.

here's an okay-ish post by me about traveling with two very different cat personality types:

durrneez posted:

I drove across country over 5 days with my cats and definitely, definitely ask your vet for tranqs. Fat cat is very confident and only needed them on the last day. Shy cat was terrified the whole time, poor guy.

Also, depending on your cat, they might want to hang out in the cabin with you. Fat cat meowed like crazy at the start of the trip. Since he's a fairly a well-behaved and confident boy, I let him out and he perched on top of all of our stuff on the backseat and peered out the front windshield. He had the time of his life. I shoved shy cat into a dark corner of the car and he liked that he was hidden.

I kept fat cat in a harness while we were driving and put the leash on before any doors were opened in case he darted out.

i recommend talking to your vet about your move and your cat's experiences on gaba. maybe they can prescribe something else.

is there enough time to train your cat to associate the car with good things? this took me about 2-3 weeks to do with The Fat One but he is very food motivated and is more on the confident side.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Hey cat thread. Does anyone have suggestions for an escape-proof cat harness? My tortie could really benefit from some outside time but she's capable of wriggling out of her current harness if she tries hard enough.

Bonus points if it's in Canada or at least has non-exorbitant shipping. :canada:

cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Our newest member of the family is Bailey, who’s been with us for about three weeks now. When we adopted her from the shelter they told us she had an upper respiratory infection and needed medicine for the first week we had her.

While the conjunctivitis in her eye has cleared up, I still hear her sneeze semi-regularly. Plus I’ve noticed in recent days she aggressively licks and scratches herself all over, like she’s chasing itches. Is there something else at work here? Allergies maybe? I hope she’s not allergic to people :ohdear:

The sneezy itchy cat in question:

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1390083632870694912?s=21